Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus

Page 2 of 21[ 818 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Re: Ghost Fables ~ Living Thread PrologueTopic%20Title

Ingrid lifts up on the crossbar, removing it from the braces easily. Some people on the outside of the tomb test opening and closing the door. As expected it's trivial to do without the bar bracing the door in place. The door doesn't swing to the outside of the tomb of course. Ingrid places the crossbar back in the braces and the door doesn't budge an inch, no matter how hard they push. The braces are very secure--the construction workers have earned a tip for sure.

Mia and Fritz look at the altar. It seems to be normal. Mia knocks on it and the sound is as solid as the rest of the tomb, indicating it's probably not hollowed.

Looking around there doesn't appear to be any obvious place to hide.

"What if he's trying to tell us something?" Ingrid turned back to her friend and brother, though she didn't really seem to be listening to either. "I mean, maybe we shouldn't dismiss this as just Gideon being... Gideon."

Sleeping is my life.

"Well, I'm not surprised that Gideon would wants his tomb to be designed like a locked room." Harley said as he finished looking around the tomb. "Besides, it doesn't seems like there's anything odd about this tomb, other than what we noted..."

"Anyhow, how much longer do we have to look around? It'd be great if we can finish up quicker... I need to take my family home soon. " He added on quietly as he glances over to Gideon's coffin and then to the unfinished wall.

Sock

Agnes stood at a bit of a distance, not as eager to search like the others, though she was still putting in effort to investigate.

"...Maybe he did leave something. Maybe father wanted to..." Agnes mumbled and hanged her head before shaking it. "What is there to hide here, anyways?"

"I will do my best to accommodate your timeline, Harley," Meta says, taking another glance at the crisp sheet of stationary in her hands.

"All I can say is Gideon requested you to attend. Perhaps he's simply taking a moment to assure you there will be no fishy business," Meta smiles inscrutably. Seems like she won't be giving any hints if she even has hints to give.

Lynde gives the entire setup a very meticulous going over, running his fingers over every inch he can physically reach, likely getting in other people's ways. Once he is finished with this he declares very solemnly "Solid." And then proceeds to stand back admire the equipment of the construction workers.

Sleeping is my life.

"Thank you, madam." Harley said in response to Meta as he nods at her.

He looks at the people who were still in the tomb before taking one last look at Gideon's coffin. Then he steps out the unfinished wall and runs over to join his wife and sons. He simply wanted to enjoy the quiet moment with his family.

DootDootDoot wrote:
"What if he's trying to tell us something?" Ingrid turned back to her friend and brother, though she didn't really seem to be listening to either. "I mean, maybe we shouldn't dismiss this as just Gideon being... Gideon."

"Hmm, I guess it's possible..." Mia crossed her arms and furrowed her brow. "Tell us what, though?"

Happy Maria

Edna continued to remain silent. While she wasn't actively examining the tomb, she did appear to be contemplating something, standing by the side with her eyes darting around everywhere. If she had something she wanted to say she wasn't saying it though.

Shy guy

"If he was trying to tell us something, maybe it was 'keep out'!" Verrier suggested, leaving Albrecht muttering by the door and moving towards the centre of the tomb. "'Stay out of my head, my secrets are mine and mine alone.' He's inviting us to poke and pry, but we won't find anything, and soon the tomb will be locked for all but him."

He paused, mulling it over with the same unreadable smile as always. "Or maybe he was just paranoid! In case he was interred while still alive, he would be able to get out like this, while still preventing miscreants from getting into the tomb."

[Rainymood]

After some more inspection by others, it was clear there was not much of interest.

“Wait!” Julia shouted. “I need to grab something!”

She ran inside. Some of the others were not happy to be waiting in the rain, but they obliged regardless. She came back with something rectangular wrapped in a blanket. Stepping inside the tomb, she leaned it against the altar and then unfurled it.

It was a painting of Gideon. Julia explained she had gotten it commissioned for his birthday but did not get the chance to give it to him.

“Oh Julia… I’m sure he would’ve loved it.” Edna smiled weakly through tears. It was an appropriate gift, especially since Gideon had started to prefer paintings to photos.

Meta made sure to instruct them to put the crossbar back into the braces and then they all stepped out of the tomb for the last time. After that, the construction workers set a tent up to cover the tomb from the rain. Then they got the left wall into place, and began applying cement to seal it completely.

A few people pushed on the door, attempting to open it. As expected, it didn’t budge.

[Scene Music]

Everybody stood watching the tomb for a while. They almost expected Gideon to walk outside of the tomb, and cruelly laugh at them for falling for his prank. But nothing of the sort happened. The tomb was completely still, properly fulfilling its job as Gideon’s final resting place.

Ingrid rested her hand on the door, as if trying to feel a heartbeat. Of course there was nothing but silence.

In the midst of all the rain, tears began to fall.

---------------------------------------------------------

6:00 PM

The downpour had increased heavily, so everybody had to go inside eventually. They called the port on the mainland, who informed them that they would have to wait until the storm passed in the morning. This kind of thing happened before, and they even expected it might today. But given everyone’s busy schedules it was usually better to go to Geistfabel regardless and be marooned for a day than to reschedule.

Harley was very unhappy about this, reminding everyone he warned them this would happen. The construction workers were also not pleased at all, but after a promise of a meal later and overtime pay they quietly retreated to rooms prepared for them in the guesthouse.

The family mainly hung about in the parlor for the time being. There wasn’t much to do but catch up with each other.

Happy Maria

Edna had calmed down somewhat since returning, taking a seat for herself in the parlor. Seeing the painting of her husband that Julia commissioned had seemed to have brought her some amount of levity.

"I am... quite sorry for this", she murmured, referring to the storm that was now keeping everybody inside overnight. "I hope you all won't mind your stay here tonight... I shall make sure that you all will have a wonderful rest, of course."

She cleared her throat. "I also apologise for my silence. I... have had a lot on my mind these weeks, hence why I have not been able to speak to many people as of late. I hope that you are all doing well, though."

She smiled at the others apologetically.

1000% Knight

Raphael sat silently by the fire. He had gone out with the family to view the mausoleum (although he did nothing but stand around to side) but returned to the house shortly after the rain started, so his cloak was already almost dry.

With the mask, it was obviously impossible to see how Raphael felt being so close to that which had caused him so much misery and strife. (He had chosen the seat himself, however.) The light from the fire caused the gold design on his mask to sparkle and dance.
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

"... Tomb of Lost Souls almost fits, but the mausoleum had a window and an improvised barricade instead of a lock. It wouldn't work at all. But the victim..." Ingrid thought out loud, quickly flipping through the pages of said book she had taken from one of the many bookshelves in the manor.

The fire illuminated a glint in her eyes the rest of the family hadn't seen in a long time.

Shy guy

Albrecht rudely harrumphed at Edna's words, before gazing around the room.

Verrier, meanwhile, was back to his usual position standing behind Albrecht's wheelchair. With nothing new to investigate he seemed to have lost interest.

Sleeping is my life.

Harley joined the group in the parlor after some time being absent. He doesn't looks very happy about what was happening right now.

"Man... I'm glad that my family and I don't live on the island of Geistfabel for one thing; the freaking weather stranded us." Harley said as he takes a seat and taking in the warmth of the fire. He let out a annoyed sigh. "Christina's not happy about this at all. This pretty much affected our original schedule..." Of course, the rest of the family knew what Harley was talking about.

No other way than to make this mistake.

Juna walked in during Edna's speech after taking care of some chores, deciding to lean on a nearby wall. This time she was at least closer to the rest of the family. "Time heals most wounds, ma'am," she precises, with a raised finger and smile. She looks around for a helpful hand, "As we can tell by the rest of the room, right?"

1000% Knight

Anyone watching Raphael might have noticed his head droop after hearing Juna’s words.

Juna realized the faux pas and started sweating a little.

Happy Maria

Edna appeared a little defeated seeing everyone ignore her words, shrinking back into her seat a bit. Juna's reassurance made her feel a little better at least.

Seeing Ingrid flip through the book, her eyes widened as if she recalled something. "Ah... Actually, I just remembered. With the construction workers staying here overnight, we might not have enough room for everybody here... Some people might have to share a room together, I'm afraid." She looked towards Verrier. "Doctor, you're going to have to have to share a room with your... patient." She nervously glanced at Albrecht. "And Ingrid! Er... You don't mind sharing a room with Mia, yes? I'd hope that, considering the two of you were roommates, you, er... would get along well, yes?"

She tried to give her a timid grin.

Southern Corn wrote:
Seeing Ingrid flip through the book, her eyes widened as if she recalled something. "Ah... Actually, I just remembered. With the construction workers staying here overnight, we might not have enough room for everybody here... Some people might have to share a room together, I'm afraid." She looked towards Verrier. "Doctor, you're going to have to have to share a room with your... patient." She nervously glanced at Albrecht. "And Ingrid! Er... You don't mind sharing a room with Mia, yes? I'd hope that, considering the two of you were roommates, you, er... would get along well, yes?"

She tried to give her a timid grin.

Ingrid's reading paused for a moment. She looked up at Edna, but immediately after turned her focus back to the book and curtly answered "Of course. I wouldn't mind at all."

Rookie Killer

Bad Player wrote:
"...I suppose I am as fine as could be expected, considering the circumstances," Raphael replied slowly, slightly muffled by the mask but still fully comprehensible. His voice was sullen, but did not seem to hold much (if any) grief. It is left to the listener to discern whether the "circumstances" Raphael mentioned are Gideon's death or his own personal situation. "How are you?"

Raphael's response seemed to at least somewhat comfort Heinrich, but a lot of awkwardness still remained, "Well... I'm um… very glad to hear that. As for me, well as you can see, my age is starting to catch up with me, “he laughed as he pointed to the cane he was holding, “but things are generally going well. Maybe next time I can talk to you about my last hunting trip, eh?”

After he finished conversing with his grandson, he went with the rest of the family to the tomb. However, after looking around for a bit, he quickly paid his final respects and went back to the parlour.

“Don’t you worry, this isn’t the first storm I’ve had to deal with on this island and regrettably, it probably won’t be my last.” Heinrich responded to Edna noticing her shrink back and, unsubtly foreshadowed future events, “Take all the time you need Edna. Gideon’s death has taken a toll on all of us, so your reaction is perfectly understandable. It’s a real shame that he wasn’t really around for the past couple of years, but I’m sure he wanted the best for you and Agnes.” Heinrich’s words were a bit cheesy, but he seemed to be affectionate and sincere about what he said.

Last edited by Winston Payne on Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

“Naturally, you would have a lot on your mind, Edna. I’m sure everyone here understands that you are feeling loss and uncertainty from the many unfinished projects Gideon left us, and so you deserve everyone’s patience and cooperation in dealing with them.” Meta nods so deeply it could be considered a bow in Edna’s direction. “I am certainly fine to stay in the mansion as long as the bed is soft.”

Happy Maria

"T-thank you all." Edna sniffled, getting emotional at all the support. "I-I appreciate your patience in this matter... quite a lot."

fella

"I don't mind having to share a room with someone. I guess I can just bunk with my mom and dad, if anything," Erik mused, glancing toward Edna with a solemn look in his eyes. "And don't worry about trying to make us comfortable or whatever, okay? Worry about yourself and Agnes; you deserve that luxury. You're grieving the loss of your husband, and should take time to do that. We're all adults here, so I'm sure we'll be fine. The hospitality is appreciated, though, really."

A small smile graced his face as he tried to reassure the clearly not vibing widow.

Sock

Agnes silently sat near the fire, twiddling her thumbs and staring into the flames. She had cried plenty already, and couldn't find any more tears to shed. She lifelessly stared off into space, almost as if she was all alone in the world.

"Oh, yes, time does heal most wounds!" Lynde piped up extremly belatedly, and not even almost noticing the social faux pas he was currently engaging in.

"Why, I barely even think about the first time I lost a father. Don't even remember his name." Lynde said, giving an appreciative smile at Juna.

Shy guy

Anyone looking at Verrier just then might have noticed him wince, for some reason. He tried to pass it off by speaking to Albrecht. "Master, do you have the time?"

Albrecht checked his wrist habitually, but found it bare. "What? What's going on here?" he demanded.

"Oh! My mistake, master. Water got spilled on your watch, so we left it to dry." Verrier explained, recalling the incident. Albrecht had fumbled while holding a glass, spilling water everywhere. It was unclear if he recalled the incident now though, as he just narrowed his eyes in vague suspicion. "There must be another timepiece around here... ah, there we go!" He spied a clock on a mantlepiece, confirming the time. "I thought as much. It's time for your heart medication, master."

"Again?" Albrecht complained, though he allowed Verrier to fetch the bottle from the wheelchair's storage compartment. Nitroglycerin, presumably for his heart. He swallowed down the dose mechanically, clearly well used to it by now. "Bloody medicine... You know what medicine is? A sign of weakness! We're a higher species, we should be strong enough to stay alive through our own faculties by now!" he grumbled nonsensically, as Verrier put the bottle back.

1000% Knight

“Perhaps that’s exactly why,” Raphael suddenly spoke up coldly. “You still have the story of Icarus bouncing around in that head of yours, don’t you? You know what happens when one flies too high.”

Shy guy

"What? Quiet, you! You're a living example of humanity's still-present weakness!" Albrecht snapped back. Verrier began fanning him nervously. "Just imagine, with the right science we could have fireproof skin! You know what Icarus's problem was? He was an idiot! The true message behind that story is to never settle for imperfection. With strong enough wings, he could have flown past the sun and into the realm of the gods! Yet we've become so complacent these days..."

"Oh!" Mia chirped in surprise at Edna's suggestion. "Um, yes, of course I don't mind sharing with Ingrid. But, um..."

She clicked her tongue as she glanced around the parlor. "Is, uh, there a phone I can use? I should call the office to let them know I might be late tomorrow..."

1000% Knight

KamiPanda wrote:
"What? Quiet, you! You're a living example of humanity's still-present weakness!" Albrecht snapped back. Verrier began fanning him nervously. "Just imagine, with the right science we could have fireproof skin! You know what Icarus's problem was? He was an idiot! The true message behind that story is to never settle for imperfection. With strong enough wings, he could have flown past the sun and into the realm of the gods! Yet we've become so complacent these days..."

“Y’know, I think I’m starting to agree with you,” Raphael responded, an edge creeping into his voice. “After all, if you’re correct, then you should fire Verrier and stop taking your medicine, right? I bet I’m not the only one starting to see the virtues of your philosophy.”

Shy guy

Albrecht cackled at that. "If only! If humanity could only work together towards that goal, maybe I'd have never needed medicine! But here we are. Divided, uncoordinated, directionless. We'll never make progress like this. Everyone dreams of evolving into a superior race, yet so few have the drive to try and achieve it. It's as pitiful as it is infuriating."

Happy Maria

"Oh, um, yes! Of course!" Edna meekly responded to Mia's query. "There should be a phone in the hall... Juna, could you show her there for me?" She requested the servant respectfully.

HonestIago wrote:
"Oh, yes, time does heal most wounds!" Lynde piped up extremly belatedly, and not even almost noticing the social faux pas he was currently engaging in.

"Why, I barely even think about the first time I lost a father. Don't even remember his name." Lynde said, giving an appreciative smile at Juna.

Juna raised an eyebrow and gave a slightly awkward smile, "That's a bit depressing still; I told you you have to keep in mind what you lost to move on," She added, before shifting her gaze over to Verrier with a hint of pity in her eyes as Albrecht ranted.

Lastly, she ended up looking at the old man towards the end of his rant instead. "The people in positions of power should really do more about that, should they not?" Juna said, in a way that may or may not make her sentence look like a slight.

Shy guy

"Oh, we tried, trust me," Albrecht muttered darkly. "Then the Allies put a stop to all that. All our research opportunities, lost in a moment. Humanity's darkest hour, though few even realise."

Rookie Killer

KamiPanda wrote:
Albrecht cackled at that. "If only! If humanity could only work together towards that goal, maybe I'd have never needed medicine! But here we are. Divided, uncoordinated, directionless. We'll never make progress like this. Everyone dreams of evolving into a superior race, yet so few have the drive to try and achieve it. It's as pitiful as it is infuriating."

Heinrich was startled by his brother's rant but nevertheless still tried to engage with him, "Albrecht, I do think that you're very right about the importance of unity but-"
KamiPanda wrote:
"Oh, we tried, trust me," Albrecht muttered darkly. "Then the Allies put a stop to all that. All our research opportunities, lost in a moment. Humanity's darkest hour, though few even realise."

Albrecht's next statement evidently made Heinirch very uncomfortable because as soon he heard it, he made a slight grimace and stopped talking.

1000% Knight

Winston Payne wrote:
Albrecht's next statement evidently made Heinirch very uncomfortable because as soon he heard it, he made a slight grimace and stopped talking.

“Grandfather, is your brother making you feel uncomfortable? Don’t worry, I have it on good authority that time will heal that wound,” Raphael said patronizingly.

He abruptly stood up. “Bring my dinner to my room,” he declared, to no one in particular, as if this was not already standard practice for his visits to Geistfabel. He walked towards the door, but stopped on the way next to Juna. “Not you,” he said, without turning towards her. He then proceeded out the room.

Juna watched Raphael leave, utterly shellshocked -- but to be fair, she was also shellshocked at Albrecht's comment earlier.

She responded by murmuring 'time better spent elsewhere', clicking her tongue and looking at the rest of the family, "Is there a servant he likes more than me?"

Sleeping is my life.

"Well, I don't mind sleeping with my family only for this night." Harley said after hearing Edna explains the situation regarding the construction workers.

"Still, I might get a late start on my business. And my boys probably may not be able to make it to school on time..." He said quietly as he looks around his surroundings, still sitting. "Why'd it have to be today of all places? Any other day would have been fine, but..."

He muttered something to himself before shaking his head and letting out a sigh.
Page 2 of 21 [ 818 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 21  Next

Board index » Roleplay » Berry Big Circus