SuperAj3's Sprites!

For rips or edits of PW:AA / GS game sprites and related art.
Post Reply
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by SuperAj3 »

New Sprite!

Image
This character was requested on DeviantART by a user, but I thought as it was an Ace Attorney sprite she wanted, I'll upload it here
mercurialSK
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:42 am
Contact:

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by mercurialSK »

Oh, the shading on the shirt is nice, if a bit confusing around the chest. The sleeves are cute and the hair is pretty. The eyes appear a little blank since there's no real light in them, not sure if that's what you're going for. Is it referenced off anything?
AAO general / C-R dead-ish / deviantart slowly filling
Image
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by SuperAj3 »

mercurialSK wrote:Oh, the shading on the shirt is nice, if a bit confusing around the chest. The sleeves are cute and the hair is pretty. The eyes appear a little blank since there's no real light in them, not sure if that's what you're going for. Is it referenced off anything?
This was the reference I worked off: link

It was hard to draw from scratch, so I can only get better! (I find it easier to place each pixel separately rather than draw the image, hand drawing with a tablet, then trying to convert to sprite is hard for me, so I just use my mouse and place each pixel.)
mercurialSK
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:42 am
Contact:

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by mercurialSK »

Oh, I see.
SuperAj3 wrote:(I find it easier to place each pixel separately rather than draw the image, hand drawing with a tablet, then trying to convert to sprite is hard for me, so I just use my mouse and place each pixel.)
Heh, I agree. But recently my speedspriting method involves using the brush tool to paint a quick base, converting, then placing pixels one at a time. How long does it take you to do a sprite with your method?
AAO general / C-R dead-ish / deviantart slowly filling
Image
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by SuperAj3 »

mercurialSK wrote:How long does it take you to do a sprite with your method?
About 2 hours or so. This last one was on and off, so it was around 3 hours. (I haven't actually seen how long I take when I sprite haha, but I know roughly the start and ending times.)
mercurialSK
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:42 am
Contact:

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by mercurialSK »

Cool. That's pretty quick. Less than half the time of mine.

Congrats on 500 posts! :will:
AAO general / C-R dead-ish / deviantart slowly filling
Image
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by SuperAj3 »

mercurialSK wrote:Cool. That's pretty quick. Less than half the time of mine.

Congrats on 500 posts! :will:
Haha, I just realised I had made 500 haha :basil:
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by SuperAj3 »

Now that the cup's over, I can post my entry:
It's not that good compared to the finalists though,
Image
ApolloGrimoire
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 272
Joined: Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:16 pm
Custom Title: Seasoned Animator

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by ApolloGrimoire »

Why?

I think it looks fantastic!
Like the creator of Final Fantasy, I'm better at telling a story.
If you need help animating Ace Attorney sprite sheets, I'm your man.

Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Project Justice - Co-developed with Hesseldahl
Case 1 - Nursing the Turnabout: Trial Former, Trial Latter
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by SuperAj3 »

A new Sprite!!!
This one was done completely differently to how I usually make my sprites, and that is I drew this with my tablet at this size, then scaled down the colours. I think this method'll be the best for the future. (I kinda started off easy with AJ Nick)
Image
Yash K. Productions
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1496
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:04 pm
Custom Title: Atuyhan Ihdamdhas
Location: Tehm'pul Temple

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by Yash K. Productions »

Hey, since Rajin left C-R, do you think you can do an entire Athena sheet? (Including the "Gah!) I could use it for my fangame.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by SuperAj3 »

GyakutenFanatic wrote:Hey, since Rajin left C-R, do you think you can do an entire Athena sheet? (Including the "Gah!) I could use it for my fangame.
I'm kind of busy at the moment with things outside, so I may not have time to, but if I could find some screens of Athena's emotions (I may have to look at playthroughs for her animations), I might try one or two.
Nearavex
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:51 pm
Custom Title: Y'know

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by Nearavex »

SuperAj3 wrote:A new Sprite!!!
This one was done completely differently to how I usually make my sprites, and that is I drew this with my tablet at this size, then scaled down the colours. I think this method'll be the best for the future. (I kinda started off easy with AJ Nick)
Image
You've made great job on the head, but something about the way his clothes look is weird...
 
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by SuperAj3 »

Nearavex wrote:
SuperAj3 wrote:A new Sprite!!!
This one was done completely differently to how I usually make my sprites, and that is I drew this with my tablet at this size, then scaled down the colours. I think this method'll be the best for the future. (I kinda started off easy with AJ Nick)
Image
You've made great job on the head, but something about the way his clothes look is weird...
Thanks! I think the shading looks odd. I tried to base it off of his side-bench sprites in AJ, but that's not facing the same direction as AAI characters do.
Yash K. Productions
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1496
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:04 pm
Custom Title: Atuyhan Ihdamdhas
Location: Tehm'pul Temple

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by Yash K. Productions »

SuperAj3 wrote:
GyakutenFanatic wrote:Hey, since Rajin left C-R, do you think you can do an entire Athena sheet? (Including the "Gah!) I could use it for my fangame.
I'm kind of busy at the moment with things outside, so I may not have time to, but if I could find some screens of Athena's emotions (I may have to look at playthroughs for her animations), I might try one or two.
I can take some screencaps on Miiverse then rip them from my computer, then I can send them to you.
POHLKUNKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by SuperAj3 »

GyakutenFanatic wrote:
SuperAj3 wrote:
GyakutenFanatic wrote:Hey, since Rajin left C-R, do you think you can do an entire Athena sheet? (Including the "Gah!) I could use it for my fangame.
I'm kind of busy at the moment with things outside, so I may not have time to, but if I could find some screens of Athena's emotions (I may have to look at playthroughs for her animations), I might try one or two.
I can take some screencaps on Miiverse then rip them from my computer, then I can send them to you.
That's actually a smart idea! I can do that myself, don't worry, thanks for offering!
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by SuperAj3 »

New OC!
This is an OC I made, who is a band member, and sports a Phony Phanty shirt:
Image
Last edited by SuperAj3 on Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anyare
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:02 pm
Custom Title: Pixel Artist
Location: Shadow Realm

Re: SuperAj3's sprites NEW! 16/3/2014

Post by Anyare »

Wow. I can really see the improvement from your old works and your new ones. Keep it up!
SuperAj3 wrote:Image
I really like this one though. So much work for that one animation!
You might want to anti-alias though. Smoothen the sharp edges a bit. Just a suggestion. ( :kristoph: )
( - )
Sprite Thread
( - )
mercurialSK
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:42 am
Contact:

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by mercurialSK »

SuperAj3 wrote:New OC!
This is an OC I made, who is a band member, and sports a Phony Phanty shirt:
Image
Heh, that's very nice. The shading on the arm really makes it and the Phanty looks pretty good. Perhaps there could be more contrast in the shades of the hair? It's a little too subtle.

Edit: I take it's an AAI sprite? I'm not sure on the correct positioning for those but it looks a little too much in the centre...
AAO general / C-R dead-ish / deviantart slowly filling
Image
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by SuperAj3 »

mercurialSK wrote: Heh, that's very nice. The shading on the arm really makes it and the Phanty looks pretty good. Perhaps there could be more contrast in the shades of the hair? It's a little too subtle.

Edit: I take it's an AAI sprite? I'm not sure on the correct positioning for those but it looks a little too much in the centre...
Thanks a bunch! It is an AAI sprite, I just centre the sprite for animations, if I use it in a fan game (Which I might), I'll move the character more to the side. (Is that what you mean by too much in the centre?) As for hair shading, it took a while getting the colours to look right, I'll add some more contrast to it and see how it turns out! (I also need to fix his chin/mouth a little.)

EDIT: On that note, how about this? (I also animated him talking)
ImageImage
Anyare wrote: I really like this one though. So much work for that one animation!
You might want to anti-alias though. Smoothen the sharp edges a bit. Just a suggestion. ( :kristoph: )
Thanks :basil: I really worked hard on that Fulbright one, and was a little shot down it didn't make the finals. I wanted it to be the same amount of colours as an PW sprite, so I did keep it looking a little rough, I'll anti-alias it and smooth out some of the shading!
Last edited by SuperAj3 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites NEW! 16/3/2014

Post by SuperAj3 »

New Pose:
Image
I'm planning on touching this one up when I animate it, but I thought I'd post a still. (Trying to keep the character looking consistent with each pose is difficult!)
mercurialSK
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:42 am
Contact:

Re: SuperAj3's sprites NEW! 16/3/2014

Post by mercurialSK »

SuperAj3 wrote:(Trying to keep the character looking consistent with each pose is difficult!)
It helps if you draw up some references for yourself. :edgey:

With a pose like that, I wonder what animation it could be...
AAO general / C-R dead-ish / deviantart slowly filling
Image
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites NEW! 16/3/2014

Post by SuperAj3 »

Forgot to add this, but I've updated the shading on my Hobo Nick AAI sprite
Image
Mary Faraday
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1230
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:38 pm
Custom Title: Mrs. Jeon Jungkook ♥
Location: Austria

Re: SuperAj3's sprites NEW! 16/3/2014

Post by Mary Faraday »

Yep, they look good, especially those smileys are so cute!

Hope to see more, keep up the good work!
The beginning was quite fun, just with all the ups and downs
But suddenly, we’re tired, from a waste of meaningless emotions
시작은 뭐 즐거웠었네 오르락내리락 그 자체로 어느새 서로 지쳐버렸네 의미 없는 감정소모에
Trivia 轉 : Seesaw
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites NEW! 16/3/2014

Post by SuperAj3 »

mercurialSK wrote: With a pose like that, I wonder what animation it could be...
You're in luck! (But it's not all that special haha)

Updated pose for Dimitri:
Image
EDIT: Accidentally deleted 2nd pose when updating my photobucket :beef: (re-posted in 1st page post though.)
Last edited by SuperAj3 on Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ropfa
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:00 pm
Custom Title: Dracarys!
Location: In a courtroom, for some reason

Re: SuperAj3's sprites NEW! 16/3/2014

Post by Ropfa »

SuperAj3 wrote:Updated pose for Dimitri:
Image Image
Hmm... In that left one, the wrist kind of jerks down as he brings his arm up. When he does that, it bends at a weird angle. It looks a bit like it's being dislocated.
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites NEW! 16/3/2014

Post by SuperAj3 »

Ropfa wrote:
SuperAj3 wrote:Updated pose for Dimitri:
Image Image
Hmm... In that left one, the wrist kind of jerks down as he brings his arm up. When he does that, it bends at a weird angle. It looks a bit like it's being dislocated.
I wanted to make it like he was shaking his bracelet out of the way haha (like a mannerism) :meekins: . I've reanimated it now to make it look a little more like he's shaking his fist. How's this?
Image Image

Which one looks better as a start- up animation?

EDIT: After 4 hours of work, I've designed and sprited a new OC!
Image
He's the lead of the band the "Guilt Trips" and Dimitri's senior. (Dimitri is the pink haired one above)
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: AJ's Sprites! - New OC!

Post by SuperAj3 »

Bump.

I found a bunch of old edits/sprites I made back in 2010 I thought I'd like to add here:
Spoiler: OLD Works
Image

Image

Image

Image Image
Hesseldahl
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 am
Custom Title: Scratch spriter
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: AJ's Sprites! - New OC!

Post by Hesseldahl »

SuperAj3 wrote:Bump.

I found a bunch of old edits/sprites I made back in 2010 I thought I'd like to add here:
Spoiler: OLD Works
Image

Image

Image

Image Image
I really like the Maggey Byrde one :sparkly-maggey:
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: AJ's Sprites! - New OC!

Post by SuperAj3 »

This isn't so much a sprite, but it is a WIP scene from my fangame. (I've made it DS size, but if there's anything out of place in terms of anatomy of the room and the victim, please comment. Things like finer details and shading will be added, they'll just take a lot longer than some initial outlines and colours.)
Spoiler: Murder scene
Initial lines & colour
Image

Finished lines (partial) and proper colour(partial)
Image
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: AJ's Sprites!

Post by SuperAj3 »

Murder scene completed!
Image
Hesseldahl
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 am
Custom Title: Scratch spriter
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by Hesseldahl »

SuperAj3 wrote:New OC!
This is an OC I made, who is a band member, and sports a Phony Phanty shirt:
Image
I really like Dimitri, It´s pretty original compared to a lot of OC´s here so i make a drawing, i want to know if i can upload this to my DA page
Spoiler: Dimitri Bastiel
Image
I hope you like it :redd:
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by SuperAj3 »

Hesseldahl wrote:
SuperAj3 wrote:New OC!
This is an OC I made, who is a band member, and sports a Phony Phanty shirt:
Image
I really like Dimitri, It´s pretty original compared to a lot of OC´s here so i make a drawing, i want to know if i can upload this to my DA page
Spoiler: Dimitri Bastiel
Image
I hope you like it :redd:
That's totally Awesome! :redd: I love it!
Sure you can upload it! Thanks for liking the character design!
Hesseldahl
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 am
Custom Title: Scratch spriter
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: SuperAj3's sprites

Post by Hesseldahl »

SuperAj3 wrote:
Hesseldahl wrote:
SuperAj3 wrote:New OC!
This is an OC I made, who is a band member, and sports a Phony Phanty shirt:
Image
I really like Dimitri, It´s pretty original compared to a lot of OC´s here so i make a drawing, i want to know if i can upload this to my DA page
Spoiler: Dimitri Bastiel
Image
I hope you like it :redd:
That's totally Awesome! :redd: I love it!
Sure you can upload it! Thanks for liking the character design!
I´m glad you like it! :jake:
TheDoctor
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 926
Joined: Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:05 pm
Custom Title: Wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey...

Re: AJ's Sprites! - New OC!

Post by TheDoctor »

SuperAj3 wrote:Bump.

I found a bunch of old edits/sprites I made back in 2010 I thought I'd like to add here:
Spoiler: OLD Works
Image

Image

Image

Image Image
The von Karma recolors are pretty sweet. Any chance for a full set?
Image
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: AJ's Sprites! - New OC!

Post by SuperAj3 »

TheDoctor wrote:The von Karma recolors are pretty sweet. Any chance for a full set?
These were back when I was beginning to sprite, so I never made the full set, but I can recolour the other sprites some time soon!
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAJ3's Sprites! (Update 6/6/14)

Post by SuperAj3 »

Another OC!
Image
I've seen a few OC's attempt the afro, so I gave it a shot. (Those are drumsticks sticking out btw, it's convenient, no? :maya:)
Any comments/criticisms are welcome!
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAJ3's Sprites! (Update 6/6/14)

Post by SuperAj3 »

This was requested more than once, and at first I wasn't sure how to do it, but it actually came out nicely! I'm working on fixing the bench transition now.
Full Courtroom revamp with transition:
Spoiler:
Image
Also, I'm in the process of trying to remake the main characters' DS sprites using their HD sprites, I think I've found a working method (I'm also filling in the blank frames on the HD sprites as well, so if I finish a character, I'll add their HD sprite missing frames):
ImageImage
EDIT: More in 1st post on Page 1
Last edited by SuperAj3 on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercurialSK
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:42 am
Contact:

Re: SuperAJ3's Sprites! (Update 6/6/14)

Post by mercurialSK »

Wow, they look really good. It looks a little like the sprites might have a few too many colours since they're really smooth, but that's not really too big of an issue. The courtroom's come out really nicely as well. Awesome work.
AAO general / C-R dead-ish / deviantart slowly filling
Image
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: SuperAJ3's Sprites! (Update 6/6/14)

Post by SuperAj3 »

mercurialSK wrote:Wow, they look really good. It looks a little like the sprites might have a few too many colours since they're really smooth, but that's not really too big of an issue. The courtroom's come out really nicely as well. Awesome work.
Thanks! :basil:
And yeah, the HD sprites when shrunk do have a lot of colours in the blending between the shades. These could be good for cases with all HD characters.
I'll try to finish as much of Maya tonight, I've got a bunch of free time now :godot:
Post Reply