Last visit was:
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:55 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trace Memory 2: R, Gateway of Memory
PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:13 pm 
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

Custom Title: ~I'm a guy, surprisingly~
Bad Player wrote:
Question:
Spoiler: Trace Memory... but not really
Does D appear/get referenced at all in TM2? Also, is there any references to Hotel Dusk (like Angel Opening a Door, as someone suggested earlier)?

No details, please; just "yes" or "no".

Spoiler: Answers
Q1: Yes
Q2: Yes

Spoiler: If you want to know the reference, click
Pinkie Rabbit is on Ashley's bag.

Last edited by 34Chan on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:13 pm 
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

SORRY. DP. O___O''

Last edited by 34Chan on Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:14 pm 
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

SORRY. DP. O__O''

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:14 pm 
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

(Sorry, I hit the quote button)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:37 pm 
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness

Wooster wrote:
I've been trying to keep myself spoiler free... but stepladder joke?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioxZEC8no2I

It's just a recording of the conversation, so there won't be any spoilers. It's just something you get when you examine a stepladder.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:30 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Yeah, I noticed quite a few references to Ace Attorney in this game.
For example,

Spoiler: !!
Elizabeth, who looks way too much like Regina (from GS2 Case 3). Later on, you learn that she only wears stuff from a brand called... Regina. And just like Regina from AA, she's but a spoiled brat who lives kinda like a princess... which is also the name of her dog in the game. I believe this is more than just a mere coincidence, especially with the ladder/step-ladder joke...)

And to answer Bad Player's question (quite late, I know) :

Spoiler:
Yes, but as far as I remember, they did not even mention his name...

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:05 am 
Prosecutor
Prosecutor

L~A wrote:
Spoiler:
Yes, but as far as I remember, they did not even mention his name...

Actually...

Spoiler:
She was talking about him to Matthew, I think it was after he found his sister's doll.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:11 am 
Admin
Admin

Custom Title: 元・超会社員級の管理人
Spoiler: ACR
Yeah, she namedrops D after they find the doll, though he gets mentioned beforehand.

Almost done with the game, up to Chapter 8.

Spoiler: Chapter 8
Sort of annoyed they're pulling off the Hotel Dusk thing where everyone except the very main characters vanishes near the end. I would have liked to see Ashley, Matthew, Tommy, Sam, and Elizabeth storm JC Valley.

Thoughts so far: good game, though my god the plot is like molasses up until the second half of chapter 5 or so. The new puzzles are generally well implemented but occasionally the motion doesn't work very well (looking at you music cube.) Overall a good game, if not quite as good as Hotel Dusk in my opinion.

Also chapter 6 is fdsohgoudhjhvx

Spoiler: Chapter 6
Elizabeth: I'm going to go find my dog now! Yay happy times!
Charlotte: Have some generalized sentiments.
Me: Well, this isn't so bad...
Matt: Let's go find CLUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEES!
Me: Woo, plot! This is actually a fairly light chap-
Matt: Look behind you it's OH GOD MY SISTER IS DEAD AND IT'S ALL MY FAULT AND I WAS A DICK TO HER
Me: *neck breaks from sudden mood whiplash* OH GOD DAMMIT CING :larry:

EDIT: Done with the game.

Spoiler: Thoughts
Good enough story, though I felt the ending was a little weak, especially with regards to Matt's dad. I kept expecting Ashley to confront Rex or Ryan with Ryan's old badge and ask what happened at the clock tower, but instead all we get is "lol someone saw Michael".

As for what made the splash Bob's friend heard, people theorize that it was Michael's bag. Makes sense, but why would it take 5 years to float to the surface? How would it last 5 years in a lake anyways? That's one sturdy bag.

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:55 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Robo-Aly
I'm probably going to have to import this and do a bit of messing around to be able to play it on my Wii ;_;

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:55 pm 
Admin
Admin

Custom Title: Deputy of Self-Esteem
Seeing as it's been a while, anyone know of a good place to import Pal games? Or alternatively, willing to let me barrow their copy for a time?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:28 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Well, I don't know where you can import PAL games (since Play-Asia doesn't have that very game, even though it does have some PAL games from time to time), but there's something I can do for you.
One option would be for me to order the game for you, and then send it to you myself (you live in the US, right?).
Then, when you receive the game, you'd pay me back, using PayPal for example.

If you're interested (and/or if you haven't found a better way to get the game), you can just send me an email, and I'll check on Amazon.fr/uk how much the games costs, and what would be the postage fee for sending the game to you. Then, you'll tell me if everything's ok, and I'll send the game if it is still ok with you.
I'm even willing to offer you half (or the whole) postage fees :garyuu:

I COULD HAVE let you borrow mine, but since I left him back at my mother's appartment, which is 1100km away from here, I just can't... xD

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:06 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: OBJECTION!
Hey,
I haven't played the first Trace Memory/Another Code yet. Is it best to play that first?
The PAL version seems quite rare and hard to find at a reasonable (IMO) price. Is the US version available?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:13 pm 
Admin
Admin

L~A wrote:
Well, I don't know where you can import PAL games (since Play-Asia doesn't have that very game, even though it does have some PAL games from time to time), but there's something I can do for you.
One option would be for me to order the game for you, and then send it to you myself (you live in the US, right?).
Then, when you receive the game, you'd pay me back, using PayPal for example.

If you're interested (and/or if you haven't found a better way to get the game), you can just send me an email, and I'll check on Amazon.fr/uk how much the games costs, and what would be the postage fee for sending the game to you. Then, you'll tell me if everything's ok, and I'll send the game if it is still ok with you.
I'm even willing to offer you half (or the whole) postage fees :garyuu:

I COULD HAVE let you borrow mine, but since I left him back at my mother's appartment, which is 1100km away from here, I just can't... xD

Looking at Amazon.Uk, Used goes for 22.99 euro, which is $33.50. Considering I'd be paying ~$50 if it first came out here. This's looking like a deal.

EDIT: Playing around with Amazon.uk, it looks like I can order it, in so far as I'm not sending it to a US address. Would it be alright if I ordered it on amazon.uk and had it shipped to your address? You'll have less money in limbo an then I just have to reimburse you for the international shipping.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:25 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Can you get it in English from Amazon France?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:37 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

@ grim_tales :

1) No, you don't need to have played the first AA to play Another Code: R. Everything you need to know from the first one is mentionned in the 2nd one, so there won't be parts you won't be able to understand if you haven't played the first one. Yet, I suggest you do, because... well, the first one is a really good game, even though quite short... But no, you don't need to have played the first one before you play Another Code: R.

2) the PAL version isn't rare at all...and the price is not that much different from other games... I'd even say it's a little cheaper than regular Wii games.

3) No, there is no US versions available. Which is weird, since the game is published by Nintendo himself. That's not the first time such a thing happened though, take Disaster: Day of Crisis for example. (but this time, it was because NOA wasn't happy about the sales of that game...)

4) you can get it in English from Amazon France, since on the European version of the game (and it's the same for most Nintendo games, it seems), you'll find the 5 main European languages, that is : English, French, Spanish, Italian and German. But your console needs to be set on 'English' for you to play it in English.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 9:32 pm 
Admin
Admin

And we're in business... =) Thank's L~A

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:41 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

L~A wrote:
@ grim_tales :

1) No, you don't need to have played the first AA to play Another Code: R. Everything you need to know from the first one is mentionned in the 2nd one, so there won't be parts you won't be able to understand if you haven't played the first one. Yet, I suggest you do, because... well, the first one is a really good game, even though quite short... But no, you don't need to have played the first one before you play Another Code: R.

2) the PAL version isn't rare at all...and the price is not that much different from other games... I'd even say it's a little cheaper than regular Wii games.

3) No, there is no US versions available. Which is weird, since the game is published by Nintendo himself. That's not the first time such a thing happened though, take Disaster: Day of Crisis for example. (but this time, it was because NOA wasn't happy about the sales of that game...)

4) you can get it in English from Amazon France, since on the European version of the game (and it's the same for most Nintendo games, it seems), you'll find the 5 main European languages, that is : English, French, Spanish, Italian and German. But your console needs to be set on 'English' for you to play it in English.

My bad, I meant that I thought the PAL version of Another Code/Trace Memory (DS) was rare and I want to play that first before the Wii game.
You can get the DS game in English from Amazon.fr?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 7:58 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Ooops. Seems I read your message too fast (not surprising though... :o). Sorry 'bout that.
Ok, so just like Another Code: R, there are the 5 main european languages on the european version of the 1st Another Code.
So, if your DS is set on English, it will work in English :)

But it's not available on Amazon.fr anymore... there is a bunch of third-parties vendors selling it on this website though, but they're all quite expensive. (since the game is + than 4 years old!)
If you'd like to buy it, I suggest you went to Ebay. :phoenix:
That's where I got my copy... for ~8€, shipping costs included. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:11 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Just repeating what you said, sorry. OOps.
Do you know which ones ship to the UK? :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:49 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Well, just go and check on the UK version of ebay, and you'll find what you seek.
You could also look on the French version, but it would be better if you a (very) little French. :)
Alternatively, you could check Amazon.com (US) There are some old copies out there, for a very nice price... and it looks like some vendors DO ship to the UK (from the US). I'd recommend Amazon.com personally, as I'm not that much a fan of ebay, but... well, it's up to you? :pearl:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 pm 
Admin
Admin

Whoop! Another code has landed!

First Impressions:

setting gecko os to play the game: I thought I should have it set to "force pal" as in, force it to play the PAL region game. But nope, it's force NTSC to force the NA region setting. I'm embarrased that it took me trying every setting before getting that right.

As for playing the game, I haven't gotten far yet, just got my ID card. But I'm already I'm love with the characters. Characterization is just as strong and expressive as Hotel Dusk. Actually it feels more like I'm playing Hotel Dusk then Trace Memory thus far (Not a bad thing at all). With the Trace cast.

Thanks again for the shipping L~A

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:55 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Wooster wrote:
As for playing the game, I haven't gotten far yet, just got my ID card. But I'm already I'm love with the characters. Characterization is just as strong and expressive as Hotel Dusk. Actually it feels more like I'm playing Hotel Dusk then Trace Memory thus far (Not a bad thing at all). With the Trace cast.

That's exactly the impression I had when I first finished the game. You really can see very clearly how much the series has matured ever since the first episode on DS, which I think is a sort of prologue to the main story. And you'll see that it gets even much better and 'greater' as you go on through the game... The characters in this game are undoubtly one of the most realistic (psychologically speaking...) I've ever seen in a game. The person who wrote the scenario (don't remember his/her name...) really did a great job. As for the music, I found it absolutely wonderful, one of my favorite game soundtrack ever. (By the way, could you tell me whether it really is Satoshi Okubo, the one who composed HD's soundtrack, who composed the music for this game?)

And I'm glad you received the game. I was sorta worrying about it not reaching your mail box :p
Now, please enjoy what is probably one of the best game ever on Wii, and one of the best game Cing has made so far, along with Hotel Dusk. And consequently, one of my favorite game ever ^^

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:09 am 
Admin
Admin

Okay, it's getting late here but I've made it up to the end of chapter 3.

Spoiler:
It's so hard not to compare the game to Hotel Dusk. Great life like characters, an identical investigation mode, the split screen, Even the jukebox MP3 Player. If there's one thing I miss however from Hotel Dusk, was that Hyde always had something wise to say about any and everything, right down to toilet paper and the calendar on the front desk. Ashely likes to comment about the the status of objects. Very Trace Memory like, but Ashley doesn't generally have anything fun to say unless it involves gross things, like old pots and the barrels of fishing bait. (At least, I assume it's fishing bait)

One thing confuses me a bit. Richard has a photo of Ashley's 14th birthday. In the Foreground is Jessica, Ashley, and Richard. But there's a fourth figure off to the right. Looks too young to be Captain Fox, and too portly to be D (Even disregarding D's state after Blood Edward Island)

It's hard to pick a favorite character. Dan's a big softy, almost a Male Western Rosa, despite his Dunning like role. Matthew's got a good back story. Ron gave me the creeps when I first saw him (Who wears black like that and isn't a villain? But Lunch with him was 200% less sinister then I expected, disregarding his surprise appearance). And Rachel (At least, I think her name was Rachel), she's exactly the kind of prissy drag queen you love to hate. The only characters I have a bit of trouble with are Ashley and Richard. Richard's an idiot, but I can't really hold that against him, he tries. And Ashely plays the role of the victim in every social event, but then again, she IS the victim so her reactions are totally justified (Curse you CiNG and your excellent storytelling)

For trying to put things together ahead of time before the plot tells me. I'm fairly sure John Smith (Awesome PW style name btw) is Matt's Dad. Biggest tip is that Matt wasn't allowed to see him, never mind how much he knows about him. Next guess is that what's-her-face-no-show lady from Lunch is the infamous Pinkie Rabbit thief. She's the only character in this picture who might have a motive for avoiding Ashley like that. Unfortunately, she's the only mentioned living female adult so that kinda defaults my suspicions.

And you're right, the soundtrack is cool. Gotta go find me a rip.

More as I play this game Europe's already gone and loved to death.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 8:49 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Did you check there for the soundtrack? :p
Oh, and you didn't tell me about who composed the soundtrack for this game, as I asked you...

Spoiler:
About Ashley's comments on things, I think that's pretty normal... since after all, she's just a 16 year old teenager, not a +30 year old cynical disillusioned ex-NYPD agent or something :p But she has quite some good comments throughout the game... especially one, in the house of one character... (I won't say anything more).
About Richard's picture of Ashley's 14th bithday, I do think it's Captain Fox... who is... well, you KNOW who he is, right? :p You haven't missed the HD references you've probably come across if you're already at Richard's cottage, have you? Oh, and did you notice this game has some very nice references to Ace Attorney? In the boathouse?

Ron? I don't remember any Ron in this game... maybe you're talking about Ryan? ^^
And no, you can't have already met Rachel. It's Elisabeth you've met (the blond girl, who, as you say, acts like a real princess, and looks so much like... like... another 'princess', right?) And there's something very interesting about her, if you're a fan of the Ace Attorney series :p (Two things actually)

About Ashley playing the role of the victim in every social event... well, as I said, characters in this game are really realistic, psychologically speaking. What's more teenager-like than always playing the victim? ^^

'what's-her-face-no-show lady' >> That's Rachel! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:42 am 
Admin
Admin

L~A wrote:
Did you check there for the soundtrack? :p
Oh, and you didn't tell me about who composed the soundtrack for this game, as I asked you...

Spoiler:
About Ashley's comments on things, I think that's pretty normal... since after all, she's just a 16 year old teenager, not a +30 year old cynical disillusioned ex-NYPD agent or something :p But she has quite some good comments throughout the game... especially one, in the house of one character... (I won't say anything more).
About Richard's picture of Ashley's 14th bithday, I do think it's Captain Fox... who is... well, you KNOW who he is, right? :p You haven't missed the HD references you've probably come across if you're already at Richard's cottage, have you? Oh, and did you notice this game has some very nice references to Ace Attorney? In the boathouse?

Ron? I don't remember any Ron in this game... maybe you're talking about Ryan? ^^
And no, you can't have already met Rachel. It's Elisabeth you've met (the blond girl, who, as you say, acts like a real princess, and looks so much like... like... another 'princess', right?) And there's something very interesting about her, if you're a fan of the Ace Attorney series :p (Two things actually)

About Ashley playing the role of the victim in every social event... well, as I said, characters in this game are really realistic, psychologically speaking. What's more teenager-like than always playing the victim? ^^

'what's-her-face-no-show lady' >> That's Rachel! :)

I admit it, I have a horrible time remembering names, if I can avoid it, I'll totally use Pronouns.

Spoiler:
Yes, I noticed the Ladder/Stepladder joke. XD Experiencing it, there was no way that wasn't a homage to PW. It just lacked the Defense Aid commentary. I've run into Pinky rabbit references all over the place. I was actually surprised that Dan appears to have watched the show growing up. Melissa had no idea what the show was even though Hyde did growing up. Maybe they rebooted the cartoon at some point?

I've run into a few references to Trace Memory, but I'm surprised that Bill hasn't been called by name yet. Particularly since 'Sayoko's Murderer' is a character slot. I really want to get into the Clock Tower so I can see the 'Ghost'.

I can't seem to find any info on the composer online, I guess I'll have to do it the old fashioned way and read the credits. (By golly, reading the credits in a video-game? Who does that?)

Out of curiosity, Does Another Code R have any obscure inter-game connections? Kinda like how in Hotel Dusk we learn that Rosa Fox is Married to Captain (Fox). Or is it all Pinky Rabbit?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 3:11 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

About the composer... well, I thought you could check in the manual (I believe you'll find the name at 'Sound') There's always the credits in the manual of all Cing's game. And oh, I DO read the credits. Always. (That's why I always hated Smash Bros credits... you cannot read everything, and besides, there are way too many people in them! xD)

And I believe there are other inter-game connections, but I can't remember right now.
Spoiler:
I do remember the pictures in the photograph's cottage though. You can see characters from Hotel Dusk in them :p

Spoiler:
Oh, and the ladder/step-ladder isn't the only reference to AA... you'll see when you reach chapter 5, and learn something about Elisabeth. Once again, I don't believe this is a mere coincidence...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:25 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

I just got the 1st DS Trace Memory/Another Code from Ebay, looking forward to playing it :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:47 pm 
Admin
Admin

Huh, I didn't think to look there.
Under sound it says

T's MUSIC Co., Inc
Yuhki Mori
Satoshi Okubo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:03 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Wooster wrote:
T's MUSIC Co., Inc
Yuhki Mori
Satoshi Okubo

HOLY SH*T. Guess I was right. The soundtrack of this game WAS composed by Satoshi Okubo, the same guy who composed HD's soundtrack... no wonder I love those songs sooo much. Each time I listen to Another Code: R's soundtrack, I can help but be amazed to hear what one guy can come up with just a mere synthesizer...

Thanks for the confirmation, Wooster! :garyuu:

Well, go and enjoy yourself, grim_tales! Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did.
And if you do, just try to imagine that you'll undoubtly enjoy the sequel even more so than the original ;)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2009 7:01 pm 
Admin
Admin

Few more observations,

As an American playing the game in British English, this is my first foray into something that hasn't been shielded by localization. I'm a large fan of Terry Prachett's Discworld Books, and Douglas Adam's Hitchhiker's Guide but they've all been corrected for Britishisms. I knew that Americans and the British disagree on where a C and an S goes, and that we Americans have a fundamental phobia of the U vowel. But I was kinda expecting to run into more spelling differences then I had been. As of Chapter 5, I think I've run into about 7 or less words that are different in American English vs British English. That's fairly amazing for a text heavy game, or maybe my expectations were too wild. The only thing that really caught me off guard culturally was referring to the story above the ground level as the first floor.

Exploring the game, the world really is a work of art. Kinda like Okami, but with a western style. I love when Ashley and Matt go running between areas how the world just unfolds and warps itself, kinda like the Book-like world of Pooh Bear. As wander the local areas, like the Clock tower and notice the trees, they look so much like paintings. I sometimes have a hard time believing they're actually 3-D. They look like they were painted, and because Ash and Matt run in a 2-D plain, they almost give the illusion that they're 2-D. But then you can wander around them when Running or when the perspective changes and you know they're cell shaded 3-D. Cell shading really have come a long way since Zelda Wind Waker. As much as I love CiNGs games on the DS, I'm really falling in love with their debut on the Wii, particularly with the split screen technique.

Spoiler:
I met the Rob Fox. I've come the the conclusion that the Fox family is CiNG's version of Final Fantasy's Cid. Still haven't learned anything about him that ties him over to Rosa or the Captain canonically.

Also finally met the other PW tribute with Elizabeth. It really is a small world

And I've gotten far enough that I know that John Smith wasn't who I thought he was. Oh well, That's the fun part of Mystery titles. Trying to guess what really happened and find out you were wrong. It's no fun if you're always right.

Spoiler:
The only odd thing I'm noticing, is that Ashley doesn't seem to have any trouble sharing with everyone that she's hanging out with Matthew, Mr. Wanted Runaway. Granted, the only person thus far he has to hide from is our local friendly forest ranger; but still.

I forget who mentioned it, that CiNG's likely next Trace Memory game would focus on Matthew, and I admit I was skeptical at first, but the more I play R, the more I think he's a good choice to pass the torch. Ashley was kind of grasping at a limb with Another Code: R with her Mother. If there were any unanswered questions at the end of Trace Memory, then Another Code: R more then solves all of her back story and mysteries. Matt's goal to be a scientist gives him the foreplay he needs to develop a good character.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:43 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

I have to totally agree with the description of the landscapes (yes, I'd even call them landscapes :p). This being said, I'm sure you'll absolutely love one very special place, just before the final chapters. It looks a little cliché at first, but it's just so... O_O The music makes the whole thing even more wonderful.

Spoiler:
As for Rob Fox, the owner of the dinner, some people claim he's the son of Rosa and the Captain... which would probably make sense, though we don't any concret proof at all during the game, except the strong ressemblance with Captain Fox.

Spoiler:
And I've gotten far enough that I know that John Smith wasn't who I thought he was. Oh well, That's the fun part of Mystery titles. Trying to guess what really happened and find out you were wrong. It's no fun if you're always right.

Well, you should not judge a book by its cover, right? It also happened a lot of times for me, even though I didn't think the same thing you did about John Smith
Spoiler:
even though I knew this probably wasn't his real name... come on Cing, John Smith smells like a fake name so badly xD

About Ashley and Matt, I have to agree I also found that odd too... but thinking back about it, I guess the other character just don't know about him, just Dan.

I don't know why, but I'm feeling somewhat happy to see someone is enjoying this game as much as I did. I'm glad I helped you import the game :adrian:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:03 pm 
Admin
Admin

Spoiler: Robert
At first I was quite sure that Rob couldn't be Rosa's son. Rosa mentioned to Hyde that her son was a Stock Broker or something, and invited Rosa to come live with him. Small Town Owner of a Diner ≠ Business man. And the proud owner of a small mobile hot dog stand doesn't sound like he can support himself, let alone his mother. On the other hand, he seemed really up to marketing and expanding his Salmon Burgers, which is an odd thing for a nobody type person to be concerned with. Maybe he invested poorly between Dusk and Trace?

Spoiler: Up to Chapter 5ish
I have to say, CiNG is amazing when it comes to characterization. The visit to Elizabeth's house was something I could totally expect happening in real life. Her father acted like a father, the friend like a friend, Liz like a confused teen, Ashley like the poor girl flung into it all.

I visited Charlotte. I have to say, her mannerisms are a total throw back to Grandma Patch. The way she'd lean forward and glare at you with one eye. And oh man, the environment around her house is beautiful, I know it's just a painting, but it's wonderful antiquated and rustic all at once. I enjoyed Ashley's few Hyde-isms when looking at the clocks "No electricity? Maybe it's steam powered".

Using the Recycling Token was a bit of a surprise for me when solving the scale puzzle. Actually, what are the Red Gum balls for? I got one from the diner, but eating it didn't do anything (Restored to save immediately after).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:32 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Spoiler:
You make a real good point about Rob, but now, I'm not so sure about him... (whether he's really Rosa's son). Well, doesn't really matter I guess?

Spoiler:
About Charlotte, I didn't make the link between her and Grandma Patch... Maybe it's just because the character design was made by the same person? Well, I don't really know. By the way, she's really one of those don't-judge-a-book-its-cover character :p
And if you like the environment around her house... just you wait until you can see one part you can't see right now. Probably one of the most beautiful part in the whole game... I found that part really breathtaking ^^

Oh, and did you get into Charlotte's house? Did you see what Ashley says when examining the old phone? :p I really laughed when I read her comment xD

About the red gums/Cool Pop (or something)/the chips = they don't have any special use at all. You just eat/drink them, and you get a nice smile from Ashley, just like in the first game (remember the candies Captain Fox gives you?). I haven't heard of any special use or anything. It's the same with the goodies you can buy at the front desk, near the entrance of the camping site.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:02 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

I hope I will enjoy it, LA. But I'm going to play Another Code DS and then Another Code R, in that order.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:44 pm 
Admin
Admin

Okay, it's been a while but I've finally beaten the game. I have to say, wow. CiNG doesn't let you down with story telling.

Spoiler: Megatons
Some little things I really liked.

I knew going into JC Valley that Matt wasn't going to be allowed to follow in. The climax at the facility was Ashley's and her's alone. Matt tagging along would've detracted from that. This makes sense from a story teller's perspective, but that doesn't mean Ashley should feel that way in the least. I really enjoyed how she really fought with 'Gina' to let Matt enter. Then Gina pulled the trump card and mentioned that the Police would be over soon. Aw man, poor Matt. It was a really authentic telling for getting some simple plot event over with.

As for Sofia, I thought it was interesting how she can switch from the Mustachioed cackling villain to someone with a little depth with her relationship with Rex and Rachel. I'm unsure if that's due to something being slapped on her at the end, or if it's something more subtle like not Judging a character until you got to know her.

Ryan, when you get to the end, his story makes sense. With your memories erased like that, you would become cold and detached. On the other hand, I'm unsure what pre-amnesia Ryan would be like.

My one disappointment with the title was with Bill. He was scantly mentioned even though he was the one who dun it. I did buy that Ryan wanted to off her, and it was in character for him to manipulate Bill into doing it. But I kind of felt cheated in a way. Suddenly it 'feels' like Bill's vendetta was washed away. Oh they establish time and time again that Bill shot her, but it was really like 'we have to establish this just to be canonical'. But this is goose down compared to a rather enjoyable game.

I do miss finding the DTS/DAS cards from Trace Memory. But I suppose that's what Richard's trivia about Lake Juliet is for in the replay. I'm sure I'll be replaying this.

Then there's the music player. I definitely recognized a lot of the Trace Memory sound track in the latter part of the game. But I was pleasantly surprised when I checked the iPod at the beginning of the second play through. The entire Trace Memory soundtrack is there. I didn't see that in the MP3 collection I got a while ago. They sound nice remastered. My only whiny pants complaint was that the opening sequence music, with the dual D's Father murder and Sayoko's murder. That was pleasantly eerie music, so I'm mildly disappointed that it was missing.

I know people were upset that Matt didn't get closure, but I'm not worried in the slightest. That's what sequels are for. Though, I do admit, I was surprised that he quite willfully went back to his Uncle who was going to send him off to boarding school. I thought for sure with the sibling-like relationship Matt and Ashley had developed that Richard would offer to adopt him. But no, Matt goes his own way. I really have to hand it to CiNG, despite the larger then life characters and personalities, they really play their roles realistically.

Now comes the hard part. Gotta wait for Again Eye of Providence, then Hotel Dusk 2, and THEN Trace Memory 3. Oh CiNG, why do you give me so much to look forward to, this is going to be a hard wait.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:06 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Call me Ishmael.
Is it true that the game has photos of Hotel Dusk characters? O_O I read this on GameFAQs and now I want to see them...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 7:59 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Yes, it does have. However, if you've read that on GameFaqs, you know the pictures aren't exactly big, and personally, even I didn't notice during my first playthrough. I doubt we could find any picture on the internet (even though that would be neat), but who knows?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:52 am 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Custom Title: Call me Ishmael.
You know what? Never mind, I found them on a forum.

Spoiler: Saving space

I remember when we speculated that Rosa's husband was the captain from AC:TM. And now it's confirmed, we even get to meet their son, Bob! :edgy:

The guy next to Louis... Could it be Summer? I don't think they ever talked to each other save for in the bar though, so it would make more sense if it was Kyle.

As for the third picture... The girl looks more like Melissa than Jenny but the old man looks more like Dunning than Kevin. Weird.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:49 pm 
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney

Nice job in finding this picture!

Spoiler:
The first one looks like Rosa and her husband alright.
One the second one, I've got no trouble recognizing Louie, but I do for the person besides him... If that's Kyle, I didn't know he wore glasses... or it's just an impression.
On the last one, I think it looks like Dunning and his daughter, even though I agree the woman kinda looks like Melissa.

So, well, I don't know. :sadshoe:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:57 pm 
Admin
Admin

Huh, I'm confused who's with Louie. It looks like a Blond Summers with those yellow tinted sunglasses that went out of style in the 70's. Hyde would make sense, but I'm not sure he'd be caught dead in a Polo Shirt.

I don't really recognize Dunning, but the suspenders do give him away, and I agree that the person he should've been would've been Jenny, but she looks more like an older Melissa.

Oh CiNG, playing with our minds like this, I wouldn't have it any other way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next