Board index » General » Trial Minutes

Page 1 of 1[ 10 posts ]

About Capcom and the DGS YouTube TranslationTopic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

As many of you have probably heard by now, Capcom has pulled down the YouTube-based translation of Dai Gyakuten Saiban. One of the project leads posted a statement on Reddit, which you should read in full, but here's the part that's probably relevant to most users:

Quote:
So what can we do? Well, the translation is not lost. Our footage is gone, but the subtitles themselves still exist in our Google Docs. So what's next for DGS and DGS 2? Well, most likely we will be taking DGS related content to a different platform. What platform? We don't know yet. For now, I know I am going to sit down and figure something out. Over time, I have gotten a new computer and failed to back up the original files. So what do I have on hand?The episodes from Randst Magazine are still on my hard drive, so that's step one.

[...]

EDIT: I have filed a counter notification against Capcom, so possibly something will come about from this. It falls under fair use and educational use. On the other side, we do have a back up, thanks to someone on Discord. This contains all of our video (albeit in 360p) and our subtitles. Assuming, nothing occurs regarding our counter notification, we will release these videos on an alternate viewing platform.

It is unsure whether or not this was accidental. There are several other channels, from Japan, that have uploaded full commentated let's plays of Dai Gyakuten Saiban. Along with the few from the US. I am not instigating a witch hunt, but rather showing that Capcom specifically targeted our channel.

So if you've been following along with the YouTube translation, all is not lost.

But more importantly, I wanted to put a little cold water on one of the common responses I've been seeing to this, namely that "this is a sign Capcom is working on a DGS localization." To be clear, I can't prove that's not what's happening. But I do want to set expectations.

Capcom is no stranger to pulling down Japanese Ace Attorney videos. Back in the day (because I'm an old person now) I would upload highlights from AAI and AAI2 after they were released in Japan. As of AAI2, Capcom filed copyright strikes against those, eventually pulling down my YouTube channel altogether. When I moved to other platforms (Vimeo, Twitch) for AA5 and DGS, they yanked those too. All of which is to say, Capcom pulling down Japanese AA videos is not out of the ordinary.

I've also seen many people pointing out that because DGS1+2 is being made, that may be to help with bringing the series west. Putting aside the cost of translating two games together and then figuring out how to sell them at a price point that won't drive away Western users, there's the fact that this bundle explicitly isn't a special combination of the games. It's a slipcase for the DGS1 and DGS2 boxes along with a special CD. (The DGS1 box being packaged is even the price-cut "Best Price!" edition.) The games are still on separate cartridges entirely.

Finally, while there's been no specific official reason that DGS1 was never translated (beyond Janet Hsu saying there were "certain circumstances"), there are at least two large possible reasons: first, that these games have relatively high localization costs due to the amount of text as well as relatively low sales in the West, and second, that the rights for some of the Sherlock Holmes stories are still in limbo in the US, with two competing groups claiming ownership. While DGS doesn't particularly draw from these stories, it's not difficult to imagine a claim being made regardless, resulting in a legal battle that could become very costly very quickly. As far as we know, neither of these things have changed.

I dearly hope all of the above was wrong, and Capcom is working on an official localization of the series! But before that rumor gets out of hand, I wanted to remind people where the games stand. We offer our sympathies to the YouTube team and wish them the best in finding a new hosting platform or getting their videos returned. There is also the ongoing fan translation effort on GBATemp, which will require homebrew to play but will allow players to experience the game for their 3DS.

The DGS series is a breath of fresh air for Ace Attorney, and we maintain that it's truly disappointing that English-speaking fans don't get to experience it. Hopefully, that'll soon change one way or the other.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: About Capcom and the DGS YouTube TranslationTopic%20Title

Mia Payne

Still fuming mad. No amount of hate for a game would make me think this isn't absolute bull crap. Very definition of DMCA abuse. No lost revenue is gained from English speakers watching the translation.

I hope they don't C&D the Fan Translation

The strange thing is they specifically targeted their channel. Why not taking down all other DGS gameplay videos on YouTube? Not saying all of them, but if Capcom is serious about this, then I'd expect them to take down at least some of the many DGS longplays that exist on YouTube.

But then again, if Capcom were planning on doing a localization, they would have sent a C&D to the fantranslation team by now.

Gregory... Tomorrow, I'm heading towards that fateful place with your son. To find out the truth of 18 years ago...

OBJECTION!

I'd say that its possible that they are planning on releasing the game in the west. They might not have put an end to the fan translation patch because its so far from being done. If they were to announce an official translation before the fan translation was completed, then I have no doubt that the people doing the fan translation would cancel it themselves. This happened a few years back with Tales of Graces and it might be what Capcom is planning on happening, but then again they could just be doing nothing

Happy Maria

Meh, I'm not too optimistic myself. Like Bolt said, this is really nothing new for Capcom to do. Doesn't really confirm anything IMO

Art Person

I find that sad they took the fan translated videos down. But yeah, companies taking some, but not all footage of games off YouTube isn't uncommon. They'll only go for what they end up finding (or how it appears, they find it instead of actively searching for it).

What did he do this time...?

Quote:
But more importantly, I wanted to put a little cold water on one of the common responses I've been seeing to this, namely that "this is a sign Capcom is working on a DGS localization." To be clear, I can't prove that's not what's happening. But I do want to set expectations.

I imagine a lot of people are jumping to this conclusion after we just learned the reasoning behind Nintendo C&Ding AM2R (Metroid 2 remake) was because they so happened to be in the midst of developing their own Metroid 2 remake.

I don't think this is the case. I think it's unlikely Capcom is actually working on localization - we're nearing the end of the 3DS lifespan similarly to AAI2 at the end of the DS's lifespan. I just don't see it happening.
Want to play my custom-made Ace Attorney case made on Ace Attorney Online? (you must be using Firefox to run it)
Turnabout Destiny

Videos are up again.
https://www.reddit.com/r/AceAttorney/co ... _the_dmca/

Art Person

Lusankya wrote:

YES!

:takethat:

I'm gonna watch these now just so I don't miss out.

Happy Maria

Nice! Good for them that YouTube got that sorted out.
Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Board index » General » Trial Minutes