Board index » Present Evidence » Games

Page 1 of 1[ 15 posts ]

Yet Another Bittorrent Clie- I mean Case MakerTopic%20Title

machinimator

Yeah, with PWLib and MechaBowser's almost finished, this may be coming in a bit late, and to be perfectly honest I don't have much to show at the moment. However, I've been coding so many nights I feel that I should show off what I have working. This project is being made in Flash, using lots of ActionScript. Unlike CourtEngine, you will actually need Flash yourself to make your own cases. (sorry.) However, their actual creation is relatively easy, as I try to demonstrate in the video.

http://www.vimeo.com/1043403

It's not in the video, but actual Objections are working (getting them wrong, and correct response). I have to admit that things such as adding characters requires a little more ActionScript than I like, so if this is something people don't like so much, the engine may only be used for my own cases.

Obviously, I'll let you guys know if anything interesting comes up.

Other things that are working, but not shown in the video:
Objections (failed and correct; music stops when correct)
"Quakes" (when someone says something like "WHAAAAAT!!???!?" and the screen shakes)
Mid-text pauses
Various other mid-text events, such as starting to play a song
Music is external (not Flash-compression-raped)
Looping music (requires two mp3s. Currently stutters an instant when looping)
Court Record (in the interface, is below the "viewing" window. Like the games, can be viewed at any time)
Specific Evidence Requests (do you have proof of your claim, Mr. Wright?)
Speaking out of frame, in different-color text, etc.
I'm gone for so long, and the colors got all psychedelic! Woohoo!

Last edited by Katana on Fri May 23, 2008 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Re: Yet Another Bittorrent Clie- I mean Case MakerTopic%20Title

AIGE/PWLib Casemaker Developer

MechaBowser's almost finished too?? Where??

Well, looks interesting. BTW, what inspired you to make it?
PWLib 1.2 Under Development

PWLib Casemaker (Version 1.1) at http://forums.court-records.net/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=8788

End Quote.

Looks quite impressive Katana. Always great to see a new avenue of case maker opening up.. We have AIGE, Editor style, Online, Flash, XML.. so much choice, it's brilliant. I would urge you on to try and release this as a possible contender in the case maker environment, purely due to it's apparent ease of use. Some people who don't want to get into the heavy coding aspect of things could do wonders with this flash based environment :]
ImageImage

Valant Ocelot

I actually thought about making the PW engine in flash, for making my own games though. But I figured that the coded finished case makers will let the project slip :hobohodo:

I liked how you did the objects in AS, making it seem a lot cleaner than it actually is in the video. And I am quite amazed by how you made the ticking sounds , go so well. I tried to do it , but failed :(
The talking bubble though seem like it was done in flash, I suggest you to use graphic rips.
^ lolz ocelot

Pleeaase don't hurt me.

Is MechaBowser's CaseMaker really near release?
Thanks Elriel for the sig!

machinimator

Wind Fish wrote:
The talking bubble though seem like it was done in flash, I suggest you to use graphic rips.

Oh, I'm not gonna deny the Court Record currently looks even worse. If someone can point me to a TTF of them, then it would be much easier. But individual graphics? PNGs? Purely out of the question at the moment.

At the time, I was inspired into it because I didn't know how long it would be before the other case makers were finished. (If I had known PWLib would be 100% by now, I might not have bothered) Also, I had just taken an ActionScript class in college, and realized that it was about the same as Java, which I happen to have quite a lot of practice with. This is actually my biggest coding project outside of school assignments. (so far, for school I've made a Mario-style platformer in Visual Basic, an "FPS" quote unquote in QBasic, a networked board game in Java, and just finished days ago, a platformer-puzzle in Flash where you play as a bouncing green ball.

I'd like to make my own case before a release (many of the features are easier if you can view an example) but I'm basically putting together ideas that won't need OCs.

1) Your other videos (with your voice tutorials) are really cool. You sound like a pro tutor.

2) Did you use Flex Builder or Adobe Flash?

Erm, like... I think i have an objection

Nice work, could see a lot of hard work went into it, it almost looks like the real thing (apart from the speech boxes mainly)

Valant Ocelot

Katana wrote:
Wind Fish wrote:

Oh, I'm not gonna deny the Court Record currently looks even worse. If someone can point me to a TTF of them, then it would be much easier. But individual graphics? PNGs? Purely out of the question at the moment.

Hmm I don't see a problem with them, really. When I started working on the engine , the bubble things looked pretty good imo, it's just a base for the chat thing. If you're talking about quality here, that's a whole different story, flash isn't the best things for maximizing and minimizing images.
Anyway one more question, is the simulator going to be SWF? I think it'll be very problematic and limited compared to the other "case makers", because it means there won't be importions (unless you're into SQL or php) and the whole program will be very stricted and bounded with many lines and limits.
On the other hand I can't see you releasing a fla either, as you won't be able to get the rights for your own work.
So yeah, I quite wonder about this subject.
^ lolz ocelot

machinimator

Wind Fish wrote:
Katana wrote:
Wind Fish wrote:

Hmm I don't see a problem with them, really. When I started working on the engine , the bubble things looked pretty good imo, it's just a base for the chat thing. If you're talking about quality here, that's a whole different story, flash isn't the best things for maximizing and minimizing images.
Anyway one more question, is the simulator going to be SWF? I think it'll be very problematic and limited compared to the other "case makers", because it means there won't be importions (unless you're into SQL or php) and the whole program will be very stricted and bounded with many lines and limits.
On the other hand I can't see you releasing a fla either, as you won't be able to get the rights for your own work.
So yeah, I quite wonder about this subject.

Ah, you meant the talk bubble itself, not the text. I don't see a real fuss over whether it's the exact same one from the games. I'm not trying to go for pixel-for-pixel authenticity.
I agree that the lack of an XML, SQL, or other scripting environment will come to some as a shock, and as I said it may mean that you'll want to use something else entirely. However, if the reception is good enough I will gladly release the FLA for others to mod. Obviously, that means someone can potentially remove my name from the credit stub at the end, but I can take that risk. It's already all-too-common with people putting my machinima videos on YouTube.
Adding new characters to the game doesn't take a full understanding of the code structure, but you do need to make new ActionScript files. Like I said, exact user customization is slightly more difficult, and I'm even considering reworking that sort of system.

boyo: I used Flash.

Valant Ocelot

Katana wrote:
Ah, you meant the talk bubble itself, not the text. I don't see a real fuss over whether it's the exact same one from the games. I'm not trying to go for pixel-for-pixel authenticity.
I agree that the lack of an XML, SQL, or other scripting environment will come to some as a shock, and as I said it may mean that you'll want to use something else entirely. However, if the reception is good enough I will gladly release the FLA for others to mod. Obviously, that means someone can potentially remove my name from the credit stub at the end, but I can take that risk. It's already all-too-common with people putting my machinima videos on YouTube.
Adding new characters to the game doesn't take a full understanding of the code structure, but you do need to make new ActionScript files. Like I said, exact user customization is slightly more difficult, and I'm even considering reworking that sort of system.

boyo: I used Flash.

The font was okay, didn't see any problems with it. And I made the suggestion about the talk bubble to make it to look more like a phoenix wright game, and less flash. Isn't it what's it all about? :godot: .
Anyway about the simulation, I think releasing the fla will be a complete waste of the good work that you have made. I think the best thing to do is to release a SWF(with all the characters' animations) and the main soundtrack tracks like "objection" or "cornered". I think it'll be a great hit in Newgrounds, so who knows you might get sponsered :)
^ lolz ocelot

machinimator

Wind Fish wrote:
Anyway about the simulation, I think releasing the fla will be a complete waste of the good work that you have made.

Au contraire, mi amigo. Ever heard of something called Madness Interactive?
http://madnesscombat.com/games/
Check out the last line. They give out the full FLA and all ActionScript. (okay, so currently the link is down, but you get the idea.) It's resulted in a lot of interesting mods. So far, no one's really tried to steal credit or anything.

So you used flash.
Did you import the gif animation to classes (export to actionscript 3.0) so that each animation is defined as a class?

CourtEngine Programmer

Just watching this video with a fine tooth comb, fed me idea of how to fix my own stuff :) Sucha s the text blipping, i think i know an easy way to get it to not sound like ass

also interesting side note, i noticed the sprites all run at 16FPS on the DS hardware, jsut thought you may want to know, unless thats what your currently running at

it looks good dude :D noble to release the source, the reason ive gone through so much trouble of making everything external was not only conceptual, but a good way to protect my sourcecode lol
CourtEngine Prototype: 69%
"XML is like violence: if it doesn't solve your problem, you're not using enough of it."

machinimator

I still have a number of features outlined in front of me that I haven't quite started working on, but I would like to begin making a demonstration case. I want something simple, like the first case of one of the games; so here's anyone's potential claim to fame...
If someone has a relatively simple and solid case that only uses existing character graphics (if you can provide an OC with all needed animations, I can implement it) I might like to implement it into Flash Attorney, just as a way of making a landmark in the program's completion. Feel free to PM me with anything you've got.
Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Board index » Present Evidence » Games