Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 1 of 2[ 46 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Scooby-Doo, Starring You! — Sign Up ThreadTopic%20Title

ASCEND

Welcome to the sign-up thread for Scooby Doo, Starring You!, a forum game based on the classic children’s mystery franchise.

Spoiler: Plot Premise
The gang wins exclusive tickets to a concert at the grand opening of a new amusement park, but thrills turn to chills when monsters go after the band! Can the gang solve this mystery before their horrifying encore?

While the story is based on Scooby Doo, the gameplay is an unholy amalgamation of mafia, Colt Express (a train robbery board game), and Disney’s Guilty Party (a video game for the Wii). It will be a short, fun, and light-hearted forum game with a focus on comedic, ACTION-PACKED roleplaying.

Spoiler: Fast Facts
- There are two FACTions: Heroes and Villains. It’s up to the heroes to collect evidence and get to the bottom of the mystery. Villains will attempt to use their special powers to stop them.
- There are two types of characters: Canon Characters and Original Characters. Canon characters are the members of Scooby’s gang. They each have a special power unique to them. Original Characters lack such a power, but they are designed entirely by their player. Will you put your own spin on a classic character or play one of your own creation?
- There are two phases: Split Up phases and Talk it Out phases. Split Up phases make up most of the gameplay. Participants will submit a number of rounds worth of actions and we’ll go through the results on the game board. Players will get the chance to act out some actions through short, free-form RP. During the Talk it Out phase, players can discuss their results and attempt to unmask a monster.
- You act in the Split Up phase by playing cards. There are two types of cards: Movement Cards and Action Cards. Obviously, Movement cards move you around the game board, while Action cards affect other players or the room you’re in. These are played in pairs. Monsters have special actions cards that can harm players.
- There are two important stats: Fear and Courage. Fear is how scared the group is. Courage is how much fear your character can stand. If the Fear level is ever higher than your character’s Courage, you’re out the game!
- Random chance is a huge factor. The cards you get each turn are random. Even if you draw the actions you need, your plans could get ruined by the actions of the monster or other players.
- This lends the game an element of chaos. This should lead to some funny things happening, but don’t expect all of your moves to go perfectly.

This game is unique in its inclusion of canon characters. People who play one are encouraged to put their own spin on their character as long as they remain recognizable and appropriate. A good rule of thumb: you can make Shaggy a martial arts expert, but you can’t make him a drug addict.

Of course, original characters won’t get that opportunity, but you do get to create every facet of the character yourself. Since all these characters should know each other, you can work with fellow players to design them.

If you’re interested, sign up below and agree to the MAMA-DOO. Then fill out this survey right here so that I can assign roles accordingly.

Spoiler: MAMA-DOO
1. Don’t be inactive.
2. If you have to be inactive for some reason, let me know so that I can accommodate.
3. Be respectful towards other players. Don’t be a jerk.
4. Don’t use meta means of communicating private information such as screenshots, PMs, and smoke signals. Be sportsmanlike.
5. Don’t be spiteful if something bad happens to you. Characters may do rude things to you, or all of your plans may get foiled. That’s part of the fun of the game, and everyone’s here to have fun.
6. Try your best to win, no matter how hopeless it may be. Never act wittingly in contradiction with your objective.
7. Keep things kid-friendly and be respectful of the source material. Don’t play a canon character just to make fun of them.
8. Don’t die in the game. If your character dies, you’ll be banned from posting for the rest of the game.

Spoiler: Nitty-Gritty Gameplay
Split Up Phases:

These are the most gameplay-heavy portions of the game. This section takes place entirely on a game board depicting the amusement park. Players will move around the board, interacting with the monsters and one another. Their positions will remain the same before and after the Talk it Out phases.

How this actually happens may take a few phases to get right. It also may depend on how many players I get. The current plan is to have everyone play one Movement and Action card and then reveal the results, but I might add more rounds if it doesn’t make submitting actions a hassle. I want these phases to be quick, but fun.

An overview of the types of cards and what they do is below.

Movement Cards:
Run for It! (Horizontal): Move 1 space east or west on the map.
Run for It! (vertical) Move 1 space north or south on the map.
Scooby Dooby Doors: Teleport to any other room on the board.
Trapdoor: Send any other player to the room you’re in.

Action Cards:
Set a Trap: Lay a trap for another player, blocking their action for the round.
Raise Morale: Raise the Courage of any one in the room with you.
Look for Clues: Grab a piece of evidence in the room you’re in.
Be the Bait: Redirect a monster action onto you. Monster actions that target multiple people will be treated as if only you are in the target range.
Scooby Snack: Throw a Scooby Snack into an adjacent room, luring a target there.

Monsters also get their own special Monster Action cards. These are played independently from regular Actions, so the villains’ identities aren’t immediately obvious.

Once this phase is over, I’ll usually pick one or more events to have the players involved act out. These will be events where a lot of people are in one room using actions on each other, especially if a monster attack is involved. These could be chase scenes, fight scenes against the monster, or an in-depth discussion of why Fred just caught Scooby in a cage and immediately fell in a trapdoor.

Talk it Out Phases:

During this phase, you may discuss the events of the last Split Up phase, develop your strategy, and theorize about the identity of the monsters. You may also enjoy free-form RP, if you wish. If someone’s Fear ends up exceeding their Courage, they will use this phase to bid their goodbyes before fleeing.

At any point in a Talk it Out phase, you may attempt to identify a monster. There are two ways to do this: Accuse: If you collect enough evidence to prove someone is a monster, you may Accuse them. The suspect will ask you to present your evidence. Get it right, and they are identified. Get it wrong, and you fail and must wait until the next round to try again. The amount of evidence needed to accuse depends on the amount of players. It will be at least four.
Unmask: If you believe someone is guilty but lack the evidence, you may attempt to Unmask them. Unmasking is a dangerous action that can only be performed ONCE against a given monster and requires less evidence. If you attempt to Unmask someone who’s not a monster, you fail and your character leaves the game in shame.

If you successfully identify a monster, they lose. However, they are allowed to continue posting in the Talk it Out phases.

Evidence:

All characters in this game will be classified by their physical appearance using several categories such as Height (tall or short) and Weight (skinny or broad). I haven’t figured these all out yet, but having a player count should make it easier.

Evidence you collect will implicate not specific characters, but specific body types. No characters will have the same combination of these body types, so the more evidence you collect, the more suspects you narrow down.

This does mean you won’t get complete freedom in designing your character’s appearance, but you won’t be restricted in anything else.

Spoiler: FAQs
When will the game start?
I’m not sure. I still have to make the map of the game board, but it’s size will depend on the amount of people playing. Once sign-ups are over I’ll probably give a definitive answer.

When will the game end?
The game will end when all the monsters are caught or when all the heroes skedaddle. As for when that will be, I’m not sure. It could be about two weeks, or it could be more. I can’t imagine it taking longer than a month though.

Will the game be story or gameplay focused?
The game will be heavily gameplay focused, but not to the extent of Black Fable. Still, you probably won’t get a lot of freedom to have deep, intellectual character arcs. But it’s a Scooby Doo game, so what did you expect?

What’s the ratio of canon characters to original characters?
It depends on the number of sign-ups. I’m hoping for more original characters than canon ones. If the player count is too small, some members of Scooby’s gang may have to sit this one out.

How kid-friendly should the game be?
Don’t do anything that you wouldn’t expect to see in an episode of Mystery Inc. I’m gonna err on the side of leniency here, so let me know if you have an idea but you’re not sure if it’s appropriate.

Why are you running this instead of working on Nonary Game X?
Because I want to get some practice running a game on my own before I start that gargantuan undertaking. Also because this game will be way better anyway.

How can Shaggy eat so much but stay so lean?
I wish I could tell you.

I have no idea how this game will go or how balanced it will be. The main reason I’m running it is because people keep joking about it. In any case, I’m sure it will be a unique experience.

I’m hoping for at least ten sign-ups but we’ll see how high the interest is. I’ll give it two days or so. Once I’ve got all the players I’ll announce who the canon characters are, and the “prompt” for original characters.

Until then, scooby dooby doo!

Cast:

Spoiler: Canon Characters
1. WinterCoat
2. Lone
3. Joker
4. Collin1002
5. Winston Payne

Spoiler: Original Characters
1. Kachu
2. Slezak (Roadie)
3. KamiPanda
4. Southern Corn (Bassist)
5. DootDootDoot (Manager)
6. Datamatt (Reporter/Journalist)
7. Mujō.Samairu
8. UkuleleLady (Sound Technician)
9. Franzise Deauxnim
10. Doctor Nanjo (Suspicious Person)
11. TheLetterF (LUTANIST/vocalist)
12. CaptainPancakes

Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Last edited by Planetbox on Fri Aug 07, 2020 8:10 pm, edited 20 times in total.
Re: Scooby Doo, Starring You! — Sign Up ThreadTopic%20Title

AAUUUGH I HAVE TO BE SOMEWHERE AND I'M LAAAATE

I agree to the MAMA-DOO. I'd love to be part of this!

Last edited by UkuleleLady on Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"YOU NINCOMPOOP!!"

I agree to the MAMA-DOO!! Looking forward to this!!
*coughs awkwardly*

If there turn out to be more people signing up than you have room for, PB, I'd feel bad taking up a slot because I'm really interested in a game like this but not personally a big Scooby-Doo fan. So if you need to kick someone to make room, I'll volunteer to be kicked.

Sock

Agreeing to that MAMA.

This sounds like a fun hell to explore. I'm all for it. Good luck running it too!

fella

I agree to the MAMA-DOO. Sounds like this'll be fun!

ASCEND

UkuleleLady wrote:
If there turn out to be more people signing up than you have room for, PB, I'd feel bad taking up a slot because I'm really interested in a game like this but not personally a big Scooby-Doo fan. So if you need to kick someone to make room, I'll volunteer to be kicked.

There's no upper limit to the players in this game. The more sign ups we have the more fun the game will be cause there will be room for more interesting roles. I might put a hard limit at like 20, but I doubt we'll reach that.
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Shy guy

Heck yeeeeeeah I'll join. I pledge allegiance to the great MAMA-DOO.

The American Dream

I agree to the MAMA-DOO and am very much interested.

mama-doo more like marmaduke except nobody remembers marmaduke

fella

WinterCoat wrote:

hey i remember marmaduke

The American Dream

Collin1002 wrote:
WinterCoat wrote:

hey i remember marmaduke

no you dont

Happy Maria

Survey sent, agreed to the MAMA-DOO (which is a glorious name by the way). Honestly super excited to see how this turns out!

fella

WinterCoat wrote:
Collin1002 wrote:
WinterCoat wrote:

hey i remember marmaduke

no you dont

yeah i SCOOBY DOOBY DOO remember it quit gaslighting me

The American Dream

Collin1002 wrote:

eat eggs.

fella

WinterCoat wrote:
Collin1002 wrote:

eat eggs.

i'll have an omelette. cheese, ham, and bacon, extra cheese

ASCEND

Gonna make two more notes

-I said this already on Discord because it might affect survey responses, so I'll say it again here. Original characters will be the band mentioned in the first post and people related to them. So sorta like in BF2 you can work together to figure out their roles and how things might be SPICY between them.

-Just a warning: I might make balance adjustments in the middle of the game if it seems like one side is at a huge disadvantage. It's hard to tell how balanced this game is since it's not been play-tested., so if you think something looks questionable, be sure to let me know during the game so I can decide if it needs to be changed.

No other way than to make this mistake.

IM IN BABY survey coming tomorrow bc im in bed also i agree to mama doo

Mama doo agreed to and survey sent I'd love to do a dumb lil joke here but I really gotta go do something rn

Rookie Killer

I agree to the mama-doo and I've sent in my survey. It sounds fun.

DootDootDoot wrote:
Mama doo agreed to and survey sent I'd love to do a dumb lil joke here but I really gotta go do something rn

Mama doo agreed too. I can't believe I didn't think of this earlier

Shy guy

Better nate than lever

Gettin' Old!

I'll sit this one out. I gotta get a lotta work done and this looks pretty intensive. Will be watching with interest though.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

The Real Human Being

What is this? A resurgence in roleplaying?
How am I supposed to complain about these forums dying if it comes back to life?

ASCEND

thx domaya

Anyway, unless someone really wants to play Scooby, I’ll probably delete him to make room for more OCs. He won’t be gone though. He’ll be like that dog in F4 where the mystery gang and I can control him, but he doesn’t participate in the Split Up phases. But that doesn’t mean we can’t use more SIGN UPS

Wibbly wobbly timey-wimey stuff

"Scooby-Doo, Starring You?"

Who knew you'd do? WOO-HOO!

I agree to the MAMA-DOO.

I'm about to do the survey . . . oo.
Thank you for reading. I hope you have a wonderful day.
100% pure Joy.
Excellent source of puns.
Refrigerate after opening.

i agree to MAMA-DOO.

busy, but this legitimately got my interest. so giving this a shot

ASCEND

Super excited to see all this interest. I’ll formally close sign-ups on the 6th at about 10 PM EST, though there should be room for an extra original character or two to join. I’ll give out roles then too.

Just a reminder that those who’ve signed up should fill out the survey! While it’s not strictly necessary it’ll help me give you a role you’re more satisfied with.

Last edited by Planetbox on Sun Jul 05, 2020 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Looking forward to this! My survey is sent and I agree to the MAMA-DOO!

Ya know what I'm going to join too, games like this don't happen often. Agreed to MAMA-DOO.

I agree to the Mama-Doo, dude!

I'm a terrible garbage person for not getting my F ending done yet but I still want to give this a shot

Mama-Dama-Doo me

agree to mama-doo mama-da

i'll sign up after all!!

ASCEND

Alright I didn’t expect to get this many sign-ups at all. Definitely hyped but also terrified but you know it’s good whatever.

I’m gonna tentatively close sign-ups here because I can’t fit any more people with how evidence works without repeating trait combinations. If anyone else wants to join I could maybe work something out but probably not. You can still sign up as a sub, of course.

ASCEND

Alright, here’s the cast assignments. It was a little anxiety-inducing to pick roles for everyone and some concessions had to be made, but I hope everyone will enjoy what they’ve been assigned.

Spoiler: Canon Characters
1. WinterCoat
2. Lone
3. Joker
4. Collin1002
5. Winston Payne

Spoiler: Original Characters
1. Kachu
2. Slezak
3. KamiPanda
4. Southern Corn
5. DootDootDoot
6. Datamatt
7. Mujō.Samairu
8. UkuleleLady
9. Franzise Deauxnim
10. Doctor Nanjo
11. TheLetterF
12. CaptainPancakes

For canon characters: check your QT to see who you’ll be playing. Remember, the point is to have fun, so don’t get caught up in making sure you play the character perfectly, and don’t be afraid to put a fun spin on them! You’ll also get a special QT if you want to bounce around ideas before the game or post memes.

For original characters: work together to fill out the band and their associates. You’ll be in charge of deciding the band’s name and what kind of music they play. Once you’ve got your character finalized, please fill out the form below and send it to me. It’s not strictly required, but I wanna see what y’all come up with!!

Spoiler: Original Character Form
Name:
Appearance (remember, this is partially assigned by me):
Occupation/Connection to Band:
Backstory:

Since there’s like a million people in this game you can also be an employee of the amusement park or relatives of the band if you want. Or something super crazy. Just let me know if you have any funky ideas.

Also I know this isn’t meant to be too serious but that doesn’t mean you should intentionally make a flat character. If all else fails, you can always just go for laughs.

Unless I blow it, the game should start by Friday (the 10th) morning. Until then I’ll be working on that map and finalizing monster cards. If anyone has graphic design skills and wants to help then let me know. Otherwise I’ll probably just make it in Paintbrush and it'll look kinda goofy,

Yes. It's all coming together.

I've already got an idea for my character form, but I'll take a little time to let it brew before I commit. For now, I'd like to call dibs on the sound technician!

Happy Maria

Okay very cool thank you PB I'm taking dibs on the bassist for now, will have further info later.

ASCEND

Also if you nerds are confused about appearance details here's some Guilty Party characters for reference.

The people on top are short and the people on the bottom are tall. Bottom-left, bottom-middle, and top-right are "broad." I think everyone in the picture has long hair.

Yes hello I am manager original role do not steal

I am calling dibs on the highly competitive position of lutenist, and my dude will also be providing some vocals, either secondary or lead if no one else wants to

No other way than to make this mistake.

Dibs on journalist/reporter
Page 1 of 2 [ 46 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus