Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 1 of 4[ 146 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Nonary Game X — Sign Up Thread (Closed. Subs...?)Topic%20Title

ASCEND

Spoiler: Premise
On the night of a New Years’ celebration, a city is decimated by a bombing raid. Twelve apparent strangers lost in the rubble find themselves in a ruined facility, forced to fight with each other for survival.

Hello and welcome to Nonary Game X: Subtitle TBA! Are you ready for more multitemporal excitement? Then read on!

Spoiler: Fast Facts
- Up to eleven characters with their own backstories and personalities are up for grabs! Those who sign up will be assigned a character according to their preferences. One of these characters is optional, so a minimum of 10 players is needed for the game.
- Four or more timelines to experience! Just like in NG7, the story depends on your choices. Through timelines you can explore new sides to your character and do all the zany stuff you want!
- Ten complex puzzle rooms to explore! These rooms are filled to the brim with original or borrowed brainteasers, exciting drama, and secrets for the cleverest solvers.
- Five unique challenges to overcome! These challenges will split the group into teams and pit them against each other for the chance to escape. These are great opportunities for development, reveals, and a bit of fun.
- Zero anagrams! Not a single one in the whole game! You can kiss anagramsolver.com goodbye!

As you can probably guess from the return of timelines, this game will be most similar to NG7. That means a heavy emphasis on story and characters but less on gameplay. I know that game disappointed some people regarding player agency, and I’m open to ideas about how I could fix that. I can’t promise a whole lot though, so just know what you’re getting into if you sign up. Either way, player choices will have a large impact on individual events but probably not on endings.

The game is mostly standalone. A concept might be borrowed from another game, and there might be a couple of easter eggs, but that’s about it. That also means you don’t need to know anything about Zero Escape or the other games to join, though it would certainly help.

Sounds interesting? Or maybe it being an NG was enough to get your attention and that whole section was pointless? Either way, those interested in signing up should agree to the NEO-MAMA in-thread and then fill out the survey here. It shouldn’t take very long. The questions are just meant to give me an idea of which characters might fit you.

The Three Things you NEED to Know:
- Once again, this game has no codenames, but you can freely choose your own character’s name. The characters in this game have a good mix of quality names and utter trash. Maybe y’all can come up with something better? The only rule about names is to keep your character’s nationality in mind. Basically don’t give your Japanese man a basic white girl name. Also, characters in role PMs will be referred to by their default names, so expect those to change at some point.
- Unlike basically every other game on this site, NGX is not set in the U.S. or some ambiguous Great Country. In fact, the cast isn’t even speaking English in-universe! This won’t have a huge impact on your roleplaying, but it might be beneficial to research your character’s culture a bit. The game’s native language does come up in several puzzles, but there will be a dictionary in the first post with all the information you might require.
- As I said before, 10 players are needed, but there’s an extra slot for anyone willing to take Player 4. This character has a more limited backstory and role and won’t get to participate in many puzzle rooms. I called them the “Einstein character” before the game, but they’re actually closer to Pink in NG9 (if she never left the closet). You can indicate in the sign-up form if you’d be willing to play this character. If you’d like additional details about the character before you sign up, let me know privately. If no one’s interested, I’ll play as the character (but they probably won’t be as good).

Spoiler: NEO-MAMA
1. Don’t be inactive.
2. If you have to be inactive for some reason, let me know so that I can make accommodations if possible.
3. Be respectful toward other players, i.e. no being a jerk.
4. Don’t engage in excessive, unprompted criticism of other characters or the narrative—particularly details that can no longer be changed. Know the difference between constructive and destructive criticism and know the time and place for it. We’re all here to have fun, and toxic attitudes are not conducive to fun.
5. Don’t use meta means of communicating private information such as screenshots, PMs, and smoke signals. Be sportsmanlike. Considering the number of twists and mysteries in this game, this rule is especially vital.
6. Don’t be spiteful if something bad happens to your character. Don’t try to ruin things for other people. Be mindful that this is a mystery game and while you may know the answer to some of the twists, sometimes it’s best to hold on to things.
7. Spoiler alert but there are bad people in this game who will do and say bad things to characters, possibly yours. So don’t be spiteful to the players of those characters. They are being mean in the context of their character, which is part of the game.
8. At certain times, you may be tempted to have your character act in a way that seems like it would seriously mess up the cohesion of the game. If that happens, talk to me and we can work something out. I'll also know for sure if it'll mess anything up and I can figure out a new way of continuing.
9. Don’t doxx the GM.
10. Don’t be inactive.

Spoiler: FAQs
“Why aren’t there any codenames? I LOVE codenames!”
They wouldn’t really make any sense for this game. Also they’re dumb.

“When will the game start?”
The game will begin whenever all the players feel like they understand their characters. And when I feel like I understand the timelines well enough. So basically Wednesday probs

“How long will the game last?”
NG7 was only a little over a month, so hopefully this’ll be about the same length. I’m not the most experienced GM though, so we’ll see.

“Why are there more than nine characters?”
When I first conceived this I was afraid of having to kick a bunch of people out of the game, so I added more characters. Then so many parts of the game got built around that number that it was impossible to turn back. For what it’s worth, there’s only really one extra character since the eleventh is optional.

“The premise mentions twelve people, so why are only 11 sign ups allowed?”
That’s an easy one. Basically, one of the characters is your mom, so she counts as two people.

Extra Notes for Gamers:
1. Content advisory warning: this game will feature characters who die violently, often multiple times. There may also be a child character who can die brutally multiple times. I’m not gonna do anything dark or depraved for the sake of it, but in case this is a concern, now you know. At least there’s no sex or nudity though

2. Most of the characters have very specific appearance details that might be hard to match with a reference. I’m admittedly attached to the appearances because they tie into character backstories and narrative themes and contribute to a more vibrant cast, but I’m willing to budge on some points. If you’re having trouble finding an avatar, let me know and we can talk it out. Alternatively, you can all commission NIKI and fill out their bank account for a couple months.

3. A few puzzles may require image editing knowledge. Nothing too intense, but maybe familiarize yourself with software like GIMP before the game unless you want to let everyone else do all the work.

4. Because this game includes timelines, being able to remain active for its entire run time is even more important than usual. If you have scheduling conflicts during the game, let me know so we can try to work something out.

5. There’s a lot of dialogue in the role PMs. Don’t worry about trying to make your characters talk exactly like they do in them. I’d rather see your own takes on the characters, as long as they fit within the general guidelines. You can also deviate or add to their states personality as long as it gets the spirit across.

The sign-up period will last for about two days. I’ll try to come to a final conclusion on Sunday, but it may be extended if need be. Hopefully the whole thing will be as painless as possible.

This game has been in the works for over two years, so I’m excited to kick it off! I can’t wait to see what direction y’all will take the characters in and hopefully make something memorable!

Until then, zai jian!
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Last edited by Planetbox on Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Nonary Game X — Sign Up Thread (Open)Topic%20Title

Sleeping is my life.

Submitted my survey. Also agreed to NEO-MAMA, because why not?

Survey sent, and I agree to the NEO-MAMA as well! Looking forward to this!

This is the day I have waited for my entire life. I want to game. I want to FEEL ALIVE!!

Soon I will game in game paradise!!

Very excited for this. Very excited to go all out. NG7 is my favorite experience I've had on the forums and hopefully there will be room for me in the game so I can experience it once more.

Timelines are epic.

The NEO-MAMA is epic.

Therefore, I agree to the NEO-MAMA and will fill out the survey once I'm done reading everything a billion times. The premise definitely sounds really cool.

BEECH

Oh, I simply MUST agree with the NEO-MAMA! It's proper mint, innit?

Sock

Agreed to PB's mom.

Survey says!... Sent.

Really excited for this, even if I end up spectating. Though I kinda really wanna be in this one lol. NG7 and NG9 where extremely fun to watch and I always wanted a slice of that action myself. Good luck everyone, and good luck PB in running this.

Shy guy

×5

Premise definitely seems interesting, there's more going on than I expected. Being set in a foreign country seems interesting too.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Player 4 turns out. Might be a cool idea to bring forward to future NGs, if it works well.

I agree to the neo-MAMA!

Rookie Killer

Sorry, I'm not going to be joining this one but I'll try to read along/spectate.

Winston Payne wrote:
Sorry, I'm not going to be joining this one but I'll try to read along/spectate.

Hopefully it's as fun as NG7 to read along with. Like on one hand playing a character is really interesting, but on the other hand there's something fun about figuring out the mystery from a perspective which knows nothing.

Sounds exciting! Definitely in/agree to MAMA

Your mother is a very nice lady but I'm afraid I'm not interested in her, no offense meant, I'll even agree to your mama as a show of good faith.

oh also I signed up

Happy Maria

Literally just vibing

Also survey sent and mama agreed to

PB you're epic have a good day

Gettin' Old!

NO ANAGRAMS?! SIGN ME UP!

Thanks very much for doing this PB. We'll need to rename it from Nonary Game though with the number of players. I can probably be more on board with the narrative set up now than I was with NG7 because my expectations were different. Playing to win there as opposed to playing a story. Knowing the score going in I can make my peace with that!

I agree to the Neo-Mama I'll do the survey in a second.
Made by Chesu+Zombee

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.

ASCEND

Pierre wrote:
We'll need to rename it from Nonary Game though with the number of players.

Ok lit. But also, Nonary Game X is just a placeholder name for it being the 10th game. There's a way it makes sense in universe, but it's dumb.

The "official" title of NGX is something else, which I'll reveal when I send out role PMs.
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

No other way than to make this mistake.

I have agreed to the Neo-MAMA, the covenant of blood has been signed and my firstborn has been sacrificed to Satan.

I'm in. Just like I was in your m

Possible mistake in the survey:

Eric is in the "I might not like to play this" category???

Are you trying to mock me????

?????

Regardless I am excited to game with the gamers here. Also that country beers song made me lol. I'm sure it's for an epic? character.

Sock

you know my name is kinda similar to eric.

Maybe PB was trying to publicly shame me too. Why wouldn't I want to play as myself??

i am eric.

ASCEND

Kachu reveals that his name is Derek

I’m Erik

Sock

Planetbox wrote:
Kachu reveals that his name is Derek

Perhaps it is.

(It isn't.)

It's really sad that PB would do this to Kachu but oh well.

This wait is killing me. Maybe I should reread ng7 to get hype.

We should do character ends and then I should get the character whose ending is the true ending.

Happy Maria

It's 6 am and I haven't slept yet because I'm too busy vibing how are you guys doing

I am in full hype mode. Time to stay up all night til the game starts.

It's Sunday in Brasil the greatest country in the world now PB where's the cast

ASCEND

Bruh you’re gonna be waiting for a hot minute I haven’t even decided on Player 4 yet

I’ll have them posted by 1 P.M. EST, if I don’t you can call the police

Sock

Planetbox wrote:
Bruh you’re gonna be waiting for a hot minute I haven’t even decided on Player 4 yet

I’ll have them posted by 1 P.M. EST, if I don’t you can call the police

Can I not call the police until then?

1PM is actually usually when I wake up that's kinda epic.

Extremely excited for this, looks like there's no last minute sign ups or anything (but no subs is a little worrisome.)

I will now post the countdown:

7 hours

Shy guy

I thought it's more like 6 hours now?

ASCEND

Okay so at this point I’ve narrowed down most of the cast, but there’s two players who both fit the same two characters and I’m having trouble choosing who should get who. Everything should be ready by 1 though.

4 hours...

ASCEND

Here's some neat stuff while you're waiting/asleep.

This is the one for which you'd like to play as because I apparently forgot to screenshot the title.

Y'all did my boy Luke Combs dirty wow. He's literally from my state so this is personal. Game cancelled

Shy guy

Why is Snake always so consistently popular??

Poor Quark... I mean I get it, but still, unfortunate.

0% for Luke Combs is actually hilarious.

Why do some bars not have labels though?

ASCEND

Not sure. I think it means they just don't fit on the screen. Like the one with 4 is Leave Me Alone but it's not there cause the band's name is so long

Shy guy

Ahh, rip

Can't tell if the music results reflect people's character preferences, or musical taste. Either way people are WRONG

KamiPanda wrote:
Why is Snake always so consistently popular??

He was pretty gamer towards the end of 999 is my guess. Though playing blind characters is kinda eugh when you think about it.

2 to 3 hours...

Shy guy

When you think about it, as forum RPers none of us can actually see anything the characters do anyway......

ASCEND

There was originally a blind character in this game until I realized it would be literally impossible for them to do any puzzle

Sock

Snake just vibes with me. When I first played 999 forever ago he was my fave despite me only getting through like one set of doors lol. Like 2+ years later I finally restarted and played the whole game that time.

Really I'm more surprised about the Phi votes myself tbh.
Page 1 of 4 [ 146 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus