Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Trip! Talk about stuff Boosted off of Cing's Hotel Dusk, AND Pirate Grandmas.
Croik
Admin
Admin
Posts: 5255
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:16 am
Custom Title: nuuuuu, stoooooop
Location: America
Contact:

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Croik »

Wooster wrote:Personally, I suspect that the broken flow is due to the author reading from the in game script. The broken flow happens almost exactly during moments in game where Hyde has a monologue in the middle of a conversation, for instance. I suspect it had more to deal with deadlines then writing a good standalone eBook.


This is the case with the Japanese version as well. Granted I didn't spend much time reading the novel, but when I did it felt like Kyle would monologue about one thing, then switch subjects, and then back, like the author forgot something they wanted to slip in. So I don't think you can blame the translator on that.

/kneejerk defense of translators >.>
ImageImage
L~A
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by L~A »

/kneejerk defense of translators >.>


He he, yeah, way to go boy! Let us not allow them drag our names in the mud! I-I mean, you're right Croik. I think the translators have done a wonderful job with the translation of the main game itself, so even if it was their fault the novel is 'a bit weird', it'd be not that bad. After all, I don't think they had so much time to translate the novel itself, they must've had focused on the game itself, I think.

And let's not forget that some parts appear in the novel according to what you do in the game... meaning, there are some 'independent' parts that are added here and there, adding to the impression of 'broken flow'.
ImageImageImage
Phoenix Soul
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 150
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:43 am
Custom Title: .......

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Phoenix Soul »

Wooster wrote:Alright, I've beaten CiNG's last game. I'll post my thoughts later, but first, any one figure out what the reward is for not opening the classified files? I seem to be missing some songs at the end of the JukeBox.

Speaking of the classified files, I actually invite you to take a peek at them, should you feel brave. You'll learn interesting trivia about Hyde, Including his TEN HOUR SWIM around manhattan. The dude needs a better hobby.


I thought the classified files were far more interesting than the main novel, personally. I haven't read all of them yet,

Spoiler: Classified Files
I really liked the one when Kyle first moved into Cape West, and did so much grunting while unpacking that Tony checked on him, and Kyle, unaware that he was grunting, then spent the rest of the evening finding out exactly what triggered it, and then next day, proudly told Tony that he only grunted when he lifted anything heavier than ten kilos, or when he opened a jar. I thought that was really cute, and true to character.


No one seems to be entirely sure what the reward is for not opening the files. I've heard that it's the Epilogue, but I've also heard that the reward is unlocking all the songs in the Jukebox. Just in case anyone isn't aware of this, you can read all the Classified Files (and the novel) on a Cleared Game Save.
L~A
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by L~A »

I don't think it's the song, as it's always been (in Cing games) something you'd unlock just by completing the game.
I do think the reward is the epilogue though, which makes sense after all. Getting a 'better' ending seems logical if you haven't used any clue to discover all the secrets of Cape West. And in HD,

Spoiler:
you'd get the real ending by playing the game a second time AND by not getting any game over at all.


In any case, I was sort of disappointed there wasn't any real 'New Game +' feature in this game.
ImageImageImage
levy120
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 4:28 pm
Custom Title: Of course it has Mushu
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by levy120 »

I saw it at the Gamestop of my School Town today, but I sadly didn't carry enough money with me.
I'll be definitely going to get it tomorrow though =)
"Just when I thought my opinion of the legal system couldn't get any lower, along came Stan." - Guybrush Threepwood
"OBJECTION!" - "Objection what?" - "Objection HIM!"
User avatar
Shadowz
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:38 pm
Custom Title: Mayaaaaa!
Location: Lone Wanderer.

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Shadowz »

I still can't believe that Cing filed for bankruptcy, that's what made me like :zennybw:
Astro A40s !
Arei
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1313
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:37 am
Custom Title: Scientifically Magical Detective O_o
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Arei »

I know, I do hope they come out of it. I would hate for this to be the end of Kyle's story ;_;

Finally got my copy in the mail today :godot: Can't wait to get started, hopefully the not so cheap import is totally worth it.
Dypo
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 287
Joined: Sun May 30, 2010 10:52 am
Custom Title: Overworked Sprite Artist
Location: Exactly where you least expect me to be

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Dypo »

I FINALLY ACQUIRED A COPY OF THE LAST WINDOW!!!11!1!!one

...Ahem. What I meant to say is that I'm very glad to have acquired a copy of this awesome game. :D
Image Image
Arei
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1313
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2007 3:37 am
Custom Title: Scientifically Magical Detective O_o
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Arei »

Is it just me or is the dialog really cut and dry in this game? .___. It could just be me or the localization fail, but the dialog doesn't have the personalized-to-character spark like in Hotel Dusk and Kyle is not a snarky asshole anymore. And I really have no feeling for the characters so far (not too far into Chapter 5 right now) like I did in Hotel Dusk, good, bad, or otherwise D: I like how it's alot more interactive and I'm enjoying the mystery. But the fact Kyle says he's no longer going to chase after Bradley CRUSHES MY HEAARRRRTTTT
OniXera
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 389
Joined: Sun May 17, 2009 5:44 am
Custom Title: Criticus Maximus
Location: Australia
Contact:

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by OniXera »

Arei wrote:Is it just me or is the dialog really cut and dry in this game? .___. It could just be me or the localization fail, but the dialog doesn't have the personalized-to-character spark like in Hotel Dusk and Kyle is not a snarky asshole anymore. And I really have no feeling for the characters so far (not too far into Chapter 5 right now) like I did in Hotel Dusk, good, bad, or otherwise D: I like how it's alot more interactive and I'm enjoying the mystery. But the fact Kyle says he's no longer going to chase after Bradley CRUSHES MY HEAARRRRTTTT


Oh no, the characters have more to them than what it seemed in one night.

Seriously. Hotel Dusk took place within one night, it was only a smidge of Kyle's personality and character that was showcased there. You surely don't think that Bradley was Kyle's only driving point and purpose to life, do you? Kyle was only at The Dusk because he was on a job.
Cyrus de Killer
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1192
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:39 pm
Custom Title: 太多時間
Location: UK

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Cyrus de Killer »

Just beaten the game recently, I gotta say, the soundtrack and the characters are just AWESOME! >o

Much better than Hotel Dusk imo.

Kyle is smexy in a suit =3
Let us dye the world in despair, and bring a dismal end to this fairy tale.
Image
Marche Tobaye
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2434
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 4:16 pm
Custom Title: Call me Ishmael.
Location: Sweden

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Marche Tobaye »

Arei wrote:Is it just me or is the dialog really cut and dry in this game? .___. It could just be me or the localization fail, but the dialog doesn't have the personalized-to-character spark like in Hotel Dusk and Kyle is not a snarky asshole anymore. And I really have no feeling for the characters so far (not too far into Chapter 5 right now) like I did in Hotel Dusk, good, bad, or otherwise D: I like how it's alot more interactive and I'm enjoying the mystery. But the fact Kyle says he's no longer going to chase after Bradley CRUSHES MY HEAARRRRTTTT

But, wishful fangirl thinking aside, Bradley's final (?) request was that Kyle should stop looking for him and move on, since he will most likely get killed by Nile.
Wife: sparkleranger78, daughter: feedmechocolate247
Akiak
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:30 pm
Custom Title: Perpetual Prosecutor
Location: Wherever, whenever, whatever.

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Akiak »

FINALLY back. I missed this thread.

I love taking my time to play, so I just finished Last Window!!
I'm in love with the two games and I even prefer them to the AA series. Great gameplay, story, artwork and music. I'll definitely miss Cing. :sadshoe:

And I really enjoyed the epilogue in the novel, and the Nine-ball game which you unlock at the end.
Wooster
Admin
Admin
Posts: 3449
Joined: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:36 pm
Custom Title: Deputy of Self-Esteem
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Wooster »

I could never get the hang of the 9Ball game... but that's likely because I never really tried.


Although, shame on CiNG for introducing us to the pool table on Christmas Eve!
Image
Bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump - bump
Akiak
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:30 pm
Custom Title: Perpetual Prosecutor
Location: Wherever, whenever, whatever.

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Akiak »

I play it all the time, whenever I want to listen to the awesome game music.

It's definitely better than the "break-shot" version we got to play in-game. It took me hours to beat Tony, Sidney and Claire. :meekins:
Bolt Storm
Admin
Admin
Posts: 3303
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:05 pm
Custom Title: 元・超会社員級の管理人
Location: Hiding beneath the judge's desk
Contact:

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Bolt Storm »

If I remember correctly I took down Tony and Sidney but then Claire wiped the floor with me. No special food for Kyle.
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!
Wooster wrote:If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.
DeMatador
Moderators
Moderators
Posts: 3188
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:34 pm
Custom Title: They don't :c
Location: http://www.ezilon.com/maps/images/south ... entina.gif
Contact:

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by DeMatador »

Bolt Storm wrote:If I remember correctly I took down Tony and Sidney but then Claire wiped the floor with me. No special food for Kyle.


Ah, yes, I remember Claire kicking my ass too. But I just couldn't get mad, she's too damn cute. Don't recall how well I did against the others though, I'm pretty sure I beat Sidney but I could be wrong.

I need to replay HD and LW now.
Image
Akiak
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:30 pm
Custom Title: Perpetual Prosecutor
Location: Wherever, whenever, whatever.

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Akiak »

Only Tony beat me, but I found out I didn't miss out on much.

I'm currently in the process of reading all of the classified files. I expected them to be simple hints for the puzzles but they're much more interesting. I recommend playing Distant Memory as you read them. :yogi:

Who did you give the cheque to? I gave it to Tony, but you can give it to Sidney or Marie later on. On my second playthrough I think I'll give it to Sidney for that extra-special champagne bottle. I like him more than Marie.
Lynssl
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:38 pm
Custom Title: *Skips*
Location: In a field of Butterflies.

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Lynssl »

So....

There is no hope for this game to be released in America?

I don't play video games anymore, and for the most part have no interest in them, but I've played Hotel Dusk a million times over and I really would love to play this game. I just don't know about spending the money and buying over-seas..
Rov
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3035
Joined: Thu May 17, 2007 12:44 pm
Custom Title: AKA Dr. Bokchoy
Location: Ontario, Canada

There is no hope

Post by Rov »

Nope, none at all. Importing a game is really only like $10 more than buying it local. Or you could try to find it used on eBay or something.
Akiak
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2009 1:30 pm
Custom Title: Perpetual Prosecutor
Location: Wherever, whenever, whatever.

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confirmed

Post by Akiak »

I'd pay $100 for this game, just sayin
grim_tales
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2603
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:18 am
Custom Title: OBJECTION!
Location: St. Albans, England, UK

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confi

Post by grim_tales »

The break-shot game took me a while (it all depends on stylus action) but I eventually beat Tony, Sidney and Claire and then could pot more than 1 ball per shot.
I love Claire, she's just too cute and I'd have a crush on her in real life :)
The soundtrack is brilliant, especially Believe, and Promise - lovely ballads, and the jazz is just smooth and COOL.
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....
L~A
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1109
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:20 pm
Contact:

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confi

Post by L~A »

Tony and Sidney aren't hard to beat... but Claire really is. Never managed to beat her, though I'll admit I didn't try many times either...
But yeah, didn't prevent her from becoming my favorite character anyway :p
ImageImageImage
User avatar
TheIdioteque
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:11 am
Location: Alabama

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confi

Post by TheIdioteque »

Just ordered the European import of this game off Amazon for $15. Can't wait for it to get here. Damn Cing for not bringing this to the U.S!
User avatar
D.A. McCoy
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1586
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am
Custom Title: Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confi

Post by D.A. McCoy »

TheIdioteque wrote:Just ordered the European import of this game off Amazon for $15. Can't wait for it to get here. Damn Cing for not bringing this to the U.S!
Be prepared for the strange, bulky European DS case.

I did this a while ago, still haven't played it though.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.
User avatar
TheIdioteque
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:11 am
Location: Alabama

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confi

Post by TheIdioteque »

I'm pretty stoked for it. I'm actually playing through Hotel Dusk again in anticipation for it to get here. Too bad it won't be until around the middle of March before it arrives.
User avatar
D.A. McCoy
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1586
Joined: Fri May 25, 2012 1:46 am
Custom Title: Doing the drywall at the new McDonalds

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confi

Post by D.A. McCoy »

TheIdioteque wrote:I'm pretty stoked for it. I'm actually playing through Hotel Dusk again in anticipation for it to get here. Too bad it won't be until around the middle of March before it arrives.
When I ordered it the estimate was over a month from when I placed the order, but I got in like a week and a half. Don't get your hopes up, just in case, but I'd say there's a good chance it will come before.

I actually still haven't played it yet as I was going to go back through Hotel Dusk again as well. I'll get around to it at some point.
I used to have Sam Waterston as my avatar but photobucket added a watermark and also Law & Order has been cancelled for 10 years so it's time for me to move on.
User avatar
TheIdioteque
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 205
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:11 am
Location: Alabama

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confi

Post by TheIdioteque »

L~A wrote:Tony and Sidney aren't hard to beat... but Claire really is. Never managed to beat her, though I'll admit I didn't try many times either...
But yeah, didn't prevent her from becoming my favorite character anyway :p
Weird. Tony and Sidney wiped the floor with me, but I had no problem beating Claire.
grim_tales
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2603
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:18 am
Custom Title: OBJECTION!
Location: St. Albans, England, UK

Re: Last Window: The Secret of Cape West (Localisation Confi

Post by grim_tales »

I'm sure there was a Pokemon reference when Kyle says "I like suits, they're comfy and easy to wear" which made me laugh :D

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/i-like-sh ... sy-to-wear :D
Nick and Maya - Friends and Lovers....
Post Reply