Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 1 of 1[ 28 posts ]

Scooby-Doo, Starring You Post-Game SockhopTopic%20Title

ASCEND

Well, that was certainly a thing.

Thanks for playing Scooby-Doo, Starring You everyone! I’m glad so many people indulged in my ridiculous experiment. It was tons of fun putting together the updates and I enjoyed everyone’s characters. I also learned a lot that ought to be useful in future games I run.

I’d like to give special thanks to the monsters for coming up with some great designs, as well as to those playing the canon characters. I don’t think future games like this would need the mystery gang to show up and it might be better not to have them, but you guys still did a great job.

Additionally, I’d like to thank UkeleleLady for stepping in as a substitute for Deianira, and I’d also like to thank KamiPanda for providing a lot of game balance feedback before it was too late to change anything.

I know the game had some design issues and wasn’t paced very well, but I’m thankful to those who still held it together and tried to be active regardless. I hope someone runs a new game like this in the future and tries to work out some of the kinks, and I’ll be posting some general ideas for future GMs later on. I think there’s a lot of potential that, like in Black Fable, someone can hopefully make something even better out of.

Here’s the QTs, and then you can all begin with the GGs.

Spoiler: QT Dump

Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Last edited by Planetbox on Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Re: Scooby-Doo, Starring You Post-Game SockhopTopic%20Title

gg

Rookie Killer

gg

Congrats to Gamers for another great game! Some might even say "GG"!

I liked playing. I feel bad that it kinda went off the rails but it was still fun to participate in. I really appreciated Moe, he was cool, but there were a lot of funny moments.

fella

gg

The American Dream

That was fun. I definitely enjoyed 75% of the game. I have more specific thoughts I’ll post tomorrow, but good job PB. This was different and new and the fact that it was casual helped.

Two thumbs-up

Nice. It may have had issues but tbh this was a really nice game just by how casual and light it was. It had a lot of opportunities for characters and things you usually wouldn't bring to another game and was a lot of fun just from that. Best cast 10/10

im just angry at myself i blew both Edward and Edgar on a goddamn shitpost character and now i can't use either name again even though i really want to. fuck. worst game 0/10

Sock

Great game. Really. As we’ve all said, there’s some pacing and game balance issues but it didn’t stop me from having a friggin great time!

Pretty much loved all the characters here, and the band plot was kinda sweet. I think if we do something like a band again though we should really rein things in a little, though I know I was part of the problem with that because Moe was Moe. I did love him though.

Monsters had some dope designs. Kinda mad we don’t get ENDINGS unless you’re an evil criminal but also I’m not mad at all this is a joke.

I actually had some ideas for how another game would go but my brain isn’t very good at balancing things out. I think it’s interesting though even if it deviates from how this game went, look forward to it when I stop being a lazy bum which will probably take a while!

Really wanna reiterate that I had a great time despite the issues I’d love to play a game like this again.

ASCEND

If you want to write a real ending, I'll add it to the post after the epilogue. I just assumed no one would actually be interested, especially considering how many F7 has right now.

And yeah, I'd love to play in a game like this too, so I hope someone gives it a shot. If you're thinking about GMing one, you can talk to me for advice if you want.
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Sock

Planetbox wrote:
If you want to write a real ending, I'll add it to the post after the epilogue. I just assumed no one would actually be interested, especially considering how many F7 has right now.

And yeah, I'd love to play in a game like this too, so I hope someone gives it a shot. If you're thinking about GMing one, you can talk to me for advice if you want.

Yeah I’ll probably hit you up about it when I get further along in development.

Fair about endings too lol rip ever getting any more of those!

This was a breath of fresh air. Great effort, PB!

The whole cast was really fun. Every time a character was kicked from the game, I was genuinely sad to see them go. Moe, Ed, Gabby, and Blaze made me smile with pretty much every post. And everyone played off each other well.

The roleplaying seemed to die out well before it should have, which is a bummer, but I understand that the way this game was set up wasn't the easiest thing to RP with. Plus, the low story stakes meant it was harder to keep everyone's attention. But I think low stakes was an appropriate tone for a first run of a game that hadn't been play-tested. It took the harshness out of the balance issues we were bound to face. Or maybe that's just me because I kinda both won and lost the game, so I don't feel like I did either. More like I was just part of a fun story.

I also really liked subbing for Deianira. She had my favorite monster, which I unfortunately didn't accomplish anything with - but at least I got to try to give her a good send-off. I had a blast roleplaying her "I got caught" showdown.

GG, y'all.

(also, oh my god i just got that Ed was literally a shitpost character holy cow)

gg, and thanks for hosting pb.

despite only every being half aware of the rules or what was going on at any given time, this was the most fun i've had in an rp for well over a year (since F5).

it was just a breath of fresh air to play something different for a change, and rping scooby wound up also being interesting due to being an animal. i wasn't even going to join the rp at first due to being busy. but i gave the op a read just for the lols, and it seemed interesting enough. i got what i needed from this, in that it helped take my mind of things. so thank you everyone

with that said, the game definitely peaked for me around the middle, at the scrappy reveal and/or the deianara chase sequence. the events after weren't as good, so it really suffered from falling action syndrome. and even before, there were too many characters, and i wasn't really into many of them... until the skedaddling happened. with fewer characters, i felt the remaining ones finally had a chance to shine, and i wound up caring a lot more and getting more invested into the game as a result.

both issues could be rectified with a smaller base cast, and fewer monsters to capture. idk, just something any potential future games of this format could take into account.

i think that's all i really have to say. thanks pb for once again making me care... again. funny how pb rps keep doing that.

Shy guy

Thanks for hosting this, PB! As much as the mechanics were unpolished, conceptually it was all pretty fun. It's a solid basis for a game.

I do wish people had kept up with the RPing longer, though. Or at the very least, I'd rather no posts than dumb posts like we were getting at the very end, which personally sours the experience for me.

Special mentions to Pancakes for spontaneously creating the weird Dana/Blaze rivalry though, that was fun and added a lot. And of course I have to thank Franzise, we planned out a lot of stuff and it really helped elevate the experience.

Rookie Killer

Like others have said, the game was fun but had some problems near the end. I haven't played a lot of forum games but games running out of steam/dragging on near the end seems to be a common issue and certainly isn't unique to this game.

Overall, I don't think the game was too unbalanced but I think there were a couple of issues with some of the roles (which is to be expected since this was the first fg with this format).

My role was quite weak because it was based on a bad card and the difference it made was quite small. An idea that could fix it (if there's a future game with a similar role) is that instead of simply blocking monster attacks if they are in my room, it blocks monster attacks in a certain radius (e.g. 3x3 or 2x2) or it can only block one attack but that attack can be anywhere on the board (idk how you'd justify this rp wise though).

Another weak role was the saboteur. This was because their actions always affected themselves and therefore made the culprit quite obvious. A way to fix this (at least for one game) could be to give the saboteur a limited number of traps which they can place in the rooms they visit. However, the traps would only trigger if a person enters a trapped room in the next phase. This would allow the saboteur to leave the trapped room and their actions would be less obvious.

I enjoyed playing as Shaggy but I certainly wasn't as active as I was in BF2 and my performance as James was probably better.

Finally, I'd like to thank PB for running the game. Despite its flaws, it was still very fun.

KamiPanda wrote:
I do wish people had kept up with the RPing longer, though. Or at the very least, I'd rather no posts than dumb posts like we were getting at the very end, which personally sours the experience for me.

I get this. TBH, I thought and hoped things would be goofier? I guess I wanted to live out the cartoon life, but also we literally didn't get any serious discussion because it was too challenging for us with our characters. In retrospect I wish I had maybe played someone else.

Mechanically the game was pretty repetitive but also too complex? Like obviously it required a ton of maintenance for PB. I enjoyed playing it casually and having fun with it even if I didn't understand everything.

ASCEND

Here’s my thoughts for future GMs sorted in no particular order.

Spoiler: Extended Thoughts
—A lot of people talked about a smaller cast size, and I think that’s a good idea. This one was mostly so large because of the canon characters, and because I didn’t want to leave anyone out. If all of the cast was original that wouldn’t be a problem. I also think having an original Mystery Gang might be fun.

While it would stink to limit sign-ups for this kinda game, if they were made to happen more frequently (which a smaller cast would allow for) then everyone would get the chance to play eventually.

—The cards definitely need some work. I wanted the main five cards to be more or less on the same level of usefulness, but everyone was always trying to get Raise Morale or Search for Clues, and Be the Bait was awful. It might be better to make new cards than try to fix these five honestly.

The abilities were similar in how some were way worse based on which card was used for them, but even the good ones were pretty lame. One idea that came up near the end was that characters could get to play their ability card without having to draw it first. I think this could work, though who knows if abilities would even be a thing in a future game.

—I think minimizing the chance factor would be a good idea, especially if the cards were more balanced. One idea I liked was everyone having their own deck that didn’t get reset between turns, since this allows for more strategy while still ultimately being random. That would also be way easier for the GM to deal with then having to randomly deal cards out. Alternatively people could choose from a list of actions each turn, but the cards would have to be designed perfectly in this case.

—Pacing was bad yeah, but a smaller cast would help with that. Having a Split Up phase every day wasn’t that bad with less people, and having less monsters would keep the game from climaxing early.

—Balance between Heroes and Villains is probably the biggest issue here, and also fairly complicated since I’m not entirely sure which needs buffing. Having a smaller cast would make the Villains weaker in the early game, and making Villains’ attacks depend on their position would be a good quality of life change to give Heroes more to deduct from. However, Villains would need some substantial buffs to compensate.

I think allowing every Villain to raise Fear and letting them all know each other would help, especially with a smaller cast. Additionally they could have used a better deck of powers, since many of the Monster cards weren’t even touched.

Balancing Courage and Fear gains seems like the most difficult part of running a game like this, so maybe they should be thrown out. Giving Villains a more reliable way to take out Heroes would probably be the best way to do it, but if they were able to instantly eliminate people it’d be overpowered. I’m not sure what the solution is here, but maybe a “Health” system for each character would work better.

—I don’t know if a saboteur role would be needed in future games. If it was, I like Winston’s idea with the traps to make it a little harder to guess their identity. If not, well, those traps just sound really fun and cool, so maybe a monster could get them instead.

—I’m with some people here that I was hoping for more, goofier RPing. Future GMs should try to do a better job of facilitating that. I wanted to do that with the monster attacks and RPing the Split Up phases, but that would have made the pacing even worse.

It might help to add more to the Talk it Out phases. As it is now there was little reason to actually discuss who the monsters were because you were better off waiting for more evidence, and after getting it the answer was too obvious to merit discussion. I’m having trouble thinking of good solutions for this though. I don’t think characters should actually die in these games, though that could arguably address the problem.

—Going along with what I just said, I think the current Unmask and Accuse feature is kind of lame and pointlessly complicated. That would be a good place to start when adding more to the Talk it Out phases. Maybe a more traditional execution vote would work fine, or a modified version of that.

Thanks to PB for hosting this game! Although I wasn't around for too long, I did have a lot of fun.

I don't have too much to say about the game if I'm being honest. Like some others said I don't think the saboteur was really necessary not just saying that because he's the reason I went out. I also kind of found it hard to care about most of the OCs as well. I don't know too much about Scooby Doo but I feel like the Hex Girls or some other canon characters would've been nice to balance things out, so that way they wouldn't feel as overwhelming.

and uh that's it I guess

Thanks again PB!

The American Dream

Spoiler: Thoughts & Thots
Okay, so to start this off I'd like to say, again, that I enjoyed the game a bunch. I love Scooby-Doo and the relaxed, casual nature of the game appealed to me more than something like Black Fable. The gameplay was fun but, as we pretty much all agree, could use some work. I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing it, though, aside from either buffing abilities or getting rid of them entirely.

Btw, these points are just being written as I think of them, so things may appear disjointed.

My biggest gripe and point of confusion with the game, however, was the cast. First off, it should have been 11 people maximum. Second, and this may seem controversial, but I'm surprised I was expected to care about the OCs? I don't mean this in a condescending way, but I always, first and foremost, saw them as game pieces on the board. The fact that some characters had a backstory or motivation that went beyond what would be the standard in a normal episode of Scooby-Doo was just something I wasn't expecting nor was willing to even indulge in. Third, the OCs themselves just felt like they were trying too hard to be dysfunctional that it just took away from them as a group. Fourth (and this is a big one), if you wanted to have a Scooby-Doo game involving a band, why not include the Hex Girls and remove 3 OCs? It would have balanced the glaring OG vs OC ratio. I also feel like some of us may have had different ideas on what to expect from this game in terms of game vs. RP, which is where the RPing issue in the game's latter half comes up (I know I'm a guilty party (GET IT??) there but it's over now).

My final point-thingy is that the next game shouldn't involve Scooby-Doo at all. It's clear only like, two, maybe three people even care or know beyond-surface-level things about the franchise. If there's going to be an OC Mystery Gang, then that's fine, but just keep the canon characters away for the betterment of everyone.

To close out, thank you PB for running this. It was a fun experiment and I hope someone tries their hand at running another game like this (maybe the series could just be called "[x], Starring You" to differentiate it from the other forum games).

Oh, if we're discussing the OC characters, since WC and Joker have expressed concern with them, I guess I should too.

As said, at the beginning, I felt there were too many of them, and as a result I cared for very little of them.

Especially being a Scooby-Doo game, I wished the mystery gang were more front and center. Instead, these people I'd never seen before, nor had any emotional investment in were gobbling up the spotlight. Didn't help that the rest of the gang wasn't too active, barring Velma at the beginning and Daphne at the end (and i got my timezone too, which probably contributed to the problem).

I found myself wishing, that the OCs were separated into smaller categories too. WC's idea of say the spice hex girls would have worked. My struggle was that since everyone was part of one band, it was difficult to separate the OCs as all of them being part of a band meant less variance in background/context, something along those lines. Gabby was my favorite OC character at the first part of the game for this very reason, she stuck out and was very different than just "band member". Maybe if there were only 5-6 OC band members, and the other 5-6 could have been part of something else, it would have helped smoothen things out.

Although, I will reiterate that most of my issues with the OCs stopped once the skedaddling started. So if a future game has a smaller cast, then this will also no longer be an issue. Just had to throw my early-game feelings out there, since the topic had come up.

This was a good time, thanks PB

I guess I don't have much to add that hasn't already been said, the game certainly had balance issues but I appreciate the effort to adjust things along the way (and I wasn't too hung up on winning anyway, I tried of course but I think it's better for the narrative if the villains don't win?)

I do echo Panda's sentiments in that the inactivity and lack of real RP posts in the second half was pretty disappointing especially since this wasn't even that long a game so I don't get the burnout argument

I'm also of the opposite opinion about the OC characters; they're pretty much the only ones I cared anything about, mainly because the original cast was so inactive (although Velma had a good last post and Scooby did a couple things during the chase/fight scenes)

Special shoutout to Moe, didn't think I'd like him since he was just kind of a meme for most of the game but he grew on me once he started showing another side

also who tf are the Hex Girls

The American Dream

next game should be 10 characters

5 oc mystery gang

5 [whatever]

I think one of the issues is that the OG players had a lot of OCs to keep track of. It didn't feel like too much to me, but that's because I was one of the OC players and I was there to see all of them created, so I didn't have to learn who was who all at once at the start of the game.

One suggestion for a future iteration of this game: perhaps we could have two sets of five characters (like the detectives and the band), like WC said. And in each set, the five players can get together before the game and come up with their characters together. This would give us a smaller cast and less new information to process. And the bad guys could be spread out between the two gangs, lending to the "villains in teams of two" mechanic a bit better if we went with that again.

Sock

This post is probably gonna seem disjointed and weird. Sorry for that, I just want to get a bunch of thoughts down before I forget them.

Interesting stuff to see about the OCs. I get why the Canon Characters didn't like the much though, it makes sense to me.

I went in assuming this was gonna be an RP that was basically the Adel and Cups FTE but I tried to quickly adjust my attitude once it seemed like it totally wasn't going to be that. I'm glad some people got into Moe near the end because I tried to shift things a little so the Band had some sort of sense of normalcy.

I thought before the game even started that we just had too many people. 5/5 for a total of 10 or maybe a bonus 11th seems ideal to me as well.

Do people think that we need a group of people with special powers? Would the 5/5 split have OCs made in two groups or would it be better if the whole cast knew each other, like in this case if it was only the Band at the park.

I really enjoy PB's idea of everyone having their own deck, and they pick cards from it that're used up or maybe they can spend a whole turn doing nothing to reshuffle the whole thing? I'd honestly like to see more opinions on how that'd work because it seems like a really nice solution to me.

It also seems like a bunch of people were expecting some more serious posts and Roleplay while others wanted a game that was basically a board game with Adel x Cups level posts. I'm curious if people who wanted a goofier game would be interested in one with a more serious plot/tone. Not exactly disallowing goofy posts but something more serious than a wacky band with a small Moai gremlin at a spooky amusement park.

The American Dream

if the plot is serious and requires me to pay attention to anything beyond submitting my actions i feel like you lose some of the casual appeal of this

it sounds shitty but an excuse plot is the way to go for this imo

Shy guy

I think there's a wiiiiiiiiiiide breadth of space between "serious RPing" and "Adel x Cups FTE". Though whatever the end result, it needs to be clear prior to signups what the moment to moment posting will look like.

ASCEND

It doesn’t need to be serious but I’d personally prefer if all the posts had clear thought put into them. There’s definitely a different between comedic RPing and a slew of shitposts. But yeah, the GM can make that stuff clear before the game.

I agree that an excuse plot is generally better especially if the game has a large luck factor. I think you can keep the game goofy though without having the OCs feel so bizarre and incongruous.

I think the OC mystery gang is worth a try, though I’m not sure if they need abilities. It seemed like the canon characters this time wanted to have a more proactive role, though I’m not sure how you could accomplish that. More reliable abilities might help though.

I was thinking if everyone got deck they should keep the option to draw additional cards. Having that in addition to reshuffling would probably make the game too complicated though. It might be better to only allow for one.

gg

Happy Maria

Oh right I forgot to post here. Uhh gg everyone great game. It was a bit simplistic for my tastes ultimately but I really enjoyed my role as a saboteur. My final turn was probably the most impactful one of the game so that was fun to do. Obviously my being Scrappy was perfect and my reveal was my favourite part of the game. Sadly my interest dipped after that but I kept reading in intervals still. It was fun, I agree with a lot of the suggestions posted but I don't have much of note to add. Anyway fun times bye

oh almost forgot but gabby best character
Page 1 of 1 [ 28 posts ] 

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus