Page 1 of 2

Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - WINNER!

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 5:25 pm
by Darth Wiader
Here's the link to the last competition.
Image
The voting period is finally closed and the winner of tie breaker with 3 votes against 1 is...
Virt's Yuki Onna:
Image
Congratulations to all the entrants and to Virt on his victory!
1st phase's results:

On the last place with 0 votes there is...
Mister Gruel's The Atwoods Monster

Image

On the 3rd place with 1 vote there is...

Ropfa's Barack Obama:
Image

On the 2nd place with 2 votes... we have a tie!

SiberianHunter's Baba Yaga:
Image

and...

ann-nna's Astra:
Image

And...on the 1st place with 7 votes we have..

...another tie!

4. Vitor-Leal's Meow:
Image

5. Virt's Yuki Onna:
Image
------------------------------------
Spoiler: ORIGINAL POST
TOP SECRET/MAJIC
EYES ONLY

Signature: ██████ 05/04/16
Subject: Operation "Monthly Spriting Competition"

Greetings, my friends. I represent a certain... organization. You see, the world is not what you have been led to think. Your tinfoil-wearing crazy neighbour might be onto something. Ordinary citizens who honestly earn their living day-by-day and pay their taxes are surrounded by various… anomalies and abnormalities. Some of them hide in the shadows, while other try to blend in with human society. Our job is to identify and secure them. But don't worry, most of them are rather harmless. Well, usually - unless ██████████ ████ ████████ ███ █████████████. ████████ ██████ ███ ████████████ ██████. As you see, there's nothing to be afraid of. No, really.

Take a look at this poor fellow. I called him Bob. Say 'hello', Bob.
Image
Hello, Bob.

Oh, isn't he adorable?
We seek for young open minds who want to help us in our mission.
Look around your surroundings and report your findings.

For the sake of our cover-up called Monthly Spriting Competition, your task is to create a sprite inspired by urban myths, conspiracy theories, or unresolved mysteries, be it a humanoid or other creature. It can be a re-imagining of already existing AA character (I bet Will Powers is a werewolf!) or a brand new original character. You can also take a character/creature from different media and redraw it in AA-style. I want to see extra-terrestrial life forms, sasquatches, chupacabras, men in black and, of course, Elvis. And don’t forget about █████████ who are secretly controlling the government.

Please remember to write what your character is based on.

Rules:
  • Only special sprites made for this comp may be entered.
  • You can submit a whole sheet, animations, or just one sprite.
  • You can submit ONE entry. However, you may sprite two or more characters in one entry if necessary (think about Machi and Lamiroir, for example).
  • As long as the submission period lasts, you have the right to update and improve your sprite.
  • The entry submission period will last from May 4th to June 3rd at 8:00 PM CEST (I won't be picky about the timezone part). The deadline can be extended if necessary. Voting period will last for two weeks after submission close. The judging method will be a poll.
  • EXTRA (optional): You can name your entry and write a short backstory for your character.
  • EXTRA: You can create your own urban legend. If those guys succeded with Slender Man, why not you?
The winner will get the right to host the next monthly competition along with a year-round internship in our agency. The catch is, we are so secret that we don’t even reveal our name or location, so you’ll have to find us by yourself. All the other participants will have to have their memory wiped and ███████ ███ █████ for security reasons; sorry for inconvenience.

Have a good fun and remember - THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!
Spoiler: ORIGINAL ENTRIES, with detailed descriptions:
1. ann-nna
Image
Her name's Astra. A possible non-human? Further investigation is required...

2. Mister Gruel
Image
The Atwoods Monster.
Apparently based on the Flatwoods monster.

3.Ropfa
Image

Barack Obama, president of the United States of America.
At least that's what they WANT you to think.

The eyes, did you see that? It was totally there for a split second. Don't try telling me it was just lens flare. He isn't human, I'm telling you. None of our world leaders are.

4. Vitor-Leal
Image
Meow. Contrary to appearance, he's not a genetically advanced cat, but an alien from Planet Betelgeuse.

5. Virt
Image
Yuki Onna, a yōkai from Japanese folklore. She's kind of like a snow witch who lures people in and then freezes them to death.

6. SiberianHunter
Image
This is a witch from Russian folklore. Her name is Baba Yaga, and she likes to eat children that get lost in the woods.
------------------------------------
Spoiler: ORIGINAL RULES
  • Each month a new topic will be picked (by the previous month's winner).
  • To enter, just post your entry here.
  • Stick to the theme! (This one's obvious), but make sure you enter something relevant to the theme picked.
  • ONE entry per person. You can submit one character/sprite design and it can be as little as a single frame, or as large as a full set! Up to you
  • NO USING OTHER FAN SPRITES. Even with permission, we want to see your own creative works. Editing official sprites is OK though.
  • Be creative! Simple recolours are not allowed. At least 2 character sprites edited together with a unique colour palette counts as an original sprite. Also drawing custom outfits/costumes from scratch for existing sprites is also acceptable.

    Example:
    Acceptable:
    Image Image
    (Custom drawn costume, or a splice of 2 or more official characters, with a unique palette)

    Unacceptable:
    Image Image
    (Basic recolour of official sprite, or minimal editing of official sprites)
  • Please create an entirely new sprite for the competition. If you made a character you think really suits the theme, then you can still edit that sprite into a new one for the competition.
  • Both AA and AAI styled sprites are acceptable, except if the task specifies one or the other.
  • You get 2 weeks to vote after submissions close. This way people have time to look at the entries and vote.
  • Voting will be done after submissions have closed and, as CR has no polling system, all you need to do is post a comment saying your favourite.
  • You can vote for 2 of your favourite choices.
  • You are NOT allowed to vote for yourself.
  • You can use sprites/characters/poses from any RELEASED Ace Attorney game. This includes GK2, DD and PLvsAA. NOT DGS just yet! (Wait until CR officially allows DGS spoilers before using those characters) Also, try to don't use characters or spoiler poses from AA6!
  • You can edit your sprite and resubmit it as many times before the cut off date (preferably by editing your original entry post). These can only be minor edits to your existing entry though like fixing some messiness or anatomy, no brand new sprites that you've made. Have confidence in the first entry you make!
Spoiler: RULES FOR HOSTS
  • Make sure you pick a topic that hasn't been done before (Unless it's been over a year since it's been done)
  • Make sure you COPY the rules into your posts to notify everyone!
  • Name your topic as "Monthly Spriting Competition! - Insert genre/topic here"
  • You have creative freedom with selecting topics, provided the entries are in the AA style of sprites. Ideas like a 2 person team collab, or situations like "Twins" where 2 characters are in the 1 sprite are also allowed as potential topics.
  • For clarity's sake, make a quick sprite as an example of what you're expecting from contestants, and post it in the OP)
  • YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF COLLECTING VOTES! Unfortunately, CR doesn't have a polling system, and so votes will have to be through individual comments (to prevent people voting multiple times, we will stick to posting alone)
  • Once the voting is closed, it is up to you announce the results (1st, 2nd and 3rd place), and the winner.
  • You can take as long as you want to start up the next competition thread. If you don't want to be the one running it, you can let 2nd place be in charge.
  • You CANNOT enter if you are hosting, but you can vote.
  • If 2-4 entries receive equal votes, announce those who tied, and hold a tie breaker voting between those. If 5+ to/or every entry ties, the host can pick the winner.
  • If a tie breaker ends with another tie, all those tied win, and they decide the next host amongst themselves.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFED]

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 6:58 pm
by Ceres
Cool beans, but you misspelled classified.
Topic title wrote:Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFED]
You can submit ONE entry. However, you may sprite two or more characters in one entry if necessary (think about Machi and Lamiroir, for example).
Nice addendum <3

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:33 pm
by Darth Wiader
Cool beans, but you misspelled classified.
It's fixed now.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFED]

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 7:34 pm
by Shadowsleuth
Oh shit, an SCP-Themed Comp? I may have to whip something up for this.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 9:53 pm
by SuperAj3
Gravity Falls: Ace Town

Get ready for the influx of Edgeworth Vampires! :edgeworth:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Wed May 04, 2016 11:32 pm
by Tilemahosbra
Oh hey, looks like SCP decided to be part of this as well.

Wonderfun. XD

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 12:49 pm
by ann-nna
I hope she qualifies as a humanoid even though she looks almost completely human.
Image
Her name's Astra.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 3:10 pm
by Darth Wiader
That's what they want us to think! OP updated.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 4:25 pm
by Mister Gruel
Spoiler: i cant afford to get better editing software because i spend my money on food for my ten children
Image
Luke Atwoods Monster

Image
based on this

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Sat May 07, 2016 11:55 pm
by SuperAj3
ann-nna wrote:I hope she qualifies as a humanoid even though she looks almost completely human.
Image
Her name's Astra.
She's adorable! I love the colour choice too! :basil:
Mister Gruel wrote:
Spoiler: i cant afford to get better editing software because i spend my money on food for my ten children
Image
Luke Atwoods Monster

Image
based on this
This.... this...... this.......
I'm gonna vote for this.... The resemblence! :hotti: :moe-laugh: :moe-laugh: :moe-laugh:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 2:32 am
by Yash K. Productions
ann-nna wrote:I hope she qualifies as a humanoid even though she looks almost completely human.
Image
Her name's Astra.
Astra? As in the skill from Fire Emblem?

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 5:12 am
by Tilemahosbra
Mister Gruel wrote:
Spoiler: i cant afford to get better editing software because i spend my money on food for my ten children
Image
Luke Atwoods Monster

Image
based on this
That's truly the most horrifying thing I have ever seen.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Sun May 08, 2016 6:05 pm
by ann-nna
SuperAj3,
Thanks!

Yash K. Productions,
Nope. Astra as in "star" 'cause I've never played Fire Emblem. XD

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Mon May 09, 2016 11:02 pm
by Yash K. Productions
ann-nna wrote:Nope. Astra as in "star" 'cause I've never played Fire Emblem. XD
That's ok, it was just a joke. That's why I put a strike through it.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:06 pm
by Ropfa
Barack Obama, president of the United States of America

Image
Spoiler:
At least that's what they WANT you to think.

The eyes, did you see that? It was totally there for a split second. Don't try telling me it was just lens flare. He isn't human, I'm telling you. None of our world leaders are.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Wed May 11, 2016 12:41 pm
by SuperAj3
Quick! Make like Trump and ask for his birth certificate! LMAO (Sorry if that's insensitive, it just seemed relevant to the little blurb)

Nice sprite though! It does look like him!

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Sat May 14, 2016 4:48 pm
by Darth Wiader
Ropfa wrote:Barack Obama, president of the United States of America

Image
Spoiler:
At least that's what they WANT you to think.

The eyes, did you see that? It was totally there for a split second. Don't try telling me it was just lens flare. He isn't human, I'm telling you. None of our world leaders are.
<joke>Let's just hope Mr. Obama won't decide to censor the Internet because of this.</joke>

im so hilarious

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:43 am
by Vitor-Leal
I can't decide between them both, so here's two entries!

Here's the self-proclaimed alien called Mikitaka from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:

Image

And here's the betelgeusian otaku called Meow from Space Dandy:

Image

(Oh it's been a long time ever since i've last posted here... :hobohodo: )

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:32 am
by SuperAj3
Amazing sprites! Out of nowhere! Nice to meet you and welcome back!

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 4:12 am
by Shadowsleuth
Oh snap! Finally, an entry that's visibly an alien! And yes, the JoJo! Great stuff here.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 5:37 am
by Virt
My entry: a Japanese myth called Yuki Onna. She's kind of like a snow witch who lures people in and then freezes them to death. Spooky. :beef:
Image

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 6:51 am
by SuperAj3
The detail is just so incredible!!! :beef: :beef:
I'm blown away! (pun intended :hotti: )

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:38 am
by Shadowsleuth
wow Virt

Your Yuki-Onna is really really

cool

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:39 am
by Darth Wiader
Vitor-Leal wrote:I can't decide between them both, so here's two entries!

Here's the self-proclaimed alien called Mikitaka from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure:

Image

And here's the betelgeusian otaku called Meow from Space Dandy:

Image

(Oh it's been a long time ever since i've last posted here... :hobohodo: )
According to original rules of the1st competition (invented by SuperAj3, I think) there can be only one entry per person. But both of your sprites are wonderful. I don't know what to do! Houston, we have a problem!

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:44 am
by SuperAj3
Darth Wiader wrote: According to original rules of the1st competition (invented by SuperAj3, I think) there can be only one entry per person. But both of your sprites are wonderful. I don't know what to do! Houston, we have a problem!
Yeah. The reason I made that a rule was so that each person has an equal shot at winning. (Or else you could have someone enter 5 times and that'd be unfair).

But I guess if both are under the one entry (So you vote for both together as one choice and not one or the other) and the OP allows it then I think it's ok.
So maybe put both into the one image? Like a pair?

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:50 am
by Shadowsleuth
SuperAj3 wrote:
Darth Wiader wrote: According to original rules of the1st competition (invented by SuperAj3, I think) there can be only one entry per person. But both of your sprites are wonderful. I don't know what to do! Houston, we have a problem!
Yeah. The reason I made that a rule was so that each person has an equal shot at winning. (Or else you could have someone enter 5 times and that'd be unfair).

But I guess if both are under the one entry (So you vote for both together as one choice and not one or the other) and the OP allows it then I think it's ok.
So maybe put both into the one image? Like a pair?
I... Don't see how it makes much sense to put them in a pair. These characters are unrelated. It's a shame but I think it's best to just have the user themselves pick one. Personally, I feel the second one fits the themes of the comp better. Though the JoJo one is great, without context nobody's gonna instantly read him as "kid who thinks he's an alien".

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 8:21 am
by SuperAj3
I just feel bad he made 2 entries and can't use both. But yeah if they're unrelated to eachother it's hard to join them together (I was thinking they might've been related somehow)

OK. Vitor, just pick one of your sprites to enter.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 12:40 pm
by Vitor-Leal
SuperAj3 wrote:I just feel bad he made 2 entries and can't use both. But yeah if they're unrelated to eachother it's hard to join them together (I was thinking they might've been related somehow)

OK. Vitor, just pick one of your sprites to enter.
Oh, okay. I'll pick Meow, then. Sorry about that!

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 1:10 pm
by Darth Wiader
Vitor-Leal wrote:Oh, okay. I'll pick Meow, then. Sorry about that!
OP updated! Though the JoJo one was also great (personally, I love both series).
I added Yuki-Onna too. She's marvelous.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:26 pm
by TheDoctor
Technically speaking, since people are only allowed to vote for up to two sprites (depending on the amount of entries), a contestant could very well end up shooting themselves in the foot if they entered two or more sprites. If you have two sprites of equal quality, the votes are going to spread out a bit.

Example in a contest with multiple entries (voters allowed one vote):

A: 3 votes
B-1: 2 votes
B-2: 2 votes
C: 0 votes
D: 1 vote

B-1 and B-2 are equal quality, and while user B got a total of 4 votes, his entries only got 2 votes apiece, which isn't enough to beat A's 3 votes.

Compare to a contest with one entry per user (voters allowed one vote):

A: 3 votes
B: 4 votes
C: 0 votes
D: 1 vote

In this scenario, the same users voted for B, but since he only had one sprite, the votes piled up instead of getting spread out.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 9:42 pm
by SuperAj3
So, then the whole point stands that it creates an imbalance if you enter more than once. Just instead of disadvantaging the others, it can put the one who entered multiple times in a bad spot too. So yeah, no multiple entries!

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 17, 2016 11:11 pm
by Mister Gruel
Shadowsleuth wrote:Oh snap! Finally, an entry that's visibly an alien! And yes, the JoJo! Great stuff here.
yeah thanks i guess my kids will go hungry this month

...who am i kidding im voting for the Space Dandy entry

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:05 pm
by SiberianHunter
Image
This is a witch from Russian folklore. Her name is Baba Yaga, and she likes to eat children that get lost in the woods.

P.S This is the worst sprite I have ever done.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:04 pm
by Darth Wiader
SiberianHunter wrote:Image
This is a witch from Russian folklore. Her name is Baba Yaga, and she likes to eat children that get lost in the woods.
Hey, we know her in Poland pretty well too!

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 2:07 am
by SuperAj3
SiberianHunter wrote:Image
This is a witch from Russian folklore. Her name is Baba Yaga, and she likes to eat children that get lost in the woods.

P.S This is the worst sprite I have ever done.
I've heard of the Baba Yaga before!
There used to be a book series called "Tashi" I read as a kid, and I remember that's where I'd heard of her before.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:16 am
by FenrirDarkWolf
Of course I'd get art block when I find a contest that I really like.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 1:51 pm
by SuperAj3
Sorry Darth, I'm gonna have to skip this comp... I have no photoshop anymore (my computer died, I got another but I need to get used to a new art program.)

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June [CLASSIFIED]

Posted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:51 pm
by Darth Wiader
Oh, crap :( I'm very sad to hear that.
Anyway....

The deadline is drawing near, so if anyone needs it to be extended, let them speak now or forever hold their peace ;).

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:29 pm
by Darth Wiader
D-d-d-d-double post!

I have opened the voting for this competition. Because last time some users reported issues with using forums poll system, I decided not to bother the mods, but to handle the voting in a traditional way. Best luck to everyone!

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! May-June - VOTING PHASE

Posted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 1:32 pm
by SuperAj3
My votes go to 1 and 4!
Because they're adorable!

I liked all the entries! People had a lot of fun with them!