Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » The Hydeout (GS4)

Page 1 of 4[ 148 posts ]
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Mayaaaaa ! Come baaaack !Topic%20Title

..........bark?

Location: Paris, France (yeah i'm a frenchie, get over it... ^^)

Heya people ! I'm still playing Apollo Justice, and I'm at the last case (why is the game so short by the way ? ) And I whas wondering if maya and pearl made an appearance any time during the game. Because I would love to see tem again... (man, I'm such an Otaku, crying over imaginary characters...)

Thx in advance for your response.

:maya: :pearl: <==Missing in action.
Objection your honor ! Capcom is FAR to slow in the making of Gyakuten saiban 5 !
Re: Mayaaaaa ! Come baaaack !Topic%20Title

Spoiler: Entire game
Nope. The only allusion we get to either of them being around is the conversation with Phoenix in 4-2 when you examine his stack of DVDs in his hospital room. He says a "kid" he knows sent him a bunch of Samurai shows.

..........bark?

:hotti:
Spoiler:
well rats. Hope they'll be in the next GS or I swear I'm gonna sue capcom.

thanks for your answer, much obliged.
Objection your honor ! Capcom is FAR to slow in the making of Gyakuten saiban 5 !

Lives in a box mansion

DUBBLE POST O NOES.
Her likelihood of showing up is about the same as old Edgey's. It's not too plausible, but some of us retain hope, 'cause with Capcom, you never know. JUST KEEP SWIMMING.

So moe for Makoto it's funny.

I miss Maya.

Trucy just can't replace her, no matter how they try :(
Image (Awesome sig art by Axl99!)

Justice :D :D

Same here,

maya = cute asian girl ^^) <3

trucy = cute girl ^^) <3

U get the difference.
ImageThank you Elriel for this amazing sig!!

Justice without force is powerless; force without justice is tyrannical
- Blaise Pascal

Excellent

Both Trucy and Maya are Japanese depending what version you play. :P

Maya's my favoruite character of all time, there's rarely a time when she fails to raise at least a smile for me.

But I wouldn't want to see her there just for the sake of it. Maybe a case set in Kurain Village again, Maya as the Master and Pearl with her. Would be nice and would fit in smoothly.

I wouldn't have minded Maya and Pearls's absence so much if they had given us a reason. Even a hand wave would've been something ("they're off doing medium training in a remote location and will be impossible to contact for a while" would have worked). It would at least explain why they never showed up in the Mason System.

True love is forever.

Lord Seth wrote:
I wouldn't have minded Maya and Pearls's absence so much if they had given us a reason. Even a hand wave would've been something ("they're off doing medium training in a remote location and will be impossible to contact for a while" would have worked). It would at least explain why they never showed up in the Mason System.

Spoiler: 4-2
They do hint at the fact that they're still around in 4-2 even if Maya and Pearl aren't mentioned by name.

Spoiler: 3-5, 4-4
As for their absence in the Mason System, why would they have been included in it? Maya had taken over as Master by the time of the trial and I imagine Phoenix, who is by this point an experienced attorney, figured he could make it through one day of trial without Maya (and we know he took the case last minute). Besides, we were never given the indication that he went looking for Maya to help him in the past, but that she helped him when she was there. Also, Maya can't simply abandon her post, particularly not after all the talk in 3-5 about her taking her responsibilities seriously. We know spirit channeling took off after T&T, so I imagine that Maya is very busy and while I don't doubt that she was around, she couldn't simply have turned her back on her duties even if she wanted to do so. Also, there is simply a lot of time not covered in it where they could have been around for moral support, but there wasn't anything they could have done for him after he lost his badge. They're most likely in Kurain keeping busy with spirit medium stuff and watching the Steel Samurai (well at least Maya is <_<).

Honestly, I think Maya is great, but she could get on my nerves at time. I prefer Trucy. :minuki:
Proud Supporter of Phoenix/Iris, Ron/Dessie, Klavier/Ema, and Apollo/Vera
Fanfics Updated-12/25

At least Maya was a character with a little bit of depth to her and not a thinly veiled cardboard cutout. An adorable thinly veiled cardboard cutout with some great lines, no doubt about that.

And I don't believe for even a second that Maya/Pearl/Edgeworth wouldn't come even just try to BE there for Phoenix in MASON. It's just really dropping the ball.

True love is forever.

Well, you're entitled to that opinion, but we should be fair. Trucy has had one game while Maya has had three, two of which basically revolved around her and the problems in Kurain. Perhaps a little more time for character development is needed before you pass final judgement on Trucy. I don't recall Maya coming off really deep in the first game. I actually warmed up to Trucy a lot quicker (and I actually didn't think she came off flat at all honestly) than I did to Maya, but that's just my opinion of course.
Spoiler: 4-4
As far as the Mason system goes, there is nothing that suggest they weren't around. The story doesn't even kick in until two weeks after Phoenix loses his badge and there is a ton of time that is simply not covered. The fact that they don't put in a physical appearance in the game which wouldn't have helped to advance the plot and would likely have simply confused any new players by throwing even more information at them, doesn't mean that they weren't around during this period. The game does hint that Phoenix is still in contact with his friends even seven years later, so I can't believe that his friend's weren't around helping on the sidelines.

Fanfics Updated-12/25

Even in just the first game Maya kicks ass.
Spoiler: 1-4, 4-2
Stepping in front of a taser gun and rescuing the vital bullet is way cool, although Mr. Hat threatening Trucy was also cool, too.

Maya displays WAY more development in AA1 than Trucy does in AJ.

1-2, her crying while listening to Mia's voice message is right there more of a range of emotion than Trucy ever displays. Plus, in 1-4, her whole 'feeling useless' which leads to her HOLD IT! to Lotta's testimony (which, unlike a certain Mr. Hat trick, actually has consequences >_> that she knows and accepts) and her grabbing the bullet from Von Karma.

Trucy... we never get any hint of depth beyond "cute, perky, borderline perfect, everybody loves her, and she has some great one-liners." The only time is when Phoenix SAYS she feels it, and "show, not tell" is like Writing 101 >_>

Blah

Lord Seth wrote:

I have to agree with Lord Seth here. While they could be thinking that they simply did not need to show it on-screen and just assume it was done somewhere offscreen, that just feels a little flat to older fans especially considering they actually had the time to include cameos for Oldbag.

Couldn't we at least have been given a nugget of information on what happened to them?
Spoiler:
Capcom went so far to practically give Phoenix half the game for screentime, but almost no mention at all of his old friends? The most being a reference to someone sending him a ton of tokusatsu videos.

Edgeworth flew in on a special privately-chartered jet the moment he heard something had happened to Phoenix in T&T. You expect us to believe that he wouldn't come flying when he heard Phoenix got disbarred? We could at least have heard something of this it was a real letdown not to even at least hear about them.

True love is forever.

CantFaketheFunk wrote:
Maya displays WAY more development in AA1 than Trucy does in AJ.

1-2, her crying while listening to Mia's voice message is right there more of a range of emotion than Trucy ever displays. Plus, in 1-4, her whole 'feeling useless' which leads to her HOLD IT! to Lotta's testimony (which, unlike a certain Mr. Hat trick, actually has consequences >_> that she knows and accepts) and her grabbing the bullet from Von Karma.

Trucy... we never get any hint of depth beyond "cute, perky, borderline perfect, everybody loves her, and she has some great one-liners." The only time is when Phoenix SAYS she feels it, and "show, not tell" is like Writing 101 >_>

Spoiler: whole game
The mere mention of Zak depresses her repeatedly and I remember well how upset Trucy got in 4-3 when Apollo compares Phoenix's "secret mission" to what the victim had been doing. The thought that she could possibly lose another parent causes her to panic until Phoenix reassures her. Poor little eight year old Trucy, trying so hard to put on a brave face, but talking about her mother and father who had both simply vanished which was clearly very upsetting for her. When Trucy asked Phoenix if he was going to disappear too, I wanted to cry for her. Then with the crying sprite at the end... I really felt for her.

I don't deny that Maya is a good character, but she seems to deal with her sister's death really easily. There are only a few moments of serious sadness and we see it not at all in 1-3. Sure Maya can channel Mia, but there is no way for Maya to speak to her that way, so I would have expected there to be a bit more sadness considering it had only a few months after her sister's death (unlike in Trucy's situation where seven years have passed and she's still having trouble dealing with it at times). Even in 1-4, there really isn't any reference towards how she feels about her sister's passing. And Maya feels useless, but we see no sign of that until 1-4 and perhaps she wouldn't feel useless if she hadn't given up training (something I really respected about Trucy was that she was more focused on her goals then Maya. Maya wants to be a spirit medium and ignores her training, while when Trucy fails at a magic trick in 4-3, she decides that she'll just have to practice more). Overall, Trucy seemed to come off far more mature to me despite being two years younger than Maya in the first game. Something that always annoyed me about Maya was that she never seemed to actually mature. There was a lot of talk about her needing to grow up and there were occasional flashes of maturity, but overall she always acted like she was twelve. Trucy runs the Agency with Phoenix, does her magic show nightly, and helps Apollo with his cases.

Fanfics Updated-12/25

Excellent

Spoiler: everything
I think its unfair to say that Maya never really matured, I think while her personality is all jumpy and happy the end of case 3-5 shows maturity. During the trial its clear the stress had gotten, but at the end when Pearl is around she's keeping a brave and happy face for her sake, because she's seen herself as Pearl's big sister and taking responsibility for it.

As for her sister's death, I believe if the game gave more on an insight to her thoughts rather than Phoenix/Maya talking there'd be more on that but I don't believe there was nothing anyway. Remember, her whole life had been thrown upside down with her sister's death, and now, she was working with a man who had saved her, and someone her sister had held in high regard, there's bound to be some comfort there as well as knowing Mia's always there for her - I'd think as a medium that would come quite naturally to her.

Trucy on the otherhand. I do like her, is just I find Maya inreplacable, even when I replay PW1/2/3 she still makes me laugh and it something Trucy doesn't seem to have at the moment. But like you said, Maya has had 3 games Trucy has one.

Quote:

Spoiler: JFA/AJ
I'd have to agree. It's a bit like Franziska's breakdown at the end of JFA, but instead of being built up and quite surprising, for AJ, its just Phoenix:

"Oh yeah by the way, Trucy gets sad sometimes. Look, she's crying! She's sad!"

(ace attorney gremlin mode activated)

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Spoiler: Entire game
Nope. The only allusion we get to either of them being around is the conversation with Phoenix in 4-2 when you examine his stack of DVDs in his hospital room. He says a "kid" he knows sent him a bunch of Samurai shows.

We all know who that is XDDD

I was so grateful for that :)
My (not spoiler-free) Ace Attorney doodle blog

Harvey Dent: Ace Attorney

At this point I do prefer Trucy over Maya. Maybe its just the fact that after 3 games Maya started to get on my nerves...
Spoiler: all games
not through much fault of her own but mainly because the team decided she had to get in trouble all the time. Accused of murder, kidnapped, trapped, the damsel in distress. If that wasn't happening she just seemed to be there to channel Mia. Its odd in that she helped you out, as an assistant not a spirit medium, in the first game far more than in the 2nd of 3rd ones where she seemed to be regulated to ditzy girl continually in trouble. I agree with mia_fey in that Trucy seems a lot more focused on her goals than Maya and she manages to act more mature and yet at the same time acts far more believably than Maya did when you consider their ages. Of course Maya's naivety is part of her charm, but I liked Trucy for the fact she was an ordinary (fairly ordinary) 15 year old girl who had some very hard situations and responsibilities placed on her shoulders and dealt with them the best she could.

I guess what I should be saying is the 2nd and 3rd games made Maya seem annoying. The fact she never seemed to help you, got in trouble too much and still had the same personality and lack of direction was just...frustrating. If I was to compare GS1 to GS4 then yes I actually probably prefer Maya.

Ready to RAWK!?

mad_chiwa wrote:

Isn't it ironic that Missing In Action's abbreviation is "M.I.A"?
Image Image Image Image
Posted by Request.
Sig by Elriel. Avatar taken from a YouTube video of Rawk Hawk's Theme.
Sig changed on December 08, 2008. Avatar changed on December 14, 2008.

True love is forever.

MetroidOnIce wrote:
Spoiler: everything
I think its unfair to say that Maya never really matured, I think while her personality is all jumpy and happy the end of case 3-5 shows maturity. During the trial its clear the stress had gotten, but at the end when Pearl is around she's keeping a brave and happy face for her sake, because she's seen herself as Pearl's big sister and taking responsibility for it.

As for her sister's death, I believe if the game gave more on an insight to her thoughts rather than Phoenix/Maya talking there'd be more on that but I don't believe there was nothing anyway. Remember, her whole life had been thrown upside down with her sister's death, and now, she was working with a man who had saved her, and someone her sister had held in high regard, there's bound to be some comfort there as well as knowing Mia's always there for her - I'd think as a medium that would come quite naturally to her.

But if you're going to judge Trucy solely by what we see in the game, shouldn't we judge Maya by the same standard (based around the first game's development of her character alone to be fair)?
During the third game, we do see flashes of maturity in Maya and I admitted as much, but we don't really see anything more than that and we don't even see those flashes of maturity until the third game. During the first and second in particular, she never seems to grow up any. Besides, by nineteen we should be seeing more than flashes of maturity.

You seem to concede that the game doesn't go into Maya's feelings after 1-2 despite the fact that Mia's death should still have been fresh, so based on the first game Maya's character does seem to lack some serious development. We can make up anything we want about how she's feeling about Mia's death in the first game, but if you're going to judge Trucy strictly by what we see in the game then its only fair to do the same with Maya. Besides, again compare the time frames. We see no reaction from Maya only a couple months after her sister's death, but we do see periods of sadness from Trucy who has had seven years to deal with her own pain. I have an easier time believing that Trucy managed to cope with losing her father over seven years (and she had Phoenix as her adoptive father to help her over that time as well), rather than seeming to be completely over it in a couple months like Maya's reaction to Mia's death. Even if Maya takes some comfort in the fact that Mia's spirit is around, I would still have expected that Maya would mention being sad from time to time, but not only do we not see these feelings, we don't even get a brief mention of them. Between PW1 and AJ, I would say that Maya comes out appearing far more flat then Trucy.

MetroidOnIce wrote:
Trucy on the otherhand. I do like her, is just I find Maya inreplacable, even when I replay PW1/2/3 she still makes me laugh and it something Trucy doesn't seem to have at the moment. But like you said, Maya has had 3 games Trucy has one.

Quote:

Spoiler: JFA/AJ
I'd have to agree. It's a bit like Franziska's breakdown at the end of JFA, but instead of being built up and quite surprising, for AJ, its just Phoenix:

"Oh yeah by the way, Trucy gets sad sometimes. Look, she's crying! She's sad!"

But they do address her feelings more than just that throughout the game as I talked about earlier in my last post. Seven years later, the mere mention of her father's name saddens her and we can see how worried she becomes at the thought of losing Phoenix in 4-3. Add in the scenes with young Trucy and I think that there was a lot more in the game then "she gets sad at times" at the end. We know Trucy's distressed over her losses because we can see that she is, but over seven years she's learned to put on a brave face (and we do see it as the sad sprite appears to be covered over by an "I'm okay" and a happy sprite again. There was a great deal more shown in the game about Trucy's feelings then just Phoenix's words.

Fanfics Updated-12/25

Excellent

Quote:
But if you're going to judge Trucy solely by what we see in the game, shouldn't we judge Maya by the same standard (based around the first game's development of her character alone to be fair)?

Ah. You're correct. I do apologize, It was a little bit early in the morning for me to take that post fully in.

Quote:
"she gets sad at times" at

I never really meant it literally like that XD; And thinking about it, I'd have to replay again to see what you mean, although it wasn't that long ago since I have.

Mm. You could be correct on that point, like I said I need to play it again seems a bit vauge now.

Only I really never got that sense at all.

Maya, like Trucy, is in the end surprisingly mature and resilient--don't confuse whimsical and having childish tasts with immaturity. This is more evident in the second and third game when she's got Pearl to watch out for, but to be fair to Trucy, we're only talking about AJ.

Maya comes to terms with Mia's death (only not completely since we see her reaction to Mia-as-Pearl in the end of 2-2 but RIGHT only PW1 XD;) and learns to trust Nick after they've both been through a trial by fire together. They've caught her killer--who also ruined their mother--they've finished that last work of hers, and Nick has proven himself. She was wary of him at first, but *DUN DUN DUN* their relationship developed and she found out she could trust him over the course of the trial.

As opposed to Trucy, who's sad all of twenty seconds before brightening up and returning to her Mr. Hat-popping, cheerful self.

And personally, Trucy annoyed me from the get-go FAR more than Maya ever did. Her relationship with Apollo felt really forced and awkward in 4-2.

I'll ship who I want to :D

Chuffy wrote:
At this point I do prefer Trucy over Maya. Maybe its just the fact that after 3 games Maya started to get on my nerves...
Spoiler: all games
not through much fault of her own but mainly because the team decided she had to get in trouble all the time. Accused of murder, kidnapped, trapped, the damsel in distress. If that wasn't happening she just seemed to be there to channel Mia. Its odd in that she helped you out, as an assistant not a spirit medium, in the first game far more than in the 2nd of 3rd ones where she seemed to be regulated to ditzy girl continually in trouble. I agree with mia_fey in that Trucy seems a lot more focused on her goals than Maya and she manages to act more mature and yet at the same time acts far more believably than Maya did when you consider their ages. Of course Maya's naivety is part of her charm, but I liked Trucy for the fact she was an ordinary (fairly ordinary) 15 year old girl who had some very hard situations and responsibilities placed on her shoulders and dealt with them the best she could.

I guess what I should be saying is the 2nd and 3rd games made Maya seem annoying. The fact she never seemed to help you, got in trouble too much and still had the same personality and lack of direction was just...frustrating. If I was to compare GS1 to GS4 then yes I actually probably prefer Maya.

I agree.. although honestly, I wanted to smack Maya from beginning to end. She was one of those characters that actually kept me from finishing up the games faster (every time she got into trouble, I would groan and rough it out). 3-5 took me far longer than usual, out of all the game cases, sheerly for lack of willingness to play the case.

Yeah, I have to agree with Funk on this. I don't really dislike Trucy or anything, but she just came off as way too peppy and ultra-friendly to me. As soon as you really meet her in 4-2, she's all "Oh hi there stranger, let's hang out and solve mysteries together! <3" and I never got the feeling anything really ever bothered her, which just made her seem less human than Maya.

...Well, that last part isn't entirely true, I guess.
Spoiler: 4-2
She does seem to care about stupid things like losing her magic panties. There was the whole "oh noes, Wocky's gonna die" thing too, which would have meant a little more to me if Wocky had done at least one single thing through the entire case to halfway endear himself to me. I couldn't bring myself to care less about his fatal injury. :lana: But that's getting off-topic.

I still have to play through the last two cases of AJ again to see if I missed something, but I got the impression Maya was like a real person in my first playthrough of PW1.

To all complaining about Maya's damsel-in-distress role...

...again, if you're going to be fair, only AJ to AA1. Hell, I don't think the "Maya's in trouble" got old until 3-5; it was part of what made 2-4 amazing. And in 1-2 it wasn't bad at all. Besides, they've got two games to kidnap/accuse Trucy of murder, and since they're determined to all but copy the Phoenix/Maya dynamic anyway >_>

And yeah, Franzise... it just felt forced and awkward. It got better in the later part of the case, but it really irritated me at first.

nuuuuu, stoooooop

There's already a Maya vs Trucy topic somewhere around here, so I'm not sure it's necessary to hammer out those arguments again. But on the subject of Maya returning, I kind of hope she doesn't, especially if it's just used to placate the fans that miss her.

I just can't imagine what purpose she could fill in the game that would further her characterization any. She's already had three games to grow, and has been through most horrible situations that a lawyer game can throw at you. It's not like anything that happens in Apollo's game could ever affect Maya more deeply or inspire more development in her than the death of her mother right before her eyes.

I would kind of hate to see her again if all we can hope to get is a slightly older version of Maya that's just there for the sake of being there. But if the only way to get her to show some depth of character we haven't seen before is to throw drama at her, I don't want to see that either because I'm sick of Maya being in trouble. So...I really have no idea what purpose she could fill in another Ace Attorney game other than fanservice.
ImageImage

Four is Death

Croik wrote:
There's already a Maya vs Trucy topic somewhere around here, so I'm not sure it's necessary to hammer out those arguments again. But on the subject of Maya returning, I kind of hope she doesn't, especially if it's just used to placate the fans that miss her.

I just can't imagine what purpose she could fill in the game that would further her characterization any. She's already had three games to grow, and has been through most horrible situations that a lawyer game can throw at you. It's not like anything that happens in Apollo's game could ever affect Maya more deeply or inspire more development in her than the death of her mother right before her eyes.

I would kind of hate to see her again if all we can hope to get is a slightly older version of Maya that's just there for the sake of being there. But if the only way to get her to show some depth of character we haven't seen before is to throw drama at her, I don't want to see that either because I'm sick of Maya being in trouble. So...I really have no idea what purpose she could fill in another Ace Attorney game other than fanservice.

Second.

What's so wrong with a little fanservice-y cameo? :hotti:

True love is forever.

CantFaketheFunk wrote:
Only I really never got that sense at all.

Maya, like Trucy, is in the end surprisingly mature and resilient--don't confuse whimsical and having childish tasts with immaturity. This is more evident in the second and third game when she's got Pearl to watch out for, but to be fair to Trucy, we're only talking about AJ.

I'm not confusing them, but to actually believe that she has completely come to terms with her sister's death as much as she seems to in 1-3, it portrays her as emotionless and flat. Even a few comments here and there about how she and her sister used to do this or how she missed it when Mia did this would have shown me that Maya still felt for her sister. Instead, Maya's only reaction to Mia after 1-2 is in relation to channelling her, but no actual emotion is ever shown. There is simply not enough time between those cases for her to show so little emotion even taking Maya's personality into this flatness you keep referencing. It's been seven years and in that time, Trucy has had time to deal with losing her father. The fact that her normal cheerful demeanor breaks even after all those years at the mention of his name shows how deeply Trucy still feels for him. We don't see any sign in the first game that Maya is still upset over her sister's death after 1-2.

CantFaketheFunk wrote:
Maya comes to terms with Mia's death (only not completely since we see her reaction to Mia-as-Pearl in the end of 2-2 but RIGHT only PW1 XD;) and learns to trust Nick after they've both been through a trial by fire together. They've caught her killer--who also ruined their mother--they've finished that last work of hers, and Nick has proven himself. She was wary of him at first, but *DUN DUN DUN* their relationship developed and she found out she could trust him over the course of the trial.

As opposed to Trucy, who's sad all of twenty seconds before brightening up and returning to her Mr. Hat-popping, cheerful self.

And personally, Trucy annoyed me from the get-go FAR more than Maya ever did. Her relationship with Apollo felt really forced and awkward in 4-2.

Pearl wasn't even a thought in the first game, so we can't bring in the idea that Maya was doing it to be strong for her then because she wasn't. She does learn to trust Phoenix through that, but does this mean that she can no longer feel for her sister's death? It's only been a few months and while she may well have accepted it, that doesn't mean that all her feelings are gone or should be gone. Mia was a very important person to Maya and the fact that her death is dismissed so quickly in the game does hurt Maya's character. When I lost my grandfather several years ago, I was able to accept it and deal with it, but that didn't stop me from feeling sad for a while afterward. That's a natural reaction to a big loss. It's just not realistic that Maya shows so little reaction to this huge loss in her life so soon after it happened.

As for Trucy, she has had seven years to not only accept that her father is gone, but also to deal with it in a more complete fashion. She clearly reacts to his memory, but after seven years it would be very unrealistic to see her suddenly break down in tears. Seven years vs. a few months is a very big time difference and as a result, you would expect different reaction. Trucy shows more of a reaction to her father's memory than Maya shows to Mia's memory (after 1-2) despite the fact that Trucy has had far more time to deal with it.

As for Trucy trusting Apollo, Trucy is well aware that Phoenix trusts him and has chosen him to help. Trucy dearly loves and trusts her adoptive father, so why wouldn't she trust someone that she knows her father trusts so much? Besides, Trucy is very trusting by nature. I honestly didn't see that as at all strange.

Fanfics Updated-12/25

Are you saying you'd rather have seen Maya going around being all depressed and emo through the entire PW arc? People react to loss in different ways, and even though we're supposed to be only referencing the first games in each arc, it's very clear that Maya still misses her sister a lot (there isn't much chance to bring it up in the first game after 1-2 but you can present her profile in JfA and T&T.)

As far as Trucy spending seven years getting over losing her father, I remember Phoenix's flashback going something like:

:minuki: My daddy's gone... *sniff*

:phoenix: Hey, cheer up! I'll take care of you!

:minuki: Okay, cool! You're my new daddy now!

I wouldn't exactly call that a long period of mourning.

True love is forever.

Spoiler: 4-4
The Mason system is also abridged and Trucy is really sad during a lot of her part in it. When talking about her father, she gets really sad when she reflects on it and Phoenix scolds herself for bringing it up so soon. Also, she was holding on to her father's promise that he would return eventually and had been told by her dad that she could trust Phoenix. A little girl holding onto her father's parting words isn't hard to believe. Besides, eight year olds can adapt surprisingly quickly and we don't know what else occurred during those seven years. Since she's still sad even seven years later, I imagine that plenty happened behind the scenes that we never saw. It certainly beats the complete lack of emotion from Maya about her sister in the first game. I didn't need to see Maya depressed, but some mention of Mia after 1-2 with some emotional attachment to it would have been nice considering how much she meant to Maya.

Fanfics Updated-12/25

Jammin' like it's 2024

Croik wrote:
So...I really have no idea what purpose she could fill in another Ace Attorney game other than fanservice.

She meets Apollo, sees him as a loser Nick wannabe, hates Apollo instantly and treats him like crap. Apollo has to prove he's a worthy successor to Phoenix whilst trying to work out why this bizarre woman with an obsession over children's television programming hates him so much. It turns out to be a massive plot twist no-one expects - the fact that Maya being Master gives her direct govermental connections should have a lot to do with it somewhere.

Maya's very, very flexible as a character - she's well-known for making snap judgements on people and sticking to them like glue and as Ema has shown, just because a character reveres Phoenix doesn't mean that they'll treat Apollo the same way, although revealing they're connected does seem to give Apollo some limited latitude. It'd be nice to see what happens when Apollo reveals he's connected to Phoenix and this counts for nothing whatsoever for a change.

Also, Maya should adore Trucy and treat her like a niece, purely because it makes her dislike of Apollo even funnier and somewhat ironic.

It's too soon to compare Maya and Trucy, so I'm not going to bother going into detail on that one yet. There's far more to Trucy than meets the eye, which is also true of Maya. Time will tell on this one.
Does we even do these things anymore?

As 2-2 shows, Maya *isn't* completely over Mia's death. Like I was saying, though, she IS able to cope with it, because despite being whimsical and occasionally childish, Maya is surprisingly mature and resilient emotionally. This is further fleshed out in the second and third game when she does have Pearl to watch out for, but it doesn't mean she all of a sudden wasn't like that in the first.

Maya's sister is killed, and we see how this affects her for an entire case before their mutual trial brings her and Phoenix closer together, and he becomes her new surrogate family by their circumstances.

Trucy's father vanishes and abandons her, and we see how this affects her for... 20 seconds before she's back to being bright and perky and cute and suddenly accepting Phoenix as her new Daddy. And frankly, I never got the sense that you mention of her reaction to her father. Sure, we don't see every moment of the seven years after that, she could be feeling sad, just like we don't see every moment between 1-2, 1-3, and 1-4 where Maya could very well be feeling the same. But once again this brings us back to "show, not tell." The only time we ever get a hint of "she's actually not always happy" is when Phoenix exposits it directly to the player, and there it just comes across as a cheap ploy (or at least it did to me).

Like the whole "Shadi was Zak" thing. Presumably, Phoenix told her about it, or else he's a worse father than I thought. It would have been nice to see a reaction to that when he came up during 4-4, though--at least SOME development beyond simply expositing it.

Maya simply comes off as more of a developed character in the first game, even aside from her reaction to Mia's loss (which can be directly compared to Trucy's reaction to her father's loss). She has 1-4 which leads to some of her greatest moments, which is character depth/development that Trucy (and hell, Klavier and Apollo too) sorely lack.

But anyway, Croik has a point, this topic isn't for that. I actually agree with Croik completely--I don't want to see Maya appear just for cameo's sake, especially now that the games and the story should be actually moving on to APOLLO as the main character rather than Phoenix. Maya and Edgeworth should have unquestionably appeared in the game due to Phoenix's presence particularly when dealing with Seven Years Ago, and his story should have ended.

Since the games should hopefully be moving on to Apollo by this point, Maya and Edgeworth and Pearl shouldn't be in it. It's a shame they missed the opportunity when they had it. :/

True love is forever.

But we don't see that Maya isn't over Mia's death until the second game and using three games worth of character development is an unfair comparison to a character who hasn't had the opportunity to be developed to that level.
Spoiler: ending
Also, if anything, the ending indicated to me that the next game would explore Trucy's emotions far more than this game did.

Based on only the first games of both arcs, I found Trucy to be a more well developed and believable character than Maya (no slight to Maya intended here). I agree with the consensus that we are now completely off-topic now though, so we'll agree to disagree on this topic as we have so many others. :)
Fanfics Updated-12/25

But... Trucy *doesn't* develop. She's exactly the same at the end of the game as she was at the beginning, she's exactly the same at the beginning of the game as she was seven years before. Trucy stays the same through the entire game. Maya does not. (And why is it not okay for Maya to mourn for a case before being able to master her emotions and then ostensibly keep them to herself but perfectly fine for Trucy to be upset for all of 20 seconds before doing the same? It's the -exact same situation- with the two. Seriously. >_>)

Sure, you can like Trucy better, she's cute with some great lines. But I don't see how anybody can say she develops more than Maya does in their respective first games, because... frankly, they don't.

Maya:

1-2: Doesn't trust Phoenix at first, broken up over her sister's death. By the end, their common trial and ties to Mia bring them together, she comes to trust him and he becomes her surrogate family.
1-3: Filler case, but we learn about Maya's love for the Steel Samurai (not all that important and hardly 'development,' just saying) and sets up her being unable to call Mia when Nick needs her to, so she starts to feel useless.
1-4: Her feelings of helplessness/uselessness and being unable to do anything to help save Edgeworth lead to her HOLD IT! to Lotta's testimony when Phoenix can't do anything because he'll be held in contempt of court. She does this willingly, knowing that SHE'LL be the one charged with contempt of court. Similarly, when she later nabs the crucial bullet from Von Karma in the encounter at the police station.

Trucy:

4-2: Cheerful, becomes friendly (a bit too friendly IMO but that's up to everyone's own opinion) with Apollo. Talks about her magic, has cute and silly one-liners, thinks Klavier is hot.
4-3: Cheerful, friendly with Apollo. Talks about her magic, has cute and silly one-liners, thinks Klavier is hot.
4-4: Cheerful, friendly with Apollo. Talks about her magic, has cute and silly one-liners, probably still thinks Klavier is hot.
Flashback: Cheerful, immediately accepts Phoenix as her surrogate father after barely 20 seconds of being upset over Zak's disappearance. Talks about her magic, has cute and silly one-liners, hasn't met Klavier yet.

Trucy doesn't develop :/

(Also, I looked, and I couldn't find a thread suited for this >_>)

..........bark?

Wrestlemania wrote:
mad_chiwa wrote:

Isn't it ironic that Missing In Action's abbreviation is "M.I.A"?

duuude... That IS ironic. You have a magic bracelet to find out this sort of stuff ?

Love, learn, live.

I give Capcom a thumbs up for trying with Trucy. But it's just not the same without Maya. Sure Trucy would help out occassionally. But Maya saved Phoenix's skin more than once, and she was always there when Phoenix needed Mia.

Four is Death

I never like Maya after 1-4.

Chaos wolf

But... but... wahhh? 1-4 is really where Maya "came of age"... for the reasons already mentioned. Seriously sticking her neck on the line for Nick.

As the saying goes, I like Trucy but there's only one :maya:
Lie with passion and be forever damned...

360 gamertag: Mayhem64

True love is forever.

I do want to start this off with making it clear that I like Maya because I get the feeling I may be coming across as disliking her character which is not true. I simply prefer Trucy.

CantFaketheFunk wrote:
But... Trucy *doesn't* develop. She's exactly the same at the end of the game as she was at the beginning, she's exactly the same at the beginning of the game as she was seven years before. Trucy stays the same through the entire game. Maya does not. (And why is it not okay for Maya to mourn for a case before being able to master her emotions and then ostensibly keep them to herself but perfectly fine for Trucy to be upset for all of 20 seconds before doing the same? It's the -exact same situation- with the two. Seriously. >_>)

Sure, you can like Trucy better, she's cute with some great lines. But I don't see how anybody can say she develops more than Maya does in their respective first games, because... frankly, they don't.

Maya:

1-2: Doesn't trust Phoenix at first, broken up over her sister's death. By the end, their common trial and ties to Mia bring them together, she comes to trust him and he becomes her surrogate family.
1-3: Filler case, but we learn about Maya's love for the Steel Samurai (not all that important and hardly 'development,' just saying) and sets up her being unable to call Mia when Nick needs her to, so she starts to feel useless.
1-4: Her feelings of helplessness/uselessness and being unable to do anything to help save Edgeworth lead to her HOLD IT! to Lotta's testimony when Phoenix can't do anything because he'll be held in contempt of court. She does this willingly, knowing that SHE'LL be the one charged with contempt of court. Similarly, when she later nabs the crucial bullet from Von Karma in the encounter at the police station.

In the second case, there is clearly a lot of emotion to Maya's character, but I wouldn't say that she doesn't trust Phoenix. She is following her sister's advise, which in the situation is understandable. Once all that is out of the way, she accepts Phoenix's help immediately because of his passion and the fact that he wants to help her, but that is a rather quick change for someone who doesn't trust him at all as you're indicating. If she truly didn't trust him, then why bother with him at all. She would have been assigned a public defender (who for all she knows is more qualified then an attorney with only one win), but she quickly agrees to accept his help. There is no development in 1-3. She acts like a child throughout it (including arguing with Cody over the Steel Samurai episodes) and not once ever shows a shred of emotion for her sister who died only a couple months before. The only emotion she shows at all in reference to that earlier case is mild annoyance at Gumshoe for his bad investigation skills, but there isn't a single thing that indicates that she feels anything else. In 1-4, this feeling of helplessness come in, but that isn't development. It's a new addition. Even in 1-2, Maya never references a feeling of helplessness or uselessness. She's sad about feeling abandoned, but never does she talk about feeling useless like she does in 1-4. Nor does she do so in 1-3. It's not the further development of her character and its a rather random addition since we don't even see it hinted at before. Not only do we not see this trait in her earlier, but her reason for feeling this way is never explained except in terms of that particular case. There's nothing like I couldn't do this and this happened or I've always been useless and here are some examples. This insecurity of her's seems to come out of nowhere. People usually have a deeper reason for their insecurities, but Maya is never given one. The trait is just pushed onto her character in a rather awkward way. In fact, Maya's past or anything about her is never delved into in the first game and we see her recover from things like her sister's death faster than she should.

I wouldn't say that Maya had grown over the course of the game at all. We came to know her better, but everything we found out about her was rather superficial and was played on in the next two games which can't be used in this discussion. She then leaves to grow up, but where did this development occur in the first game (and I would argue that it doesn't happen much in JFA either, but that isn't a topic for here)? The answer is that she doesn't "grow up" in the first game. That is something left for the later games.

CantFaketheFunk wrote:
Trucy:

4-2: Cheerful, becomes friendly (a bit too friendly IMO but that's up to everyone's own opinion) with Apollo. Talks about her magic, has cute and silly one-liners, thinks Klavier is hot.
4-3: Cheerful, friendly with Apollo. Talks about her magic, has cute and silly one-liners, thinks Klavier is hot.
4-4: Cheerful, friendly with Apollo. Talks about her magic, has cute and silly one-liners, probably still thinks Klavier is hot.
Flashback: Cheerful, immediately accepts Phoenix as her surrogate father after barely 20 seconds of being upset over Zak's disappearance. Talks about her magic, has cute and silly one-liners, hasn't met Klavier yet.

Trucy doesn't develop :/

(Also, I looked, and I couldn't find a thread suited for this >_>)

Sort of similar to Maya in the first game, this is merely Trucy's introduction and while she does develop some, there is no doubt that more games are needed to develop her more as they did with Maya. Again, Maya has had three games worth of development, but Trucy hasn't had that kind of time. We really meet her first in the second case where she is rather silly at times (less so then Maya though), but is also extremely smart and helpful throughout. Her trust in Apollo isn't really strange. Her father, who she loves and trusts deeply, calls Apollo to help them and clearly puts his faith in Apollo (and Trucy is at least aware that Apollo played a role in helping her father during his trial as she was in the courthouse). Trucy trusts her father's judgement and helps Apollo through the case. I agree this case had little character development. The third case we get to see a bit more of Trucy's insecurities (she becomes very upset at hearing Apollo suggest that Phoenix undercover like the victim, particularly considering how the victim ended up. Phoenix is quick to reassure her that he wouldn't do such a thing to her) and we learn a bit more about Trucy's past which is the first time we see her normally cheerful demeanor give way. This break in her cheeriness shows up a several times in 4-3 and 4-4 in reference to her biological father and I thought that with all the cheeriness we saw in 4-2, these breaks in her composure were rather jarring and indicated that something more was there. This is furthered in 4-4 where we learn about her past and the reason for her anxiety in the previous case.

Does she really grow up? Maybe a little, but that wasn't the point of this game. Like the first PW game, we were being introduced to everyone and given a feel for their characters. After playing both games through, Trucy seems to be a more complete and understandable character than Maya whose introduction was rather superficial and never gave us a really clear look at her past or what was going on in her mind. We know more about who Trucy is and what makes her ticks. All those earlier moments begin to make more sense and I personally came to understand her really well.

Fanfics Updated-12/25
Page 1 of 4 [ 148 posts ] 
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » The Hydeout (GS4)