Pleading Eyes wrote:I think Edgey and Gumshoe weren't very well characterized either.
I agree with your points regarding Gumshoe. It was definitely a step backwards from his characterization in the original PW trilogy, but I was willing to forgive all the technical inaccuracies and inconsistencies because his dialogue was still just so gosh-darned lovable. Like it or not, Gumshoe (at least in my opinion) was always more of a comedic relief character than one to be taken seriously. So long as

had some screentime with

, and so long as he seemed his usual jovial self, I really didn't mind.
As for Edgeworth, I think it's a necessary sacrifice of actually playing as him (as opposed to playing as Phoenix.) When you're Phoenix, Edgeworth always seemed a step ahead in the logic game; he knew the answers when you were struggling to put the pieces together. Now that we're seeing things from Edgeworth's perspective, though, the game would just be
too easy if you had the benefit of his astounding intellect. I do appreciate that the writers made him sufficiently different from (yet at the same time, clearly influenced by and comparable to) Phoenix.
And I do think the writers did a great job of portraying Edgeworth as
a lot smarter than Phoenix while simultaneously ensuring that there were still things to do and mysteries to solve. (Though the game was, in my opinion, actually a little
too easy precisely because Edgey seemed to often telegraph the answers in advance. And whereas Phoenix seemed to genuinely struggle against the odds in PW, which raised the stakes and elevated dramatic tension, in AAI I never felt that Edgeworth's ultimate victory was in doubt.)
Franny

was actually my biggest disappointment. They had crafted her in such an amazing way throughout the original PW trilogy, enabling her to gradually experience meaningful character growth as she went from "cold-hearted whip-wielding villainess" to "an increasingly sympathetic and likable tsundere." She had moments of vulnerability and moments of empathy in the original trilogy, like when

gave her the tulips, when she cried in front of

, when she was really concerned upon learning that

fell from the bridge, and when she reacted poorly to

's criticism.
...Then in AAI, supposedly after the events of Trials and Tribulations, Franny really reverted back to her old self. The character growth was largely erased. It was disappointing.
As a

+

shipper, I found a way to fit that regression into my theory that Franny needs Phoenix to keep her grounded, but even still, I'd have preferred the "new" Franny instead of the "old" one to make an appearance.