Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 24 posts ]

Turnabout of a Legend (PyWright) Case 1 Complete!Topic%20Title

i make things, broseph

Hiya all! SpeckledMoose here. I've always wanted to make a fancase... I've been a big admirer of the two Goliath fangames - Contempt of Court and Conflict of Interest, as well as all of DWaM's cases. Until this pandemic, I've never had the time to really sink my teeth in however.

But with so much free time, I finally decided to have a go at an idea I've had for a long time. And so I present to you all the first case, or 'Chapter' of Turnabout of a Legend!

I'm also proud to announce that I myself scored every single track that appears in this fan-case, aside from one theme from Justice for All. (Note that the score is inspired by and uses motifs/themes from the canon releases.) Some of them are pretty rusty, and I'll definitely polish them more along with everything else later! I've also made most of the art assets myself, so please give any feedback on those too!

This first chapter/case is now finished, and I'd say it's approx 5 hours in total length. Walkthrough included.

Spoiler: Premise
Apollo returns from his trials abroad to attend Chief Prosecutor Edgeworth's 5 Year anniversary project. Only to find his mentor, and dear friend Phoenix Wright murdered. With an old co-worker and friend accused, it is up to Apollo to prove her innocence, and find Phoenix's true killer! Investigate the crime, while uncovering more of the corruption ring at the Prosecutor's Office.

Spoiler: Screenshots

Spoiler: New Cast

Name: Raheem Franklin

Gifted young Prosecutor. Despite his casual demeanor in social settings, is an extremely formidable foe in court.

Name: Jade Florence

Old co-worker of Apollo's at the Gavin and Co. Law Offices. Has since changed career path to prosecutor. She's been accused of murdering Phoenix, but is she truly guilty?

Name: Kasim Franklin

Homicide Detective at the local precinct. Brother with Raheem, who - together - form a formidable duo. Seems to have a nack for sarcasm.

Version 0.989 of PyWright is highly recommended for this case! It's what I developed the case with, so I can't vouch for other versions to work with it. This version is present in Conflict of Interest. After you've downloaded both, place Turnabout of a Legend into the 'games' folder.

After you've downloaded, extract the .ZIP file. Then, move the extracted folder into the 'Games' folder of PyWright. You should be able to then access it from the menu.

Spoiler: Bugs
I'll put any bugs I get reported here and make a patch.

Spoiler: Credits
Huge credit to everyone below, case 1 wouldn't have been possible without you!

Hessehl - New Phoenix Sprites

Sligneris - New Edgeworth Sprites

SuperAJ3 - So, so much. Playtesting, and a million art assets.

DisastrousPancakes for testing!

Tap - Thousands of Anime BGs I'd be lost without

And to Saluk and his team for their creation of PyWright, which is absolutely amazingly easy to use.

And If anyone wants to help me in continuing this project, people good with art or just general writing and coding, please don't hesitate to contact me here!

Thank you - SM343

Last edited by speckledmoose on Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:14 am, edited 10 times in total.
Re: Turnabout of a Legend (PyWright) Part 1 Complete!Topic%20Title

Transgender Menace

Extremely impressive, especially the score. I had to ferret out the Investigation Core theme so I could listen to it again just because of how much I liked it. The dialogue is also top tier, it's refreshing to see a fangame with actual characterization instead of "everyone is Phoenix or Edgeworth or Gumshoe". The sound design is incredible as well.

As for the art - I like Athena's new design, though the sprites themselves are somewhat rough around the edges. The new characters have somewhat bland designs, in my opinion, but Kasim and Jade are very emotive and there's a lot of potential there. All in all, this is a very impressive and honestly pretty exciting project. I'm eager to see what you do with this!
"I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it.
"ᴄᴀᴛs," he said eventually. "ᴄᴀᴛs ᴀʀᴇ ɴɪᴄᴇ.”
― Terry Pratchett [RIP], Sourcery
| my personal site | my sprite thread |

Art Person

Just got through playing this and I loved it! Nice balance with humour and plot progression, your compositions are beautiful and It's paced well!

After being pestered encouraged by my pal In1tiate to play this, I decided to give this fangame a shot. And I have to say, I was positively surprised! ...for the most part. I think this fangame might have some potential to be really good, frankly.
As I deliver my thoughts on the game, I will delve into spoilers, so be warned if you haven't finished this yet.

Spoiler: "Writing"
The writing is likely one of the game's stronger suits. The intro is good at intriguing the player and goes on for just the right amount of time, without sounding too pretentious. The dialogues are fluid and very rarely is the pacing broken by a line that's forced or out of place. The canon characters are handled very well and their interactions are plausible, though sometimes Phoenix's dialogue feel more like lines spoke by his AJ self rather than his regular self (which isn't a major issue since he doesn't have a lot of screentime due to understandably becoming a corpse) and Apollo behaved strangely disrespectfully (see when he forces Raheem to shut up while asking an irrelevant question), complete with gratuitous swearing. Athena's also criminally underutilized in the trial phase and I hope you can somehow remedy that, since she's likely the character you have the best grasp on, and perhaps also add dialogue from her Widget.

Jade and Kasim are somewhat generic, but they're still emotive and their down-to-earth behaviour is fitting. I particularly like how Kasim is portrayed as a kind, hospitable detective who manages to remain neutral to both sides and I hope this trait is capitalized on more. Raheem, on the other hand, I heavily dislike. I found him rather forgettable in the investigation phase, while in the trial he was bastardized and turned into the typical cocky prosecutor type we've seen time and time again - only this time, he isn't even particularly good at his job, struggling to produce basic explanations for several issues in his case and often resorting to cheap insults. Not only is this completely unlike his portrayal during the investigation, but it doesn't make for a very fun or even threatening prosecutor (which is ironic, since we're allegedly going through one of the "top prosecutors in the country"), and the "he's like a completely different person whenever he steps in court" explanation we're given before the trial is not very convincing. Not to mention, the fact that he's Kasim's brother barely alters how the two of them interact, despite what the game would like to have us believe.

I recommend proofreading the script: there are multiple instances of typos, be it uncapitalized words at the start of sentences (very common in the trial segments), capitalized words that don't need to be capitalized, spelling mistakes ("proseuctor" comes up multiple times in the investigation, and I believe "magestic" instead of "majestic" in the intro is incorrect), questionable syntax or repetitious sentences ("As of now, I am currently a Chief Prosecutor").

Spoiler: "Gameplay and Mystery"
The gameplay throughout the investigation was mostly fine. It didn't have annoying fetch quests or pixel-hunting and I never found myself spamming the Present option on everyone I could find. I highly recommend adding more "examine" dialogue to the first few rooms instead of just linking the same conversation to the entire room though. In the trial, I noticed a heavy reliance on testimonies, with very few instances of "present evidence", select-spot or multiple choice boxes despite there being many points in the trial where you could have added them (for example, when Raheem prompts Apollo to show the court how the shot was performed when he can't prove it, or when he has to point out that the shot could have actually been fired from the window). Sometimes the case felt like it was on autoplay because of how little input was required from the player despite the elaborate explanations the defense would deliver to the court. The evidence is serviceable, though I'd personally adjust the map so that it has labels for which rooms are the guest rooms, which room is Edgeworth's office, etc. I at least hope that the next part incorporates the bracelet or the magatama into the actual gameplay, since that'd offer some more variety within the investigation and trial segments.

Sadly, I think the mystery is the weakest part of the game so far. It starts out like a locked room murder with a second way out and it confirms itself as just that throughout this first trial day. The few attempts at adding more spice to the formula end up causing a multitude of problems which are explained poorly if at all. The most notable example is how the room the murder took place in was dark; the game decides to explain this with the used firecrackers under the bed, which would have been used to set up a trap to give away the victim's location for the killer, making the murder premeditated. As a result of this, a multitude of problems and questions arise, both for the Defense and the Prosecution, which are never really addressed in the case:

- If the culprit fired the gunshot from the window like Apollo claims at the end of the case, why is the gunpowder caused by the gunshot not near the window, but near the firecracker gunpowder? It was too dark to go in and move it, and traces of gunpowder would remain even if that was done.
- How was the culprit sure that Phoenix would be the one to set off the firecrackers? In fact, how did he know Phoenix would enter the room at all?
- On a similiar note, how was the culprit certain that no one would set the trap off before the murder?
- Since Jade was also locked in the room with Phoenix, how was the culprit sure he'd shoot Phoenix and not Jade?
- How does the trap work? The Prosecution doesn't even showcase proof that it was used as a trap, let alone how it's meant to function.
- If the room was dark, how would Jade be able to witness the murder in shock, see the gun, and pick it up?
- Why does the Prosecution not conduct any sort of fingerprint scan on the firecrackers? (This one is particularly important, because it pretty much breaks the case as a whole - Jade can't have touched the firecrackers in the dark since they were stashed under the bed, and they need to be on there or the Prosecution's case is instantly proven false. They'd either find gloveprints or the actual culprit's prints in the current state of things.)
- When could the culprit have had time to set up the trap to begin with?
- Honestly... can the room even be that dark to begin with? I get the lights are off, but wouldn't even a slight bit of moonlight pass through the massive window?

These aren't, of course, the only pivotal questions or problems never brought up in the trial or during the conversation with Jade (for example, "What were Jade or Phoenix doing in Edgeworth's bedroom?", "Why was Edgeworth's bedroom unlocked for Wright to waltz into to begin with?", "Why was Wright only now in Edgeworth's mansion?"), and it's infuriating that the game doesn't address them whatsoever. It railroads the case and makes it look more like a game of "find out what the casemaker wants you to do" rather than "prove your client innocent".

It doesn't help that the Prosecution barely comes off as threatening, like mentioned before, and struggles to explain very basic problems - they don't even supply a motive for the case. In fact, Raheem gleefully overlooks some important explanations throughout the trial (an example: the Prosecution stated that Jade likely tried the window and found it jammed and that's why she couldn't escape... so if she moved like that, wouldn't she have time to head back for the door, change position and thus explain the contradiction Apollo finds by the end of the 3rd testimony?), while simultaneously failing to estabilish many pivotal elements to prove his case (another example: to claim Jade tried the window and attempted to escape, he first needs to show that the window has her fingerprints). They don't have to be portrayed as valid counterarguments, but at least addressing them throughout the trial would make the trial more interesting, offer some more moments of gameplay and make the Prosecution appear skilled at their job like they allegedly are.

I assume some of these matters will be explained in the next part, but they're essential details that should be resolved as soon as possible in the trial. So I suggest that the trial segment is adjusted a bit to sort out some of these queries, ESPECIALLY the motive (it doesn't even have to be something elaborate; for example, Raheem could claim Jade did it as revenge for Wright causing the fall of the Gavin & Co. Law Offices and was only able to do it now due to not having any other way to reach out to Phoenix). I also highly recommend Raheem's dialogue is adjusted so that they're able to give explanations more quickly (for example: instead of a 30-minute recess to find the firecrackers, make it so Raheem had found them from the start and lured Apollo into a trap).

I also found the segway into the Edgeworth testimonies incredibly forced. Apollo is encouraged to call Miles to the stand by... Phoenix communicating with him posthumously via the Magatama? Overlooking the fact that I'm fairly sure the Magatama can't do that to begin with, this isn't really necessary. Apollo could just come to the realization on his own, or be nudged to do it by Athena. Even weirder is how Raheem, just as he's about to win the case, with the Judge clearly on his side, decides to grant Apollo his cross-examination. It doesn't feel natural whatsoever and gives the impression that you couldn't see any way to continue the case further at all.

I'd like to make one last paragraph about Edgeworth's first testimony, because I think it's the weakest point of the entire case. I'll list the problems I have with it in another bulletpoint list.
- It's a "press-or-death" testimony, which is particularly difficult to handle if you don't understand why they worked in the actual games. For starters, the penalties were about 20% of your penalty bar at worst - not the massive 40% featured within this trial. Furthermore, these penalties were only handed out on some statements, not on all except for one, and occasionally you were even given the opportunity to avoid the penalty despite pressing the wrong statement (see Moe's testimonies in 2-3). But most importantly, when pressing a statement Phoenix would actually question the witness, whereas here Apollo is always interrupted with the same exact dialogue before asking anything for the purpose of creating a cheap fakeout effect when you do press the correct statement. The only exception to all of these is Luke Atmey's final deduction in 3-2, but not only is that the final cross-examination of the entire case, but it's also a continuous, linear deduction with nothing to question on the various statements, where the press function only serves to point out the contradiction in one of these passages (which is fairly obvious, might I add). Solution: decrease the penalty to 20% or 10%, make it so Apollo always asks actual questions to the witness when pressing and only have the Judge penalize you if Apollo questions a completely irrelevant point or badgers the witness.
- Edgeworth mentions hearing a single gunshot despite the previous testimony estabilishing he should have heard two loud noises. When pressing this detail or objecting with the firecrackers, this point isn't acknowledged and you only get a penalty. Solution: change the line to "two loud gunshots" or rewrite it so that when pressing/objecting with the firecrackers, it prompts dialogues where Raheem explains he couldn't have heard the firecrackers due to the room being too far away from the bedroom or something along those lines.
- The solution comes across as random and not very intuitive. The explanation for the statement you're meant to press is so obvious that players would immediately figure that's what happened and wouldn't press on it (and yet Raheem fails to point it out, but Edgeworth does...), and it yields an unexpected element that isn't even mentioned in the added statement, which makes objecting to it with the autopsy report rather confusing. Solution: after restructuring the testimony like suggested in point 1, remove the statement about holding a gun and having a shocked expression. Rewrite the press to the correct statement so that, instead of Apollo acting triumphant as if he'd found a contradiction, he's merely asking Edgeworth to describe the scene. Edgeworth mentions that the defendant looked straight at them as the butler was turning on the lights, that she was right in front of the body, and that she had a shocked expression and was holding the murder weapon. Give the player to choice to add one of these three statements; the first and the third one won't yield real progress, but the second one contains the necessary info to object with the Autopsy Report. (NOTE: if possible, add the fact that the victim was shot from a distance of 4m to the autopsy report description and incorporate that fact into the objection as well. Have Raheem use the explanation mentioned earlier, only for Apollo to comment that it's conjecture and he has no proof for it, or whatever other explanation you can think of.)

Spoiler: "SFX, Music, Art"
The music was very, very good. I particularly enjoyed the suspense remix, which was very catchy without losing its tense element, while me and In1tiate listened to the Investigation Core theme for 2 hours before realizing we might need to make progress on the case before turning 70. If I had any small critiques to make, I'd suggest slightly lowering the tempo for the Questioning Moderato and giving slightly more "oomph" to the Objection theme.

There's very little to mention as far as the SFX goes. I guess the new blips are enjoyable. I'm a tad skeptical on the usage of the 3D voicelines for Apollo, however, especially since Raheem's objection is Raymond's. I'd love if you could add different-pitch realization sounds for the sequences where the realization sound is being played multiple times back-to-back, but that's really low-priority.

The art is enjoyable whenever the OCs aren't concerned. Though it could use a few improvements, I particularly like Athena's new sprites and design, and the gloves and tie acting as widget are a clever spin on one of the cooler elements in her outfit. The backgrounds were serviceable, though you could have made the gunpowder stand out slightly more in Edgeworth's bedroom, and the GUI elements are well-animated. The OCs on the other hand have very bland designs, with palettes that don't really match the other characters and a somewhat limited and generic emote array - particularly bad in Raheem's case, where the Edgeworth base is also blatant and some of the poses look very strange like the shocked emote. Which is understandable, it'd be silly to expect a master spriter behind every project, but I'd recommend adding a few more features to make the characters stand out or at least changing the palettes to fit the AA style better, using the trilogy's sprites as reference. The dead body and Jade CGs are very uncanny, but I assume you're aware of that.

Spoiler: "Bugs"
During my playthrough I encountered a few notable bugs and oversights. Though I do not know which bugs you are already aware of, nor which ones are due to PyWright itself rather than the game's code, I figured I'd mention them all regardless.

- In the case intro, a very small portion of the background music plays just before the character dialogue begins.
- Opening the Court Record for the first time (at least in the opening sequence; I am not aware of what happens if done later on) causes an error and prevents the player from viewing the evidence. I was only able to fix this by saving, resetting the game and loading the save.
- After talking to Raheem in the investigation day, Raheem's sprite will stay in the background and Edgeworth's sprite will be displayed in front of it. Additionally, the GUI elements in the bottom screen will turn invisible until Edgeworth leaves and the talk menu is shown again.
- Throughout one of the first Cross-Examinations, one of the dialogues doesn't break the line properly, causing some of the text not to fit in the chatbox.
- I was not able to get Edgeworth's first testimony to play the allegro theme until the new statement was added.
- In Edgeworth's second testimony, there's nopopup for when the CCTVs are added to the Court Record, so they randomly appear at beginning of the Cross-Examination.
- The main button to advance text in the bottom screen has green stray pixels in the corners, while Apollo's embarrassed emote has a flickering stray pixel near the horns and isn't properly aligned in all frames.

Overall, though I have several criticisms, I enjoyed the fangame and I'm looking forward to how it will continue. Sorry if the message looks rushed at certain portions, I actually ended up rewriting this three times, because I'm a bit of an idiot.
Take my suggestions with a grain of salt, I'm just some random shmuck on the Internet.

i make things, broseph

Tides wrote:
After being pestered encouraged by my pal In1tiate to play this, I decided to give this fangame a shot. And I have to say, I was positively surprised! ...for the most part. I think this fangame might have some potential to be really good, frankly.
As I deliver my thoughts on the game, I will delve into spoilers, so be warned if you haven't finished this yet.

Spoiler: "Writing"
The writing is likely one of the game's stronger suits. The intro is good at intriguing the player and goes on for just the right amount of time, without sounding too pretentious. The dialogues are fluid and very rarely is the pacing broken by a line that's forced or out of place. The canon characters are handled very well and their interactions are plausible, though sometimes Phoenix's dialogue feel more like lines spoke by his AJ self rather than his regular self (which isn't a major issue since he doesn't have a lot of screentime due to understandably becoming a corpse) and Apollo behaved strangely disrespectfully (see when he forces Raheem to shut up while asking an irrelevant question), complete with gratuitous swearing. Athena's also criminally underutilized in the trial phase and I hope you can somehow remedy that, since she's likely the character you have the best grasp on, and perhaps also add dialogue from her Widget.

Jade and Kasim are somewhat generic, but they're still emotive and their down-to-earth behaviour is fitting. I particularly like how Kasim is portrayed as a kind, hospitable detective who manages to remain neutral to both sides and I hope this trait is capitalized on more. Raheem, on the other hand, I heavily dislike. I found him rather forgettable in the investigation phase, while in the trial he was bastardized and turned into the typical cocky prosecutor type we've seen time and time again - only this time, he isn't even particularly good at his job, struggling to produce basic explanations for several issues in his case and often resorting to cheap insults. Not only is this completely unlike his portrayal during the investigation, but it doesn't make for a very fun or even threatening prosecutor (which is ironic, since we're allegedly going through one of the "top prosecutors in the country"), and the "he's like a completely different person whenever he steps in court" explanation we're given before the trial is not very convincing. Not to mention, the fact that he's Kasim's brother barely alters how the two of them interact, despite what the game would like to have us believe.

I recommend proofreading the script: there are multiple instances of typos, be it uncapitalized words at the start of sentences (very common in the trial segments), capitalized words that don't need to be capitalized, spelling mistakes ("proseuctor" comes up multiple times in the investigation, and I believe "magestic" instead of "majestic" in the intro is incorrect), questionable syntax or repetitious sentences ("As of now, I am currently a Chief Prosecutor").

Spoiler: "Gameplay and Mystery"
The gameplay throughout the investigation was mostly fine. It didn't have annoying fetch quests or pixel-hunting and I never found myself spamming the Present option on everyone I could find. I highly recommend adding more "examine" dialogue to the first few rooms instead of just linking the same conversation to the entire room though. In the trial, I noticed a heavy reliance on testimonies, with very few instances of "present evidence", select-spot or multiple choice boxes despite there being many points in the trial where you could have added them (for example, when Raheem prompts Apollo to show the court how the shot was performed when he can't prove it, or when he has to point out that the shot could have actually been fired from the window). Sometimes the case felt like it was on autoplay because of how little input was required from the player despite the elaborate explanations the defense would deliver to the court. The evidence is serviceable, though I'd personally adjust the map so that it has labels for which rooms are the guest rooms, which room is Edgeworth's office, etc. I at least hope that the next part incorporates the bracelet or the magatama into the actual gameplay, since that'd offer some more variety within the investigation and trial segments.

Sadly, I think the mystery is the weakest part of the game so far. It starts out like a locked room murder with a second way out and it confirms itself as just that throughout this first trial day. The few attempts at adding more spice to the formula end up causing a multitude of problems which are explained poorly if at all. The most notable example is how the room the murder took place in was dark; the game decides to explain this with the used firecrackers under the bed, which would have been used to set up a trap to give away the victim's location for the killer, making the murder premeditated. As a result of this, a multitude of problems and questions arise, both for the Defense and the Prosecution, which are never really addressed in the case:

- If the culprit fired the gunshot from the window like Apollo claims at the end of the case, why is the gunpowder caused by the gunshot not near the window, but near the firecracker gunpowder? It was too dark to go in and move it, and traces of gunpowder would remain even if that was done.
- How was the culprit sure that Phoenix would be the one to set off the firecrackers? In fact, how did he know Phoenix would enter the room at all?
- On a similiar note, how was the culprit certain that no one would set the trap off before the murder?
- Since Jade was also locked in the room with Phoenix, how was the culprit sure he'd shoot Phoenix and not Jade?
- How does the trap work? The Prosecution doesn't even showcase proof that it was used as a trap, let alone how it's meant to function.
- If the room was dark, how would Jade be able to witness the murder in shock, see the gun, and pick it up?
- Why does the Prosecution not conduct any sort of fingerprint scan on the firecrackers? (This one is particularly important, because it pretty much breaks the case as a whole - Jade can't have touched the firecrackers in the dark since they were stashed under the bed, and they need to be on there or the Prosecution's case is instantly proven false. They'd either find gloveprints or the actual culprit's prints in the current state of things.)
- When could the culprit have had time to set up the trap to begin with?
- Honestly... can the room even be that dark to begin with? I get the lights are off, but wouldn't even a slight bit of moonlight pass through the massive window?

These aren't, of course, the only pivotal questions or problems never brought up in the trial or during the conversation with Jade (for example, "What were Jade or Phoenix doing in Edgeworth's bedroom?", "Why was Edgeworth's bedroom unlocked for Wright to waltz into to begin with?", "Why was Wright only now in Edgeworth's mansion?"), and it's infuriating that the game doesn't address them whatsoever. It railroads the case and makes it look more like a game of "find out what the casemaker wants you to do" rather than "prove your client innocent".

It doesn't help that the Prosecution barely comes off as threatening, like mentioned before, and struggles to explain very basic problems - they don't even supply a motive for the case. In fact, Raheem gleefully overlooks some important explanations throughout the trial (an example: the Prosecution stated that Jade likely tried the window and found it jammed and that's why she couldn't escape... so if she moved like that, wouldn't she have time to head back for the door, change position and thus explain the contradiction Apollo finds by the end of the 3rd testimony?), while simultaneously failing to estabilish many pivotal elements to prove his case (another example: to claim Jade tried the window and attempted to escape, he first needs to show that the window has her fingerprints). They don't have to be portrayed as valid counterarguments, but at least addressing them throughout the trial would make the trial more interesting, offer some more moments of gameplay and make the Prosecution appear skilled at their job like they allegedly are.

I assume some of these matters will be explained in the next part, but they're essential details that should be resolved as soon as possible in the trial. So I suggest that the trial segment is adjusted a bit to sort out some of these queries, ESPECIALLY the motive (it doesn't even have to be something elaborate; for example, Raheem could claim Jade did it as revenge for Wright causing the fall of the Gavin & Co. Law Offices and was only able to do it now due to not having any other way to reach out to Phoenix). I also highly recommend Raheem's dialogue is adjusted so that they're able to give explanations more quickly (for example: instead of a 30-minute recess to find the firecrackers, make it so Raheem had found them from the start and lured Apollo into a trap).

I also found the segway into the Edgeworth testimonies incredibly forced. Apollo is encouraged to call Miles to the stand by... Phoenix communicating with him posthumously via the Magatama? Overlooking the fact that I'm fairly sure the Magatama can't do that to begin with, this isn't really necessary. Apollo could just come to the realization on his own, or be nudged to do it by Athena. Even weirder is how Raheem, just as he's about to win the case, with the Judge clearly on his side, decides to grant Apollo his cross-examination. It doesn't feel natural whatsoever and gives the impression that you couldn't see any way to continue the case further at all.

I'd like to make one last paragraph about Edgeworth's first testimony, because I think it's the weakest point of the entire case. I'll list the problems I have with it in another bulletpoint list.
- It's a "press-or-death" testimony, which is particularly difficult to handle if you don't understand why they worked in the actual games. For starters, the penalties were about 20% of your penalty bar at worst - not the massive 40% featured within this trial. Furthermore, these penalties were only handed out on some statements, not on all except for one, and occasionally you were even given the opportunity to avoid the penalty despite pressing the wrong statement (see Moe's testimonies in 2-3). But most importantly, when pressing a statement Phoenix would actually question the witness, whereas here Apollo is always interrupted with the same exact dialogue before asking anything for the purpose of creating a cheap fakeout effect when you do press the correct statement. The only exception to all of these is Luke Atmey's final deduction in 3-2, but not only is that the final cross-examination of the entire case, but it's also a continuous, linear deduction with nothing to question on the various statements, where the press function only serves to point out the contradiction in one of these passages (which is fairly obvious, might I add). Solution: decrease the penalty to 20% or 10%, make it so Apollo always asks actual questions to the witness when pressing and only have the Judge penalize you if Apollo questions a completely irrelevant point or badgers the witness.
- Edgeworth mentions hearing a single gunshot despite the previous testimony estabilishing he should have heard two loud noises. When pressing this detail or objecting with the firecrackers, this point isn't acknowledged and you only get a penalty. Solution: change the line to "two loud gunshots" or rewrite it so that when pressing/objecting with the firecrackers, it prompts dialogues where Raheem explains he couldn't have heard the firecrackers due to the room being too far away from the bedroom or something along those lines.
- The solution comes across as random and not very intuitive. The explanation for the statement you're meant to press is so obvious that players would immediately figure that's what happened and wouldn't press on it (and yet Raheem fails to point it out, but Edgeworth does...), and it yields an unexpected element that isn't even mentioned in the added statement, which makes objecting to it with the autopsy report rather confusing. Solution: after restructuring the testimony like suggested in point 1, remove the statement about holding a gun and having a shocked expression. Rewrite the press to the correct statement so that, instead of Apollo acting triumphant as if he'd found a contradiction, he's merely asking Edgeworth to describe the scene. Edgeworth mentions that the defendant looked straight at them as the butler was turning on the lights, that she was right in front of the body, and that she had a shocked expression and was holding the murder weapon. Give the player to choice to add one of these three statements; the first and the third one won't yield real progress, but the second one contains the necessary info to object with the Autopsy Report. (NOTE: if possible, add the fact that the victim was shot from a distance of 4m to the autopsy report description and incorporate that fact into the objection as well. Have Raheem use the explanation mentioned earlier, only for Apollo to comment that it's conjecture and he has no proof for it, or whatever other explanation you can think of.)

Spoiler: "SFX, Music, Art"
The music was very, very good. I particularly enjoyed the suspense remix, which was very catchy without losing its tense element, while me and In1tiate listened to the Investigation Core theme for 2 hours before realizing we might need to make progress on the case before turning 70. If I had any small critiques to make, I'd suggest slightly lowering the tempo for the Questioning Moderato and giving slightly more "oomph" to the Objection theme.

There's very little to mention as far as the SFX goes. I guess the new blips are enjoyable. I'm a tad skeptical on the usage of the 3D voicelines for Apollo, however, especially since Raheem's objection is Raymond's. I'd love if you could add different-pitch realization sounds for the sequences where the realization sound is being played multiple times back-to-back, but that's really low-priority.

The art is enjoyable whenever the OCs aren't concerned. Though it could use a few improvements, I particularly like Athena's new sprites and design, and the gloves and tie acting as widget are a clever spin on one of the cooler elements in her outfit. The backgrounds were serviceable, though you could have made the gunpowder stand out slightly more in Edgeworth's bedroom, and the GUI elements are well-animated. The OCs on the other hand have very bland designs, with palettes that don't really match the other characters and a somewhat limited and generic emote array - particularly bad in Raheem's case, where the Edgeworth base is also blatant and some of the poses look very strange like the shocked emote. Which is understandable, it'd be silly to expect a master spriter behind every project, but I'd recommend adding a few more features to make the characters stand out or at least changing the palettes to fit the AA style better, using the trilogy's sprites as reference. The dead body and Jade CGs are very uncanny, but I assume you're aware of that.

Spoiler: "Bugs"
During my playthrough I encountered a few notable bugs and oversights. Though I do not know which bugs you are already aware of, nor which ones are due to PyWright itself rather than the game's code, I figured I'd mention them all regardless.

- In the case intro, a very small portion of the background music plays just before the character dialogue begins.
- Opening the Court Record for the first time (at least in the opening sequence; I am not aware of what happens if done later on) causes an error and prevents the player from viewing the evidence. I was only able to fix this by saving, resetting the game and loading the save.
- After talking to Raheem in the investigation day, Raheem's sprite will stay in the background and Edgeworth's sprite will be displayed in front of it. Additionally, the GUI elements in the bottom screen will turn invisible until Edgeworth leaves and the talk menu is shown again.
- Throughout one of the first Cross-Examinations, one of the dialogues doesn't break the line properly, causing some of the text not to fit in the chatbox.
- I was not able to get Edgeworth's first testimony to play the allegro theme until the new statement was added.
- In Edgeworth's second testimony, there's nopopup for when the CCTVs are added to the Court Record, so they randomly appear at beginning of the Cross-Examination.
- The main button to advance text in the bottom screen has green stray pixels in the corners, while Apollo's embarrassed emote has a flickering stray pixel near the horns and isn't properly aligned in all frames.

Overall, though I have several criticisms, I enjoyed the fangame and I'm looking forward to how it will continue. Sorry if the message looks rushed at certain portions, I actually ended up rewriting this three times, because I'm a bit of an idiot.
Take my suggestions with a grain of salt, I'm just some random shmuck on the Internet.

First of all, I'd like to really thank you for taking the time to play my little case but also to give your feedback. It's so so so helpful because as a creator sometimes you can be blindsighted to a lot of the issues you're making, and it takes someone else to show you the way.

Been as most of your criticisms seem to stem from the actual crime, I'll do my best to answer some of your issues without spoiling my design for the rest of the case.

Spoiler: Spoilers
First of all, it's important to emphasize that the majority of the problems you bring up I'm fully aware of, but they will be addressed in the second half of the trial. Pretty much every point I plan to have as the crux of Apollo's arguments. Obviously, it can be frustrating because you're playing just the 'first half' and so it feels very contrived (and it's for sure something I need to work on).

But my plan when the game is 'fully' released is for both of these parts to be played back to back, in my opinion kinda alleviating some of the "Well this is clearly a contradiction, why can't I raise it" and the "on rails" moments. Also, in my defense these moments are commonplace in the canon games as well.

Rest assured, (I hope) that a lot of these contradictions, when they are explained later on will actually come back as relevant plot points in a way that feels rewarding to the player if they picked them up the first time round, such as yourself. (If you've played Contempt of Court, you'll know that Cardivore did the same thing with 'blind spots' from his first trial, making them plot relevant in the last case.)

That being said, there are for sure things you've noted here that I was completely blind to, and I'll definitely rewrite the trial segments to reflect this. (Jade's motive is one I completely planned to put in, I just forgot :redd: ) However, rest assured that most of the points you've raised will definitely get a worthy explanation further down the line. Also, Raheem being a pretty terrible prosecutor despite his reputation will make a lot more sense when the trial concludes.

Athena is also going to be central to the next investigation phase, although I won't spoil HOW... I think you're going to like what I have planned for her.

With Edgeworth's testimony (the first one) - I based it off Luke Atmey's testimony in 3-2, not Moe's testimony. In Atmey's testimony, you actually get a game over if you fail, so my penalty is relatively minor compared to that.

Jade's sprites deffo need a workover, I'm no artist, that's for sure.

You'll be pleased to know that aside from the court record not working the first time (this is a problem with PyWright, not with my scripts, so I'm going to hopefully need to contact someone more savvy than me to fix that) I've fixed all the other bugs you've mentioned.

In terms of actual gameplay... I agree there needs to be more 'point out the mistake' and 'present evidence' moments. Truth is, they are extremely tedious to make but I do value their importance to the audience. But I'll for sure insert more in.

Overall, I wanted trial 1 to be short because the vast majority of the mystery is going to be unraveled in the second part.

With all that said, I'm super glad you enjoyed it (for the most part) And I'll definitely consider your critiques. I'm planning to upload a 'fixed' version of part one without the bugs, and some of the trial changed (along with a much needed spell-check). And I plan to release part two at the very latest by Christmas (Hopefully sooner!)

If you're open to have a dialogue about the case and test it, please message me either here or on discord (speckledmoose343).

Uendo stole our diagnosis...

Hey, uh, got an issue trying to load the game. It kind of just loads the "choose your case" screen, but without any buttons, and if I click anywhere on it, it just shuts down PyWright.
lastlog.txt file contents below.
Spoiler: Error Log
This log contains debugging and error messages from the last run.
test
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "core\libengine.py", line 2934, in make_start_script
File "urllib2.pyc", line 124, in urlopen
File "urllib2.pyc", line 389, in open
File "urllib2.pyc", line 502, in http_response
File "urllib2.pyc", line 427, in error
File "urllib2.pyc", line 361, in _call_chain
File "urllib2.pyc", line 510, in http_error_default
HTTPError: HTTP Error 403: Forbidden
lookup art/fg/../general/logosmall
art/fg/../general/logosmall.txt art/general/logosmall.png None
<open file 'art/general/logosmall.png', mode 'rb' at 0x03606B60>
starting game games/Turnabout of a Legend Turnabout of a Legend None casemenu
not script games/Turnabout of a Legend/Turnabout of a Legend.txt
starting game games/Turnabout of a Legend intro casemenu
building registry for .
building registry for ./games
building registry for ./games/Turnabout of a Legend
lookup art/bg/main
art/bg/main.txt art/bg/main.png None
<open file 'art/bg/main.png', mode 'rb' at 0x03606BB0>
lookup art/general/selection_chapter
art/general/selection_chapter.txt art/general/selection_chapter.png None
<open file 'art/general/selection_chapter.png', mode 'rb' at 0x03606B60>
lookup art/general/arrow_right
art/general/arrow_right.txt art/general/arrow_right.png None
<open file 'art/general/arrow_right.png', mode 'rb' at 0x03606C00>
File "PyWright.py", line 31, in <module>
File "core\libengine.py", line 3303, in run
assets.cur_script.handle_events(pygame.event.get([pygame.MOUSEMOTION,pygame.MOUSEBUTTONUP,pygame.MOUSEBUTTONDOWN]))
File "core\libengine.py", line 383, in handle_events
gui.widget.handle_events(self,n)
File "core\gui.py", line 151, in handle_events
self.event("click_down_over",evt.pos)
File "core\gui.py", line 120, in event
done = w.event(name,p2,*args)
File "core\gui.py", line 128, in event
func(*args)
File "core\core.py", line 2696, in click_down_over
surf,pos = self.option_imgs[self.choice*3]
IndexError: list index out of range

Image Mindcastle SystemImage

i make things, broseph

the.armenator wrote:
Hey, uh, got an issue trying to load the game. It kind of just loads the "choose your case" screen, but without any buttons, and if I click anywhere on it, it just shuts down PyWright.
test
building registry for .
lookup art/bg/main
assets.cur_script.handle_events(pygame.event.get([pygame.MOUSEMOTION,pygame.MOUSEBUTTONUP,pygame.MOUSEBUTTONDOWN]))
func(*args)

what version of PyWright are you running?

speckledmoose wrote:
the.armenator wrote:
test
building registry for .
lookup art/bg/main
func(*args)

0.9880, as recommended.

speckledmoose wrote:
the.armenator wrote:
test
building registry for .
lookup art/bg/main
func(*args)

Update: FIGURED IT OUT. For some reason, when I downloaded ToaL, it had another "Turnabout of a Legend" folder inside the "Turnabout of a Legend" folder, so when it tried to find the art folder, it was looking for "Turnabout of a Legend/art" when the art was in "Turnabout of a Legend/Turnabout of a Legend/art". It took me like an hour and a half to do it, but boom shakalaka. I hope I like the case!

i make things, broseph

the.armenator wrote:
speckledmoose wrote:
the.armenator wrote:
test
building registry for .
lookup art/bg/main
func(*args)

Update: FIGURED IT OUT. For some reason, when I downloaded ToaL, it had another "Turnabout of a Legend" folder inside the "Turnabout of a Legend" folder, so when it tried to find the art folder, it was looking for "Turnabout of a Legend/art" when the art was in "Turnabout of a Legend/Turnabout of a Legend/art". It took me like an hour and a half to do it, but boom shakalaka. I hope I like the case!

Sorry you had to go through all that trouble, I'll definitely look into that. Hope you enjoy what I've done so far, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated:)

I'm very salty because I wrote out a 2,000-word review and it logged me out before I could post it.

EDIT: The person who wrote a review above pretty much covered most things I thought of.

Okay, so, things I wanted to add to the above person's review:

Spoiler: Criticisms
Raheem's arms are rather thin in his court sprites. (I don't recall if this specifically was mentioned.)

Jade's shocked expression in the body discovery cutscene wasn't that shocked. It looked a bit like she was faking it, or like she was yawning with her eyes open. (My theory actually implies this is intentional, but given the general quality of the sprites, I'm just running under the more likely assumption that it's not. Then again, you didn't seem to have the problem of failing to express an emotion in any of the sprites [which is a compliment!], so...)

I feel like it's strange that Athena and Apollo didn't really question Edgeworth about the "monster" that he and Phoenix were chasing. Given the already-secretive circumstances of him telling them in private about said monster, and given their investigative nature, it's weird to me that they didn't even ask "who's this monster?" (Edgeworth could've just said "I can't divulge that information right now" if you don't want that revealed at that point in the case.) I had so little information that it could've conceivably been the purple Teletubby with a gun.

Jade kind of just seems... "there". In my theory for what's going on, this would fit in rather well, but I feel like she's just a bit bland. Not much to her aside from her smirking at Apollo and implications that they dated at some point. Same for Raheem and Kasim - I like them, but they lack a bit of substance in my opinion. Raheem's court persona seems a bit based off of Edgeworth, which I feel like may be intentional, but his typical dude-bro persona seems a bit meh.

Phoenix was too arrogant in my opinion. I feel like there is no way he would ever say "yeah, it was Kasim's loss for not getting to meet me!", much less call Edgeworth a dumbass or be so crude in moments in general. (It made sense for him to be like that with the Butler, since he was playing himself up to ham it up with the guy, but not so much with Raheem or Edgeworth.) Maybe this was intentional (I elaborate on this in my theory below), but it just seems like he wouldn't do that.

Seconding what the above person said: Apollo was kind of a dick to Athena for no reason. It makes sense for him to have the mindset of "we can't cry too much, we've got to persevere for Phoenix's sake", but before they even take Jade's case, literally the same damn night that he died, and before consoling Athena (which was just strange), it was pretty rude of him to be like "Athena, you can't cry!!!". I feel like it would make more sense for his character (especially considering that he and Athena grew closer after 5-5) to be like, "hey, I get you're sad, let's talk about it", then have the moment where he says "We talked on and on, mostly about our memories of Mr. Wright", then try to motivate her by encouraging her to move past her tears. (I also feel like he didn't even grieve the way he probably should've on his OWN time, which - I get if he'd be like "I have to move on!!!" immediately with someone who he didn't care as much about [like, I don't know, Ema?], but with Phoenix, of all people, I feel like he'd mourn more.)

Also, this isn't really much of a complaint, since I obviously haven't played the whole case, but as much as I goddamn love Athena's sprites in this case, I feel like some sort of explanation is necessary. Since it's not like Apollo or Phoenix have new outfits, and I definitely feel that, in canon AA, Athena's colorfulness is one of her key characteristics, since it makes her stand out in such a bright way. So to divert from that so strongly, I feel like there needs to be some in-universe justification. If not just a "What's with the new outfit?" // "I've been into mixing black and white with colors recently! And Widget's gotten an enhancement, so now I can incorporate him into my clothes!" interaction.

In regards to the mystery, all of the above person's complaints were far more well versed than I could've ever phrased mine. The only suggestion I have is to use position markers like in Turnabout Corner (4-2) with arrows, because it was confusing for me to figure out where Jade was standing, even after everything was explained. (I kind of just guessed my way through that entire section of the trial.) That, and I feel like a rectangle denoting the bed would've helped a lot for me, at least.

There were numerous sentences that didn't start with a capital letter. like this sentence right now. Please use shift. (And please use Google for long words, don't just sound them out. "Supurfulous", "beaurocracy", and "interegators" really killed me inside. (As did "moose" instead of "mousse" in the part where someone's talking about hair products.)

Also, this is more of a criticism about criticisms, but - I just want to note that, while it's okay to have things intentionally left out to explain later, I feel like that's happened a lot here, and I would encourage you to try and not excuse every flaw under that umbrella of "it'll come up later". (Not saying that's what you've done for everything, by any means, but Raheem's incompetence and the numerous errors in the mystery are already enough, if not a bit more, things to leave for later, so I would proceed with caution.)

Spoiler: Positives
Edgeworth was written VERY well, in my opinion. My favorite Edgeworth moments: 1) him crying about how it was his fault that Phoenix died (which explored the "how does he cope with loss" side of him, which the canon games never cover, since Gregory died 15 years before 1-4), 2) "the accent was way off and borderline offensive, but yes" (I laughed a lot at that).

Similarly, Athena was characterized very well. I just wish she appeared more in the trial. (Like, she doesn't have to do a Mood Matrix or anything, just please give her some dialogue outside of those co-counsel talks after the end of testimonies. Just have her react to stuff in the trial the way the judge would.) She was my favorite character in this case, next to Edgey.

The music was BOMB. I listened to Serenity on loop for two hours while writing my original (deleted, dammit, not-saved password!) review, and I'm listening to the Moderato theme on loop while writing this. I have all the soundtrack saved to my computer to listen to; it's probably my new OST obsession.

Athena's sprites: AWESOME. The outlining, especially with her eyes, could use a bit of work, but you nailed it otherwise. I love her purple "shocked" pose (which I don't recognize from the custom sprites some people on AAO made for her!), and the monochrome outfit with a single color for the Widget tie and cuffs is SUCH a bomb design choice. Really nice job there.

Love the POC rep with Raheem and Kasim. I've only seen two other black AAO fan sprites/characters. (One person from Conflict of Interest, and one person on the AAO custom characters thread - http://aaonline.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5563 - which, by the way, I recommend you look at the better sprites on there to practice shading, proportions, and outlining for your custom sprites.) I just hope that they don't become the main/only villains, because it would kind of suck for the only black characters to be evil while everyone else is innocent.

I really like the way you've built up hype for the corruption ring, aside from the one moment I talked about in my "Criticisms" section. I'm really excited to see where everything goes. (I have a few suspicions in mind... Please just don't let Edgeworth be the killer, I feel very scared of that.)

Overall, I really enjoyed the case, despite the flaws in the mystery and plot (and the typos... please use Google, I beg you), and somehow, despite all of those, it's up there with the "list of fan cases that Ash has enjoyed significantly more than the majority of them" (which means it's in my top 1/4 or so of cases I've played, nice achievement!). I'm very excited for what's to come.

Spoiler: My Theory
I definitely feel like Raheem and/or Jade (probably both) are involved with the corruption ring. Maybe Raheem got his status, or even just his job, as a result of said corruption? (Like, if that somehow led to bumping his score on the bar exam or something.)

I think that, even with a 5th anniversary for his job, and his retirement, Edgeworth would NOT invite anyone to his place other than Phoenix and co. A friend of mine suggested that maybe, like in 2-4, he called them there to confess something because he trusted them to hear it, but Edgeworth himself said in the flashback with Phoenix that he had no one that really cared about him. I suspect that he called Phoenix and co, along with Jade, Raheem, etc, because he suspected the others in being involved with the corruption ring. It would also explain why Phoenix would be murdered so conveniently at this party.

As for the murderer, part of me actually wants to suspect Edgeworth, but I think that's just because Phoenix's arrogant characterization made me think "what if he's not really Phoenix?", and that led me down the path of "well, if it's not really Phoenix, then Edgeworth could want to kill him to save himself or Apollo/Athena/etc in some way". But I really know so little at this point that all I can do is say that Raheem and Jade strike me as suspicious. (I personally don't think Kasim's involved much, if at all, but it would be cool if he was the murderer and found a way to bypass the security cameras on his way in, the same way Apollo implied the culprit could've escaped in the dark and bypassed them that way.)

Also, I think the firecrackers were forged. No way they weren't found. They were just strewn under the bed! Apollo should've found those.

But either way, I'm still curious about this "monster" that Edgeworth and Phoenix have been chasing after, because that seems like a bit more than just the ring itself. Maybe the leader? We'll see. I'm really excited.

Wow, this really ended up being almost 2,000 words as well.

i make things, broseph

the.armenator wrote:
I'm very salty because I wrote out a 2,000-word review and it logged me out before I could post it.

EDIT: The person who wrote a review above pretty much covered most things I thought of.

Okay, so, things I wanted to add to the above person's review:

Spoiler: Criticisms
Raheem's arms are rather thin in his court sprites. (I don't recall if this specifically was mentioned.)

Jade's shocked expression in the body discovery cutscene wasn't that shocked. It looked a bit like she was faking it, or like she was yawning with her eyes open. (My theory actually implies this is intentional, but given the general quality of the sprites, I'm just running under the more likely assumption that it's not. Then again, you didn't seem to have the problem of failing to express an emotion in any of the sprites [which is a compliment!], so...)

I feel like it's strange that Athena and Apollo didn't really question Edgeworth about the "monster" that he and Phoenix were chasing. Given the already-secretive circumstances of him telling them in private about said monster, and given their investigative nature, it's weird to me that they didn't even ask "who's this monster?" (Edgeworth could've just said "I can't divulge that information right now" if you don't want that revealed at that point in the case.) I had so little information that it could've conceivably been the purple Teletubby with a gun.

Jade kind of just seems... "there". In my theory for what's going on, this would fit in rather well, but I feel like she's just a bit bland. Not much to her aside from her smirking at Apollo and implications that they dated at some point. Same for Raheem and Kasim - I like them, but they lack a bit of substance in my opinion. Raheem's court persona seems a bit based off of Edgeworth, which I feel like may be intentional, but his typical dude-bro persona seems a bit meh.

Phoenix was too arrogant in my opinion. I feel like there is no way he would ever say "yeah, it was Kasim's loss for not getting to meet me!", much less call Edgeworth a dumbass or be so crude in moments in general. (It made sense for him to be like that with the Butler, since he was playing himself up to ham it up with the guy, but not so much with Raheem or Edgeworth.) Maybe this was intentional (I elaborate on this in my theory below), but it just seems like he wouldn't do that.

Seconding what the above person said: Apollo was kind of a dick to Athena for no reason. It makes sense for him to have the mindset of "we can't cry too much, we've got to persevere for Phoenix's sake", but before they even take Jade's case, literally the same damn night that he died, and before consoling Athena (which was just strange), it was pretty rude of him to be like "Athena, you can't cry!!!". I feel like it would make more sense for his character (especially considering that he and Athena grew closer after 5-5) to be like, "hey, I get you're sad, let's talk about it", then have the moment where he says "We talked on and on, mostly about our memories of Mr. Wright", then try to motivate her by encouraging her to move past her tears. (I also feel like he didn't even grieve the way he probably should've on his OWN time, which - I get if he'd be like "I have to move on!!!" immediately with someone who he didn't care as much about [like, I don't know, Ema?], but with Phoenix, of all people, I feel like he'd mourn more.)

Also, this isn't really much of a complaint, since I obviously haven't played the whole case, but as much as I goddamn love Athena's sprites in this case, I feel like some sort of explanation is necessary. Since it's not like Apollo or Phoenix have new outfits, and I definitely feel that, in canon AA, Athena's colorfulness is one of her key characteristics, since it makes her stand out in such a bright way. So to divert from that so strongly, I feel like there needs to be some in-universe justification. If not just a "What's with the new outfit?" // "I've been into mixing black and white with colors recently! And Widget's gotten an enhancement, so now I can incorporate him into my clothes!" interaction.

In regards to the mystery, all of the above person's complaints were far more well versed than I could've ever phrased mine. The only suggestion I have is to use position markers like in Turnabout Corner (4-2) with arrows, because it was confusing for me to figure out where Jade was standing, even after everything was explained. (I kind of just guessed my way through that entire section of the trial.) That, and I feel like a rectangle denoting the bed would've helped a lot for me, at least.

There were numerous sentences that didn't start with a capital letter. like this sentence right now. Please use shift. (And please use Google for long words, don't just sound them out. "Supurfulous", "beaurocracy", and "interegators" really killed me inside. (As did "moose" instead of "mousse" in the part where someone's talking about hair products.)

Also, this is more of a criticism about criticisms, but - I just want to note that, while it's okay to have things intentionally left out to explain later, I feel like that's happened a lot here, and I would encourage you to try and not excuse every flaw under that umbrella of "it'll come up later". (Not saying that's what you've done for everything, by any means, but Raheem's incompetence and the numerous errors in the mystery are already enough, if not a bit more, things to leave for later, so I would proceed with caution.)

Spoiler: Positives
Edgeworth was written VERY well, in my opinion. My favorite Edgeworth moments: 1) him crying about how it was his fault that Phoenix died (which explored the "how does he cope with loss" side of him, which the canon games never cover, since Gregory died 15 years before 1-4), 2) "the accent was way off and borderline offensive, but yes" (I laughed a lot at that).

Similarly, Athena was characterized very well. I just wish she appeared more in the trial. (Like, she doesn't have to do a Mood Matrix or anything, just please give her some dialogue outside of those co-counsel talks after the end of testimonies. Just have her react to stuff in the trial the way the judge would.) She was my favorite character in this case, next to Edgey.

The music was BOMB. I listened to Serenity on loop for two hours while writing my original (deleted, dammit, not-saved password!) review, and I'm listening to the Moderato theme on loop while writing this. I have all the soundtrack saved to my computer to listen to; it's probably my new OST obsession.

Athena's sprites: AWESOME. The outlining, especially with her eyes, could use a bit of work, but you nailed it otherwise. I love her purple "shocked" pose (which I don't recognize from the custom sprites some people on AAO made for her!), and the monochrome outfit with a single color for the Widget tie and cuffs is SUCH a bomb design choice. Really nice job there.

Love the POC rep with Raheem and Kasim. I've only seen two other black AAO fan sprites/characters. (One person from Conflict of Interest, and one person on the AAO custom characters thread - http://aaonline.fr/forum/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=5563 - which, by the way, I recommend you look at the better sprites on there to practice shading, proportions, and outlining for your custom sprites.) I just hope that they don't become the main/only villains, because it would kind of suck for the only black characters to be evil while everyone else is innocent.

I really like the way you've built up hype for the corruption ring, aside from the one moment I talked about in my "Criticisms" section. I'm really excited to see where everything goes. (I have a few suspicions in mind... Please just don't let Edgeworth be the killer, I feel very scared of that.)

Overall, I really enjoyed the case, despite the flaws in the mystery and plot (and the typos... please use Google, I beg you), and somehow, despite all of those, it's up there with the "list of fan cases that Ash has enjoyed significantly more than the majority of them" (which means it's in my top 1/4 or so of cases I've played, nice achievement!). I'm very excited for what's to come.

Spoiler: My Theory
I definitely feel like Raheem and/or Jade (probably both) are involved with the corruption ring. Maybe Raheem got his status, or even just his job, as a result of said corruption? (Like, if that somehow led to bumping his score on the bar exam or something.)

I think that, even with a 5th anniversary for his job, and his retirement, Edgeworth would NOT invite anyone to his place other than Phoenix and co. A friend of mine suggested that maybe, like in 2-4, he called them there to confess something because he trusted them to hear it, but Edgeworth himself said in the flashback with Phoenix that he had no one that really cared about him. I suspect that he called Phoenix and co, along with Jade, Raheem, etc, because he suspected the others in being involved with the corruption ring. It would also explain why Phoenix would be murdered so conveniently at this party.

As for the murderer, part of me actually wants to suspect Edgeworth, but I think that's just because Phoenix's arrogant characterization made me think "what if he's not really Phoenix?", and that led me down the path of "well, if it's not really Phoenix, then Edgeworth could want to kill him to save himself or Apollo/Athena/etc in some way". But I really know so little at this point that all I can do is say that Raheem and Jade strike me as suspicious. (I personally don't think Kasim's involved much, if at all, but it would be cool if he was the murderer and found a way to bypass the security cameras on his way in, the same way Apollo implied the culprit could've escaped in the dark and bypassed them that way.)

Also, I think the firecrackers were forged. No way they weren't found. They were just strewn under the bed! Apollo should've found those.

But either way, I'm still curious about this "monster" that Edgeworth and Phoenix have been chasing after, because that seems like a bit more than just the ring itself. Maybe the leader? We'll see. I'm really excited.

Wow, this really ended up being almost 2,000 words as well.

First of all, thanks for not only taking the time to play the case but also to give such good feedback! It means a lot, sincerely.

Spoiler: Response
I'd like to respond to a few of your criticisms, however.

First, the thing with Phoenix is I tried to get him more like his 'AJ' self, primarily because I really don't like the way the 3DS games characterize him. If you play Apollo Justice, you'll know Phoenix isn't above being a smidge arrogant, and I loved that about him.

With Athena - the suit was planned just because I had to redraw all her sprites from scratch (the author of the custom sprites is AFK, so I didn't wanna use without their permission) I personally don't think any exposition is needed to explain her outfit change. I feel it's just explaining stuff for the sake of it and takes away from the pacing of the game. Again, this comes down to preference really. I'm glad you enjoyed the sprites! It took me a few days to nail them all down. (The black suit was intended to take away Athena's colour - representing her mourning Wright)

I definitely didn't intend for Apollo to come off as a douche while consoling Athena. I think that comes from my own lack of social graces (i.e, I would also be completely clueless in that situation XD)

The spelling is something I'm 100% with you on. Problem is, I do the scripts in notepad which unlike Word has no spellcheck feature. Going back and re-doing spelling is also extremely tedious (Which is why I need play-testers for the final release.) I'm also shockingly bad at grammar and spelling in general, but It's definitely something that bugs me as much as you - I'll for sure be looking to polish that.

Any of your art related criticisms - believe me - I completely agree with you on XD. This is the first time I've really had to DRAW anything seriously so even I cringe at how awful some of the assets are. It's so hard to find people who can work to my schedule. So in my line of thought - make your own shitty placeholder art, and then hopefully some kind kind soul will patch things up later on lmao XD

I think you'll like what I have in store for the rest of the case, and once again thank you for playing and your very valuable feedback! :D

i make things, broseph

Hi Everyone! Part 2 of Chapter 1 is now completed and playtested. Download is available above.

If you played part 1, there's a guide to help you skip to part 2 if you'd like. However, Due to some minor yet key logistics changes to do with the crime and setting, I'd highly advise you replay part 1 if you so desire.
Re: Turnabout of a Legend (PyWright) Case 1 Complete!Topic%20Title

I can't use pfp's from URLs ;-;

Hey. Liking this so far >.>

But uhh I've encountered a couple errors, and not just in programming

Spoiler: Errors
I've seen a couple instances of words being immediately repeated here and there

At the Detention Center, after I'm finished talking with Jade, she says "I've got a date with the integrators". Doesn't she mean the interrogators...?

When I talk to Kasim for the first time, I get this error in both options

I also get it when I try to get back into the lobby after I accidentally went back to the manor exterior

Good evening. Nate here.

i make things, broseph

Nate wrote:
Hey. Liking this so far >.>

But uhh I've encountered a couple errors, and not just in programming

Spoiler: Errors
I've seen a couple instances of words being immediately repeated here and there

At the Detention Center, after I'm finished talking with Jade, she says "I've got a date with the integrators". Doesn't she mean the interrogators...?

When I talk to Kasim for the first time, I get this error in both options

I also get it when I try to get back into the lobby after I accidentally went back to the manor exterior

Hi, first of all, my spelling is awful so you're right, that is meant to be interrogators XD.

Secondly, What version of PyWright are you using? And did this error prevent you from progressing?

speckledmoose wrote:
Secondly, What version of PyWright are you using? And did this error prevent you from progressing?

I'm using 0.9880

......Wait a minute

(Also yeah, it prevented me from progressing)
Good evening. Nate here.

i make things, broseph

Nate wrote:
speckledmoose wrote:

I'm using 0.9880

......Wait a minute

(Also yeah, it prevented me from progressing)

The one I linked to above, just to make sure? If not, that could be the issue. If it is, I'll see if I can patch it up for you!

speckledmoose wrote:
The one I linked to above, just to make sure? If not, that could be the issue. If it is, I'll see if I can patch it up for you!

No no, turns out it was cuz I had 0.9880 and not 0.989. Problem solved now!
Good evening. Nate here.

Ok, I got back to where I left off and kept playing from there. Just finished Trial 1 and stopped for now

I will say: I love how the Objection theme has both Apollo's and Phoenix's leitmotifs
Good evening. Nate here.

Ok, I just finished playing

I ain't much of a reviewer, but I will say

Spoiler: Spoiler
The plot twist with Kasim was pretty interesting. During the first scene of Athena in his secret room, when she was discovering the stuff about him, my imagination was making up some scary images; one of which happened to involve a figure resembling Kasim, with no eyes and giving a big creepy smile. Eventually, whaddya know! HE SHOWS UP SMILING WITH HIS EYES OBSCURED BY SHADOW

I also liked that you put an after-credits scene, cuz that just reminds me of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (which I'm into) and how they also put after-credits scenes (Even sang a bit of the Avengers theme towards the end of the credits proper, around the part where it said "Thank you for playing")

I also had a huge gasp of surprise with the Kristoph reveal!

Lookin' forward to whatever continuation you may have in the works for this gem!

That said... I also encountered a few more notable bugs

Spoiler: Bugs
In the Perceive minigame, when the tick is found, the Gotcha! exclamation stays there and doesn't disappear until that scene ends.
And when the game itself ended, I got launched into an animated title screen; no buttons anywhere tho, and when I clicked somewhere I got launched right back to the beginning of the game (the disclaimer). Or was that intended, sort of...?

Good evening. Nate here.

This could be a great case and it indeed had a great set up and everything which I enjoyed all the way up to the second trial. But that said, the second trial was where I have issues with when it comes to how we're able to present our case.

Spoiler:
The bit when we're asked "What misconception have we made{n}since the trial began?"
and was supposed to present the Camera Data was too open ended of a question. I first thought that The Window not being a usable escape route was a misconception since the Window Jammer shows that someone else could have escaped through there before jamming it. I honestly thought that was a legit argument though the same could be said for the camera data which shows Kasim had always been there too. What i would have done was first have Apollo claim that there is evidence of another person being at the Manor then have the Udgey ask what is this evidence of a third party which would fit the Camera Data. Speaking of which, we also never got to present the fact that Jade didn't have the remote, which is also a clear contradiction to her accusation and would have been satisfying to present.

It's still fairly enjoyable overall, it's just that this issue made the trial fairly frustrating.

Overall it's a good case for first case, the music too is very cool.

The issue for me maybe about athena sprite, i know you do that alone. I suggest maybe you can try use Athena sprite from Rajin and MercurialSK from here

The google drive download no longer seems to work! Any chance of updating the link, or if someone could reupload it?
Creator of PyWright, the lovable case construction system!
Also visit the PyWright post.

Archive Link here: https://archive.org/details/turnabout-of-a-legend
Page 1 of 1 [ 24 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games