Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 13 of 13[ 502 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Re: Fire Emblem seriesTopic%20Title

Just a heads-up that it's Anna's Gift Day and to be sure to pick the Witch's Mark and not the stupid Ballistician thing

Eurgh, I'm still waiting on Fates in the UK... doesn't come out until next month. I'm still torn between which one I want though. I just wonder why we always get things last in this day and age! I'm trying so hard not to watch anything related to it on youtube but I'm starting to look at the odd one or two. Is it better than awakening?
Currently Playing: JfA & FFXIV

Gettin' Old!

Flonne wrote:
Eurgh, I'm still waiting on Fates in the UK... doesn't come out until next month. I'm still torn between which one I want though. I just wonder why we always get things last in this day and age! I'm trying so hard not to watch anything related to it on youtube but I'm starting to look at the odd one or two. Is it better than awakening?

In fairness we get some things first *strokes Xenoblade and Last Window*
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Pierre wrote:
Flonne wrote:

In fairness we get some things first *strokes Xenoblade and Last Window*

This is true! I've yet to play Xenoblade but that's another story! :P Sometimes it feels like they forget about us though. Thinking we're too occupied with drinking tea to play games.

In the case of Last Window us Yanks didn't get it at all. Thankfully DS games aren't region locked.

General consensus on Fates is gameplay is better than Awakening but story is worse. Birthright is closest gameplay-wise to Awakening since you can grind endlessly and mission objectives are pretty much "beat all enemies" or "beat the boss". Conquest is considerably harder since objectives are more varied and you can't grind (though you can get around this with DLC.)

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
In the case of Last Window us Yanks didn't get it at all. Thankfully DS games aren't region locked.

General consensus on Fates is gameplay is better than Awakening but story is worse. Birthright is closest gameplay-wise to Awakening since you can grind endlessly and mission objectives are pretty much "beat all enemies" or "beat the boss". Conquest is considerably harder since objectives are more varied and you can't grind (though you can get around this with DLC.)

I'm leaning towards Conquest I think. To be honest I didn't really think Awakening had a complex story (I don't know if there was anything post-game that I missed though so that might be different) I always kind of knew what was going to happen before it had happened. I'm glad that there are some characters returning from Awakening (not going to spoil just in case) as they happen to be my favourite characters.

Do you see the black one...or the white?

I'm one of the few who liked the stories in Fates more than Awakening's, but for me, it's probably more the fact that the story felt more focused than Awakening's. I felt Awakening's beginning was strong, but then it just trailed off for quite some time before getting back on track. I'll admit though that the story in Fates is nothing to write home about, but out of the three, I do feel Revelations had the better story, followed by Birthright and then Conquest. If it means anything, I do like the world in Fates more than Awakening's.

I will say though, I do feel that Conquest had the better overall cast compared to Birthright's though and I did quite enjoy Conquest's gameplay. I will say too, I feel the gameplay is overall better than Awakening's. They refined the partner system that's used in battle and I really like that it's much more fair now that enemies can use it too. And things that were really OP in Awakening got quite the nerf. I do feel that bows are much better in Fates though.
On April 3, 2016, Court Records Forums experienced a miracle upon that day.
CatMuto wrote:
Pierre wrote:
Man...that looks dull...this actually makes me worried for KH3 (since that team worked on the battle system)

I feel the same

So Boo Camp sucks and I'm going to rant about it a little bit

For those who don't know, Boo Camp is the DLC experience grinding map. It's similar to the one in Awakening with the escaping zombies, only this time there's a lot more of them and they're in a fairly open map so they're easy to reach. Gold zombies will try to escape, but green ones will attack you if you're within their range. They also don't carry Counter like the Awakening zombies did, and gold ones give you at least 20 XP per kill. Sounds pretty good so far, right?

Well, it would be if a bunch of the gold zombies didn't have Wary Fighter (neither unit can double attack, meaning if you don't crit or trigger something like Astra, there's no possible way to kill them in one shot), Sol (can heal when they counterattack you), Miracle (can survive a fatal attack), and/or Aegis/Pavise (chance of cutting damage from certain types of attacks in half). Then there's the stupid golem monsters that have a five range attack that freezes you in place for a turn if it hits (it doesn't even have to do damage, and usually it won't unless your defense is unusually low). So your experience monsters have skills making it harder to kill them, giving them a better chance of escaping (remember, the gold ones won't attack you, only counterattack) and you have other monsters that give piddling experience and serve no other purpose than to lock you down so the zombies can escape. There's no extra challenge to this, it's just obnoxious and makes you do the map that many more times.

If this was included in the main game or free DLC it wouldn't be a big deal, but the fact that you have to pay extra for the right to grind against annoying monsters (and it's the only option for grinding in Conquest) isn't cool

Gettin' Old!

Yeah I'm basically only using it for relationship farming at this point (gotta find a great wife for Arthur! He deserves the best!)

Plus I find some of the enemies are actually pretty brutal. The huge.monsters might not attack themselves but as Franzise mentioned its difficult to kill them in one hit meaning you take a really heavy counterattack from them. Also the weaker monsters will get support attacks from them which can also do a number on you.

Still I feel there's more ranged weapons in this game than ever so its less of a problem that say...counter was in the Awakening grind map.

Like Kodachi weren't around before so a swordmaster had to work with one of.the crappy ranged magic swords to get any use out of that map back then.

By the way speaking of swords...I find myself super reluctant to use any weapon above steel category because they all come with stat debuffs now and I find that super off putting. Anyone else feel the same? Pretty much only spending my money on forging and healing staffs now.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

Basically, silver weapons are pretty trash, some of the S-rank weapons though...

So Heroes is addicting af, rip my phone battery

"You MUST be grateful!" is a top-tier meme, if it doesn't catch on I'll be sorely disappointed

Gettin' Old!

Is it good then Franzise? What kinda paid options are there
Made by Chesu+Zombee

For a F2P game it's not bad at all

Story is super-dumb but considering you're building an army from characters from a bunch of previous FE games that shouldn't be too shocking

Combat is very Fire Emblem albeit simplified; each character can equip one basic attack, one support action, and what's basically a Limit Break (after you take enough actions, it automatically activates in place of your next attack/support action), along with three skills. All of those either come unlocked on the character (usually higher rank ones start with more stuff unlocked) or can be bought with Skill Points which are gained like EXP

You set characters in four-person teams in advance rather than deploying each unit individually, though you can have multiple teams and the stage tells you in advance what weapon types the enemies will have so you can plan accordingly

The biggest downside to the characters is you're very much at the gacha's mercy; other than the daily special missions that let you recruit certain characters, you'll need Orbs to play for more chances to get who you want (and the special missions only give a two-star version of the character of the day at best; you generally want something four-star or higher unless it's someone super-useful like Olivia)

The nice thing about the characters is you can upgrade the star rank on each of them if you're willing to put in enough work, more stars means access to more skills

Orbs can be gained by clearing stages or bought with cash, 23 Orbs costs $12.99 and gets you five character draws if you do them all at the same time

Gettin' Old!

Hmm I suppose this is the question of all F2P stuff.

Do you think the paywall ever gets so high or inaccessible that you can't have fun and still play for free.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Unless you absolutely won't be happy unless you have a specific rare character, no, the game throws enough orbs at you that you should be able to form a decent-enough team for free and there's training maps to level up on if you need it

In Justice We Trust

Fire Emblem: Echoes has definitely forced me to rethink my general strategy. Several of the maps, in an effort to stay true to the game it's based on, are largely featureless, limiting the use of choke points and forcing me to focus more heavily on formation-heavy tactics and seeking opportunities to encircle the enemy--not always an option, considering how frequently the enemy outnumbers me unless they come at me piecemeal.

June 13 Edit: [censored] Witches.
I'll always love you, Max.

In Justice We Trust

Please excuse the double post, but I think it's justified, considering that Three Houses is out now.

I'm definitely enjoying it. Certainly, there are some things I disliked, such as the return of gender-exclusive classes and the low variety of top-tier classes, but these are ultimately nitpicks--the difference between an A and an A+, if you will.

I'll admit to having mixed feelings about the lack of a "Revelation" route, though I'm ultimately in favor of such a route not existing. On the one hand, there being no "Revelation" route means that it's possible for every route to contain the unavoidable death of a character the player really likes. That said, even Revelation had a couple of unavoidable deaths. I'm also not sure how much room there would even be for a "Revelation" route in Three Houses, considering the nature of each faction's goals--though I can't really go into more detail there without entering spoiler territory. The main reason I like there being no "Revelation" route, though, is that I feel it helps drive home both the player character's significance and the autonomy of the characters they interact with; yes, the player character's presence in or absence from the lives of some characters can mean the difference between life and death for those characters, but there's also a limit to how much the player character can influence everyone--though again, I can't go into more detail without spoiling things.

I'm not yet sure which route I'll ultimately favor. I've experienced part of the Black Eagles route and all of the Blue Lions and Golden Deer routes. I suppose it all depends on how I feel about Edelgard and/or Hubert once I'm done with the full Black Eagles route I started today, since those two characters are exclusive to the Black Eagles route. Admittedly, though, every route would involve me missing out on at least one character I'm quite fond of, so I imagine it'll ultimately be a question of whom I'm least willing to not have in my party--or failing that, whom I'm least willing to have to kill after the timeskip.

Gettin' Old!

I hear there's a hidden fourth route with the Black Eagles that's 'meant' to be played last. Maybe that's the revelations route?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

In Justice We Trust

I've seen some footage of the alleged fourth route, but I have yet to personally experience it. From what I can gather, no, it's not a "Revelation" route, nor does it strike me as intended to be played last.

Spoiler: What I know about the fourth route (WARNING: Chapter 11 spoilers for every route)
I've told some lies of omission regarding the Black Eagles route. The Black Eagles route does indeed diverge during Chapter 11, and one route requires some action on the player's part while the other is the "default" route (i. e. you're locked into it unless you do certain things before and after that month's mission). However, which route qualifies as the "fourth" route is itself a matter of perspective. I've experienced the "default" route in its entirety, and it involves the player character siding with Rhea and the Church after defeating the Flame Emperor. I've seen it called the "Church of Seiros" route, and the player character is the de facto Lord for that route with Edelgard and the Adrestian Empire being the main antagonists. What I referred to as the "fourth route" is in fact the route in which the player character sides with Edelgard. In order to access it, you need to do three things. First, you need to witness the player character's C+ Support Conversation with Edelgard. Second, once you've witnessed the conversation, you need to speak with Edelgard while exploring the monastery during Chapter 11 and agree to go with her to Enbarr. Third, when Rhea orders you to execute Edelgard after the battle, you must defy the order.

Gettin' Old!

Spoiler: In Reply to Above
It just seems her methods are so evil :sadshoe: I don't think I could ever imagine being sympathetic to her cause now knowing the things she at least condoned if not outright cooperated in. I'd get to that plotline and cut her down in a second.

Made by Chesu+Zombee

Gettin' Old!

Double posting with ending thoughts

Overall a great game although I feel the ending I got felt like it needed an extra chapter? The final boss really felt like they came out of nowhere with little explanation. It also didn't feel dramatic enough the same way other final bosses have. Also hardly any of my characters paired up at the end. I guess I just don't know the mechanics for it but I guess this is fine. I'm definitely in favour of not having to grind for an eternity to make pairings.

Spoiler: Golden Deer Endgame Spoilers
Alright to go into specifics more, I suppose I'd hoped there'd be more anti-church sentiment as Claude seemed to lean that with with his pro-internationalism stance. Also I feel I blinked and I missed the moment where Rhea died offscreen which made everything easier for him. I mean she took like a straight up missile or two to the face so I don't know why they bothered having her survive that cutscene only to die offscreen in a bed in the monastery without any fanfare.

There's also still other questions I'm not sure about. Why did Nemesis show up suddenly? Where did the Agarthans get all their tech? Why are Flayn and Seteth clearly saints but no one talks about it? This game hides little bits of lore deep in the support conversations so they are real easy to miss. Claude's Almyran roots are spoiled in support conversations long before the plot would dare reveal it. I guess maybe the secrets are buried in other plots since this was clearly about multiple playthroughs.

Really I felt there was going to be more to it. I expected a darker secret to the church other than (oh yeah we have the power to turn into beasts cause we're aliens). I thought there might be a secret in why he is called just "Nemesis". I thought with the cool monster mechanics they had created that they might give us a mighty monster final battle akin to other Fire Emblems which made this ending feel a bit tamer and more straightforward than I suspected going in.

It also would have been nice to S-rank before the literal credits. Really the only thing S-rank gets you it a hug and a end title card. Would have been nice to have actually fought side by side with your partner or have the plot acknowledge it at some point as an event in the monastery. Could have a grand wedding with all the house present.

Also it's a small thing but a nice touch. I really like how Claude defeats Nemesis in the cutscene with strategy rather than brute force or sheer skill.

Still a second playthrough will Be good except for the massive fear that I'll need to kill Claude or my old classmates somewhere along the way. Golden Deer always truest to my heart.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

In Justice We Trust

Just finished Chapter 14 of the Black Eagles route.

Spoiler: Black Eagles, Chapters 1 through 14
Derdriu has fallen. I had managed to recruit all the Golden Deer save for Hilda and Claude into my class before the war (Claude won't join for obvious reasons, and while I have a hunch, I don't think the game ever stated why exactly Hilda can't be recruited on this route), so those two were the only former students I had to face. Thankfully, while Hilda will die if you defeat her, it is possible to win the battle without killing her. As for Claude, it is also possible to spare him after defeating him. I managed to avoid killing Hilda (though she did get nicked by a few arrows from a couple of Fusillade gambits) and I also spared Claude. Here's hoping he and Hilda won't have scripted deaths later on...

On a different note, I'll admit that the game really should have done more to call attention to each character's reasons for siding with Edelgard. While I can infer their reasons based on what I know of them (Ingrid and Sylvain, for example, both resent how their lives have been dictated by their Crests and could conceivably see the Empire as a path to freedom from said Crests, considering Edelgard's stated views and goals), I would have preferred for the game to be clearer about it.

On another different note, I do like how I'm able to interact with Ladislava, Randolph, and Fleche, even if they're all NPCs. It's also nice to see Bernadetta out and about. I guess something about serving the Empire for five years helped her come out of her shell, even if only a bit.

I might have more to say later on, especially about a certain two characters who are exclusive to this route, but it's getting rather late on my end, so I'll save any further thoughts for some other time.

September 21 (well September 22 for most of the world) Edit:

Well, I just completed the Black Eagles route, and boy am I glad it was the last one for me to do a complete playthrough of. Having now also gotten a good sense of how I like to perceive my character's potential bond with Edelgard on this route, I can now say confidently that I count myself among the crew of the S.S. Byleth × Marianne.

Spoiler: Black Eagles route in its entirety
At eighteen chapters (not counting exclusive paralogues), the "Crimson Flower" route is the shortest. I've got mixed feelings about the route ending with Rhea's defeat despite Thales and his minions still being around at that point. On the one hand, I would have liked to wipe them out myself rather than just take the game's word for it that they were eliminated later on. On the other hand, considering the overall theme of the route and its focus on parting with outdated traditions, having Rhea as the final boss strikes me as more thematically appropriate--it doesn't hurt that the final chapter as a whole is quite the spectacle. Unless some future DLC adds some chapters for the Empire taking out Those Who Slither in the Dark, it's safe to say the final fight between Edelgard and Thales will be limited to fan fiction. Frankly, I've half a mind to write such a story myself, so I'm honestly not that bothered by Thales remaining unfought. That said, the developers might have been able to include more missions for dealing with Leicester, Faerghus, and the Church to bump up the route's length, though that would carry with it the risk of said missions being nothing but filler.

On a positive note, it's possible to complete this route with only Dedue, Dimitri, and Rhea having to die. To my relief, Claude and Hilda don't have scripted deaths later in the route, and it's possible to take out Rhea without killing Catherine, Gilbert, or Cyril (sadly, thanks to where he was positioned and my forces being low on the gambits necessary to make him hold still, I was unable to avoid fighting and killing Cyril during my playthrough).

Spoiler: All routes
One thing I've noticed about three of the primary characters (Rhea, Edelgard, and Dimitri) is that what they're like hinges on which route the player goes with. Essentially, the player character's influence makes them better people than they otherwise would have been. I like that; I feel it simultaneously shows the player character's significance in the story and provides a fuller picture of who each character is--or rather who each character can be depending on whom they do and don't have in their respective lives. Without the player character there to help him come to his senses, Dimitri is constantly haunted by the memories of everyone who died in the Tragedy of Duscur and pursues revenge with no regard for his own life or those of his companions, ultimately dying because of his inability to focus on serving the living. Likewise, without the player character and her classmates there to provide moral support and an alternative to the Agarthans' weapons and soldiers, Edelgard becomes numb to the cost of her ambitions and unwilling to accept defeat, refusing any offers of peace even when her own body is failing her. As for Rhea, she flat-out loses it if the player character sides with Edelgard; after being defeated at the Tailtean Plains, Rhea flees with her remaining forces to Fhirdiad, refuses to evacuate the civilians as the Imperial Army approaches, and sets the city ablaze when Edelgard demands her surrender.

Page 13 of 13 [ 502 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station