Ever since the BBC closed down, I've been missing this thread SOOO much. Hopefully we can revive it. But this time, there should be a couple catches. Instead of just posting your song and artist, hopefully we can actually carry a conversation about what we're listening to.
Maybe some lyrics too. Let's give this thread some substance XD I don't want it to get locked.
---
So right now, I'm listening to The One Star, from the SubaSekai/TWEWY Remix cd that came out two weeks ago XD Who else was sick of gamerips and ordered this cd? And what other game music do you like? XD Haha, I feel like such a pathetic idiot.
This can definately turn into a passionate, not spam topic if we work towards it
Don't mess with me, or I'll give you a Silence Glaive Surprise!
I don't know a lick of Japanese, but this is apparently what they're singing :
Spoiler:
Title: A flower called "you"
In the despair of a transparent foam My spinning heart looped Moving forward somehow, unconcerned A hesitant story Always losing something Then we'll know today Moving forward somehow, meaninglessly A hesitant story In short, everything was smashed up
In our transparent desires My heart that is dying out, looped Moving forward somehow, unconcerned A hesitant story For how long will we lose things? You know the real me, that I was hiding Moving forward somehow, meaninglessly A hesitant story
In short, everything was smashed up In short, it was dancing in the wind A drop shining in your eyes Ah, thunder in the blue sky If there is only pain, then it's divided between us, that's right The color of the two of us Until our white breath runs out That road that we flew over From atop a hill, I can can see a flower called "you" That has bloomed in the city, and will bloom again
In short, everything was smashed up In short, it was dancing in the wind A drop shining in your eyes Ah, thunder in the blue sky If there is only pain, then it's divided between us, that's right The color of the two of us Until our white breath runs out That road that we flew over From atop a hill, I can see a flower called "you" That has bloomed in the city, and will bloom again
In a color like yours...
I'll throw in the lyrics of Loop & Loop too:
Spoiler:
Loop & Loop
A white paper in my right hand For no reason, I draw my pictures and throw them out midway through That lights up tomorrow
My dirty left hand Unnamed, I drew your picture and came across it in space That lights up tomorrow Endless blue, disappearing scenery, an ending winter
The terrible rain submerges the door that slips away It echoes in the bottom of my permeated heart Undependable tomorrow's fleeting memory Is also a white shadow cut off from a small light
After all, even this stabbed, knocked about, blotted out you of today Will ultimately end and start This gathered-up weak magic
The reason; for this lost, knocked about, soiled me of today The end credits started to run Break this boring image That's right
On the subject of The World Ends with You, I like the original Calling best. Game Over is good too. Instrumentally I think The One Star is ok, but I don't like the singing.
Other game music I like is the music of Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan! and it's sequel, the Metroid series, Castlevania and Guild Wars, and of course the AA-series ^^.
I hope this is enough substance .
Cavaliers forever...
Many thanks to Violet for the drawing and Dr. Antrax for the sig!
Nobody makes generalizations about life unless they mean to talk about themselves.
But right now I happen to be listening to Guilty Love The Solitary Confinement song from GS4. I love it, I have both songs as a ringtone on my phone XD
And not knowing what your music says isn't a bad thing... I listen to so much music in japanese and even other languages. And I don't know what any of it means. I think someone said that the language used in music like Jpop and Jrock is hard for those learning Japanese to understand, because it's usually slang, correct me if I'm wrong.
And Metallica is a sick band XD I've been listening to them for over 5 years now ^_^ (Even though they've been around longer than that of course.)
Don't mess with me, or I'll give you a Silence Glaive Surprise!
"And I don't want the world to see me 'Cause I don't think that they'd understand When everything's made to be broken I just want you to know who I am.."
Edit: FIRE EMBLEM FTW. 8D
Last edited by fatalfeline on Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
My CR family~ Mother: Naturally Lazy//Father: Phoenix_Apollo//Brothers: JadeRoach and Game Over
I love that song... Iris was always one of my favourites ever since I was little, it came out a LONG time ago...
And Fire Emblem totally kicks ass. I love the series ^^
Right now I'm listening to Portishead - Wandering Star. I love their music. Beth Gibbons has such an awesome voice <3 I hope I wasn't the only one excited to hear that they reunited XD (Hence Third came out... XD)
Don't mess with me, or I'll give you a Silence Glaive Surprise!
really interestingly done song. it's really excellent, too - the overlay of the really girlish voices on top of the gunshots is awesome. i <3 it. makes up for the rest of this album, which i didn't like nearly as much as her first album.
Actually, soundtracks of all four games, on shuffle. That's just the one playing right now.
I prefer listening to the game soundtracks over actual songs, because as background music, and without words, they don't distract me from whatever I'm doing. I could probably write an essay to the GS soundtrack, whereas I wouldn't be able to write three lines to songs with lyrics. The words get in the way. Does anyone else have this problem?
Violet wrote:I could probably write an essay to the GS soundtrack, whereas I wouldn't be able to write three lines to songs with lyrics. The words get in the way. Does anyone else have this problem?
I can work while listening to almost anything. I'll put on the most obnoxious metal and happily nod away to it while I draw, haha.
In seriousness, though, have you tried listening to jungle, house, or trance? Electronic music is excellent if you prefer your music without lyrics.
Well, since I have nothing better to do, I'm listening to "Hare Hare Yukai" By Aya Hirano. It's on my TMoHS playlist, so that's it. I was actually doing the dance as well. But now I'm just enjoying it.
"Monsters in the Parasol" by Queens of the Stone Age.
Spoiler: Lyrics
The walls are closing in again, oh well The walls are closing in again, oh well I seen some thing I thought I never saw Covered in hair Paul's dad is warped and bubbling, oh well Paul's dad is warped and bubbling, oh well And my mind is out here on another wave Covered in hair
She won't grow
You've got a monster (distress) in your parasol (body out??) You've got a monster (dwarves, doors?) in your parasol (of course) You've got a monster (displeasure) in your parasol (I told you??) You've got a monster (?) in your parasol (xnay?) Paul's sister is an alien, oh well
Paul's sister is an alien, oh well I seen some things I thought I never saw Covered in hair
She won't grow
You've got a monster (distress, my pest?) in your parasol You've got a monster (drawves) in your parasol (war horse) You've got a monster (displeasure) in your parasol (?) You've got a hole in you I never saw (??) In your parasol, in your parasol
--Millini (Official CR Rock Prince and Gavinism convert.)
I'm listening to the CD I had to make for English. It's supposed to be a soundtrack to the Jodi Picoult book The Pact. I love her work...Quite a sad book, that was.
Spoiler: The Pact
This is the final song, the epilogue. It's supposed to represent Chris after his name is cleared, and how he now has to drive the streets he and Emily used to walk on before she killed herself. It also reminds me of that scene at the end when Chris finds that note in the tin-can system. [Or rather, blank piece of paper]
Anyone who pays attention to me when I talk music knows I only listen to full albums at once, so this is less of what song and more of what entire set.
Right now, I'm listening to The Who's Quadrophenia. It's not only their best album, but it just... gets to me. I can't focus on anything else but it for its hour-'n-a-half duration. ( =v=) It's a pretty dramatic album. Especially as it gets more and more enraged. The chorus of Doctor Jimmy ("What is it?! I'll take it! Who is she? I'll rape it!") is a pretty powerful piece. Whole song is great. Whole album is great. Everything is great. I've got to jump around and dance for another hour or so and maybe punch a wall in.
After that is ...And You Will Know Us By the Trail of Dead's Source Tags & Codes which is their magnum opus and epic. It too is a pretty dramatic thing, but it's more of a flat out force. It truly is epic by definition. I couldn't even describe it. It's just music with passion. Following that will be Pixies' Doolittle, which is pretty cool.
Not sure what I want after that. I'm thinking The Mountain Goats's The Hound Chronicles, but I can only figure it out when it comes.
Quadrophrenia... I seem to remember hearing about an album a while back that had to be played on four different record players at once to fully appreciate it.
You know, for some reason, hearing Quadrophenia makes me think of that too. But no, the album you're thinking of is The Flaming Lips' Zaireeka.
Apparently, Zaireeka can only be appreciated fully if you get a group of friends together to listen to. And yes, it's four CDs designed to be played on four players at once. I figure one of these days I'll get a chance to try it out. It's supposed to be incredibly awesome.
Holy Hell wrote:You know, for some reason, hearing Quadrophenia makes me think of that too. But no, the album you're thinking of is The Flaming Lips' Zaireeka.
Apparently, Zaireeka can only be appreciated fully if you get a group of friends together to listen to. And yes, it's four CDs designed to be played on four players at once. I figure one of these days I'll get a chance to try it out. It's supposed to be incredibly awesome.
i have desperately wanted to do that for the longest time. i have the 4CD copy of zaireeka, i just don't have four people/CD players to do it easily with
speaking of interestingly designed albums, i think i am going to go listen to Godspeed You! Black Emperor's F♯A♯∞. the first side of the record begins in F♯, the second in A♯, and ends in a locked groove, which will continue playing as long as your record player is on, hence the ∞. it's a concept album about the end of the world - it starts out with spoken word:
Spoiler: The Dead Flag Blues
The car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel And the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides And a dark wind blows The government is corrupt And we're on so many drugs With the radio on and the curtains drawn
We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death
The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles
It went like this
The buildings tumbled in on themselves Mothers clutching babies picked through the rubble and pulled out their hair
The skyline was beautiful on fire All twisted metal stretching upwards Everything washed in a thin orange haze
I said, "Kiss me, you're beautiful.. These are truly the last days"
You grabbed my hand and we fell into it Like a daydream or a fever
We woke up one morning and fell a little further down For sure it's the valley of death
I open up my wallet And it's full of blood
and is just amazing from there on out.
i love this album ♥
Last edited by Gozu on Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:27 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dear fuck, the lyrics to this song make no fucking sense.
TRACK OVER, NEXT SONG: Someone Keeps Moving My Chair - They Might Be Giants
Personally, I never was particularly fond of Flood as a whole. I mean, it's a good album, but it's far from TMBG's best work, contrary to what some would have you believe. Still, the song's decent.
WARNING: My dA may contain swearing, bad fanart, and gratuitous lesbianism.
BTW, GIVE GUMSHOE SOME GODDAMN MONEY, BITCHES
While not a song, per se, it's still a rather hilarious sound clip from an episode of...Mad TV, I think. Before that, I was listening to 'Til I Hear It From You by the Gin Blossoms. I really like the song-I usually choose most of my music based on the lyrics and how I can relate them to things, and this relates rather well to a couple different things/people in my life.
Violet wrote:I could probably write an essay to the GS soundtrack, whereas I wouldn't be able to write three lines to songs with lyrics. The words get in the way. Does anyone else have this problem?
Actually, it's the opposite for me. I can do most anything while listening to songs with lyrics (I've been retyping a master's thesis into my computer while listening to some Billy Joel/the soundtrack to 'Tropic Thunder'), but if I put GS music on and a really good song comes up, I start humming it and getting way off task. It is, however, rather inspirational for PW fics, so that's an upside.
"Last daughter of your royal house/ Go I, his prisoner, because I honoured/ Those things to which honour truly belongs." Antigone, Antigone.
I lock the door and lock my head And dream of butterflies instead The beauty of their colored wings The trees, the grass and pretty things Imagination fills the void of my existence
Daddy says "I love you girl, it's not your fault Your mom and me don't get along" I know he's lying, I know there's no such thing as Inexplicable I hear, forget, this world in bed And suddenly the sun comes up That's when my pets all come alive They cheer me up and tell me
Everything's alright Stuffed animals are always right
My favorite song, my favorite show I wonder if they even know Or if they care or if they even notice I am standing there I want my pets to come alive And cheer me up and tell me
Everything's alright Stuffed animals are always right Everything's alright Stuffed animals are always right Alright...
My eyes all red, the baby's wet And someone has to get that phone I want my pets to come alive and Cheer me up and tell me
Alright...
I lock the door and lock my head And dream of butterflies instead
Pretty obvious that it's about a family whose mother and father don't get along and end up neglecting their children. I love this song.
Right now I'm listening to "Without You" from the original cast recording of RENT. I haven't listened to anything from this show in ages, but suddenly today I was hit with a strange craving to listen. I love this recording; though I like a couple of the actors from the movie better you just can't beat that amazing raw quality of the original.
Spoiler: Here, have some lyrics! 8D
MIMI Without you, the ground thaws The rain falls The grass grows
Without you, the seeds root The flowers bloom The children play
The stars gleam, the poets dream The eagles fly, without you The earth turns, the sun burns But I die without you
Without you, the breeze warms The girl smiles The cloud moves
Without you, the tides change The boys run The oceans crash
The crowds roar, the days soar The babies cry, without you The moon glows, the river flows But I die without you
ROGER The world revives
MIMI Colours renew
BOTH But I know blue Only blue, lonely blue
MIMI Within me, blue... Without you
Without you, the hand gropes The ear hears The pulse beats
ROGER Without you, the eyes gaze The legs walk The lungs breathe
BOTH The mind churns (The mind churns) The heart yearns (The heart yearns) The tears dry, without you
I'm listening to Shadows on the Ground by my favourite band, Yellow Magic Orchestra. These guys can sing pretty well in English, I reckon. I think it's a cover song but I have no evidence...