Decisive Evidence (Spoilers)(PhoenixXMaya)(Completed)

Post your PW fanfiction here. Please check the guidelines before posting.
Quizer
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 261
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:23 pm
Location: Germany
Contact:

Re: Decisive Evidence (Spoilers)(PhoenixXMaya)(Completed)

Post by Quizer »

Hey, this story is not half bad... only a quarter at most. :godot:

Nah, just kidding. Anyway, seeing as how it is called 'Decisive Evidence', and I myself have written a story called 'Inconclusive Evidence', I just had to check it out! xD :scientific:

The characters are, for the most part, very well written. You've spotted some of the more minor idiosyncrasies and character traits which other people might miss, and a couple of times, you've nailed their reactions spot on compared to how I think they should react to a given situation. I like your portrayal of Mia best, though Maya, Edgeworth and Franziska were pretty good, too.

You've also got some good humor going there. Phoenix asking Franny about doodling on the evidence is priceless, as is the bit with Maya's diary at the end. At first I just thought it ludicrous that Maya would keep a diary and address it as 'Dear Diary', but the 'Dear Diary, I think I may need to have you examined for fingerprints' line is pure genius and makes it work!

I also noticed you made use of the fact that Mia sometimes appears to Phoenix without anyone needing to channel her. People like to forget about that or ignore it, so that's pretty good.

Personally, I found Phoenix angsting over Maya's response and trying to deny his feelings a bit annoying as a story premise, and everyone trying to play matchmaker on Phoenix seemed just a tad contrived (I think Edgeworth might just try to do something if he sees Phoenix act the way he does in this story, but I believe it would be a pithy comment or two at most, rather than taking him aside and giving him a whole talk. Still, I really liked the way you had Phoenix and Edgeworth interact. It was a good way to show that they are friends in the end, without any needless homoerotic undertones. Well done!


Taiyama, Thanks for the feedback. I'm not a bad writer, but I think I lack something that the "Great" Writers have. But I'm not sure what it is (Well, besides proper grammar) Anyway, I'll keep at it. I'll have more time when I get done with school, so more time for my muse to poke me into writing.

That's the spirit. I've been writing fanfiction on and off for more than six years now, and I've seen tremendous improvements in my own writing skills over this period. I wish you success in your future endeavors!

If you are looking to improve yourself, I would suggest trying to put as little plot constraints on characters as possible. I'm firmly of the opinion that the plot of your story should never get in the way of how a character would naturally act. If a character, left to his/her own devices, would do something that goes contrary to what I want to have happening in my story, it should be the plot that needs to give way. If the characters seem like they don't want to play along and you really don't want to give up that plot you've got in your head, you just need to work harder and go to that bit of extra effort to make it work using only small, subtle nudges. The more natural and less forced the character's actions and dialogue feels, the more real the story will feel and the better your readers' immersion will be. This kind of believability is what makes or breaks a story in the end.

I'm not sure how much of this actually applies to you - maybe your images of the characters are different from mine and all of them encouraging Phoenix to confess doesn't seem contrived to you. In that case, that's just fine. It would be boring if everyone interpreted the characters the same way. :maya:


If you're interested, check out the link in my sig for a different version of a post-T&T 'Phoenix and Maya finally get together' story. 'Ultra Course' follows up on Pearl's words in the credits where she says she'll have them take an even more advanced training course than the Special Course for which they came to Hazakura Temple in the first place. 'Inconclusive Evidence' is a fun piece written from Pearl's perspective where she 'investigates' Fey Manor during the night to look for evidence of Phoenix and Maya's relationship but finds more than she bargained for. Feel free to check them out if this sounds interesting, and let me know what you think!


Quizer
Image
Ultra Course - A Phoenix/Maya fanfiction by Quizer
Quizer's fanfiction thread - Last update: Inconclusive Evidence Part 1/3 (Jan 07, 2008)
Zeon Twilight
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:01 pm
Custom Title: Never mess with a kid with an agenda

Re: Decisive Evidence (Spoilers)(PhoenixXMaya)(Completed)

Post by Zeon Twilight »

Wow, everytime I disappear for months at a time and come back, someone else has dug up this old story and written a review ^_^

I have to say, thanks very much for your words Quizer, I'm glad that overall you enjoyed the story. It was one that I had a lot of fun writing. You're probably right, I think I may have pushed it a little with some of the characters poking him, Probably Edgeworth the worst. It's a shaky one though, as I could see him swallowing his pride to try and poke Phoenix towards happiness, after all, Phoenix did help him clear up his daddy issues. :gregory:

Sorry it's taken so long to come back here, I'm bad about that even with sites I like, I just disappear for awhile and come back...sometime. Anyway, I'll certainly check out your stories and give them a review since you were kind enough to do so for me. Many thanks and I hope you get to see this reply and haven't disappeared from the site yourself :eh?:
Image
Sig links to my fanfic. MayaXPhoenix. Romance/humor. Final chapter is up.
Chloe
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3478
Joined: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:33 pm
Custom Title: :)
Location: UK
Contact:

Re: Decisive Evidence (Spoilers)(PhoenixXMaya)(Completed)

Post by Chloe »

I enjoyed this story a lot too. The characters and writing were quite well done. So much wonderful fluff too. <3
Katia Gavin
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:20 am
Custom Title: don't lok at his eye. ARGH i looked

Re: Decisive Evidence (Spoilers)(PhoenixXMaya)(Completed)

Post by Katia Gavin »

Brilliant i love the court battle in nicks head its sooooo sweet :pearl:
:phoenix: <3 :maya: forever
Miemoko
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 398
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:19 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Decisive Evidence (Spoilers)(PhoenixXMaya)(Completed)

Post by Miemoko »

Awwwwww, your fic is so cute and- awesome...!
Lol, i especially like the part when Phoenix was battling in court in his mind.
Image
Made by me :D
User avatar
shadowofedgeworth
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 566
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:03 am
Custom Title: Real men are gray-haired in their 20s.

Re: Decisive Evidence (Spoilers)(PhoenixXMaya)(Completed)

Post by shadowofedgeworth »

Good romance is hard to write believably

And that is why, no matter how much I love fics like this, I will probably never actually be able to write one... :larry:

So it's a good thing there are authors like you out there who are able to fill the gap. If you can believe it, I'd actually gone off Phoenix/Maya a bit because I felt like no one was writing any good ones lately, but fics like yours (and those of justis76 and Quizer) remind me why I loved the pairing in the first place.

Thanks for the wonderful read!
Image
Totally not my sig...
Zeon Twilight
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 677
Joined: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:01 pm
Custom Title: Never mess with a kid with an agenda

Re: Decisive Evidence (Spoilers)(PhoenixXMaya)(Completed)

Post by Zeon Twilight »

And thank you for the wonderful comment.

I really am thankful to all the people who've written me comments and reviews. It makes me want to write more, of course my life has been terribly busy
lately, so I haven't had a lot of time, but still, I'll try and make anew story if I can find some free time.
Image
Sig links to my fanfic. MayaXPhoenix. Romance/humor. Final chapter is up.
Itteh_Bitteh_Kitteh
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 76
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:56 am
Custom Title: ^_^

Re: Decisive Evidence (Spoilers)(PhoenixXMaya)(Completed)

Post by Itteh_Bitteh_Kitteh »

Aww, nice ending :kissy: really well written
I am a Phoenix/Maya shipper
I also support Fransizka/Edgeworth, Mia/Diego and Apollo/Vera.
Simply Conjecture
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:57 pm
Custom Title: "Prove it."
Location: Colorado
Contact:

Re: Decisive Evidence (Spoilers)(PhoenixXMaya)(Completed)

Post by Simply Conjecture »

I made an account just to comment on this story. It was adorable - I absolutely loved it, and now I want to do some fan art... Hmm.

Normally, I don't even like fan-fiction, but Phoenix/Maya is one of my all time favorite pairings, and today I stumbled upon this by accident. Thank you for writing it. It made me smile.
“The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is.”
Phoenix Minamimoto
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 266
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:56 pm
Custom Title: Captain Hair!
Location: California

Re: Decisive Evidence (Spoilers)(PhoenixXMaya)(Completed)

Post by Phoenix Minamimoto »

What a wonderful story! Phoenix/Maya is my favorite pairing, and your writing style is excellent! You did a great job at keeping everyone in character while adding in some humor here and there. I look forward to more from you...Well, if you're even still around, since this is a pretty old thread. But for a thread to be alive this long, it must be an outstanding fic! :edgy:
Image
Post Reply