Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station

Page 18 of 18[ 700 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

Re: The Final Fantasy franchiseTopic%20Title

Gettin' Old!

Its a shame as FFXV billed itself explicitly as a FF for new and old fans.

Though really you should start with X. Its got more modern graphics and is pretty simple and satisfying. Good for newcomers.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

VI and XII were the ones I liked the most personally, not sure if those would be considered a good entry point for a new player though.

Kind of more on-topic, I have been playing IX for the first time. Not too sure if I like the gameplay yet but at least the characters seem good. Also I decided to try playing In Spanish and it seems like a surprisingly good translation, things don't seem to be translated as awkwardly as in other video game translations, especially older ones.
Signature loading, please wait...

Pierre wrote:

Though really you should start with X. Its got more modern graphics and is pretty simple and satisfying. Good for newcomers.

...Yeah, sometimes I forget most people care about graphics. If someone cares, they should start with X. Though I don't find it more simple than the others.

Yabba Dabba Doo

Yeah, I’m not letting XV completely ruin the series for me. I had heard before that it’s not very good, so I can’t say I’m all that surprised. I just want to play IV, VI, and VII sometime in my life, and maybe X as well.

Gettin' Old!

Thelema wrote:
Pierre wrote:

...Yeah, sometimes I forget most people care about graphics. If someone cares, they should start with X. Though I don't find it more simple than the others.

You are allowed to swap party members at any time and the game doesn't have any huge difficulty curves that I remember. At the time I didn't notice but compared to other games I'd say it's a nice gentle intro to the series.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

FF X is a good starter, but the problem is that most of the party members are... mh, divisive. Let's call it that. The graphics are okay, though still dated. Even for the HD Remaster version. Difficulty isn't so bad, if you don't escape from battles constantly. I think the only difficulty comes in the Omega Ruins.

I've felt worse.

Spoiler: Disorganized thoughts on FFXV "Windows Edition"
I will preface this with the fact that I watched a playthrough of the vanilla game a while ago, so this isn't really the first time I'm experiencing this story. The Windows Edition contains all the content in the Royal Edition, including all the DLC except for the Assassin Festival. So why the heck couldn't they just call it Royal Edition like a normal human?
I did manage to get the game to run at a consistent 30 fps without too much stuttering. Still doesn't look as good as it would on a PS4, but it gets the job done, even if some textures look like crap.
Also I'm not watching Kingsglaive. That's almost as egregious as NieR: Automata having supplementary stage play containing important lore. Actually, scratch that, it's worse. At least N:A's stageplay only contained events that took place before the game started, and you could access a summary of it in-game.

I'll admit, I like the interactions between the Backstreet Boys NSYNC Sev'ral Timez the four main characters. This is where the game shines, where it's just these four boys on the best worst road trip of their lives.

The gameplay is... well, sometimes it's fun, and sometimes it's a bloody mess. When you get hit in FFXV, 40% of the time you feel you got hit legitimately, 20% of the time you got hit by an enemy charging at you from behind the camera, 20% of the time you're being attacked by eight or more enemies at once, and 20% of the time you had enough MP, you already avoided that attack once, but the game decides you weren't holding the block/evade button hard enough. And then you have to manage four party members at once, which would be fine, if Ignis and Prompto knew what dodging was. The majority of the game felt like I had to rely on the ridiculous amount of invincibility frames you get from using Techs.
Warp strike is probably the best thing the game has going for it. The aerial sequence when fighting Aranea, Phase 1 of the Leviathan fight, the bit in Chapter 12 when you're warping between Imperial dropships, that's where the game felt badass.

By the time I got the Regalia Type-D, I had already reached Chapter 8, the last chapter to take place in the open world. I didn't so much need a dirt car, as much as the ability to just manually steer the car.
Also the item description on the Supercharger says the car can reach 60 mph. It only lets you go up to 35 mph.

Luna's death is the part that marks the game getting darker and restrictive, and I almost understand that. Noct (and the player) most likely understands the gravity of the quest, yet if you aren't trying to rush the game, Noct will have likely spent more time fishing, gardening, frog collecting, and chocobo riding than doing the main quest. It's from this point that he realizes that there are consequences to his actions and inaction, that there's far more at stake than just the throne. Except, using Luna's death to mark this doesn't work when we barely know her. All of Noct and Luna's onscreen chemistry amounts to Naminé young Luna giving a young Noct some exposition, yet we're supposed to believe that this is hugely devastating for Noct. It probably is, but we're never shown enough of their interactions for us to really care. I think I cared more for the Regalia's "death."

Noct's side of Chapter 13. At least let me use the MP3 player. Would have bumped it up from "I could have bought XIII for 20% of the price I paid for XV" to "Dissidia's soundtrack makes things slightly more tolerable."
"Noct I'm already a daemon MT." This revelation gets thrown in, Noct shrugs it off, and then it is never mentioned again. I'm almost positive that Prompto's DLC was planned from the start.
Ravus fight is only annoying because he had so much health. Chop it in half and you'd have the best fight in the game.

Good friggin god, Bahamut's face is creepy.
No, game, you can't just throw the phrase "Iris the Daemon Slayer" and not follow up on that. What do I have to look at to get something out of this? Tie-in anime? Manga? Novella? Fan fiction? It's fan fiction, isn't it?
So the Royal Edition revamped Insomnia City into a full-sized dungeon. Not terribly long, but enough to leave an impression. Also, difficulty spike. I chose to forego grinding and headed straight for the final boss. Big mistake on my part, since now there are SIX FINAL BOSSES, four of which have two phases. It's especially jarring when Ifrit comes in and is significantly easier than the bosses surrounding it.

Fine, I suppose there is a bit of a nostalgia trip in seeing the Final Fantasy main theme play over a coronation/wedding, even if they're dead.

I would not have paid additional money for the DLC episodes, but they were actually fun. They felt a lot more focused and knew what they wanted to do. Final boss of Episode Prompto sucked, though.
Friendly Match is a mixed bag. It's actually kind of a fitting send-off for the game. A duel with the protagonist in the place where the journey started with some damn sweet music in the background. At the same time, it's bullshit, letting Noct use royal weapons without losing health, giving him the Ring of the Lucii, letting him use and letting him expose Ignis's true identity as Slenderman.
"You couldn't just eat your goddamn veggies, could you Noct?"

lol Comrades. I played this for two hours and encountered a total of one player. Either the playerbase is dead or the matchmaking sucks.

tl;dr: wat
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

I got myself FF XV for the PS4. I know some things and I read things, and some of it sounded really good, and other stuff sounded really bad. So, why not give it a shot? I got it used and, since I had money on my Gamestop card, I technically didn't have to 'pay' for the game. I'm only about 2.5 hours in and only made it to the second rest area/gas station. Game seems okay so far...

Well... except for the battle system. I know I still need to get used to the controls; they aren't bad, I just need to remember what button does what again. But what I don't like... is the targeting and how the 'field' overall works. If anyone has seen the Honest Trailer for Final Fantasy XV, there's a point in the video where they claim the battle system becomes a chaotic mess once there are more than 3 enemies on the field. And I absolutely agree with that.
The two times, so far, where I've had at least 5 or more enemies at once (the Crustaceans alongside Dualhorns, or multiple... wolf... uh, Sabertusk-thingies with birds) I had practically no clue what was going on. I just warp-strike or overall warp, hold Square to give me a parry chance, and just keep spamming until something finally dies. Is there a way to change what you target easily? Like, if one of the guys is in danger, I want to help, but I can't freaking SEE them easily. (downside with all of them wearing black by default)

The Japanese voice acting is good, so far. I will say that I noticed that the English translation as taken some MAJOR LIBERTIES in how they talk. And I heard that the big bad's lines were basically also given free rein on what to do there. What is fun for me is that Prompto is voiced by Kakihara Tetsuya, who I first heard as Shin for the Amnesia Otome dating sim. Completely different character. But hey... he's like a likeable version of Cloud for me.

Also, Cidney is totally sexualized. I don't care what Hibata says. If they didn't want her to be seen as sexualized, they would've made sure she doesn't show her thong and properly zips up her jacket.

I saw there's a Season Pass for the game, which includes the other 3 guys' episodes (which I do want to get, eventually), but it also included lots of other stuff, including a festive package that adds festive clothes? I dunno if that's worth it... it's 25€, whereas just getting the episodes would be 15€, albeit as separate downloads.

PS: I actually totally forgot that Stella used to be in the game, and then got replaced by Lunafreya.

Gettin' Old!

The answer to the chaotic combat system of FFXV? Use more potions and make combat equally chaotic.

The magitek troopers that randomly drop on you are a nightmare to fight but they are weak to electricity I think. Make some powerful thunder grenades and just hit them with it immediately when they drop. You'll pretty much bypass those fights entirely.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

I've felt worse.

Quote:
I just warp-strike or overall warp, hold Square to give me a parry chance, and just keep spamming until something finally dies

That was the whole game for me. You can get through most of the main story doing nothing but that. That said, if things get too chaotic, use a party member tech. Gladio's Tempest is great for hitting enemy hordes, and every tech gives you temporary invincibility.

The other stuff in the season pass is mostly weapons and outfits. I'd say just get the individual DLC episodes. They're approximately an hour each (slightly longer if you do the additional stuff), but they're much more focused than the main game.
"It's never too late to learn that growing old doesn't have to mean growing up. Stay curious, stay weird, stay kind, and don't let anyone ever tell you you aren't smart or brave or worthy enough." -Stanford Pines, Gravity Falls

Gettin' Old!

sumguy28 wrote:
Quote:
I just warp-strike or overall warp, hold Square to give me a parry chance, and just keep spamming until something finally dies

That was the whole game for me. You can get through most of the main story doing nothing but that. That said, if things get too chaotic, use a party member tech. Gladio's Tempest is great for hitting enemy hordes, and every tech gives you temporary invincibility.

The other stuff in the season pass is mostly weapons and outfits. I'd say just get the individual DLC episodes. They're approximately an hour each (slightly longer if you do the additional stuff), but they're much more focused than the main game.

I think Ignis' special "Overpower" or something is great when you want to do targeted damage. I used it most of the game.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Well, I will get Ignis' episode first, even if it's the last one that got out. But I know that it includes an alternate ending for the game, and it sounds like the best in terms of story and character, compared to what I read about Gladi's or Prompto's episodes. (I will get those, eventually, but I can only afford one right now)

Oh, yeah. I spam the techs if I can (I keep forgetting to re-add Ignis' Regroup; that's among the first things I got from the Sphere Grid Ascension Menu) and use potions... though I don't like using Potions a whole lot. I'm too used to XIII's, where the Potions were practically useless. And I generally don't use items a whole lot in RPGs anymore.

I noticed that, as soon as I got to the second gas station, I can't manually drive the car anymore. I'm guessing I need to advance the plot a bit; I just talked to the reporter at... uh, Quaidy... whatever. Harbor. Also, fishing sucks. Then again, I'm not a huge fan of fishing in videogames to begin with.

Gettin' Old!

FISHING IS AWESOME!

Also it's not really like the Sphere Grid. I thought of it as more like Skyrims perk system.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Yabba Dabba Doo

Somehow got lucky as all hell and found an SNES Classic in my local target, so I'm gonna start up FFVI soon. I've heard really good things about it, but I have no idea what to expect. I've never really played any old-school RPGs, so I'm going in blind.

Thunder84 wrote:
Somehow got lucky as all hell and found an SNES Classic in my local target, so I'm gonna start up FFVI soon. I've heard really good things about it, but I have no idea what to expect. I've never really played any old-school RPGs, so I'm going in blind.

The battles and overall speed of the game might feel really slow. I love VI, but I recall feeling that way whenever I play it again. My only tip for you is, do not grind levels too much early in the game. Not until you unlock the menu that's initially blank near the top.

I can already say that I hate the camera and the map in FF XV.
The mini-map keeps turning around with my characters, which annoys me because it makes me lose what direction I am going in, so I have to keep opening the entire map to see which direction I am walking in. Wish there was an option to keep the mini-map set to "North is always on top", so I can orient myself a little better.

Also, fuck the whole thing with the Deadeye. Following it around was dumb and annoying (reminded me a little too much of the one trial in Breath of the Wild, where you need to follow a Korok through the very foggy Lost Woods, without it noticing you. Upside, doing this with the Deadeye was much shorter), the battle was not fun because I can't target the damn barrels, and before I can focus on blasting those, the Deadeye comes towards me and knocks Noctis down.
So, that one experience made me hate the Nebulawoods immediately. Even worse when I realized the wild Chocobo quest was in those woods, too, but don't think you can get there by walking back from the boss area! You can't.

That and the map is pretty difficult for me to tell what's walkable and what isn't. The graphics of the world are neat, but it's like the Jagd Forest in Lightning Returns. I can't see the forest for all the trees. I'm just stumbling around and hoping this wall of rocks has a gap somewhere I can walk through. (Also, really unfortunate that I can jump, but not properly climb up on rocks.)

I've felt worse.

Quote:
Wish there was an option to keep the mini-map set to "North is always on top", so I can orient myself a little better.

Options -> Minimap -> Rotation "Off"

One thing I'm glad to see is that there is no Trophy about "Obtained all the recipes". Just getting those skills to their max, and the worst one for those will be fishing. I also looked up a guide for all the sidequests because I am currently not planning on playing the game again 'just' to finish up the sidequests I didn't get the first time around. And good thing I did, there's this Scraps of Mystery or so that... honestly, without looking at the guide, I didn't even have any idea that they existed.

Current plot-quest is getting to the Tomb behind the Waterfall. 'Stuck' on that for quite some time because I want to do sidequests and, when I think I got them all, another one pops up. Did find one tomb on accident, and one that meant I had to head for the Mamalam Thicket for a third time. Urgh.

Can XV please decide what its plot and duties are? It starts off as a road-trip to get Noctis married... then turns into Gotta Catch 'Em All Pokémon Royal Arms. Uh, nope. No, no, you need to catch all the summons now. No, wait, no... no... stealth missions! Stealth missions when infiltrating Imperial Bases!

And the game needs to be a bit nicer in letting me know where I can or can't jump/climb. Nothing indicates when I can't jump off this rock, but could jump off this other rock just fine.

Gettin' Old!

CatMuto wrote:
Can XV please decide what its plot and duties are? It starts off as a road-trip to get Noctis married... then turns into Gotta Catch 'Em All Pokémon Royal Arms. Uh, nope. No, no, you need to catch all the summons now. No, wait, no... no... stealth missions! Stealth missions when infiltrating Imperial Bases!

And the game needs to be a bit nicer in letting me know where I can or can't jump/climb. Nothing indicates when I can't jump off this rock, but could jump off this other rock just fine.

Just know that when you go after Leviathan it's a bit of a point of no return. Get stuff done before that.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Oh, I know that. That's why I'm trying hard to do most sidequests before getting there. Though Vyv now wants a pic of a location where I obviously must head towards Leviathan, and I still don't have items for most of the 'Cid improves your weapons' sidequests. And going by what I see from guides, there are still some sidequests I can apparently do in stuff like Chapter 13 and 14.
Page 18 of 18 [ 700 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18

Board index » Non Phoenix Wright » Police Station