Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Hazakurain (GS3)

Page 3 of 5[ 175 posts ]
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Re: Was Godot a good prosecutor?Topic%20Title

Waiting on Godot...

Croik wrote:
The last thing we need is anti-threads, though.

Very true. I never understood why people felt the need to vent their hatred for a character in a thread. That's fandom though I guess. Fandom is still a mystery to me :yogi:
ImageImageImageImage

I'll echo the sentiment that Godot's a good character, but not the best prosecutor. I'd say he was about even with the other prosecutors (except for Payne), with Edgeworth being the best.
"Blacker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than Hell itself...That is coffee." - Godot

PsychoDahlia?!

Arkillian wrote:
Croik wrote:
The last thing we need is anti-threads, though.

Very true. I never understood why people felt the need to vent their hatred for a character in a thread. That's fandom though I guess. Fandom is still a mystery to me :yogi:

Oh darn it. I guess people do it to balance out all the lovey doveyness in Fanclubs. People need a mixture of positive and negative - we can't vent out positivity all the time. (Although it's a shame they apparently are not allowed on this forum...)
Thanks C.Gholy for my earth-shattering wallpaper, and .•°٭blinq٭°•. for this amazingly wonderful signature!

Objection

Although I absolutely love Godot and thought he was a great character, he wasn't the greatest prosecutor. He's definitely not the worst, in my opinion, but of course, Edgeworth will always be the best prosecutor of them all. You have to take in mind that Godot had never prosecuted before and his only intention of becoming one was to meet face to face with Phoenix. Also considering the condition he was in at the time (having waking up from a coma just before, finding out Mia was dead etc.) he wasn't even too bad. Of course, his sense of justice wasn't very strong at all, but he really did impress me in case 3-2. How he got Phoenix to prove that Luke Atmey was Mask*DeMasque, just so Ron could be accused of murder was, IMO, fantastic. Of course, his methods of prosecuting ("Prove it!") we're, dare I say it, horrible.

Saying that Godot never beat Phoenix once would be ridiculous considering that no one else has. And as stated before, his temper tantrums (throwing coffee) are not nearly as bad as Franziska constantly whipping everyone. She noticeably did it much more often, and not just Phoenix.

Personally, I think the fact that he is self-centered, sexist, selfish and a total "prick" just makes him to seem more human. Not everyone can be perfect without any faults.

Aaaaand I think I've covered everything that has been on my mind, so, yup. :godot:
Beware of Godot Fan Girl :godot:

nuuuuu, stoooooop

yuukanami wrote:
...but he really did impress me in case 3-2. How he got Phoenix to prove that Luke Atmey was Mask*DeMasque, just so Ron could be accused of murder was, IMO, fantastic....

...Saying that Godot never beat Phoenix once would be ridiculous considering that no one else has.

Edgeworth has. :edgy:

The problem with Godot's approach in 3-2 is that he gambled his entire case on setting Ron up for the murder of Bullard, without fully investigating that murder. When he lost the murder trial he had nothing; it was because Godot was so anxious to trap Phoenix that Ron ultimately got away with stealing thousands of dollars worth of museum artifacts.
ImageImage

Objection

Croik wrote:
yuukanami wrote:
...but he really did impress me in case 3-2. How he got Phoenix to prove that Luke Atmey was Mask*DeMasque, just so Ron could be accused of murder was, IMO, fantastic....

...Saying that Godot never beat Phoenix once would be ridiculous considering that no one else has.

Edgeworth has. :edgy:

The problem with Godot's approach in 3-2 is that he gambled his entire case on setting Ron up for the murder of Bullard, without fully investigating that murder. When he lost the murder trial he had nothing; it was because Godot was so anxious to trap Phoenix that Ron ultimately got away with stealing thousands of dollars worth of museum artifacts.

He has? :udgy:
My bad! :larry:

Well, I was impressed, but hey, I'm pretty simple minded... :yogi:
Beware of Godot Fan Girl :godot:

Slide on

Am I missing something here or don't all prosecutors rely on the proof card as the majority of thier arguments?
Anyways, the game does seem to portray Godot as a skilled prosecutor, by the time 3-3 rolls around we hear he's in charge of many important cases at once, if he can get that much responsibilty in a few months we should assume he's quite skilled among the prosecutors at least.
And how dare he persuade the Judge through trickery, when some of the best rely on intimidation and assualt.
Finally why should he have been responsible for outing the fake Phoenix when anyone else was perfectly capable of doing so?

It's all Wright to be wrong sometimes!

Was anyone else aware? The Judge, Maggey, and Payne were fooled...ergo, they were not capable of outing him.
Amazing sig and avatar credits go to TheBaronAndEma! Perfect as always!

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Akuri wrote:
Anyways, the game does seem to portray Godot as a skilled prosecutor, by the time 3-3 rolls around we hear he's in charge of many important cases at once, if he can get that much responsibilty in a few months we should assume he's quite skilled among the prosecutors at least.
And how dare he persuade the Judge through trickery, when some of the best rely on intimidation and assualt.
Finally why should he have been responsible for outing the fake Phoenix when anyone else was perfectly capable of doing so?

The game doesn't "portray" him as a good prosecutor, it "tells you" he is. There's a big difference. The only reason we know Godot is any good is because Gumshoe says so, and that's before he's taken a single case. Gumshoe then says he dropped several cases just to face Phoenix. But then in 3-5 Gumshoe makes a comment about how maybe Godot won't take any case unless it's to face Phoenix. So which is it Gumshoe!? Did he take extra cases or not? Gumshoe isn't a very reliable witness... :sadshoe:

As for the fake Phoenix, it's not that it was Godot's specific responsibility--like Jasmine said, if anyone else had caught on, they would have outed him too. They're pretty dumb not to have realized, but hey, that's AA. But if Godot caught on and said nothing, that's worse than not catching on.
ImageImage

Slide on

Croik wrote:
The game doesn't "portray" him as a good prosecutor, it "tells you" he is. There's a big difference. The only reason we know Godot is any good is because Gumshoe says so, and that's before he's taken a single case. Gumshoe then says he dropped several cases just to face Phoenix. But then in 3-5 Gumshoe makes a comment about how maybe Godot won't take any case unless it's to face Phoenix. So which is it Gumshoe!? Did he take extra cases or not? Gumshoe isn't a very reliable witness... :sadshoe:

As for the fake Phoenix, it's not that it was Godot's specific responsibility--like Jasmine said, if anyone else had caught on, they would have outed him too. They're pretty dumb not to have realized, but hey, that's AA. But if Godot caught on and said nothing, that's worse than not catching on.

I can agree with it being forced on us, but I feel that his performance in court would be better than average, mirror moment aside. Lets face it, all the prosecutors have had one of these moments, to different degrees.

I'm afraid I don't recall Gumshoe claiming Godot never did any cases unless Phoenix was involved, got it quoted or in a textdump by any chance?

I was under the impression that everyone, or the majority at least, did figure out something was wrong, but nobody had the spine to ask the question. So Godot would be in the same boat as everyone else.

"Not having the spine to ask"? Godot?

I specifically remember Gumshoe saying Godot dropped his cases to face Phoenix, but I'm not positive where it was. Fairly sure it was in the first half of 3-3, though.

Gumshoe said that Godot dropped all his cases to face Phoenix in 3-3.

i feel pretty

Akuri wrote:

Why does this line remind me of Chris Crocker?

Chief Oldbagger

Lind_L_Tailor wrote:
Akuri wrote:

Why does this line remind me of Chris Crocker?

LEAVE UDGEY ALOOOONE!

Anyway, this is turning into a hate thread I believe.
Credits to Nadindi for both the avvie and sig!

Two week break!

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Okay so not as difinitive as I remember, but here's Gumshoe's line in 3-5:

Quote:
Gumshoe: It's really weird. All of a sudden, no one can reach him! Hmm, I wonder if the rumors are true. Maybe since Mr. Wright caught a cold and won't be defending, he just lost interest.

So there are at least rumors that Godot loses interest in a case if Phoenix isn't involved.

Even though Gumshoe talks about Godot dropping cases, when he describes Godot to Edgeworth he still doesn't mention a win record.

Quote:
Gumshoe: I thought Prosecutor Godot was gonna get here before me. That guy's a real mystery, I tell you!

Edgeworth: So who is this Prosecutor Godot? I've never heard of him.

Gumshoe: Yeah, he's a new guy... Showed up after you left the country! He's a complete rookie, but nobody can say a bad word about the guy.

Edgeworth: What kind of a man is he?

Gumshoe: He just became a prosecutor recently, but he's good, sir. Real good.

Edgeworth: (If he's so good, how is it that I've never heard of him...?)

He says Godot is "good" but he said that before Godot had taken a case. And he still refers to Godot as a "complete rookie" even though he's been a prosecutor since September, around 5 months. So we still have no idea how many cases Godot has taken, or if he won any of them.
ImageImage

WHOOOP

I don't really know, he's a good character and all but he's a crap prosecutor, the only really smart thing he ever really did do was the whole getting luke atmey to be masque de mask so ronnie could get accused for murder... but that's really it. So meh, he's ok.

hee...hee...hee...

Feenie_Polly wrote:
I don't really know, he's a good character and all but he's a crap prosecutor, the only really smart thing he ever really did do was the whole getting luke atmey to be masque de mask so ronnie could get accused for murder... but that's really it. So meh, he's ok.

Um, Godot didn't make Atemy pretend to be Masque*deMask. That was all a part of Atemy's own plan to get Ron the guilty verdict.
Unless you mean forcing Phoenix to prove that Luke was Masque*deMask?
Absiposilutivily wonderful avatar by me, art not.

WHOOOP

*slaps self*

derrr I'm such an idiot yes thats what I meant see this is why I would never be a good lawyer xD sorry

The Twisted Samurai

I think Godot is the coolest Prosecutor!(hiding because of Edgey fangirls lurking everywhere)
He is awesome , a Badass , I love how he does the trial and Simply his hairdo
"The hammer that strikes too fast has no time to aim."

Last edited by Coffee Prosecutor on Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Well technically, as good as he is as a prosecutor, he's never won a case not one, unless there were some cases that weren't important where he won but that's not so likely...

Spoiler: Godot's story...
So Phoenix went against Godot for two and a half cases and Godot lost them all.
Everyone knows Godot was a defense attorney before his coma and only became a prosecutor to test Phoenix's abilities as a lawyer.

With this, we can indicate that he never went against anyone else and since he lost all the time against Phoenix, maybe he's not as good as we thought? :yuusaku:

Life's a Happy Song when there's someone by your side to sing along!

The Twisted Samurai

hey,Hey,HEY!
Everyone who fought against :phoenix: lost his trials!Don´t forget!
:edgeworth: :I got always my guilty verdict!But then did :phoenix: and it was over
:franny: :I had a perfect win record for 7 years!But then HE! :phoenix: :ka-whip: and I lost!
:karma: :I was undefeated for even 40!Years but then :phoenix: and I lost my perfect win record: :headbang:
U can´t say that any1 of them was good , because they all lost against someone who needs a spiritmedium to win a case!Godot never really wanted to win!He simply wanted to check Phoenix and his skills!

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Coffee Prosecutor wrote:
hey,Hey,HEY!
Everyone who fought against :phoenix: lost his trials!Don´t forget!
:edgeworth: :I got always my guilty verdict!But then did :phoenix: and it was over
:KaWhip:

Yes but presumably they had some record of winning before meeting Phoenix Wright. Even Payne...

In fact Edgeworth is the only prosecutor known to have defeated Phoenix........that and Klavier, but he doesn't count. =P

The Twisted Samurai

When did Edgeworth defeated Phoenix?
(BTW:I edited the post)

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Coffee Prosecutor wrote:
When did Edgeworth defeated Phoenix?
(BTW:I edited the post)

Spoiler: Edgeworth has won in....
case 4 Justice for All

And regarding your edit, yes he neve really cared about whether he won or not, but the fact remains he's never won a case. :sadshoe:

This series makes you think that's actually important... :-P

The Twisted Samurai

NO!
Spoiler:
Only if u have chosen Guilty at the end!But it´s no really point in the story, and it was never mentioned either

And Godot was never a prosecutor.
He´s only a tutor who wanted to check Phoenix´s skills and if he does his job right(I u know what I mean) :javado:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Coffee Prosecutor wrote:
NO!
Spoiler:
Only if u have chosen Guilty at the end!But it´s no really point in the story, and it was never mentioned either

And Godot was never a prosecutor.
He´s only a tutor who wanted to check Phoenix´s skills and if he does his job right(I u know what I mean) :javado:

Spoiler: JFA Case 4
Um, actually it doesn't matter whether you choose guilty or not, edgeworth still wins because no matter what Matt actually gets pronounced guilty either way...

The Twisted Samurai

Uhm No
Spoiler:
If u choose "Not Guilty"He´ll be set free and then killed by DeKiller ,and don´t forget the double Jeopardy . . . :yuusaku: I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Double jeopardy

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Coffee Prosecutor wrote:
Uhm No
Spoiler:
If u choose "Not Guilty"He´ll be set free and then killed by DeKiller ,and don´t forget the double Jeopardy . . . :yuusaku: I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE Double jeopardy

Spoiler:
That's what would've happened if Matt didn't actually beg to be guilty...

Maybe you should play it again... :yuusaku:

The Twisted Samurai

Oh!
I forgot that totally! :edgy:
BTW:Where is the Matt sratches gis face smilie?

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Coffee Prosecutor wrote:
Oh!
I forgot that totally! :edgy:
BTW:Where is the Matt sratches gis face smilie?

:scratch: Here ya go.

ALL GLORY TO... SOMETHING

I personally think Godot stinks at his (new) job. Those who say he asks for no more proof from the defense than others, recall in 3-5 where he questioned Larry's sketch after Phoenix proved it was possible. It was as credible as witness testimony, yet he questioned it.

He also tends to grasp at straws. In 3-3 day 2, he goes back to Victor's testimony a few times... even though it was proven to be absolutely useless! And in 3-2 day 2, he was grasping when the buzzer was brought up. HE was the one who told you Ron was a security guard, yet HE countered Phoenix's claim by saying he didn't know there was security in KB security. I feel sorry for you, man.

I have analysed the different prosecutor's tactics, and here's a list.
Spoiler:
Payne: Leave it to the witness
Edgeworth: Actually, I'm not too sure about this one.
von Karma (both): Hide evidence and keep the witness' trap shut.
Godot: Ask for proof and provide pathetic counter-arguments.
Gavin: Doesn't miss a single detail.

The Twisted Samurai

YAY!Klavier as Prosecutor ftw!

Perpetual Prosecutor

Personally, I don't get where all the Godot hate comes from.

Spoiler: 3-5 Spoilers
Godot didn't become a prosecutor to earn money or get a win record and that crap, rather to uncover the truth and understand who Phoenix is before dying.

He never committed perjury, and never accused anyone for his crime in 3-5. He wants to be arrested, and even executed. Remember in the end when he said "There were two reasons left to live."
He doesn't admit it at the beginning because this is his opportunity to find out if Phoenix is really faithful to Mia. He wants to see if Phoenix can get him guilty on his own.

'Nuff said. :godot:

The Twisted Samurai

Akiak wrote:

Godot didn't become a prosecutor to earn money or get a win record and that crap, rather to uncover the truth and understand who Phoenix is before dying.

He never committed perjury, and never accused anyone for his crime in 3-5. He wants to be arrested, and even executed. Remember in the end when he said "There were two reasons left to live."
He doesn't admit it at the beginning because this is his opportunity to find out if Phoenix is really faithful to Mia. He wants to see if Phoenix can get him guilty on his own.

Seconded my Godot friend :godot:

A beautiful world indeed.

Akiak wrote:

He never committed perjury, and never accused anyone for his crime in 3-5 . He wants to be arrested, and even executed. Remember in the end when he said "There were two reasons left to live."

Spoiler:
He prosecuted Iris and then Maya for his crime of murdering Misty. How is that not accusing?

The Twisted Samurai

neoswordmaster wrote:
Akiak wrote:

He never committed perjury, and never accused anyone for his crime in 3-5 . He wants to be arrested, and even executed. Remember in the end when he said "There were two reasons left to live."

Spoiler:
He prosecuted Iris and then Maya for his crime of murdering Misty. How is that not accusing?

He did that only because he wanted to have this case to be the one in charge!
If he hadn´t acted like that they´d have taken an other Prosecutor

Oh boy oh boy oh boy!

Akiak wrote:

Oh I don't hate Godot. I just think that he kinda lacks in the prosecution department if you know what I mean....not that I can do any better.....

Akiak wrote:

And this equates to Godot being a good prosecutor...how? :eh?: All that does is explain his motivation.

The Twisted Samurai

Franzise Deauxnim wrote:
Akiak wrote:

And this equates to Godot being a good prosecutor...how? :eh?: All that does is explain his motivation.

Godot never wanted to be a prosecutor . . .
He wanted to face Phoenix.He wanted to learn about the person who let Mia die (in his point of view)
It´s siimilar to why Phoenix became an Attorney(because of Edgy)
I think a better thread name would be:Was Godot a Prosecutor?
(From my opinion at least)

nuuuuu, stoooooop

Coffee Prosecutor wrote:
He did that only because he wanted to have this case to be the one in charge!
If he hadn´t acted like that they´d have taken an other Prosecutor

Spoiler:
If Godot had done the decent thing and just confessed that he killed Misty in defense of Maya, there would have never been a trial and Iris and Maya wouldn't have been wrongly accused. He wasn't doing anyone any favors by taking the case himself.

This isn't a Godot hate thread, this is a thread about whether or not he was skilled at the job he took. In all his cases he showed a complete disregard for the people he accused, and in some cases was outright negligent in his investigations because to him it was never about getting justice for the victims, or punishing the guilty, it was about beating Phoenix. His motive was just as selfish and detrimental to the justice system as Edgeworth's or Franziska's. They were all bad prosecutors (though Edgeworth got better~), but at least Edgeworth and Franny had a few wins under their belt.

What would have happened in 3-3 if he DID beat Phoenix? Especially towards the end, when Phoenix more or less proved who was guilty but couldn't *prove* who was guilty? Would Godot have taken his GUILTY verdict and left it at that--left an innocent woman to be executed? Would he have waited until after the trial and then tried to get it appealed? Could he even do that after her case had been heard twice?

Klavier may not have been the most exciting rival but at least you got the feeling that he would never let an innocent woman die just for petty revenge, or to prove the superiority of his ego.
ImageImage
Page 3 of 5 [ 175 posts ] 
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Defendant's Lobby » Hazakurain (GS3)