Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 21 of 22[ 880 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Re: Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations (CASETopic%20Title

ASCEND

Oh yeah for the handwriting I tried to make it not just “my handwriting,” but maybe that means it’s impossible to read. If you need me to, I can add in Times New Roman labels.

Spoiler: Updates will now be written in front of a studio audience.
and I’m the only one and I walk alone.

Examine: Nonexistent Crowd

Vesti scanned the outside of the windmill, looking for any signs of non-Seldon life forms. Unfortunately, there was not a single one to be found. All he discovered was empty evening air, the breath of the crowd already scattered upon the wind.

“Hmm…I wonder where all those people went?” Vesti said.

“They’re probably mostly at Reede’s house, tryin’ to figure out what to do,” Seldon replied, “I doubt anyone’s gonna get any sleep tonight. If it’s not the sight at the windmill that’s hauntin’ them, it’ll be the thought of a Yiga clansman skulking about the town!” Seldon’s massive frame shivered.

“Well, if our witnesses are right, then he’s in custody already!” Vesti exclaimed, knowing deep down that the witnesses were probably wrong.

“Oh, absolutely! And that’s got me thinkin’…” Seldon said, stroking his chin with a sly grin on his face. “If we were to, you know…rough him up a little, maybe it’d help the villagers know there’s nothin’ to be afraid of! Whaddaya think?”

“Err…well, it’s certainly a unique idea,” Vesti said, “Unfortunately, it’s kind of…completely against my ethical standards. Maybe you could just stare at him a little instead? You know, intimidate him?”

“Even better! Come on, let’s go!”

“Alright. Just give me a second,” Vesti replied with a quick nod. “I’m not quite finished with examining the people who aren’t here.”

Seldon’s brow furrowed. “Hmph! Well, in that case, maybe I should practice my intimidating glare on you!” He crossed his arms and stared down at Vesti, looming over him. It was funnier than it was frightening, but Vesti felt the pressure nonetheless.

(Hmm…I should probably get moving pretty soon…)

Move: Great Ton Pu Inn

Tired of getting stared at by Seldon, Vesti said, “Alright. Lead me to the in--”

“Great! Follow me!” Seldon raced ahead, feet pounding down the hill toward the town square.

“Wha--Wait, hold on!” Vesti shouted, hurrying after Seldon.

The two continued down the hill. Seldon’s form was excellent; he sprinted down like he was running a marathon. Vesti stumbled pathetically after him, though he was careful not to lose sight of the guide.

Date: ??? Time: One Short Trek down a Long Hill Later. Location: Great Ton Pu Inn.

“And this is our humble inn!”

Seldon kicked the door of the large stone building open, revealing a homely interior. Vesti was struggling to regain his breath and covered in dirt after falling over two or three times. Upon spotting people within, he quickly straightened himself out and walked through the door.

The first person Vesti saw was the woman running the check-in desk. Her pointed ears sliced through her long, flowing brown hair. She wore a teal shirt over a white undershirt, a red bow, and slightly less makeup than Bolson.

“Hello there!” the woman said, cheerfully. “Welcome to the Great Ton Pu Inn! Will you be staying tonight?”

Vesti was a little taken aback by her attitude, considering the circumstances. He eventually replied, “Uhh…No. We’re actually here to meet someone. Is Beedle here?”

The clerk’s smile wavered a little. “Oh…I see. Well, yes. He’s tied up right in there.” She pointed straight ahead, through an opening on the right. “Though someone else is already there meeting him.”

“That must be Percy!” Seldon cried, heading in without hesitation.

Vesti followed after him, but stopped to address the clerk. “Thank you, uhh…what’s your name?”

“Prima!” she replied, curtsying. “You must be the other detective. Feel free to ask me if you have any questions!”

“Thank you, I will!”

As Vesti continued into the next room, he thought he heard Prima’s voice behind him. “And try not to get dirt on the sheets.”

“What?” Vesti looked behind him. “Did you say something?”

“Hmm? No, not at all,” Prima shook her head. “Maybe you’re just paranoid, what with the murder and all…”

“I see…” Vesti chose to drop the issue and walked after Seldon.

He found himself in a large communal bedroom, likely for the guests of the inn. There were six neat and clean beds spaced evenly throughout the room. Percy sat on one, still wearing the blue hood he’d purchased, looking at a nearby chair. Occupying it was a timid-looking man with a head of round, brown hair, a long face, and a large red nose. He wore a white tank top, a red headscarf, and a pair of jeans. It was easy to see the source of his discomfort; he was tied to the chair with ropes made of several articles of clothing.

Vesti also noticed a large backpack on the floor, likely as tall as the man was. The interior was white and the exterior was brown, but the most peculiar feature was a large horn sticking out of the top. It immediately dawned on Vesti who the man was, and why he was called Beedle.

“I’m telling ya’, man! I had nothing to do with it!” Beedle wailed in a high-pitched, scratchy voice. “I just came by to do some business and peddle my wares!”

“That may be true, but multiple witnesses have reported seeing you skulking near the crime scene.” Percy replied, “Do you have an explanation that accounts for what they saw?”

“Well, you and your witnesses are off your rocker!” Beedle cried, “Golly, just look right out the window there! It’s darker than a squad o’ squids dancin’ in a shark pond! I’m just gettin’ thrown in the drink cause I’m not from around here!”

“Indeed, but there’s more to it than that,” Percy said, “We believe this murder was committed by a member of the Yiga clan. As a traveling salesman, you’d be most capable of infiltrating villages to further the cult’s practices unnoticed.”

“You’re crazy! Don’t you know that’s crazy?!” Beedle shouted, thrashing against the ropes. “I’m no more a clansman than you are a ladybug! I’ve had to stop those hooligans from swipin’ banana slugs from my backpack more times than I can count legs on a centipede’s trousers! Why would I join their side all of a sudden, huh?”

Percy sighed, leaning back on the bed and clutching his forehead. He spotted the detective enter out of the corner of his eye. “Oh, good. You’re here, Vesti. Maybe you’d be better equipped to deal with his special brand of insanity.”

“Wow, I’ve never heard you say something so kind, Percy,” Vesti said, “I’ll try not to let you down.”

As Vesti and Seldon approached Beedle, the salesman attempted to lean away from them.

“A-And who are you two! The bad cops?” Beedle shook his head, “Well, you can beat me up all you want, but you can’t beat the guilt into me!”

“We’re not here to hurt you,” Vesti said calmly. “We just want to ask you a few ques--”

“Hey, why’s the big guy starin’ at me like that! I didn’t do nothin’!” Beedle closed his eyes and curled up like a pillbug.

Vesti turned around and looked at Seldon, who was performing the intimidating stance he’d practiced earlier. Upon noticing him, Seldon smiled. “Works like a charm, doesn’t it?”

Vesti sighed. “Yeah, excellent work, Seldon. Maybe just cool it down a little, though. I think he gets the picture.” Vesti carefully scanned the inn.

(Seems like there’s a lot to unpack here. I can catch up with Percy, try to get a coherent story out of Beedle…or maybe see if Prima knows anything. Still, none of those options seem too appealing, but someone’s gotta do it!)

Investigation: Great Ton Pu Inn
Examine:
Beds, Backpack, Desk.
Talk:
Percy
The Accusation
Investigation Results
Beedle
Traveling Salesman
Your Alibi
Prima
Your Account
Move:
Windmill
Kochi Dye Shop
Present:
To Percy
To Beedle
To Seldon
What will you do?

Prestige: 100%

Evidence: https://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?p=1437930#p1437930
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Shy guy

Let's start with Percy, see what he has to say as he got here first. Ask about the accusation!

Happy Maria

Look at the beds.

Gettin' Old!

Ask Beedle what he sells.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

ASCEND

Spoiler: Dab on the haters
I walk alone, I walk alone
I walk alone, I walk a

Talk: Percy Graham: The Accusation

Vesti sat on the bed next to Percy. “So fill me in on the accusation here. Why is Beedle under so much suspicion?” Vesti stared at the quivering salesman. “He’s not exactly…threatening.”

“As was mentioned several times earlier,” Percy explained, “It mainly has to do with the witnesses. As you know, Bolson and Sayge believe they witnessed the crime, but Prima - the clerk here - has decisive testimony as well.”

“Her too?” Vesti cried, “I’ll have to talk to her then.”

“I’ve also received word that a fourth witness may exist,” Percy added.

“Four witnesses?! You’re kidding! This case is either open-and-shut or an absolute mess. Have you found any evidence?”

“All things considered, there isn’t much evidence,” Percy replied, “Well, aside from the fact that Beedle is covered in bloodstains.”

“What?!” Vesti’s head whipped back to the salesman. Indeed, dark red stains covered his shirt. Vesti was surprised he missed it, though it was probably because Beedle’s bindings covered them (and certainly not because the author forgot to mention it).

“All in all, any further deliberation is a waste of time. The culprit has already been found,” Percy remarked, “But as he’s already in custody, I see no reason not to conduct a thorough investigation for the sake of certainty.”

Though still reeling at Percy’s revelations, Vesti couldn’t help but chuckle. “Oh, come on. You just want to stick around here longer, don’t you?!”

Percy fell silent for a moment. “That is irrelevant to our investigation.”

“Why are you two whispering over there?!” Beedle suddenly shouted, “Are you arguing over who has to do the dirty deed of disposing me?”

“Oh, don’t worry, fella. They do that all the time. Seems to me they’re just really great friend,” Seldon assured him.

Examine: Beds

Vesti walked around the room, methodically examining every single bed. They really were quite nice beds. Clean sheets, soft mattresses, and a beautifully carved frame. He certainly didn’t expect such perfect beds from a little town like Hateno.

“Wow, these are some nice beds! I bet they’d be really comfy!” Vesti said.

“Oh! Are you considering staying in our inn?” Prima shouted from the other room.

“Err, not yet!” Vesti replied, “But perhaps after all this is taking care of! I have a job to do, you know.”

“Alright, that’s fine!” Prima said, “Yeah, yeah I got a job to do too, buddy…”

“Oh, you’re wondering about our beds?” Seldon said, “Yes, they are mighty fine, aren’t they? Each frame is carved by the men at Bolson Construction using wood chopped from the nearby forest. The mattresses are packed with wool sheared off sheep at the Hateno Pasture near the top of the hill. Every season we all chip in to lug the stuff down in carts. It’s the softest wool you could imagine, and one of our primary exports!”

“Oh, wow, that’s interesti--”

Seldon is not yet finished. “As for the blankets and sheets, they’re hand-woven by a group of local women. They meet every two weeks to create clothes, blankets, and other essentials! There are so many talented people in our little town. It does my heart good to see travelers commend the fruits of our labor. Even if there aren’t many people here, we work harder than anybody - and that’s cause we’re such a tightly-knit community! You agree, right?”

The room fell silent for a moment as Vesti tried to make sure Seldon was actually done. “Uhh, y-yeah. You’re absolutely right. Thanks for the lesson.”

(That was a complete waste of time…but then again, one of these beds would really brighten up my apartment. Maybe I should grab some supplies before I leave.)

Talk: Beedle: Traveling Salesman

Vesti attempted to promote casually, with an amiable smile. “So, out of curiosity, what kind of stuff do you sell, Beedle?”

“What’s in it for you?!” Beedle asked, “Looking to pawn off my wares to the highest bidder once I’m gone? Is that it?”

“Uhh…” Vesti said, “I was actually thinking about…buying?”

“Really?” Beedle’s face broke out in a blissful grin. “Well why didn’t you say so! I’ve got all kinda wares that’ll catch your eye faster than a firefly at midnight! Take a look!” Beedle made to open his backpack, only to find the ropes blocking his escape. He leaned over in his chair, a little saddened.

Percy shook his head. “Surely you can recall the items at your own store…Just tell him.”

“Oh, good idea,” Beedle exclaimed, “Basically, I’ve always got a few arrows for folks who are into archery. But the main attraction are my bugs!”

“Bugs?” Vesti asked.

“Yes, bugs! I travel by foot from stable to town to stable, offerin’ special bugs depending on where I’m staying! That way if you meet me somewhere else, you can get something new. And I always charge a fair price…or my name’s not Beedle!”

“Hold on, why would the average person want to buy bugs?”

“They’re more useful than you think,” Beedle explained, “Most bugs and critters have special properties. If you cook ‘em and mix ‘em together, you can make useful potions. They can improve your strength, your speed, anything! I even had a little recipe book, until a certain fella over there got his dirty hands all over it.” Beedle glared pointedly at Percy.

The prosecutor nodded, grabbing a large tome from the nightstand beside him. It was a heavy, leather-bound journal with a picture of a beetle embedded on it in gemstone.

“Yes, this is the journal here. Feel free to take a look at it. I can’t be certain anything here is actually relevant, but it may be worth a quick perusal.” Percy held the book out to Vesti.

The detective took it. A small ribbon sticking out the top immediately caught his eye. He turned to the page it was marking and found a section about a concoction that could be made from a few butterflies and a frog.

“Looks like this section here was bookmarked.” Vesti said, smoothing out the faded page. “It looks like some kind of…medicine?”

“Oh, I had a client in town who’d put in an order for some of that stuff!” Beedle explained, “That’s the only reason I was here. Honest!”

(This might be worth a more detailed perusal later…but for now, I should focus on the more immediately relevant things.)

Examine:
Backpack, Desk.
Talk:
Percy
The Accusation
Investigation Results
Beedle
Traveling Salesman
Your Alibi
Prima
Your Account
Move:
Windmill
Kochi Dye Shop
Present:
To Percy
To Beedle
To Seldon
What will you do?

This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Shy guy

Time to ask Beedle about his alibi now that he's more comfortable!

Happy Maria

What did Prima see???

Gettin' Old!

Time to assume this "client" was the real criminal, calling Beedle here to frame him.

And ask about his Alibi.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

ASCEND

Spoiler: The depths of my hammock threaten to consume me.
My shadow’s the only one that walks beside me

Talk: Beedle: Your Alibi

“So you mentioned coming to meet this ‘client’ of yours,” Vesti said, “But what did you actually end up doing? Do you have an alibi for the time of the murder?”

“Hmm…Good question, my friend! Just give me a moment to gather my thoughts,” Beedle cocked his head to the side as if deep in contemplation. He hummed loudly for emphasis. Just when Vesti was beginning to grow annoyed, Beedle loudly exclaimed, “I don’t got a clue. I mean, really! None of you have even had the decency to tell me when the crime I’ve been accused of took place. You might as well be throwin’ a dung beetle in a compost pile and telling it to get to work!”

“The incident occurred around midnight last night,” Percy muttered through gritted teeth.

“Thank you!” Beedle cried, “That’s much better! And you know what really seals the deal?” Beedle grinned at Percy. “You’ve just gone and dug your own grave…because my alibi for midnight is rock solid!”

“Is that so?” Percy asked dubiously. “In that case, please fill me in.”

“Of course. Now, listen up. See, what had happened was,” Beedle replied confidently. “I arrived at the designated meeting spot to see my client! But they never showed - the nerve! So now I was waiting around in there like a termine at a construction site. And then, to make matters worse, I got stabbed with a knife and blacked out! As soon as I woke up again, I skedaddled outta there and headed down to the inn! Honest!”

Beedle noticed the stares he was getting from the detectives and saw fit to add, “It’s true! I can show you my wound if you want! It’s right here in my shoulder!”

Vesti heard Prima mumbling in the other room. “He’s totally lying.”

“Hey! I ain’t fibbin’!” Beedle shouted, “My alibi’s perfect! There’s no way I’m your guy!”

“Uhh…” Vesti eventually replied, “There’s a lot to unpack here, but one part stands out to me. Your ‘meeting spot’…where was it?”

“Oh, right! Sorry, I forgot,” Beedle said, “It was the big windmill!”

Percy and Vesti exchanged annoyed glances. The detective turned back to the salesman. “Beedle…You do know that the windmill is the scene of the crime…right?”

“Wh-What?!” Beedle shouted, “No, there’s no way! It can’t be!”

“I’m afraid it is,” Percy added, “Not to mention…even if you did have a stab wound in your shoulder, it couldn’t possibly be responsible for all the bloodstains on your clothes. The splatter patterns don’t line up at all.”

“No…No way. My perfect alibi…” Beedle leaned over in his chair. He seemed thoroughly broken. “How could they tear it apart so fast! They must have forged evidence…I’m doomed!”

“That alibi was hardly perfect in the first place,” Percy said, “Introducing a third party to the scene…it’s what any killer in your position would have done.”

“Still, we can’t discount the possibility that he’s telling the truth. I’ve seen crazier things than that!” Vesti replied.

“Unfortunately, you’re right,” Percy grumbled. “But for now, I’ll assume otherwise.”

Talk: Prima: Your Account

Vesti left behind a sobbing Beedle and headed to the front desk, where Prima was waiting. She was leaning over the counter with her head rested on one fist, but she perked up the moment Vesti entered.

“Oh, hello!” Prima said, “Have you changed your mind about booking a room?”

“No, I’m afraid not,” Vesti explained, “I was actually interested in hearing your account of last night.”

Prima’s shoulders slumped, and her cheerful features collapsed into exhaustion. “Ah, I should have known. I’ll try to keep it quick.”

She leaned over the counter again, twirling her finger around in the air and staring at it. “Well, unlike Sayge and Bolson, I didn’t see much of the actual murder. The inn had closed down hours ago, so I was asleep upstairs. Then, well…I heard a loud bang from below, so I had to investigate.”

“I dragged myself out of bed and headed downstairs,” Prima rolled her eyes, “And I notice that that…fellow’s thrown the door open. So he’s standing there, absolutely covered in blood…and he has the gall to ask me to book him a room!”

“So of course I knew something was up,” Prima explained, “I decided to restrain him until other folks who’d know better arrived…No thanks necessary. Eventually some townsfolk came to report the bad news…and I’ve been awake since.”

“Well, you definitely did the right thing,” Vesti exclaimed, “Thanks for the information, but I have one more question…did you happen to notice if Beedle happened to have some sort of wound last night?”

“As it turns out, he did! He’d been stabbed in the shoulder, apparently,” Prima answered, “I found that out when I searched him and his backpack for weapons and such after the others arrived. But I didn’t find anything important, besides the obvious wound…that’s why I didn’t bother to mention it.”

“Well, there’s a chance that information may still be useful,” Vesti said, “I’ll make a note of it. Thanks!”

“Don’t mention it,” Prima said cheerfully. “Hospitality and happiness is what the Great Ton Pu is all about!”

Vesti smiled and hurriedly rejoined Percy before he could overhear the clerk mumbling something else about him.

(That’s probably all the information I’m going to get from these witnesses. Still, there may be something useful I’m overlooking. I should take another look around.)

Examine:
Backpack, Desk.
Talk:
Percy
The Accusation
Investigation Results
Beedle
Traveling Salesman
Your Alibi
Prima
Your Account
Move:
Windmill
Kochi Dye Shop
Present:
To Percy
To Beedle
To Seldon
What will you do?

Gettin' Old!

Let's bust open that backpack!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

Shy guy

And let's bust open Percy's investigation results!

Might be nice to see the shoulder wound too but it doesn't sound like we can learn much from it. Just in case, though, I'm wondering if it's possible it's self-inflicted, or if at the very least it had to be someone else that did that.

Happy Maria

Bust open the.... um, desk?

Gettin' Old!

Then let's flex and bust open our...sweatervest?
Made by Chesu+Zombee

ASCEND

Spoiler: h E L PP
OshaliteX2 wrote:
Examine the desk and segue into investigation results.

Examine: Desk

Deciding that it would be a good idea to go bother Prima some more, Vesti briefly departed the sleeping area in order to examine the front desk more closely. He ran his fingers carefully through the grooves of its mahogany surface and then leaned over it to check the opposite side for any hidden compartments or secrets.

Prima, unsurprisingly, was a little displeased, but managed an awkward chuckle. “Uhh…sir? What exactly do you think you’re doing?”

“I’m investigating the desk, of course!” Vesti explained, rifling through the pages of the open guest register. “Perhaps the killer stashed something away here when no one was looking? Being a little meticulous never hurt anybody!”

“Oh, yes. I suppose that makes sense!” Prima replied, “Still, every adage has its exceptions…”

Ignoring the clerk, Vesti bumbled around the desk to take a look at the backside. Prima hoisted herself over the counter and perched atop it. Vesti failed to notice, as he was too busy checking the floor for secret trapdoors. Unfortunately, he came up empty-handed. It seemed there was nothing at all important or meaningful about the front desk.

Vesti stood up again and started shuffling toward the door. “Well, good news! Your desk is completely clean! It’s most likely irrelevant to the murder. With that said, I’ll return to my investigation in the other room. I have a few questions to ask Percy!”

“That’s good to hear!” Prima cheerfully replied, “I hope you finish up your work there as quickly as possible!”

Vesti grinned sheepishly and disappeared into the other room.

Talk: Percy Graham: Investigation Results

Upon entering, Vesti approached Percy. “So, you haven’t told me much about what you’ve been up to on your own. Have you learned anything noteworthy?”

“Other than how much I detest bugs, I wouldn’t say so,” Percy said, pulling his hood low over his eyes.

“You met some of the other townsfolk before this doomed interrogation though, right? You also mentioned a fourth witness. Can you tell me more about that?”

“Oh, yes, I suppose,” Percy replied, “I haven’t met her though. Apparently she’s the elusive scientist living in the research lab on top of the hill. She spotted something from up there and sent her assistant down to report it to us. He spotted everyone taking their shot at the arrested Yiga clansman and came by.”

“Why didn’t she come in person?” Vesti asked.

“I, well…I have my suspicions,” Percy said, “But you likely wouldn’t believe me if I told you.”

“What--”

“Anyway, it was hard to make progress beyond that. The villagers were very…rowdy,” Percy explained, “They were all shouting at Beedle. Several of them threatened to deal justice to him right then and there…I’m admittedly a little apprehensive about what will be done once the investigation is over.”

“Geez,” Vesti mumbled, glancing at Beedle. “I guess that explains why he’s so on edge.”

“Yet if he’s truly the killer he deserved every word of it,” Percy added.

“Well…thanks for the information,” Vesti said, “I suppose I’ll have to speak with that scientist later on.”

“Oh, right,” Percy said, “The assistant also claimed she wouldn’t be taking any visitors. If you climb all the way up that hill, you’ll most likely just be turned back at the door. I have no idea what that’s all about. It sounded almost like she was…planning something.”

“Great. Crazy, old, reclusive scientists…just what this mystery needed. Guess I only have one place left to go, then…” Vesti sighed.

Examine: Backpack

“Alright…just one more thing to do here,” Vesti said, “Let’s take a look at this backpack.”

Vesti knelt beside the ridiculously large backpack. It was three times the width of Beedle and about matched his height, counting the singular horn jutting from the top. The backpack itself was stocked full, but it was covered in additional accessories: a bedroll, several bags, an awning to shade Beedle’s head, and a folding counter for displaying goods.

Vesti couldn’t help but ask the obvious question. “Uhh, Beedle? How can you lug this thing around all day and, well…survive?”

Beedle laughed. “Oh, you want to know my secret? Well, fine. Listen up…Restless crickets! Just swallow a few handfuls for breakfast, and you’ll be feeling like a champ! I’ve got plenty in stock too! Want to do business, friend?”

“Sorry…I’m a little low on funds right now,” Vesti replied, “But I’d love to take a look at them. They’re in here, right?”

Vesti zipped open the top of the backpack and peeked inside. It was completely packed with jars of assorted bugs. Arrows had been shoved around the wares the wrong way round; their tips pointed out of the top like dangerous traps. Vesti was awed that Prima had managed to search the entire backpack earlier and even more awed that Beedle’s Beetle Guide had fit inside in the first place!

“Hey, what are you doing?” Beedle cried, “You can’t just search a man’s backpack like that! What is society coming to?!”

“Well, you do have a point, Beedle…” Vesti said, “I’m not sure I can search this. Percy, can you confirm it was thoroughly checked earlier?”

“Yes,” Percy replied, nodding. “Several members of the town were present when Prima searched it. I also investigated it myself seeing as Beedle wasn’t talking. I found nothing of any worth beyond the Beetle Guide.”

“Good. I’ll probably pass then. However…” Vesti mumbled to himself as he began opening the other bags hanging from the backpack. Most of them contained various essentials or more of the same, but a few, to Vesti’s surprise, were completely empty.

“Beedle…what used to belong in these pouches here?”

“H-Huh? Oh, that?” Beedle replied, “It’s just some extra bags I picked up at some point. I usually keep stuff like that handy. You wouldn’t build a honeycomb with less cells than bees, right?”

“No, I suppose not,” Vesti said, standing up and stepping away from the backpack. “Still, there’s little else to say about this backpack that’s not blindingly obvious.”

{Beedle’s Backpack added to Evidence}

(I seem to have exhausted all the information I’m likely to find here. It’s time to go somewhere new.)

Examine:
There is nothing left to examine!
Talk:
Percy
The Accusation
Investigation Results
Beedle
Traveling Salesman
Your Alibi
Prima
Your Account
Move:
Windmill
Kochi Dye Shop
Present:
To Percy
To Beedle
To Seldon
What will you do?

Happy Maria

Ask Beedle what his least favourite colour is.

Shy guy

Ask the Kochi Dye Shop what its favourite colour is.

Also shout "BOO!" on the way out at Prima.

Gettin' Old!

Before we go, ask Beedle about his client tonight.

The person inadvertently put Beedle at the crime scene. Might have been trying to frame him or create an alibi.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

ASCEND

Spoiler: I have to write this entire update in an hour CAN I DO IT?? (I did)
My shallow heart’s the only thing that’s beating

Talk: Beedle: Your Client

“This ‘client’ you keep mentioning,” Vesti asked, “Who was he?”

“H-Huh?” Beedle stammered, his head perking up. “Why should I tell you that? I bet you’re planning to pin him as an accessory!”

“Uhh…not exactly,” Vesti replied, “But I am a little suspicious of him. You said he invited you to the windmill, which later turned out to be a crime scene. That means he may have been trying to frame you or even give himself an alibi!”

“Ah…Ah, yes! That’s brilliant!” Beedle exclaimed, vibrating about in the chair. “Then that would mean…the killer is him! I’m saved!”

“Who?” Percy asked.

“The head of the village. Reede!” Beedle cried, “How treacherous!”

Vesti fell silent. He stared at the salesman incredulously, but Beedle continued to look skyward with a relieved grin on his face.

“Well,” Percy said, standing up from the bed and stretching. “I think it’s about time I continued with my investigation. We’ll catch up later, detective.” Percy swiftly walked across the room to the exit. Vesti watched as he disappeared out the door.

“Oh, phew!” Beedle said, “I’m glad that jerk’s gone!”

“Uhh…Beedle,” Vesti continued, “You do know that Reede is the victim, right?”

“Well, why should that matter?” Beedle raised his eyebrow. “Isn’t the solution obvious? He wanted to frame me for his own suicide!”

“Sorry, but that’s absolutely absurd,” Vesti explained, “Let’s just change the subject before you make yourself look any more guilty, okay? This medicine you were selling Reede: why did he need it?”

Beedle shook his head. “I can’t tell you that. Client confidentiality, you see!”

“Come on, he’s been murdered. Does that really matter anymore?”

“Well, golly! That’s awfully disrespectful! You wouldn’t say something like that to Reede’s wife, would you?” Beedle shouted, “In fact, I don’t think I want to talk to someone so uncouth. So why don’t you just leave?!”

Vesti contemplated face-planting into the nearby bed. “That might be a good idea, actually.”

(This is getting ridiculous. It’d be easier to just drop by Reede’s place and investigate it for myself… Still, this new information is a little odd. I’m not sure what to make of it yet.)

Move: Kochi Dye Shop

Vesti considered going to the dye shop, but ultimately decided against it. After all, no one actually specifically suggested he go there. So Vesti decided to stick around for a bit and bother those in the inn.

“Hey Beedle,” Vesti said, “What’s your least favorite color?”

“Green. It reminds me of stink bugs…and they’re stinky!” Beedle said, “Now go away.”

“Okay,” Vesti replied. He left the room with all the beds that I really should have come up with an actual name for and approached Prima.

He smiled mischievously and shouted, “BOO!”

Then he spontaneously vanished.

Date: ??? Time: A Mere Moment Later. Location: Kochi Dye Shop.

Vesti found himself approaching a large building covered in red banners. A wide opening with a wooden awning perched above provided an entrance to the shop. Four large glass vials with colorful liquid inside rested atop it. Vesti entered the shop and looked around, wondering how he got there.

“A-ha!” Vesti heard delighted laughter coming from a corner of the room. “So ya’ decided to visit after all! Excellent…”

Vesti turned toward Sayge, who was leaning over a workbench. He shoved aside the ingredients he was working with and turned around, walking toward Vesti with a pleased smile on his face.

“So this is your dye shop then?” Vesti looked around the room. It was fairly similar to the other buildings in Hateno: wooden walls and floors, a stone fireplace. Several workbenches and posters were scattered around. A small second floor jutted out of one side of the room, accessible via ladder. Beds and cupboards were placed atop it. Below this section were two large vats of murky liquid. Vesti could only wonder about their purpose.

“Mm-hm. Perhaps ya’ spotted the sign on the way in?” Sayge said, “Here at Kochi Dye Shop, we live to dye!” Sayge cackled uproariously.

“Yes, that was very clever,” Vesti replied, “But remember, I’m here to learn more about the murder, not to talk fashion.”

“Of course, of course,” Sayge smiled. “But seein’ as you’re here, I don’t see why it’d hurt to take a little look around. Who knows…you might even change your mind!”

Investigation: Kochi Dye Shop
Examine:
Posters, Dye Vats, Workbench, Ladder.
Talk:
Sayge
Witnesses
Fashion
Move:
Windmill
Great Ton Pu Inn
Present:
To Sayge
What will you do?

Shy guy

Those posters sound interesting. As do the GIANT VATS that might be HIDING CORPSES. So investigate those two things.

Gettin' Old!

Present Sayge with my detective badge.

Also isn't it like 1am by this point? Shouldn't Sayge go to sleep.

Talk with him about fashion anyway.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

ASCEND

Spoiler: I don’t wanna examine the posters right now sorry
OshaliteX2 wrote:
Talk about witnesses, then examine the Dye Vats... or should I call them, the DIE VATS???!?!?!??!?!??!?!?!??!?!??!!?

I also can't remember if we asked this guy his favorite color. I might be losing it. It may also be 1 AM at the time of me writing this. WHo knows??

Talk: Sayge: Favorite Color

“Alright, Sayge, first things first,” Vesti said, crossing his arms firmly. “What’s your favorite color?”

“Ha! We’re quite alike, you and I!” Sayge remarked, planting a hand on Vesti’s shoulder. “The way I see it, the best way to get to know someone is by askin’ about their favorite hues.”

“Oh, uh…yeah. I agree,” Vesti answered, discreetly nudging Sayge’s hand away.

“Unfortunately, that question ain’t so easy for me. It’s harder to choose favorite colors than least favorites,” Sayge held up his hands and looked to the sky, as if addressing some deity. “I believe that all dyes on the color wheel have incredible versatility, y’see! It depends entirely on the person, the clothes they wear, and the world around them as to which calls out the loudest!”

“Uhh, just out of curiosity,” Vesti asked, “How can you manage to be this…enthusiastic? Isn’t it already after 1 PM? I was surprised that you were even still awake.”

“Oh, well,” Sayge looked aside, “With everything that’s been going on tonight, I just couldn’t keep my eyes closed, y’know? Figured I’d get workin’ on some new dye techniques to keep my mind offa things. Not to mention my wife’s been out buryin’ the body, and I’d like to be there for her when she gets back.”

“Yeah, I get that. I can tell you care about your wife a lot…and the town as well.”

“Exactly…so listen, fella,” Sayge added, “I really respect what you’re doin’ here. But remember this—I know what I saw. So if you start tryin’ to bring it into question, I won’t just stand idly by…y’see?” Sayge raised his eyebrow at Vesti.

Vesti sighed. “Yeah, crystal clear.”

Examine: Dye Vats

Vesti walked to the edge of the room, where the second floor jutted out over the vats. It was clear upon closer inspection that they contained numerous colorful dyes. Vesti also noticed trapdoors on the floor above, situated directly over the dye vats. Vesti could only wonder what Sayge’s methods truly entailed.

“Hmm…I can’t see a single thing in these vats,” Vesti remarked, “I guess if someone were to die, you could hide them perfectly in the dye, huh?”

“Eh? No way!” Sayge shouted, his back stiffening up. “There ain’t nothin’ in there! Trust me!”

Vesti gave Sayge a skeptical look. “Uhh…I was just joking. We already found the only person who was killed tonight.”

“Oh…Oh, right! Ha! I get it!” Sayge cackled, “Sorry, I’ve just been a little on-edge lately, even with the murderous clansman all tied up! Sorry! I didn’t mean to worry ya’!”

“No apology necessary,” Vesti replied, turning back to the vats.

He paused and stared into the murky depths of the tanks. Sayge’s reaction had left Vesti a little suspicious, so he grabbed a nearby broom and stuck it end-first into the water. He ran it back and forth across the bottom of the pool, but didn’t bump into any objects within a single vat. It seemed Sayge was indeed telling the truth, just in a questionable way.

Talk: Sayge: Fashion

Vesti put back the broom and rejoined Sayge.

“You seemed pretty insistent on bringing me here to discuss fashion earlier,” Vesti remarked, “What exactly did you have in mind?”

“Well, y’see, the variety of hues in your ensemble is excellently chosen. The shades of green on your vest go well with your other articles of cool, dark clothing. But unfortunately, you’re missing just one thing,” Sayge adopts a shrewd expression, holding a hand in front of his face and forming a small space between his thumb and index finger. “One accessory that would make it not absolutely terrible!”

“An accessory…?” Vesti replied, “I think I might have just the thing!”

Present: Sayge: Police Badge

Vesti pulled his police badge out of his pocket. “You’re talking about this, right?”

“Precisely!” Sayge raised a finger into the air. “As I said earlier, it would make a fine accessory…were it not for its blindingly bright color. However, I have the solution! Watch this!”

Sayge reached over and snatched the badge from Vesti’s hand. He removed it from the small leather binder it was nestled within and held it into the air.

“H-Hey, don’t touch it! You’ll smudge up the surface!” Vesti cried, reaching desperately for the badge.

Unfortunately, Sayge pulled it away just a hair faster. “Just trust me on this one. I’m an expert, y’see!”

Suddenly, Sayge grabbed a gun from the workbench behind him! However, this was no ordinary gun; it was covered in switches and dye-filled vials inside. Sayge’s fingers moved like lightning, flipping various levers and then pulling the trigger. A steady stream of goop shot forth from the nozzle and covered the badge.

“NOOOOOO!” Vesti cried, reaching for the badge in slow-motion. But it was too late. Sayge quickly returned the badge to Vesti, who stared at its once-shiny surface in horror. The badge had been dyed to match the pattern of Vesti’s sweater vest perfectly, plaid stripes and all.

“This looks completely ridiculous!” Vesti shouted.

“Yes, you’re quite welcome,” Sayge replied cluelessly. “Thanks to my Good-Day-to-Dye-Fine Machine, the badge blends in perfectly with the rest of your outfit, while still providin’ that extra glitter you so sorely needed! I’m an absolute genius, aren’t I? Now, feel free to try it on!”

Vesti shoved the badge into his pocket dismissively. “I’ll…wait until I see a reflection first.”

“Suit yourself,” Sayge said, “But just a warning—the moment you put it on, you’ll set the fashion world on fire!” He laughed uproariously, quite proud of himself.

{Police Badge updated in Evidence}

Examine:
Posters, Workbench, Ladder.
Talk:
Sayge
Witnesses
Fashion
Move:
Windmill
Great Ton Pu Inn
Present:
To Sayge
What will you do?

Shy guy

Not the baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaadge! We all thought the badge, if nothing else, was sacred and untouchable!

Well uh time to ask him about the witnesses I suppose.

Gettin' Old!

Ask Sayge about his Alibi at the time of the murder.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

ASCEND

Spoiler: Updates will be pretty lame for a bit, apologies in advance
Sometimes I wish someone out there will find me

Talk: Sayge: Witnesses

Anyway, what can you tell me about the other witnesses to the crime?” Vesti said, trying to hide his annoyance.

“Well y’see, I don’t believe anyone actually saw the moment of the murder, per se,” Sayge explained, “But when you put all our accounts together, it makes Beedle look mighty questionable.”

“I’ll be the judge of that. You only saw Beedle walking around outside, right?”

“Precisely. But he was sneakin’ around all suspicious-like, and I think he was headin’ for the windmill!”

“You think he was or you know?” Vesti asked pointedly.

Sayge cackled. “Well, I suppose I can’t be certain. But he was definitely goin’ in that direction, and Bolson saw him enter it later. So it ain’t exactly a huge stretch o’ the imagination.”

“I can’t really argue there,” Vesti admitted, “What about the others?”

“Well, Prima saw Beedle enter the inn after he committed the murder, but you mighta already talked to her,” Sayge explained, “There’s also the scientist at the research station on the hill—Purah. But I don’t got a clue what she witnessed. Supposedly she’s not comin’ down to Hateno till tomorrow at noon!”

“I see…yeah, Percy told me something like that earlier,” Vesti mumbled, “We might have to gather up all the key players for when she arrives!”

“That’s all the witnesses who’ve come forward right now,” Sayge added, “But who knows, it’s a big town. Maybe there are more witnesses who haven’t come forward yet!”

“I hope not,” Vesti said, “We’ve got more than enough already…”

Talk: Sayge: Alibi

“There’s something I’ve been wondering about,” Vesti said, “What were you up to after you spotted Beedle in the woods?”

“That would be while the murder was committed, eh?” Sayge said, putting his hand to his chin. “Are you thinkin’ of accusin’ me? And after I spruced up that badge of yours, too?!”

“I’m only gathering up all the information I can,” Vesti explained, “It’s just standard protocol to ask.”

“Well, unfortunately, I don’t have any sort of alibi,” Sayge explained, “I hadn’t been out for long before spotting Beedle, so I still had to collect all the ingredients I was lookin’ for. It took me a while to track ‘em down, so I was only just heading back when the body was found…I do have the ingredients though! You can see them if you want!”

“That’s not necessary,” Vesti replied, “A few random plants wouldn’t really prove anything either.”

“Simply lacking an alibi ain’t proof either!” Sayge replied, “My wife was here at home alone, but I know she’s innocent! There’s probably plenty of other folks who were alone too. And you know who else didn’t have an alibi? Beedle!”

“Seems like you’re getting a little defensive,” Vesti said, raising an eyebrow.

“I told you, didn’t I?” Sayge replied, “I don’t take kindly to folks questionin’ the truth I witnessed. This ain’t about me, it’s about the safety of our town!”

“Oh, don’t worry, you’ve made yourself very clear,” Vesti replied, pretending to give Sayge a suspicious glare.

The dye seller crossed his arms indignantly but otherwise said nothing.

(I think I’m done here. It might be more productive to go back to Seldon’s room and get some sleep, then continue the investigation in the morning. Unless there’s still more worth looking at here…)

Examine:
Posters, Workbench, Ladder.
Talk:
Sayge
Witnesses
Fashion
Move:
Windmill
Great Ton Pu Inn
Ventest Clothing Boutique
Present:
To Sayge
What will you do?

Shy guy

Okay but those posters though please I was promised the posters

Gettin' Old!

Regroup with Percy and call it a night
Made by Chesu+Zombee

ASCEND

Sorry for the EXTREME lateness! I knew I had to finish planning the trial before going into the last part of the investigation, but I was busy and unmotivated. Then I got overloaded with work so it took even longer

Spoiler: Oh GOD I PRE-WROTE THAT MESSAGE SO LONG AGO I’M SO SORRY
Till then I walk alone

Examine: Posters

Before Vesti had the chance to leave, he felt a voice calling to him—compelling him to look at the posters. Or perhaps he was merely very tired, which was a distinct possibility. Either way, he decided to stroll by each of the posters for a closer look.

Most of them were just recipes for Sayge’s favorite dyes. Another provided a cross-section of the dye vats in the corner of the room. However, one in particular caught Vesti’s eye. It was a blueprint of the gun Sayge had just tarnished his badge with, covered in vials and switches.

“Looks like you’ve been working on this for a long time, huh?” Vesti remarked.

“I certainly have!” Sayge laughed, grabbing the gun and smacking it roughly. “This is my magnum opus, after all! It was a long time coming, but I’ve managed to create the most advanced dyeing machine ever! And I’ve barely even scratched the surface of everything it can do!”

“Oh, really? What other uses does it have besides mutilating my accessories?” Vesti asked.

“I’m glad ya’ asked! See, some of its planned features aren’t quite ready yet,” Sayge explained, “But it’s all right there on the poster! Aside from its state-o’-the-art fine dying technology, the Good-Day-to-Dye Machine also features a storage container inside the grip, special sensors that can identify the composition of whatever is placed inside…and a cupholder!”

“Wow,” Vesti mumbled, hoping Sayge didn’t notice he’d just about checked out. “That’s a lot to cram into such a tiny device.”

“Indeed! I’m simply a genius, ain’t I?” Sayge cackled madly to himself. “I wouldn’t call it perfect yet though. It’s definitely malfunctioned more times than I can count! And when it does, the results tend to be quite…messy.”

“Well, I suppose you’d expect such a revolutionary piece of technology to have a few kinks.”

“Very true! It’s a real beauty, huh?” Sayge exclaimed, “And who knows how many secret functions I simply haven’t told you about! You’d better watch out, detective!”

(Ugh…I’ve seriously gotta leave NOW.)

{Dye Store Posters added to Evidence}

Move: Ventest Clothing Boutique

“Well, it really is quite late…” Vesti said, faking a yawn. “I should probably call it a night. You too, if you can.”

“Yes, I suppose you’re right,” Sayge replied, “In that case, I bid you a good rest. I believe we will meet again very soon!”

“I’ll be looking forward to it,” Vesti said, dashing out of the dye shop before Sayge could say anything else. The dye shop owner simply watched him go, the same stupid grin frozen on his face.

Date: ??? Time: The Next Day. Location: Hateno Outskirts.

Blue flames blazed in the stone lanterns leading the way down the dirt path to the edge of town. Vesti followed Percy to a small wooden cottage on the edge of the forest, refreshed after a good night’s sleep. The building looked cozy, surrounded by patches of tilled dirt dedicated to growing colorful flowers. However, the windows were vaguely off-putting, with long curtains depicting mysterious runes in black paint blocking them off.

Percy had dressed himself completely in local clothing, easily taking on the guise of a Hylian traveler, but with his blue hood pulled over his head in the same brooding manner, the change wasn’t really that dramatic. Fortunately, it was still the most surprising thing that occurred that morning (aside from Seldon almost plummeting from a window), as Beedle was still stuck in the inn and no more bodies had been found.

“I still fail to understand why you insisted on following me here, Mr. Gates,” Percy muttered.

“Hey, we both needed to investigate the victim’s home at some point,” Vesti replied, “The job will get done faster if we do it together! I don’t have much else to look into before the other witness drops by, anyway.”

“I have a strange feeling that you only want to keep an eye on me,” Percy said, “Make sure I don’t do anything you’d consider questionable.”

“Nonsense!” Vesti levelled with Percy and patted him sharply on the back. “We’re a team this time, Percy. Besides, the primary suspect is already incarcerated. I know that’s all you care about!”

Percy brushed Vesti’s arm away and sped up his pace. “Just don’t slow me down.”

After walking in silence for a little while, Percy broke off the path and headed down a small slope leading to Reede’s front yard. Vesti was about to follow when he stopped in his tracks. Looking to the right of the path, he noticed a small horned statue near the edge of the treeline, just a few steps away. A crouching figure with a sunken face was etched into the statue’s stone surface, with two horns reaching far into the air. The longer he stared at it, the more Vesti found himself saddled with an odd feeling of dread.

“Hey, Percy…Do you recognize that weird statue over there?” Vesti asked.

Percy followed his gaze until he spotted the statue but didn’t seem particularly concerned. “That thing is simply called the Horned Statue. I wouldn’t worry about it. It won’t hurt you as long as you leave it alone.”

Leaving that ominous message hovering in the air, Percy continued to the cottage’s front door. Vesti gave the statue one last concerned look and then followed him inside.

Date: ??? Time: Moment’s Later. Location: Reede’s Home.

The cottage was unnervingly quiet. Vesti and Percy heard only the creaking of floorboards as they stepped inside. A feeling of dull sorrow permeated from the walls of the building.

Only the faintest glimmer of light filtered between the banners covering the windows. Percy pulled out a torch, lit it, and held it high, illuminating the house’s interior. There wasn’t much to see. For the mayor’s home, it was fairly humble, featuring little furniture aside from three beds, a dining table, and a kitchen. The only decorations to be found were a few childish drawings taped all across the walls, though Vesti noticed that one of the beds looked a little comfier than the others.

“That must be the daughter’s bed,” Vesti remarked, “Speaking of which, where is she? I know a lot of people came over here to look after her yesterday…I would have thought they’d leave her here to get some rest.”

“I’m not sure myself,” Percy admitted, “I did overhear that most of the townsfolk are banding together to build a coffin today. I can only assume she’s still somewhere in town.”

“Yeah, probably.” Vesti scanned the dark room contemplatively. “Either way, we’ve got the whole place to ourselves now. I doubt there’s much to find here, but there’s a chance we’ll at least get a better understanding of what Reede was up to last night.”

Percy nodded. He reached into his pocket and pulled out another torch, handing the lit one to Vesti.

Vesti stared at the other man. “Where are you getting all these torches?”

“I don’t see what the problem is. It’s not like they’re expensive,” Percy said, flicking the torch back and forth. “Just take it.”

“Fine, fine…” Vesti grabbed the torch and began looking around the room.

Investigation: Reede’s Home
Examine:
Extravagant Bed, Other Beds, Bookcase.
Talk:
Percy
About Reede
Move:
Present:
To Percy
What will you do?

Shy guy

Bookcase bookcase bookcase bookcase

Also yay it's back!

Gettin' Old!

Jump on the bed! Test the limits of it's comfort!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

ASCEND

Spoiler: Do you feel left behind, like there’s something not right?
I’m walking down the line

Examine: Bookcase

First, Vesti examined the bookcase near the extravagant bed. It featured two shelves roughly carved out of a log. Vesti raised his torch to get a better look at the books it held.

“Mr. Gates, please be careful not to drop your torch on that flammable parchment.”

“Oh, calm down, Percy. You wouldn’t have given me this thing if you didn’t trust me with it,” Vesti sighed. He reached out and thumbed through the books.

The shelves were mostly stocked with small leatherbound journals filled with childish drawings and writings. The more professional-looking tomes were obviously stories for children. Vesti discovered that one book in particular was resting atop the lineup of stories, as if it had been haphazardly placed atop the pile. Vesti held it up to the light and squinted at the cover. It appeared to depict a young man and several robots on a field preparing to face off against a monstrous stream of darkness.

“Do you have any idea what this is?” Vesti asked.

Percy glanced over Vesti’s shoulder as he flipped through page after page of illustrations, each accompanied with poetic text. “Oh, this is an old legend from Hyrule. It’s about how a great beast was vanquished an extremely long time ago…They seem to have adapted the tale for children.”

“I see. Then that probably means it’s not relevant, even if someone was reading it recently,” Vesti said.

“Wait! Stop there,” Percy reached out and blocked Vesti’s hand as he reached for the next page. “Turn back one.”

“Uhh, alright.”

Vesti turned to the last page, which depicted a large illustration of two silhouettes on a plain. He had dismissed it as just part of the book earlier, but he quickly noticed what Percy had.

“Wait…this drawing is covering up the text. It’s not part of the book; it was drawn on top of it!”

“Exactly,” Percy replied, “Not to mention this illustration is too crude to be part of the book. It looks to have been scribbled on the page with a single stick of charcoal.”

“What is this anyway!” Vesti asked, staring dumbfounded at the two drawings on the page. “It’s clearly two figures, but I don’t know who either of them are. The one on the left doesn’t even look human!”

“I have a feeling we’ll understand this image quite well by the time this case is resolved,” Percy replied, “Hold onto it for now.”

“You’re right. But still…” Vesti mumbled, “There’s just something about it that…creeps me out. Who even drew this thing?” Vesti shook his head and placed the book back back on top of the shelf. Pulling out his notepad, he tore out a slip of paper and slipped it between the pages to mark the drawing’s location, then he finally slammed it shut.

{Storybook & Picture added to Evidence}

Examine: Extravagant Bed

“Alright, such an interesting find deserves a bit of a break,” Vesti said, “Let’s check out this bed!”

Vesti stood beside the bed, admiring it. The mattress was truly massive, covered with thick wool bedsheets and overshadowed by pink curtains hanging from a wooden frame.

“That bed obviously belongs to Reede’s daughter,” Percy remarked, “She must have been somewhat pampered. It’s obviously of a higher quality than those of her parents.”

“This is even better than the bed in my apartment!” Vesti shouted, “Hold my torch for a second, Percy. I’m gonna give it a thorough investigation!”

“Are you even paying attention to how creepy you sound right now?” Percy asked, “Just get back to work. I doubt there’s anything important in that bed.”

“Better safe than sorry!” Vesti replied.

Vesti reached forward and threw back the covers of the bed. However, to his surprise, the bed turned out to be occupied already. A small girl lay shivering on it, several small objects clutched in her hands.

“Wh-What?”

“AAAAHH! Get away from me!” The girl screamed, launching from the bed. The wooden knick-knacks she was clutching in her hands fell to the floor with a clatter. Vesti dodged out of the way as the girl ran toward the door, slamming straight into Percy’s leg. The two cried out in pain, and the prosecutor stumbled forward, his torch slipping from his head and landing behind Vesti. A rush of warm air stroked the back of his neck as the floor of the house burst into flames!

“OH SH--sh…shucks!” Percy shouted.

“Hey, where’d that girl go?” Vesti cried, raising his own torch high as the flames climbed higher.

“She went outside,” Percy replied, “I’ll go after her. You contain the fire!”

“Wha--How am I supposed to do that?” Vesti asked. Unfortunately, Percy charged straight out of the room.

Vesti sighed in exasperation. Feeling an uncomfortable level of heat on his foot, Vesti quickly stepped away from the fire. Looking at the floor, Vesti noticed that whatever wooden toys the girl had been holding onto were being quickly lost to the fire. Vesti kicked one of the small wooden objects into the corner of the room, out of the flames’ reach. “Ugh, why does everything in this village have to be so flammable?!”

The fire was starting to inch closer to the bookcase, where possibly vital drawing was resting. Vesti’s head spun around the room. He had to find a way to put out the blaze!

What should Vesti use to stop the fire?
Bookcase, Wooden Toy, Cabinet, Bed, Well (Outside), Vesti (Self-Sacrifice)

Shy guy

Thank yooooou Reede!

Throw the woollen blanket over the fire. Should be flame resistant.

Gettin' Old!

Ooof glad I didn't test the comfort by jumping on it now.

TO THE WELL!
Made by Chesu+Zombee

ASCEND

Spoiler: Happy Hanukkah
That divides me somewhere in my mind

Examine: Bed

Reasoning that there was no way he could make it to the well outside and back before the house burned to the ground, Vesti instead reached for the closest object to him: the bed. Picking up the thick wool blanket, he stepped toward the fire and raised it in the air.

“I really hope this thing’s as flame resistant as I think it is!” he cried.

Vesti threw the blanket over the fire. Within a second, the inferno was gone, as if it were pressed flat against the floor. The only speck of it that remained was a pathetically small blaze near the bookcase, which Vesti quickly stomped out with his foot.

With the fire out, darkness fell upon the house again. Vesti cautiously pulled back the blanket. Sure enough, only scorch marks and a few stray embers could be found beneath it.

Vesti put the blanket back down and stood up. He immediately started coughing, choking on the smoke gathered just below the ceiling. He stumbled toward the door and held it wide open to drive the smoke out of the house. Looking outside, Vesti spotted Percy heading toward the entrance. He was pulling a small child with short brown hair along by the hand.

“Looks like you dealt with that fire swiftly.”

“Yep, and the evidence is fine…mostly. Just a little…musty now…” Vesti’s strained words devolved into another coughing fit.

“Hmm. I’m somewhat impressed actually,” Percy replied, “As for me, I managed to track down the girl and calm her down a little.” He looked down at the child. “Would you like to introduce yourself to the detective?”

“Uhh…” Her voice was faint, uncertain, and scared. “I’m…K-Karin.”

“Hello, my name’s Vesti. It’s good to finally meet you.”

“Is he…” Karin mumbled, looking up at Percy. “Is he hunting the monster that attacked Papa?”

“Yes, that’s right,” Percy softly replied, “But he needs your help to track it down…Can you wait by the entrance and answer some questions for us? Once we’ve finished up here, we’ll take you right back to your mother.”

“Alright…I understand.”

Percy smiled gently at the girl and led her to the doorway. He dropped her hand and continued inside, leaving her standing at the entrance with one hand resting against the door frame, staring down at the floor.

As Percy entered, he leaned close to Vesti and whispered, “I hope I don’t need to remind you that this is a delicate matter. I don’t think she understands what happened to Reede yet…so please be careful what you say.”

Vesti sighed. “I know, Percy…I’ve had to deal with situations like this numerous times. It never gets easier…but I know how to handle it.”

“I’m only reminding you to be careful,” Percy said grimly. “You may not even realize you’re making the wrong move until it’s too late…and that’s how you end up with people like me.”

“…Wh-What?”

Percy ignored Vesti’s outburst and continued into the room. Holding his torch high, he said, “We should be able to gain even more information now with Karin here to help us. Don’t let this opportunity go to waste.”

Vesti turned around and looked back at Karin. She seemed nervous, but not by the contents of the house. The child instead stared deep into the heart of the forest, seemingly contemplating what lurked there.

Examine:
Bookcase, Windows, Cabinet, Singed Wooden Toy, Beneath Blanket.
Talk:
Percy
About Reede
About Karin
Karin
Your Father
Move:
Present:
To Percy
To Karin
What will you do?

Shy guy

Huuuh, since when was Percy so good at handling kids?

Examine the singed wooden toy!

Gettin' Old!

Ask Karin tactfully about her dad.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

ASCEND

Spoiler:
Asphoxia wrote:
Talk: Karin -> Your Father
Talk: Karin -> the Kirby series

OshaliteX2 wrote:
Talk to Percy about Karin and ask her favorite color.

Talk: Karin: Your Favorite Color

Despite the suspicious nature of Percy’s warning, Vesti decided that he should keep it in mind and ease into the more stressful interrogation topics. He approached the child, knelt closer to her eye level, and asked, “So, Karin…what’s your favorite color?”

Percy flashed him a look, but Vesti ignored it.

“Hmm…” Karin mumbled, looking at the floor. “That’s kind of a weird question. Are you sure it’s gonna help you catch the monster?”

“Oh, well most likely not,” Vesti replied, “But you can never be certain! And anyway, I need to forge a bond of understanding with you. That way it will be easier for us to work together!”

“Okay…that doesn’t really make any sense,” Karin said, “But I guess my favorite color is, err…I’m not really sure how to describe it. I guess…deep purple, with a little orange. And a bunch of white dots scattered through it.”

“Wow, that’s an interesting answer! Why is that?”

“Well, Dad used to take me and Mom up to the top of a hill to watch the sunset,” Karin answered, “Right as it was sinking below the mountains, the sky would turn purple, but you could still see the stars shining through. All of that blending together…that’s the most beautiful color I’ve ever seen.”

Vesti smiled, “Those sound like great memories.”

“They are,” Karin said, nodding. “It was a little scary having to walk to the hilltop and back down in the dark, but my mom and dad were always there to protect me…I…I hope I’ll still be able to go see the sunset…even now.”

“I’m certain that you will.”

“Every time I do…I guess I’ll think about my dad…”

Vesti was glad to see that Karin was a little calmer after reminiscing about her father, so he decided it was time to start asking the tougher questions.

Talk: Karin: Your Father

“So, Karin…” Vesti began cautiously, “What can you tell me about your father?”

“Well…he was really brave,” Karin replied firmly, “He’s super strong and smart too. He worked in the fields to keep us fed everyday, even though he also had to lead the whole town. Everyone liked him!”

“It sounds like the two of you got along well too,” Vesti remarked.

“Of course! He always protected me. That’s why he went off to face the monster last night. I…I think it was threatening me.” Karin’s face turned pale, and a chill ran down her spine.

“Wait, what?!” Vesti shouted, “This happened ‘last night’…Can you tell me more? Where did he go to fight it?!”

Karin recoiled in shock. She wrapped her arms around her chest and looked at the floor. “Uhh…j-just outside somewhere. I don’t know…I d-don’t want to talk about it.”

“Vesti!”

The detective’s head snapped to the source of the voice: Percy glaring at him with the clear instruction to back off.

“Err…Alright, that’s fine,” Vesti replied, “Is there anything else you can think of that might be useful?”

“No, I don’t think so. But I don’t really remember. I just spent the whole night trying to sleep. I…I didn’t know what was happening…”

“Well, thank you anyway. I’ll let you know if I have any more questions, okay?”

(It sounds like she might know something, but I can’t press her too hard. Perhaps I can draw out the information later…assuming she has any information at all.)

Examine: Singed Wooden Toy

Vesti headed to the corner of the room and picked up the small wooden object he’d kicked out of the fire. Though charred black at one end, most of it remained intact. It appeared to be a short, round and hollow rod with holes at both ends. The uncharred tip was slightly smaller, as if it was meant to be inserted somewhere. With all of the other pieces burned in the fire, it was nearly impossible to tell what they were all meant to be used for.

Vesti turned around and knelt next to Karin, holding out the burned toy. “I saw you holding several of these wooden objects earlier. Can you tell me what they are?”

Karin stared at it for a moment and then shook her head somberly. “I don’t know. I just…found them.”

“You ‘found’ them? Where?” Vesti asked.

“Uhh…” Karin trailed off and remained conspicuously silent. She seemed to avoid looking at the wooden piece.

Vesti’s brow furrowed in suspicion. Eventually, he chose to change the question. “The other objects were burned up in the fire. Do you recall what they looked like?”

“Oh, yeah, I guess,” Karin answered, “They looked pretty much the same as the one you have in your hand. Just a little smaller or bigger. And less black on one side.”

“Interesting. Thanks, Karin.”

Vesti stared at the burned toy for a moment and then shoved it in his pocket.

(I have no idea what relevance these could have…but Karin’s reaction was definitely strange. It might be worth keeping in mind.)

{Wooden Toy added to Evidence}

Talk: Karin: Kirby Series

“Hey, Karin!” Vesti whirled back around. “What’s your opinion of the Kirby series?”

“Huh?” Karin replied, “What are you talking about?”

Percy’s annoyed voice inexorably rang out. “Vesti, what on Earth are you trying to accomplish?”

“I’m just trying to lighten the mood a bit!” Vesti said, “See, the Kirby series are these really fun games about a little pink blob that wanders through beautiful meadows devouring everything in its path. My nephew told me about them!”

“S-Sounds scary,” Karin said, looking to be on the verge of tears. “Is that the monster that attacked my daddy?”

“Wh-What? No!” Vesti cried desperately, “Kirby’s not even a monster at all!”

Vesti’s panicked shout caused Karin to recoil in shock.

“Mr. Gates, you buffoon!” Percy shouted, “Can’t you see you’re frightening her?!”

“Come on, Percy! Surely you agree with me!” Vesti replied, “It’s not scary at all!”

Percy walked over to Karin and crouched beside her. “Look, don’t worry about him. He doesn’t know what he’s talking about. Just take a few deep breaths to calm down.”

“D-Deep breaths? Oh, okay…” Karin mumbled. Percy waited next to the child until she calmed down again. She turned to the prosecutor and smiled. “Thanks, mister. I feel a bit better now…”

“Don’t mention it. I’ll make sure he doesn’t upset you again.”

Vesti let out a sigh of dismay, aghast at how quickly and completely that had gone wrong.

Talk: Percy: About Karin

As Percy stood back up, Vesti walked closer to him, eager to change the subject. “I’m honestly a little surprised, Percy.”

“About what?” Percy raised an eye skeptically.

“You seem to know exactly what to say to Karin. You even managed to bring her back in after she ran off,” Vesti said, “I didn’t expect you to be that good with kids. Don’t tell me you actually have children!”

“Lord, no,” Percy replied, pressing a hand against his forehead. “Look, I just know children need to be treated with a special modicum of care during criminal investigations. They simply aren’t prepared to deal with the emotions brought by such crimes yet. Besides…I find myself able to relate to Karin in particular.”

“Wait,” Vesti said, a look of concern covering his face. “Have you been in a similar situation yourself?”

“Do you really think that’s any of your business?” Percy asked, glowering.

“Well…I suppose not,” Vesti replied, “Sorry, I didn’t mean to intrude. It’s just my job to ask too many questions.”

The house fell silent. Vesti could hear only the gentle wind outside. Percy turned to the side and looked down at Karin, who was quietly gazing at one of the drawings on the wall.

“…It was my father.” Percy mumbled.

“Huh?”

“I wasn’t a child when it happened,” Percy explained, “But I was still too young. They still haven’t found the killer, even after all this time…I’m honestly surprised you haven’t heard of it. The papers certainly did.”

“Wait wait wait,” Vesti stammered, the color fading from his face. “Y-You mean…the Graham Manor Ghost?”

Percy said absolutely nothing. It was all Vesti needed to hear.

“God, I’m so sorry.”

“It doesn’t matter,” Percy snapped, “If you want to make me feel better, catch that clansman and keep him from tearing apart any more families.”

A few moments later, the two wordlessly returned to the investigation. Vesti tried to ignore the details of Percy’s past he’d learned. He knew it was completely irrelevant to the case at hand, but he had a feeling that it wouldn’t be the last he heard of it.

Examine:
Bookcase, Windows, Cabinet, Beneath Blanket.
Talk:
Percy
About Reede
About Karin
Karin
Your Father
Move:
Present:
To Percy
To Karin
What will you do?

Shy guy

Examine what's under the blanket, and the bookcase while we're at it.

Gettin' Old!

Kudos in swivelling the standard procedure colour question into something nice!

A-Ask Percy about the Kirby Series...

Or about Reede.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

ASCEND

Spoiler: The resurrection ain’t the only miracle happenin’ this Easter
Dimitri wrote:
Pull out your badge and give it a few gentle, loving strokes, whispering to it your frustrations over how these two simply don't appreciate the Kirby series. Your badge will understand. It always does. Your badge will he happy to support you.

OshaliteX2 wrote:
Talk about Reede, and then examine the windows. Did we already examine the windows? Eh.

emperortoad wrote:
Examine the windows. Don't do anything before, just examine the windows as soon as you can.

Vesti just sorta checked out for a little while, staring at the wall in a daze.

“Uhh, Vesti?” Percy said, “You seem pretty out of it. Did you get enough sleep last night?”

“Huh?” Vesti said, flinching slightly. “Oh! Uhh, no! I’m fine! I just got caught up thinking about my home, wondering if I’ll get to go back like last time. We still haven’t seen any sign of the dude in white with the weird hair!”

“This again? Vesti, I’m not convinced this man is real. Have you checked with your psychologist recently?”

“Whatever,” Vesti sighed, “Let’s get back to investigating.”

Examine: Windows

Vesti approached the front door and examined the two windows flanking it. However, there wasn’t much to see. Both of the glass windows were covered almost entirely by long red banners. Vesti remembered seeing them from the outside when he first entered the cabin. The symbols black symbols covering them had caught his attention.

“Karin?” He said, “What’s up with these windows? Why do they have big banners over them?”

Karin gazed up at them for a moment.

“Oh, Papa put them up. They’re supposed to ward off scary things and keep me safe.”

“Really?” Percy interjected, glancing over from where he stood by the bed. “Is there any particular reason your father would have been worried about your safety?”

“Well, sometimes I feel bad, and I can’t go out and play with the kids anymore…” Karin replied sadly. “So that makes my parents really worried. But that’s been going on for a while. He only put those up pretty recently.”

“I guess he just decided to give it a shot and see if they’d help,” Vesti said, “Still, it must make the place feel pretty gloomy…”

Vesti leaned over and stared through the closest window.

“I mean, I can barely see a thing through here. No wonder it’s so dark…I bet it’s even worse at night.”

Indeed, the banners were so large that they only let in a sliver of light on the left and right edges of the window. There was a little more space at the bottom of the window, but it only afforded a view of the ground directly outside. Strangely enough, anything that qualified as a sight was hidden from view, including the beautiful flowerbeds.

“It’s okay,” Karin replied, “As long as they keep me safe, I don’t mind.”

“Yeah, I guess. Still, it’s a little strange,” Vesti mumbled, “Might be worth keeping in mind for later.”

{Spirit Windows added to Evidence}

Talk: Percy: About Reede

“Percy, what do you think about the vic--, er…Karin’s dad,” Vesti asked, “I mean, as a person. Did you learn anything interesting about him during your investigation?”

“Not particularly,” Percy replied, “And my answer would be exactly the same outside this house. By all accounts he was a good person. Always working hard on the crops in addition to leading the town…And he clearly cared a lot about his family. From what I’ve heard he was extremely welcoming to outsiders too.”

“Too bad we didn’t arrive a little earlier then, huh?”

“I suppose so. Though it’s an even bigger shame that he’s gone.”

“Do you know why anybody would want to, you know…” Vesti glanced worriedly at Karin.

“I know as much as you on that front, I’m afraid,” Percy explained, “I doubt anybody from the town would have had reason to harm him, unless something was going on in the background. However, being the town’s head, he obviously would have been a target for the Yiga.”

“So you think the Yiga Clan was behind everything?” Vesti asked.

“I can’t say with certainty, but most likely. The real question is whether this was a solitary plan by one clansmen or part of a large, organized plot.”

“There’s also the question of who the clansmen is.”

“Well, of course,” Percy said, “ But let’s be honest…it’s absolutely the salesman. That fellow’s completely insane.”

Examine: Bookcase

Vesti decided to check on the bookcase once again, now that it had nearly burned to the ground. Fortunately, he found it in pretty good condition. Some of the journals on the bottom were lightly singed, but everything should still be readable.

He was particularly interested in the children’s book resting atop the pile though. Picking it up, he flipped to the page he had marked earlier. Sure enough, the mysterious drawing was still in perfect condition.

Turning to Karin, Vesti asked, “So, are these books all yours?”

“Pretty much,” Karin replied, “Well, Mama bought them for me. She tries to keep the shelves well-stocked. That way I have something to do when I’m stuck here. The journals are just for me to write about my day in though.”

“I see,” Vesti held up the children’s book. “What about this one?”

“That’s one Mama got me a while ago,” Karin replied, “It’s one of my favorites. Papa would read it to me a lot. He was always so excited every time. I think he liked it too…”

“That’s sweet. Those must be good memories,” Vesti turned back to the page with the drawing and held it up. “What about this page? Was it always like this?”

Karin flinched at the sight of the drawing. She looked down at the floor.

“Umm…I don’t want to talk about that.”

“What?” Vesti cried, “Why not? Did you draw this?”

Karin closed her eyes and whimpered. It didn’t seem like she was going to answer.

“Vesti…” Percy said, “Just leave her alone. I doubt that drawing is even relevant.”

“Alright, yeah. I guess you’re right. Sorry, Karin.” Vesti put the storybook back morosely.

Examine: Beneath Blanket

Vesti stepped to the center of the room where the blanket lay on the floor. He grabbed it by the corners and pulled it off with the flourish of a magician. A cloud of soot leapt into the air as the floor beneath was revealed.

The boards had been scorched a deep black, and a small hole burrowed its way to the grass below. The torch that caused the blaze was twisted and unrecognizable. Several other charred lumps were scattered nearby, likely the remains of Karin’s toy.

“Well, if there was any evidence down there, it’s gone for good now,” Vesti said, looking pointedly at Percy.

“Don’t glare at me like that,” Percy narrowed his eyes. “That was hardly my fault.”

Karin stared glumly at the floor.

“I guess I crashed into you, didn’t I?” she asked, “That wasn’t very nice. I’m sorry.”

“Err…Actually, there’s nothing for you to apologize for,” Percy said, “I’m the one who dropped the torch. Besides, thanks to Vesti’s quick thinking, the flames were controlled as best as they could have been.”

“Oh yeah!” Vesti smiled, “I did that!”

“Yes, it was very impressive, detective, so don’t ruin it by making a fool of yourself,” Percy said, “In any case, I don’t believe we have to worry about evidence being lost. If there was anything in the center of the room before the fire, I would have noticed it.”

“That’s a relief,” Karin mumbled, “You should have no trouble tracking down the monster then, right?”

“Of course. You don’t have to worry about that.”

Talk: Percy: Kirby series

Vesti walked up to Percy and began whispering to him.

“Alright Percy, come on. The Kirby series. You know it’s not scary at all, right?”

“Vesti, are you insane?” Percy said, stepping backwards. “Why are you bringing this up again? You saw how frightened it made her!”

“Only because you didn’t set the record straight!”

“Have you ever even played a Kirby game?” Percy asked.

“Uhh…Well, no.”

“Then you obviously have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Bu--But it’s just some cute game about a puffball. What could possibly be frightening about it?”

“Well, for starters, the main character’s pretty much a psychopath.”

“What--”

“Not to mention it’s existentially dreadful. Lots of creatures die for no real reason.”

“Oh come on--”

“And there’s that part where someone’s eye gets violently torn out.”

Vesti, struck silent, stared at Percy in shock and concern.

“Well…okay, then,” He eventually mumbled, “Geez, should a kid really be playing something like that? Maybe I should warn my brother next time we get together.”

“Oh, I’m sure your nephew will be fine,” Percy replied, “Your family reunions are probably terrifying enough.”

“Geez, that was uncalled for,” Vesti said, crossing his arms. “Not exactly untrue though…Honestly, I feel like you’d fit in great with the rest of us. You don’t happen to have any unwed siblings, do you?”

“No, I’m afraid not. Why on Earth are you asking?”

“That’s a shame.” Vesti elucidated, “I was hoping you could join us sometime.”

“Don’t you have a job to be doing?”

(He has a point. Why am I even talking about this again? I think I’m still missing a piece of evidence here…)

Examine:
Cabinet.
Talk:
Percy
About Reede
About Karin
Karin
Your Father
Move:
Present:
To Percy
To Karin
What will you do?

Shy guy

I think perhaps I might maybe examine the cabinet.
Page 21 of 22 [ 880 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus