New Signature Rules

Forum Rules and Guidelines. READ THIS FIRST BEFORE POSTING.
Post Reply
General Luigi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 4215
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm
Custom Title: In Justice We Trust
Location: Southern California
Contact:

New Signature Rules

Post by General Luigi »

In the November 29 staff meeting, it was decided that signatures may now be a maximum of 600 pixels wide and 220 pixels high. This new height limit was introduced for the sake of users who have 600 × 200 image signatures, but also want a line of text (such as a link to their Tumblr or something). While there technically isn't anything keeping you from using those extra 20 pixels height for a taller image, it's not why we introduced the change, so if that becomes the most common use of the new limit, we might go back to the old 600 × 200 limit. It should also be noted that we will eventually (the date hasn't been decided) be implementing a coding change that will lead to oversized signatures being automatically cropped. As such, if you don't want the guy in your 300-pixel-tall signature to suddenly start doing his best St. Aphrodisius impression, you would do well to replace your signature with one that fits the size limit before the coding is introduced.

As a clarification, having multiple images that are 600 × 220 each will not work; you'll just get one of them cropped once the new coding is in place. The size limit refers to the entirety of your signature put together, not each item in your signature individually.

The restrictions on file size have also been changed as of February 14. Signatures may now be up to 500kb in size.
Image
I'll always love you, Max.
henke37
Bug Sweeper
Bug Sweeper
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:25 pm
Custom Title: Programmer
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by henke37 »

To clarify, is the file size restriction per image or the sum?
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!
General Luigi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 4215
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm
Custom Title: In Justice We Trust
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by General Luigi »

Gah. That wasn't brought up in the meeting. I would assume the sum, if only because applying it to individual images would open the door for signatures to have a huge file size despite each individual component meeting the restrictions. It's the same principle as users not being allowed to have multiple 600 × 220 images in their signatures.
Image
I'll always love you, Max.
User avatar
wetsver
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Nov 30, 2014 1:05 pm
Custom Title: Meow
Location: Labyrinthia

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by wetsver »

My signature doesn't seem to be showing?? I just joined the forum and I've set one. :yogi: How long does it take?
Pierre
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 14363
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm
Custom Title: Gettin' Old!
Location: Scotland

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by Pierre »

wetsver wrote:My signature doesn't seem to be showing?? I just joined the forum and I've set one. :yogi: How long does it take?


I'm sorry I can't give you specifics but I know why it is.

It's an anti-bot measure. Many bots would make a new account and fill their signatures with all kind of obscene and dangerous links. However bots didn't normally stick around to post any more. Therefore by disabling signatures of new members, bots can't show their links well.
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image

You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
CatMuto
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 9918
Joined: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:23 pm

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by CatMuto »

Pierre wrote:
wetsver wrote:My signature doesn't seem to be showing?? I just joined the forum and I've set one. :yogi: How long does it take?


I'm sorry I can't give you specifics but I know why it is.

It's an anti-bot measure. Many bots would make a new account and fill their signatures with all kind of obscene and dangerous links. However bots didn't normally stick around to post any more. Therefore by disabling signatures of new members, bots can't show their links well.


Pretty much this. I believe after a set number of posts the signature is "unlocked" if you will.

C-A
Image
Image
Nurio
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Custom Title: A Kirby and AA fan
Location: The Netherlands

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by Nurio »

Question: Why does it matter if people use the new limits for 600x220 signatures instead of 600x200 signatures + line of text? As long as the file size is within 200 kb, it would take up the same space on the screen and use up just as much bandwidth, right? So what's the difference?
Image
henke37
Bug Sweeper
Bug Sweeper
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:25 pm
Custom Title: Programmer
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by henke37 »

Agreed there, I didn't notice any such talk in the meeting. Just why people wanted a larger size, nothing about not wanting it used in a certain way.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!
General Luigi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 4215
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm
Custom Title: In Justice We Trust
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by General Luigi »

My memory is that the larger size was only proposed because of concerns about how using code to enforce the 600 × 200 limit would inconvenience users who had a 600 × 200 image in their signature plus a line of text. Thus, an additional 20 pixels was added to the height limit out of concern for users who wanted to have text and keep a 600 × 200 image. If people are going to just use those extra 20 pixels for taller images, then the whole discussion was pointless.
Image
I'll always love you, Max.
henke37
Bug Sweeper
Bug Sweeper
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:25 pm
Custom Title: Programmer
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by henke37 »

I say that people can use the size for whatever they please. A paragraph of text. Several images. A line of text and an image. Any possible combination.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!
Nurio
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Custom Title: A Kirby and AA fan
Location: The Netherlands

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by Nurio »

General Luigi wrote:My memory is that the larger size was only proposed because of concerns about how using code to enforce the 600 × 200 limit would inconvenience users who had a 600 × 200 image in their signature plus a line of text. Thus, an additional 20 pixels was added to the height limit out of concern for users who wanted to have text and keep a 600 × 200 image. If people are going to just use those extra 20 pixels for taller images, then the whole discussion was pointless.

I can understand where you're coming from, but I have to agree with henke37 here. It seems weird to limit people in this way when there are already limits in place. It's a bit double, and perhaps even confusing.
The reason there are limits on signatures are two-fold, I imagine. One, so bandwidth doesn't get eaten up. Two, so people don't have their screens completely filled with signatures. As long as the two limits keep this in check, nothing else really matters, right?
Image
General Luigi
Admin
Admin
Posts: 4215
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:31 pm
Custom Title: In Justice We Trust
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by General Luigi »

Admittedly, I was against expanding the height limit. My openness to it was only because of the possible inconvenience of users having to get new images for their signatures in order to avoid having text cut off. Essentially, if that's not the purpose this policy change ends up serving, I'm going to feel as though I was tricked into backing down on the issue. I can't say for certain whether or not I'd advocate a return to the old limit if people start using 600 × 220 images. The possibility is there, though.
Image
I'll always love you, Max.
kwando1313
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 901
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:29 pm
Custom Title: Fate Testarossa
Location: Uminari City

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by kwando1313 »

kwando1313 wrote:Also... Can I get an explanation why 660px width digs was shot down, aside from "It was that way before" (which is an awful and completely non-useful reason)?

Because, to me, it seems like a very... Arbitrary limit on width which is rather narrow...
Image

Fate is made by クロス
henke37
Bug Sweeper
Bug Sweeper
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:25 pm
Custom Title: Programmer
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by henke37 »

I went ahead and actually applied the size limits to the theme. Anyone with scrollbars on their signature will need to fix their signature to obey the existing rules.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!
Mayu Igiyooki
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:01 am
Custom Title: Winter Flag Trademark
Location: Igiyooki Manor, P/A.
Contact:

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by Mayu Igiyooki »

Great, now the signatures look annoying. Heck, they look much shorter than it was before, and then it was pushed to the left if it crosses the horizontical border. I was flustered to even add something new to my signature to prevent it look embarrassing.
Image
This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.
Nurio
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Custom Title: A Kirby and AA fan
Location: The Netherlands

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by Nurio »

Patchouli Knowledge wrote:Great, now the signatures look annoying. Heck, they look much shorter than it was before, and then it was pushed to the left if it crosses the horizontical border. I was flustered to even add something new to my signature to prevent it look embarrassing.

You can always preview your signature to see if it adds the horizontal scrolling bar or not
Image
henke37
Bug Sweeper
Bug Sweeper
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:25 pm
Custom Title: Programmer
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by henke37 »

I duno about that, the styling seem to be somewhat different for the preview and actual forum posts.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!
Nurio
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Custom Title: A Kirby and AA fan
Location: The Netherlands

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by Nurio »

henke37 wrote:I duno about that, the styling seem to be somewhat different for the preview and actual forum posts.

Oh... That's not quite what you'd want from a preview! Is there a way to fix that?
Image
henke37
Bug Sweeper
Bug Sweeper
Posts: 832
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:25 pm
Custom Title: Programmer
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by henke37 »

Not to my knowledge, I think it's a phpbb bug.
Currently working on a redesign of cr.net itself! Come talk to me about it on Discord!
Gerkuman
Admin
Admin
Posts: 2504
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:02 am
Custom Title: What is my liiiife?!?
Location: UK

Re: New Signature Rules

Post by Gerkuman »

It's awkward but that's just the way it is right now. It takes some trial and effort.
Post Reply