Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 91 of 115[ 4572 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 115  Next

Re: Danganronpa F4: One-Way Ticket to Ride (Ch4 Daily Life)Topic%20Title

Happy Maria

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Urumi's eye twitched, not that the prisoner could see it from where she remained reclining. "Uh, what're you talking about? I'm not here because I WANT to be, it's just my shift. You really haven't noticed we've been taking turns watching you? Guess nobody else felt like talking to you, either," she scoffed. "And no, I'm one of those weird people that doesn't respond well to casual insults. You can stay put."

“Really? You don’t even know what’s happening outside?”, James enquired. “I suppose that’s rather fitting. You never really are aware what goes on outside your pitiful little world, do you?”

"Says the guy who didn't even realize he's not the only one here until just now." Urumi rolled her eyes. "Whatever it was just happened and I've been in here. How am I supposed to know what's going on outside?"

Happy Maria

“Forgive me, your presence was so forgettable it must have escaped me”, James explained.

"Wow. Ouch. Breaking my heart here," Urumi deadpanned. She took a moment to admire her nails before continuing to buff them.

Happy Maria

“Would you mind lending that?”, James asked suddenly. “It’s quite terrible here without any files with which to trim your nails.”

"It's just a cardboard file," Urumi warned him. "You're not going to be able to cut through the bars or anything with it. If you still want it, you can have it after I finish my toenails." She flipped the file over and started working on them.

Happy Maria

James grimaced. “…I suppose I really don’t have an alternative, do I?” He singed begrudgingly.

"Not unless you want to wait for the next person hoping they have a file." She clicked her tongue. "And don't make that face, they're clean. I only showered a couple hours ago. Just use the other side if it bothers you that much."

After Urumi was content with the condition of her nails, she walked over to the cell and held the emery board towards the bars. "I used the pink side."

Happy Maria

"I see. Much obliged", James said, taking the file and using it on his fingernails. Surprisingly, he didn't bother to try using them to break out. Either he trusted Urumi at her word or he had given up entirely on escaping.

V.A.L. wheeled into the sheriff's office sheepishly, glancing around. "Ultimate Urumi, bzzt, I would like to relieve you so you can go relax, bzzt. I feel terrible for the scene and worry I have caused, bzzt."

Urumi blinked as she turned to face the entering V.A.L. "Oh, uh, sure. Thanks," she replied, looking a little confused. "That was you? What happened?"

V.A.L. paused to compose itself. "Bzzt, Ultimate Keri found another of my memory cards. The memory...distressed me, bzzt."

"Another one?" Urumi repeated. She frowned as she got up from her seat and walked over to the robot. "Let me guess, someone else from our group was on it?"

"Yes, bzzt," V.A.L. confirmed.

"...Huh. I didn't think I'd actually be right." She crossed her arms. "Want to say who? ...Maybe not in front of the prisoner?"

"Bzzt, it doesn't matter who," V.A.L. tried to say in an assuring manner. "Bzzt, they didn't see me anyway, it was my own actions at the time that have upset me, bzzt."

"Huh..." Urumi repeated herself as she tilted her head. "Uh, are you going to be up for this right now? Maybe you should see if someone else can cover your shift while you, like, come to terms with this or whatever..."

Happy Maria

James, who had been listening closely while trimming his nails, now spoke up. "Let me guess, metal man. Was it the pathetic parkourist? Perhaps the mediocre mutt? Or...the gigantic pillock? Wait, was it perhaps the mad bomber? Or was it that callous cadet?" Clearly, his cell time had diminished his brain power...and guessing power.

"Bzzt, I will be okay now," V.A.L. replied confidently. "Thank you for your concern, bzzt," it added, lightly touching Urumi on the arm. "You and Ultimate Keri have been most kind to me, bzzt. This is the least I can do, bzzt."

It turned towards James when he started speaking. "Your nicknames are confusing to me, bzzt. I do not know who you mean, bzzt."

Happy Maria

"They're self-explanatory. I shouldn't have to elaborate, you hunk of junk", James replied.

"W-well, if you're sure..." Urumi stammered awkwardly as she moved to leave the jail. "Oh, I gave him an emery board, by the way. I doubt he can actually do anything with it, but, you know. Just thought I should mention it."

"Bzzt, you are welcome to remain," V.A.L. hastily says, worried it was chasing Urumi away. "I only thought you deserved a break, bzzt. Ultimate James is rude and difficult to bear, bzzt."

Happy Maria

"The feeling is mutual, tin can", James said drily.

Raul eventually goes back to the sheriff's office to check on James, unaware that VAL was there.

"Ah, so you are here, VAL." He said upon noticing it. "Is everything alright now? Whatever that chip had seemed to have quite an effect on you. Did...did it have anything that should concern us?"
Signature loading, please wait...

"Ah, Ultimate Raul, bzzt," V.A.L. greeted , almost shyly. "I am sorry for my abrupt departure earlier, bzzt. I am...analyzing the memory, bzzt, as it was a revelation for me, but I assure you, bzzt, it is nothing to be concerned about presently, bzzt. Once I understand what it means, I will share it, bzzt."

"Is that so...well, I'm glad you're doing fine." He said, choosing not to press further. "If James ends up causing any trouble, I'll be nearby." Despite what he said making it seem like would go out of the office, he instead walked over to greet Clyde.

"Hello there, Lieutenant José! Who is doing a great job of guarding James? You are!" He said, changing the dog's name. Again.

"Bzzt, yes, the canine is doing a good job," V.A.L. commented, wheeling close. "And Ultimate James is being... Himself, bzzt."

Happy Maria

“Good grief”, James sighed. “Why can’t you call him by his actual name, you barbarian?”

"Don't listen to him José." Raul spoke in a babyish tone that was rather jarring considering his usual voice as he petted the dog. "You're a good boy, you can't accept a name from someone like him, isn't that right?"

SiRReN wrote:
"Bzzt, you are welcome to remain," V.A.L. hastily says, worried it was chasing Urumi away. "I only thought you deserved a break, bzzt. Ultimate James is rude and difficult to bear, bzzt."

"Well, yeah, that much is pretty obvious." Urumi pursed her lips. "But I thought you wanted me to go rest. If you want me to hang around, just say so already."

She tilted her head at Raul. "And where'd 'José' come from? I thought we were calling him Hachi."

"...Hachi? This is my first time hearing that name. And José is the name of a...companion from the revolution that I left behind!" He didn't sound convincing at all when he said that.

He quickly shook his head. "Well, clearly we must all have a meeting to agree on a fitting name for José! Everyone except James deserves to get their voice heard in this matter!"

Happy Maria

"It's the converse, actually", James spat. "In fact, all of you should be rotting in this dilapidated old cell while I should be out petting Roger."

Jack had walked into the prison area, kneeling by the dog. “Ah, I’ve been looking all over for you, Kuzco-Dog-Edition!” Jack scratched his chin. “Who’s a good boy?”

The dog, confused by everyone calling it different names, gives one giant bark. Once attaining it's silence, it goes back to growling at James.

Lieutenant José gets bored, and waddles over to Raul's side.

Happy Maria

"What are you growling at me for?", James questioned confusedly.

"Arf arf," José elucidated.

Her bark grew louder with every word James spoke.

Happy Maria

"H-have you turned on me too, Roger?" James looked heartbroken as he spoke.

ASCEND

Spoiler: 8:20 A.M.
James sits against the back wall of the cell. The nail file he received from Urumi rests lazily in his hand. Long scratching noises fill the sheriff’s office as he scrapes it across the wall.

“Hey, what are you up to in there?” Bryan asks from where he’s stationed inside.

“What any prisoner does when faced with long days of ceaseless monotony…” James says, “Carve lines in the concrete walls.”

“Well, you’ve got no one to blame for this but yourself.”

“Still, it’s really quite a shame, isn’t it?” James slowly remarks, “A brilliant man such as myself wasting away in these stone walls… and who are the lucky ones who are allowed to remain under the sun? A few militaristic brutes, a reckless terrorist, an unstable drug addict… and yet I’m considered the dangerous one here? For saying a few hurtful words?”

“Those people have shown themselves to be trustworthy friends time and time again.” Bryan replies, “All you’ve ever done is hurt people.”

“As I’ve explained numerous times, I’m the most helpful person here… not that any of you seem to care.” James remarks, carving another line into the wall. “Still, why don’t we change the subject… I have to ask. You do realize how inane is all is, right? Imprisoning me while the rest of you are imprisoned?”

Bryan rolls his eyes. “That doesn’t even make any sense…”

“Well, my point is, we’ve all been imprisoned on this airship for quite a while now. Don’t you ever wonder how things are going outside? For example, what do you think’s going on with your friends and family?”

“What are you getting at?”

“Well, nothing. It’s just a simple thought exercise, that’s all.” James continues, “What of your father for example? He was a firefighter, correct? That’s quite a dangerous job. For all you know, he’s been killed in the line of duty by now.”

Bryan almost whirls around to face the director, but he stops himself, clenching his fists and continuing to face ahead. “…I think you’re wrong.”

“Still, there’s no way to know for sure. It’s a bit like Schrodinger's Cat, you see…” James sounds almost bored. “Until someone escapes and opens the theoretical box, both possibilities are true in theory… So it’s quite possible that your family is out there grieving, and you’re not there to comfort them. A death in a family is a time for everyone to be together, and you’d be wasting your time here looking after me… It’s quite interesting to think about.”

Something James said seems to hit Bryan hard. He turns around, tightly grabbing one of the cell bars with his hand, and says, “Y’know what, James? I’m sick of dealing with your bullshit!”

“I’d hardly compare quantum theory with cow droppings, but do as you please,” James says.

“No, seriously,” Bryan continues, “James, I challenge you to a duel at high noon!”

This seems to attract the director’s attention. He sits up and gives Bryan a perplexed look. “…What?”

“We’ll settle this like they do in Westerns. You know, take twenty paces and fire when the bell rings.”

“Are you a bigger idiot than I thought or completely insane?” James asks, “I’m not risking my life to prove I’m right.”

“We won’t use real bullets. There are some rubber bullets we can duel with. No risk at all.” Bryan explains, “Still, you don’t have to accept. If you want to prove you’re just a coward who can’t stand up for his beliefs, then go ahead.”

After a short silence, James lets out an annoyed sigh. “What is this, a kindergarten recess? Whatever, if I must, I’ll participate in your juvenile farce. But it’ll be your dignity on the line.”

“It’s settled, then. I’ll find someone to judge the competition.” Bryan walks off, leaving James alone in the cell. The director sighs and returns to the wall he’d been working on.

Spoiler: 11:50 A.M.
“Okay, listen up, you two,” Oscar says from where he sits on the bank steps, the brim of his ten-gallon hat pulled low over his face. “Both of these revolvers have one rubber bullet in the cylinder. That’s all you’re getting, so don’t waste it!”

Bryan reaches out and take one of the revolvers. “Believe me, I don’t intend to do that.”

James sighs as he takes a revolver for himself. “You can act tough as much as you wish, but that won’t change how childish you’re acting.”

“Childish?! You’re the childish one!” Bryan shouts, “It’s about time you learned that actions and words have consequences!”

“And for the horrific crimes I’ve committed, my punishment is a rubber bullet to the chest, huh?” James remarks, “Indeed, those are some simply dreadful consequences…”

“You’re missing the point, James! I’m not here to injure you. I’m here to make it quite clear what happens to people who trash my family and my friends!”

Before James can form another rebuttal, Oscar stands up and separates the two of them. “Hey, don’t start dueling now. There’s still some time until high noon. First, you need to take your twenty paces!”

Oscar lines up James and Bryan back-to-back in front of the bank’s clock. As the two start walking, Oscar calls out, “Don’t shoot from the wrong chamber now! That would just be disgraceful, wouldn’t it?”

Once the two have walked their twenty paces, they turn to face their opponent. Bryan’s hand is already hovering over the holster on his waist, where his gun is resting, but James looks unconcerned, simply looking about the street with his camera slung across his shoulder, tapping his foot.

As the climactic hour approaches, the other passengers begin to drift towards the street, attempting to watch the two figures from inside the buildings. Meanwhile, Oscar sits on the bank steps, watching carefully.

At 11:59, the minute hand stops just next to the hour hand, barely an inch away. Oscar pulls out an old pocketwatch and stares at it. The tension on the dusty street continues to build, though James is still only somewhat focused on his opponent.

Suddenly, a loud noise like clanging thunder rumbles through the town. A train seems to be passing on the railroad tracks. However, no one lets it distract them from the event before them, especially not Oscar. His voice rises even above the clamor of the passing locomotive as he reads off the seconds until noon.

“Ten… Nine… Eight…”

Bryan clenches his fists at the sight of James, who seems to be the only one with no interest in the duel.

“Seven… Six… Five…”

The second hand of the clock approaches the top of the clock face. The tension swirls like a dust storm.

“Four… Three… Two… One…”

Bryan’s hand moves like lightning, pulling out the gun and firing. The bang of the gunshot can scarcely be heard over the train.

“…Zero.”

Spoiler: High Noon
A dull bell rings as the minute and hour hand unite over the 12. Both competitors are still standing as the passing train disappears into the horizon.

James has his hand over his chest. He pulls it away and stares at it. Grim recognition flashes on his face.

Oscar does a swirling motion with his hand and then points it at Bryan. “And we have a winner. The brave Sheriff Suarez has defeated the wily outlaw, who… didn’t even fire his gun, it seems.”

Indeed, James’s gun was still holstered. He didn’t respond, he just started coughing.

“Uhh… James? You okay?” Bryan asks, holstering his revolver.

James stared down at his clean white shirt, where a red stain was starting to blossom, spreading through every thread. He looked up at his opponent, staring uncertainly at their gun.

“No…this couldn’t possibly be… Have I truly been…?”

Slowly, James begins to fall backwards. He slams onto the ground, dust billowing around him in a cloud.

“J-James!” Oscar shouts as he rises from the steps. However, Bryan is faster, racing over to James and kneeling next to him.

“Wh-What? How the hell did this happen?”

“That…wasn’t rubber…”, James coughs. “This is…the end for me…”

“W-Wait!”, Bryan shouts. “Who did this to you, James? Who shot you?!”

James doesn’t respond. Instead, he vaguely stares behind the two and murmurs, “They… truly outsmarted me… this time…”

“Wh-What? You’re not making sense, Mr. Clement!”, Oscar yells.

But James doesn’t seem to be listening. He leans onto the dirty ground and slowly closes his eyes. The two try to revive him but to no avail. He doesn’t get up.

There was no “perhaps” here-- James Clement, the Ultimate Director, had truly died.

“Oh, egads! One of our passengers has been murdered! Please gather on the street as soon as possible! The trial will begin in about an hour, so begin your investigations immediately. Good luck!”

Spoiler: Investigation
It wasn’t long before most of the remaining passengers were all gathered on the street, staring at James’s body, their emotions conflicted. All they heard for a while was the desert breeze sweeping through the quiet town. They envied the wind, soaring off to new places while they were left behind here, wondering how many corpses they’d see before they just stopped caring.

“Hey, uhh…” Bryan slowly asks, “Where’s Raul?”

“He’s resting in the saloon,” Keri replies, “Apparently, he got shot.”

“Wh-What?! Is he okay?”

“He says he’ll be fine, and I believe him.” Urumi says, “I mean, we all saw what happened last time he got shot…”

Another desolate silence blankets the street until Jack speaks up.

“Hey, I know things seem bad… but none of you need to worry. I’ve already got this murder figured out.”

Koichi gives him an exhausted glance and replies, “…What are you talking about?”

“Well, just think about it,” Jack elucidates, “It looks like he was shot to death, right? But that can’t be right… It’s too easy!”

“Too easy?” Urumi asks, “He’s got a bullet wound. What do you think happened?”

“Well, that’s the beauty of it, huh? You’d easily assume the bullet wound was the cause of death, but he was actually killed four hours ago, probably by some poison, and he just happened to get shot right after the poison killed him.”

Otto’s annoyed voice transmits through everyone’s bracelets at once. “Oh, I can’t stand to listen to this poppycock anymore! Look, he was killed by a bullet, alright? Does that satisfy your wild imaginations?”

“Well, maybe the bullet was poisoned…” Jack adds.

“Oh, just shut up,” Urumi snaps, “Come on… let’s get to the investigation.”

As people begin to filter off, Keri quickly adds, “Remember, James might not have been the nicest person… but he still deserves justice. So please, treat this investigation as seriously as you would for any of us…”

The passengers nod half-heartedly as they walk off.

Investigation Teams:
Street: Koichi, Urumi, V.A.L.
Three Buildings: Keri, Oscar.
Four Buildings: Raul, Bryan, Jack.

With their investigation finished, everyone, including Raul, makes their way to the storage room. The floor is already lifted when they arrive, allowing them to head into to the trial room for the fourth time.

The view out the window now displays the vast plains surrounding the town, brightly illuminated by the sun high in the sky. The many portraits marking the podiums of the deceased were now joined by one depicting Irene… and one depicting James. The passengers slowly walked to their podiums.

James… alright, nobody here actually liked him. He was a jerk from start to finish, never worthy of the class's trust. He was ready to kill for his own selfish motivations and didn't regret it in the slightest. He was irredeemable and the others knew it.

Still, his antics were one of the few things they could count on remaining the same, and no one could deny that the group just felt strange without him. Even after everything he’d done, it was hard to feel relieved that he had been murdered. Still, they had no choice but to discover the truth of his death.

After all, the one who had killed him… was one of them.

(Please stand-by. You will receive your alibis some time in the next 31,392.6 years.)
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Re: Danganronpa F4: One-Way Ticket to Ride (Ch4 Trial)Topic%20Title

ASCEND

“Welcome to the class trial!” Otto says, “I hope we can get through this one without any of us turning to the bottle! Now, Mr. Crawford, can you put up that map of El Pueblo de Tomás I asked you to put together.”

“Sure thing! Here you go,” Kyle says.

The students look to the screen, where a map that looks like it was drawn by an inept person is displayed.

Otto looks at the map with an expression comparable to that of a man who just saw his dog expunge its waste down the laundry chute.

“Kyle… What?”

“Look, man, I was just really busy, okay?” he replies, “I’ll put together a less crappy looking one soon, alright?”

Otto sighs and looks back at the group. “Alright, whatever. Time to share those alibis, everyone!”

(Also the dog can be here too I guess)
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Re: Danganronpa F4: One-Way Ticket to Ride (Ch4 Trial)Topic%20Title

Shy guy

"Um, first I have a question," Keri began uneasily. "Who is the blackened if someone else placed a live bullet in Bryan's revolver?"
Page 91 of 115 [ 4572 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, 93, 94 ... 115  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus