Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street

Page 1 of 1[ 23 posts ]

Episode three discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

This is the discussion thread for DGS episode three, "The Adventure of the Runaway Room"! Please use spoiler tags when discussing any plot points of the episode that haven't been officially announced.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
Re: Episode three discussion thread (tagged spoilers)Topic%20Title

元・超会社員級の管理人

Just finished. Will write up more soon, but immediate reaction:

What the hell? What the hell? What the hell? What the hell? What the hell?
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

"What the hell?" in a good sense?

Oh right, this was a thing.

I want to see what the whole "what the hell" stuff was about..! I MISSED THE STREAM BY 6 HOURS BECAUSE FREAKING TIME ZONES ;~;
~UltrawaveStudios~

Lacks the brain for meaningful posts.

Lusankya wrote:
"What the hell?" in a good sense?

In a pretty good sense, yeah.

1000% Knight

Just started.

All I can say it...

"Heart Vortex"

.........................*Calisto laugh*
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Racing through the sky like a Missile

Bolt Storm wrote:

Hell is what. Poor Phoenix Wright. He was never meant to be in this game.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

1000% Knight

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Bolt Storm wrote:

Hell is what. Poor Phoenix Wright. He was never meant to be in this game.

RIP Phoenix Wright. Died over a hundred years before he even got to be born.

元・超会社員級の管理人

Anyway, full thoughts on the case:

The jury system, while ultimately mechanically not all that different from an existing feature (PLvsPW's testimony-vs-testimony moments), in terms of atmosphere and story breathes a ton of life into the court proceedings. The jurors may not be named, but they all have their own characters, and they all want to speak their mind. They really will change their vote at a moment's notice, and when they do it provides a very literal sense that the trial has just turned in one direction or another. And props to the writing team - that could easily become irritating, with too much time spent on the jurors changing their minds, but those moments felt well-paced and enhanced the trial rather than adding to it. Also? Great camera work in the courtroom.

As before, the cast of characters is great; while one or two of the witnesses are a bit thin, you always get that in an Ace Attorney game sooner or later, and all of them are charming and well-designed enough to be enjoyable nevertheless. The villain of the case is stellar, without going into any detail. van Zieks is a little opaque at the moment, but that's intentional - and he shows notably less "weakness" or "reaction" than other prosecutors, which reinforces the idea that this guy is an enigma. I'm sure the game will flesh him out a bit in the cases to come.

The mystery presented is very much one in the spirit of turnabout - when the trial starts, there really doesn't seem like any way out for Ryuunosuke, and any progress you make takes work. It also kept me stumped pretty far throughout - even when I thought I had something, those theories turned out to be wrong.

The case also did something that I've seen in the other episodes (so this is more of a whole-game praise): it didn't ignore the past episodes when it came to the main characters. Ryuunosuke and Susato's actions and feelings were clearly influenced by the previous two chapters, and having started episode 4, that builds off what happens here. Compared to past games in the series, where there would be months between cases and minimal emotional carryover except when convenient (Turnabout Samurai never really touches on Mia's death, right?), it's a lovely change of pace and makes the game flow better.

Big old spoiler impressions:

Spoiler: Case three spoilers for everything
Of course, the reason it seems like there's no way out for Ryuu is that there is no way out for Ryuu. The case is so beautiful in how it uses the player expectations of an AA case against them. The obvious point of reference is 2-4, but there you can make the argument that the player knew a bombshell was coming - after all, Maya was kidnapped, Edgeworth was back, it was the finale. The way this case was set up, it almost felt like another case 1, designed to teach you the basics of jury trials with a slightly tougher challenge.

Then Megendahl comes along and stomps all over the player. The writers did a great job in balancing him out in being suspicious; he gets more and more unsettling as the case goes on, but never quite enough for the player to seriously suspect him in most cases. If anything, the biggest tipoff is just how competent he is in his own defense, and even that can send the player astray - an AA player might think, "hey, finally, a competent defendant," not, "this guy's too good." We're trained to trust our clients, and on a meta sense, another guilty defendant after 2-4 has been something I think a lot of the fandom doubted would really happen again.

In particular, the way the case itself develops is so good at misleading you. Yes, you can examine the carriage ASAP and find the luggage-filled compartment and notice there's only one spot of blood - but you don't have to, at least not immediately. And when you do notice the difference? If you're like me, you still don't make the final leap for a while. My immediate reaction to the disappearing luggage was honestly, "there must be a secret passage in the carriage or a false back, and that's how the killer got in." As for the blood? When I noticed that I started to think that maybe during the smoke someone had somehow swapped the entire carriage. It wasn't until we were most of the way through the final testimony, and Fairplay/Ladyfirst being guilty really wasn't sitting with me, that I made the jump.

And even then the case dares to leave itself vague. You "know" what happened, but there's so much you can't tell is fact or fiction. Megendahl walks, and you understand he's guilty, but there's no decisive proof for once.

And then, of course, that ending. Suffice to say the stream went batshit.

Now, all this comes with the asterisk that I've only just played the case, and past experience has taught me that I'm usually much more generous to a case shortly after playing it than I am in the long run. But it was a very memorable episode.

Wooster wrote:

By the way, Bolt, I found an instance of his name popping up at one point in the 5th case. It's spelled "Megundal".

Other than that, I pretty much have the same kind of impressions. This is by far one of the best 3rd cases in a game, all because of that ending.

By the end of the fourth case, though, that's when my impressions of Barok changed for the better. To avoid spoilers, I'll just say that the moment inspired Ryu to become a better defense attorney as well.

Ironically, the most impressionable bit to me is still Phoenix dying 100 years in advance.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

1000% Knight

I'm just going to QFT Bolt's entire post. Echoes my feelings about this case and the game in general.

Spoiler:
The only difference is that I, uh, didn't figure out how to investigate the inside of the carriage until after you-know-what. So... I was kinda slow to catch on ^^"

"Did you see the bloodstain earlier?" "I didn't even investigate it!" "Are there any other suspicious spots?" "How am I supposed to know?!"

There is only one truth!

It runs in the family!

Quote:
Phoenix: How is Edgeworth doing anyway?
Gumshoe: Edgeworth is out of control! He was in the waiting room and he crushed this paper cup with hot, hot coffee in it.
Phoenix: Whoa...
Gumshoe: Talk about burns, pal!
Maya: Wow, the fury of Edgeworth!

-PWAA1, Turnabout Samurai, Third investigation segment.
Here's to hoping this scenario was translated faithfully, thus making this sh*tpost relevant.

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
It runs in the family!

Quote:
Phoenix: How is Edgeworth doing anyway?
Gumshoe: Edgeworth is out of control! He was in the waiting room and he crushed this paper cup with hot, hot coffee in it.
Phoenix: Whoa...
Gumshoe: Talk about burns, pal!
Maya: Wow, the fury of Edgeworth!

-PWAA1, Turnabout Samurai, Third investigation segment.
Here's to hoping this scenario was translated faithfully, thus making this sh*tpost relevant.

It was translated faithfully for the most part. Edgeworth did indeed crush his cup, which was implied to be made of paper.

But how does it run in the family if we haven't seen Gregory crush cups in his hand?

Speaking of which, that reminds me. Alcohol can't possibly evaporate that fast after spilling out of the cup. Is that really wine or some type of flammable spray paint?

Well, that trial sure was interesting!

I just noticed something in the opening cutscene. When Ryuunosuke and Susato take the carriage to Vortex's office, on the back there's a sign labelled 'Cleese & Pa(lin) British Tailo(rs)', and then in the subsequent panning shot of London, a sign on the left says 'Idle & Jones' and a sign on the right says 'Gilliam'.

So this game isn't even localized yet and already we have a Monty Python reference. Brilliant!
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

I have this nagging feeling that the localization team already played their part in the making of this game, so it sort of explains why we haven't heard any news from them about an official localization.

This game definitely has more references I could identify just because quite a few of them are English references. There were always a plenty few in the Japanese games prior, but to a lesser extent.

Well, that trial sure was interesting!

The game's credits have Janet Hsu's name for the English stuff, so...yeah. Not a confirmation for localization, but it doesn't seem so unlikely as once thought.
"When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."

There is only one truth!

Van Zieks just has no cool. Verbally gets all bitchy when things don't go his way and then starts breaking wineglasses. He tries to hide it with elegant words, but that's just putting lipstick on a pig. If I had to compare him to an opponent we have had before, I think he is most like Franziska von Karma, minus the whip and perfection speeches. I bet Zieks inner monologue is hilariously enraged and hot-blooded, like those characters that put on a cool face while their inside personality is completely flipping out in an OOC fashion.

It's really too bad Ryuu isn't a bit more willing to press people's buttons, because he could play van Zieks like a harp. van Zieks would probably spontaneously combust if he were up against a particularly saucy-feeling Diego Armando. I can't wait to see how Iris and Sherlock deal with him later.

1000% Knight

He has cool... it's just all in his poker face, rather than his actions.

plus even with that outfit you can tell he has a rockin' bod

Red string of fate tied me to manilla

I'm internally screaming "Shut up!" at Zieks whenever he opens his mouth...

The video game boy; the one who wins

Spoiler:
The good thing about this case was that it certainly knew how to lead me astray and follow its whims. It did a good job of playing the players and everyone involved. I loved the idea of someone fiddling with the crimescene itself as it is in the courtroom.

The bad thing is that's pretty much all the case has going for it. Maybe except for Gina Lestrade, she's cool (as a sidenote, when I saw her at first I thought she was Niko from the last case). But the case, the trial, the murder... it feels pretty bland. Yeah, I'm confused, I'm curious about who is banging from inside the burning omnibus and I assume this case has its place in the overall story, but frankly I could give a shit about the lack of conclusion because I feel like it never took off (until the end where it leapt). There were some exciting moments but not long-lasting or big enough to make the case as a whole not feel flat. With that said, it worked quite well as an introduction to the court system (which also works well).

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Happy Maria

Going for Miles wrote:
Spoiler:
The good thing about this case was that it certainly knew how to lead me astray and follow its whims. It did a good job of playing the players and everyone involved. I loved the idea of someone fiddling with the crimescene itself as it is in the courtroom.

The bad thing is that's pretty much all the case has going for it. Maybe except for Gina Lestrade, she's cool (as a sidenote, when I saw her at first I thought she was Niko from the last case). But the case, the trial, the murder... it feels pretty bland. Yeah, I'm confused, I'm curious about who is banging from inside the burning omnibus and I assume this case has its place in the overall story, but frankly I could give a shit about the lack of conclusion because I feel like it never took off (until the end where it leapt). There were some exciting moments but not long-lasting or big enough to make the case as a whole not feel flat. With that said, it worked quite well as an introduction to the court system (which also works well).

Spoiler:
I don't know about you, but I think this was the best case of the game :-P I really just liked the end a lot, in all honesty, and I like Megundal a lot and how they leave his guilt/innocence a mystery here. It's a simple but very interesting case from that point of view and I love how they mix up the formula here. It's super fresh.

The video game boy; the one who wins

Spoiler:
Haha :-P I liked what they did with it too and how it ended, but for the most part it just never caught my interest.

(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)

Bolt Storm wrote:

Loving the pun.
Spoiler:
I'm assuming Megundal is in the omnibus but I hope not, because what a great villain. When Ladynotkiller and other dude were fighting for their defence, I thought "They really don't seem guilty." But I assumed they must have been. I genuinely wasn't expecting them to pull a Matt Engarde again. It was only when Zieks mentioned the blood missing on the skyline. Second time he mentioned a problem. And I realised he must be telling the truth.
Page 1 of 1 [ 23 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street