Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 2[ 60 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2  Next

PyWright Version 1.1 SDL 2 GPU Acceleration and Python 3 UpdTopic%20Title

This is a 1.1 update/release to the PyWright Casemaker. This release has been updated to pygame 2, python 3, and updated to support hardware acceleration with SDL 2.
Executable downloads available at https://gitlab.com/farorbit/pywright-gpu-dist (Linux and Windows) and source code at https://gitlab.com/farorbit/pywright-gpu.

If you are downloading a binary/exe, I would go into the folder for the os you want and click "Download this Directory."

Featuring: better performance, fixed downloads, and better unicode support.
More info at: https://protop.link/2020/05/02/pywright-1-1-release/

Last edited by fartherorbit on Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:47 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Re: PyWright Version 1.1 SDL 2 GPU Acceleration and Python 3Topic%20Title

Hi!

It's nice to see someone looking after one of the best case makers and keeping it up to date!

But, may I ask why did you use original Saluk's v0.9880 as a base instead of the newer improved version that Conflict of Interest runs on? It was customized by a C-R member known as E.D.Revolution and it has been nicknamed v0.989, despite this number AFAIR hasn't been officially implemented in data.txt (check also CoI main post for an alternate download link).

I can tell the difference because in the newer version the look of GUI has been improved.
Here are screens for comparison:
Your version........................................E.D.'s version

Aside for these cosmetic chages, there had been also some serious upgrades and bug fixes made in core files. So, could you please look into this version and upgrade it as well? (And don't forget to credit E.D.Revolution!)

Also, for some unknown reasons, in your version I cannot use mouse button to choose evidence in my CR, only keyboard (for other GUI elements, mouse works fine).

As for the unicode support, I checked how do my diacritical marks work in your version, but with no plausible results. Sure, I get no errors anymore, but letters don't display correctly - instead of this:

I've got something looking like this:

1) I originally did not base the new version on the 0.989 beta included with Conflict of Interest because it was missing several important source files I needed. It would have still been possible to base it on this version, but I would have needed to copy in the missing files and made sure that they worked properly.
2) Also, I compared the version I used for the 0.989 beta included with Conflict of Interest and noticed very few changes other than the changed evidence image sizes. (And also the new gui macros, but I left those alone. The macros also aren't generally dependent on the code anyway.)
-I have completed a diff (comparison) of the two versions and added most of the changes I found in the 0.989 beta in the latest version.

The broken click function in the evidence menu was actually an error. I fixed it along with the delete key deleting entire text boxes in the latest version.

The unicode support only works in the new default font. You either need to leave the default or use "set _font_nt NotoMono-Regular.ttf" and "set _font_tb NotoMono-Regular.ttf"
(*I tested on Windows and there seems to be an issue where boxes show up unless you explicitly set this font even though the default font should be the same. When
I added "set _font_nt NotoMono-Regular.ttf" and "set _font_tb NotoMono-Regular.ttf" with the size settings (set _font_nt_size 12, set _font_tb_size 13) to my test file/script it worked for me.)

"set _font_nt mingliu.ttc" is still necessary for Japanese or Chinese characters

fartherorbit wrote:
I originally did not base the new version on the 0.989 beta included with Conflict of Interest because it was missing several important source files I needed. It would have still been possible to base it on this version, but I would have needed to copy in the missing files and made sure that they worked properly.
2) Also, I compared the version I used for the 0.989 beta included with Conflict of Interest and noticed very few changes other than the changed evidence image sizes. (And also the new gui macros, but I left those alone. The macros also aren't generally dependent on the code anyway.)

In fact, not only CoI, but most of major recent games including Ensnared Turnabout (the last case of Contempt of Court), Turnabout to El Dorado or Hexepta Fangame use this version. And the changes aren't by any means purely cosmetic. Back when I was a beta-tester for CoI, I remember encountering some annoying bugs and errors in 0.988 (here's an example of one of them), which have been resolved by switching to 0.989. Thus, founding your project on 0.988 instead of 0.989 may render said games unplayable.

Quote:
-I have completed a diff (comparison) of the two versions and added most of the changes I found in the 0.989 beta in the latest version.

For your convenience, I've compiled some list featuring major changes made for 0.989, aesthetic and gameplay-enchancing:

• Changing bottom screen bgs for investigations ("Move" and "Talk" scripts). In each of the menus, they have their own UI and background (there was a black bg in 0.988).
  • GUI graphics ("main" backgrounds, "press" and "present" buttons, back, back_high, check and check_high buttons etc) have been updated.
  • A folder called "chains" is added. Old chains.mcro has been made obsolete with psychelocks.mcro
  • The lock sign you see for psyche locks is added. It's called "checkmark_lock" (Saluk included that option in his engine, but it never worked):
  • Magatama button from AJ has been added. It's under the psyche folder.
  • Issues with capitalization of characters' names have been fixed (no further problems with names such as von Karma)
  • Major bugfix: In 0.988, there was a serious bug in the CE. Whenever you back of presenting evidence in CEs, the bottom screen would turn black and be unusable. It has been fixed in 0.989.
  • Minor bugfix: the check/examine button has become properly aligned.
  • The evidence and cursor icons in the evidence menu are now be 40 x 40 instead of 36 x 36. The evidence menu graphics are updated to reflect that.
  • The health bar has been moved down 10 pixels and 4 pixels left
  • Perceive function has been improved and made to emulate the AJ sequence as much as possible. The perceive and perceive_high buttons have been added/updated (the previous perceive button was incredibly crappy).
  • Text alignment: The text is now spaced exactly how they are in the games.
  • Evidence menu Title Color: the name of the evidence is now orange like in original DS games.
  • Cross Examination Advance Button Alignment: It's now aligned lower on the bottom screen to emulate the DS games.
  • Sound effects for clicking buttons.

If I remember something else, I'll let you know.

Quote:
The broken click function in the evidence menu was actually an error. I fixed it along with the delete key deleting entire text boxes in the latest version.

Thanks! I'll download the new version and evaluate changes you've made.
Quote:
The unicode support only works in the new default font.

If so, then why does it work in evidence names, even with old fonts?

Quote:
(*I tested on Windows and there seems to be an issue where boxes show up unless you explicitly set this font even though the default font should be the same. When
I added "set _font_nt NotoMono-Regular.ttf" and "set _font_tb NotoMono-Regular.ttf" with the size settings (set _font_nt_size 12, set _font_tb_size 13) to my test file/script it worked for me.)

Anyway, I could modify the new font with some font-editing software and supplement it with characters I need, just like I did with the previous one. I could send you all my modified fonts, so you could implement them in-game, what do you say?

Last edited by Darth Wiader on Sat May 09, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A quick update from my side (sorry for double-posting). It turned out that my letters DO, in fact, WORK in your engine, even with the default font!!

All I had to do was to select a different type of encoding while saving my *txt files. For the record, this trick never worked in the previous versions of PyWright! Therefore, I can confirm that Unicode is now fully supported! BIG THANKS!

You're doing wonderful work, keep it up!

I tried to run my test game on the newest version of your engine (last updated: five days ago) and I encountered an error:

It never happened before in previous versions, what is the source of this problem?

I posted a version that should fix the issue. It may be due to some bugfixes I added, but if not I would try deleting your log file because it may have become too big.

Thanks, now it works like it should.

The one with many faces

Holy crap, I didn't even know this existed.

I did forget that I did include 0.989 as a base for my series.

Me being back after 5 years out of the game and restarting my project... I gotta see how this will work here. Whether or not I want to use my version or upgrade to this one...

EDIT: Can I ask... besides the unicode fix for diacritics, what other changes have been made between 0.989 and this? I do not have the time nor patience to go through the whole code to compare.

EDIT2: I'm sorry, but I do not approve of any of these fixes. Here's the reason why: I'm testing Mia Fey: Ace Spirit Attorney, and it actually broke the game. Like literally my game won't start. You really should've taken Darth's advice and used 0.989 as a base, because it looks like 0.988 is still the base and it's breaking games.

As previously stated, I downloaded .0988 at the time I updated and didn't realize I wasn't using the most updated/0.989 and later rebased it to 0.989 (so the code is pretty much on par to 0.989 with some more bug fixes). If there are any other bugs, I could take a look at them.

Also, I am not sure what issue you are having, but I have just tested Mia Fey: Ace Spirit Attorney and it seems to be working fine.

The major updates are listed here. (https://protop.link/2020/05/02/pywright-1-1-release)

The one with many faces

Your examples are actually proving by my point. When I tried to use my copy I couldn't click on anything on the case selection screen except back. My sweet effects weren't coming out. Your second pic shows your engine is bugged. There is supposed to be a background on both screens.

I see what you mean. I'm looking into it now.

The one with many faces

Yeah, seriously dude. It doesn't seem that the 0.989 core changes have been incorporated at all. This is why I said you should have taken Darth's advice. How do I know it wasn't incorporated? Those changes listed viewtopic.php?p=1453275#p1453275 aren't incorporated.

• HP bar is back to the 0.988 version
  • Text alignment is back to 0.988 version
  • CE Advance buttons back to 0.988 version
  • Evidence menu title color back to 0.988 version
  • Your engine is throwing a lot of errors not present in 0.989.
  • It's not being able to find art assets even though it exists.
  • It's skipping a lot of dialogue. Especially when using double backslash to indicate "do not read", it's skipping more than just the double backslash.
  • Syntax parsing is broken. When using list command, it doesn't redirect to the label even though it exists. More apparent if the list item has more than one word.
  • When testing saves, the engine thinks I've seen that text while the exact same save on 0.989 correctly shows that the I haven't seen the text.

My game is seriously bugged on this version, but virtually bug-free on 0.989. Hell, experiments I was testing back in the day on 0.989 do not work on 1.13.

I have fixed the issue (the code was not searching subdirectories) but am not able to upload a new compiled version/exe build due to an error/issue. (an error/issue not really related to the code/project itself) With the current build, copying the files from the art/sfx folder in each case's folder to the main art/sfx folder of the base game or the main pywright art/sfx folders seems to work. ("Mia Fey - Ace Spirit Attorney (Distribution Copy)/The_Tortured_Turnabout/art" -> "Mia Fey - Ace Spirit Attorney (Distribution Copy)/data/art") I have updated the source repository but not the binary's repository. Because of this error/issue, I probably won't be able to continue the project. Sorry. I know this post isn't particularly helpful, but I wanted to at least let you know the status of the project instead of disappearing. Thank you for all your work and the information.

The one with many faces

Since I got back into the game, I'm trying to figure out what changes you made in the code compared to 0.989. Admittedly some changes you have made are working, but a lot of stuff that was working in 0.989 is not working 1.13

fartherorbit wrote:
Because of this error/issue, I probably won't be able to continue the project. Sorry. I know this post isn't particularly helpful, but I wanted to at least let you know the status of the project instead of disappearing.

Could you at least drop a hint on how to incorporate Unicode support in 0.989, if possible? :sadshoe:

Version 1.14.0 released with semantic versioning and some important bugfixes. (Direct link to release: https://gitlab.com/farorbit/pywright-gp ... -/releases) Sorry for the delay, but I was having trouble with the building process and finally got it working. Please let me know if there are any bugs/issues. I might do some "testing" on some games to look for bugs, so there may be some bug patch versions coming in the future.

Only windows releases for now because I do not have a machine for linux builds right now.

Also, pygame 2.0.0 released and I upgraded to it, so builds should probably be more stable from bugs now. (As in new bugs not existing ones.)

Art Person

Ooh! Definitely gonna check this out to see how it compares to 0.989 (and if my game still works within it).

EDIT: Can I ask is there a way to revert the fonts used in the court record back to the ones used in 0.989? It's thrown my court record out of whack a little:
Spoiler:
ImageImage

Also does this version support things like textboxes staying on screen during the addition of lists? Same with characters remaining on screen for menus and local menus?

EDIT 2: Sorry for bringing these things up, but in terms of compatibility with 0.989, 3D evidence renders quite dark.
Spoiler: 0.989 screenshot v 1.14 screenshot
Identical code used for both. I could fix background disappearing probably for 1.14 but IDK how to fix lighting.

0.989:

1.14:

Hah, my bad.
No, bringing up this stuff is fine. These are the kinds of bugs I was looking for.

The background also seems to be missing in the 3d renderer. Thinking that might be related. It was a transparency issue.

Spoiler:

I think there is a way to change the font for a game. I'll have to look into it. (and the other bugs)

Quote:
Also does this version support things like textboxes staying on screen during the addition of lists? Same with characters remaining on screen for menus and local menus?

I'm actually not sure... I can check.

Edit:

There are multiple options for the fonts in the defaults.macro (in core/macros), but you would need to change this every time an update is released because I include those files. An easier way is to change the default fonts at the beginning of your script. Apparently, you can also include a defaults.macro with your scripts. I'm guessing you figured that out. I did a test and it seems to carry through scene and file changes. (I named the example japanese-err_setting_continuation and it should be included in the next point release) The japanese-err file in the examples folder shows how to change the font. There are multiple settings that affect different parts of the game.

TLDR: Setting these at the beginning of the file should use the default fonts. You can adjust them to your liking.

set _font_tb pwinternational.ttf
set _font_tb_size 10
set _font_block arial.ttf
set _font_block_size 10
set _font_nt arial.ttf
set _font_nt_size 10
set _font_list pwinternational.ttf
set _font_list_size 10
set _font_itemset pwinternational.ttf
set _font_itemset_size 10
set _font_itemset_big arial.ttf
set _font_itemset_big_size 14
set _font_itemname pwinternational.ttf
set _font_itemname_size 10
set _font_loading arial.ttf
set _font_loading_size 16
set _font_gametitle arial.ttf
set _font_gametitle_size 16
set _font_new_resume arial.ttf
set _font_new_resume_size 14

Last edited by fartherorbit on Fri Jan 15, 2021 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Art Person

Thanks for letting me know! I could set up a defaults.mcro in my case and it should load just fine.

Released 1.14.1 with the 3d transparency fix and the new font example. (https://gitlab.com/farorbit/pywright-gp ... es/V1.14.1) I can look into the textbox and characters thing next.

Characters/text boxes/etc. don't seem to stay on screen with lists and local menus. IMO this is a bug though, so I can look into fixing it.

Spoiler:
ImageImage

Edit:

Seem to have gotten character images and menus (and with lists) working. Looking into textboxes next

Spoiler:

Edit 2:

Textboxes seem to work with lists now.

Spoiler:

Last edited by fartherorbit on Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Art Person

That was fast! You're a legend for looking into this!

1.14.2 released with menu, list, and textbox fixes. (https://gitlab.com/farorbit/pywright-gp ... es/V1.14.2)

I didn't know this project was still active, the forum notification system seems broken :-/.
Anyway, I may give it a check, even the scrolling function which is known for having issues looks neat. I have to check if this version has all the goodies I need. Don't like the new fonts tho, thankfully these can be easily changed and adjusted.

The new fonts were mostly for unicode support. Of course feel free to change them if you want like you said. All of the original fonts should still be included.

V1.14.3 released with possible partial fix for some scroll effect issues.
(https://gitlab.com/farorbit/pywright-gp ... /releases/)

I love that you are continuing PyWright and moving to Py3 so I will give some critique I think is necessary.

When I go to the games section, it wants me to download a version of contempt of court from 2013.
So I copy and paste the new version of CoC that I downloaded and put it into the game's section, but copying CoC breaks everything for some reason, so I am not able to play it at all.

The fonts for evidence/profiles are too big, they escape the screen.

Changing the resolution via the options menu doesn't work, it goes back to 1920x1072 or whatever it was.

And an additional thing I'd think be worth implementing that was also wrong in the original pyWright is that when you press the big button without releasing, mousing over the button still has the push-down color. It'd also be nice to see push-down colors for the other buttons like evidence/profile.

Thank you for the bug reports. I somewhat knew about the file structure and the game list issues listed below, but the rest are new to me.

Quote:
When I go to the games section, it wants me to download a version of contempt of court from 2013.

That is because the list of games is still the old one from the PyWright site.

Quote:
So I copy and paste the new version of CoC that I downloaded and put it into the game's section, but copying CoC breaks everything for some reason, so I am not able to play it at all.

That was a serious bug. It was because PyWright 0.988 used a different file structure than 0.99, so I updated it to use 0.99's file structure and convert old games to the new one. It should be fixed in the next major release. (1.15.x)

Quote:
The fonts for evidence/profiles are too big, they escape the screen.

I've looked at that menu hundreds of times and never noticed that somehow. I'll probably take a look into that next.

Quote:
Changing the resolution via the options menu doesn't work, it goes back to 1920x1072 or whatever it was.

And an additional thing I'd think be worth implementing that was also wrong in the original pyWright is that when you press the big button without releasing, mousing over the button still has the push-down color. It'd also be nice to see push-down colors for the other buttons like evidence/profile.

Possibly look into these two after.

Edit:

Fixed new default font for Profiles/Evidence

Will probably be in the next point release.

Pygame automatically adjust the resolution when you resize the screen, so that is why it changes. I probably won't make the resolution be kept after pygame resizes because I'm not really sure what the purpose of that would be.

Evidence/Profile button press highlight should be fixed. It will most likely be in the next point release.

Spoiler:

Last edited by fartherorbit on Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:11 am, edited 4 times in total.

Version 1.15.0 released upgrading to PyWright 0.99's file structure. (https://gitlab.com/farorbit/pywright-gp ... es/V1.15.0)
Old projects should have there directories automatically fixed. PLEASE backup your games/important files (with regard to PyWright) before updating just in case.

Last edited by fartherorbit on Wed Jan 20, 2021 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Version 1.15.1 released upgrading to PyWright 0.99's file structure. (https://gitlab.com/farorbit/pywright-gp ... es/V1.15.1)
Same advice applies for any version 1.15+ if you haven't upgraded to 1.15+ yet. PLEASE backup your games/important files (with regard to PyWright) before updating just in case.

Added fixes for profile button press highlighting and profile button text size.

Wow, you were really fast! A lot of good improvements in almost no time, I'm impressed!

So a few more things, the dist doesn't come with the art folder so this error occurs:
Pasting the art folder from 0.98 fixes this, but I suspect the problem is just the image icon.

Quote:
That is because the list of games is still the old one from the PyWright site.

An idea about the old versions is that maybe you should add a warning that says that the versions might be out of date,
especially since the games download never worked for 0.98 so I guess he never bothered to update them.

A more serious problem is that now the evidence_pressed button can't be found on CoC, so it breaks the game.
I think this should be fixable without changing it in every PW game.

Also, a technichal question. What is the "color tinting problem" that appears with the newer versions of NumPy? Is it still there for 1.19.4? Also, PyGame is on version 2.0.1. :phoenix:

Great job!
If you'd welcome it then I'd love to make some pull requests in the future when I'm less busy.

These both seem to be the same issue.

1.15.3 released with art folder fix. (https://gitlab.com/farorbit/pywright-gp ... es/V1.15.3)

Quote:
Also, a technichal question. What is the "color tinting problem" that appears with the newer versions of NumPy? Is it still there for 1.19.4? Also, PyGame is on version 2.0.1.

I'm not sure what exactly you mean. If you are talking about the tinting issue for 3D that was talked about farther up the thread, that should be fixed. If you are talking about an issue with the tinting/grayscale system, there could possibly be one. I have made some changes/fixes to that system, but I haven't heard anything about newer version of numpy having tinting issues.

1.15.4 released with new version script and update to Pygame 2.0.1. (https://gitlab.com/farorbit/pywright-gp ... es/V1.15.4)

Quote:
I'm not sure what exactly you mean. If you are talking about the tinting issue for 3D that was talked about farther up the thread, that should be fixed. If you are talking about an issue with the tinting/grayscale system, there could possibly be one. I have made some changes/fixes to that system, but I haven't heard anything about newer version of numpy having tinting issues.

I haven't had any issues, but it says so in the readme
Quote:
You will need the following:
Python 3
Pygame 2.0.0 (at least dev6)
NumPy 1.6.2
The reason why a older version needs to be used(as of this writing the most recent version is 1.10) because of the color tinting problem.
If you suffer from this, use the suggested version. Otherwise, a new NumPy could be used.

The readme is out of date. I added some new notes and changed some things. The changes should be included in the next point release.

Quote:
The readme is out of date. I added some new notes and changed some things. The changes should be included in the next point release.

I figured.
Anyway, now I've had time to test the new version, and it works! Great job.

Might I suggest going back to the original fonts when using ASCII? The talking text doesn't really look so good:
Neither the place text, and this has the additional bug of the white square inside the rectangle.
I'm sure you see the white square, which is a bug that's always been there.

Another bug that's always been there is that the hitbox for the Court Record/Profile/Evidence is way bigger than the button itself, which I've marked.

And when you have two screens in one stage you get the following bug when examining on the second screen:
Spoiler: Big image

Also pressing "move" when you're on the second screen gives a similar bug:
Spoiler: Big image

Please tell me if you think I post too much!

EDIT:
Another super quick thing I forgot to mention, you forgot to add the select marking on Court record (record_high.png):
And for some reason the SFX is set at default 10%, which I guess is just your settings that made it's way into the repo.

Last edited by Scoopa on Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Art Person

Hi Scoopa, just letting you know the bottom screen background issue is one of those things are actually just missing in the coding of the game.
To add the background for the move list, just set the bottom screen image in the code with:
"bg (imagename) y=192 stack" and it should fix it.

Also the CR button hitbox is based on the image being used for it. If you want a smaller hitbox, you'll need a smaller image (which inevitably will be rectangular because the nature of png images.)

I don't feel like you are posting too much. Honestly, I really appreciate the bug reports because I feel like I unconsciously
ignore some of these bugs.

Along with what SuperAj3 said above.

I don't really have a good way of telling if text is ACII only, but I increased the list and textbox font size by 1. I feel it looks better now. (though it is still kinda wonky)

Spoiler:
ImageImage

You may need to load a new save or go to a new scene for the font to update.

The white square really stumped me...until I realized it was part of Contempt of Court's Files. The item box they use has it for...some reason. I honestly don't know why. You can replace it with the same image from the art folder (without the white box) or use this one I fixed.

The show and hide court record commands where switched for some menus and for examine. I switched them to be correct now, so they should work.

I'm not planning to add the court record pressed image because the court record opens as soon as the button is pressed. (not after release)

You are right. My settings were copied into the release. I set the sfx back at 100.

These fixes should be in the next point release.

Last edited by fartherorbit on Thu Jan 21, 2021 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Version 1.15.6 released with menu, music, and list fixes. (https://gitlab.com/farorbit/pywright-gp ... es/V1.15.6) Also, sorry about the images, my hosting provider closed. Maybe I can find them somewhere.

Last edited by fartherorbit on Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Page 1 of 2 [ 60 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2  Next

Board index » Present Evidence » Games