When the Wall Crumbles (Fran/Miles; GS 1-3) [COMPLETE]
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:39 pm
Hey ya'll! This is my first fanfic for this site, so I hope you enjoy it!
I had read other people's fanfics for Fran/Miles pairing (If I remember their usernames, I'll name them here) and those gave me an idea. This might take maybe four chapters, depending on how much I expand.
I know Miles/Fran isn't a very popular pairing, so if you really don't like this pairing, I don't really want bashing...
Also, there will be throughout the story very slight spoilers for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Justice for All and Trials & Tribulations
I don't know exact specifics, but there will definitely be extremely little spoilers for (maybe) 1-4, and defenitely 2-4, and 3-5 (unfortunately, they are pretty much the endings, except 2-4 is an event). Basically, if you haven't done all the games (except AJ), I'd be cautious while reading. They're very little, though.
My writing isn't the greatest, so forgive me! It might be sorta choppy.
Title: When the Wall Crumbles
Author: Caelestis (me!)
Rating: PG (if swearing, extremely mild and rare)
Genre: Romantic/Slightly Drama
Status: Completed; all six chapters!
Pairing: Franziska/Miles (Iris/Phoenix is slightly implied)
Summary: Franziska has had feelings for Miles, but because she doesn't know how to express them, she always puts up a wall to protect her pride and herself. But what would happen to that wall if she knew that Miles felt the same way? ((I know, it sounds cheesy!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Franziska sat by herself in a booth at Tres Bien. It was finally the end of what seemed like a case of a century. The food wasn't only terrible, but now that Phoenix and his "entourage" were here (which included dispicable, wimpy Larry), the party started to heat up. The prosecution had truly "lost"; after all, what's a worse loss than the prosecutor himself being convicted of the murder? But that's not what bothered Franziska. She remembered how foolish she felt when Miles asked –no, begged– her to prosecute for the first day. She thought she would be up against Phoenix Wright, but Miles had to challenge her heart when he arrived as the defense. Franziska remembered hesitating at the court, but her wall that protected her pride and emotions came rather easily and she could put up a cold front to him; she was able to treat him like any other sniveling attorney.
Fran remembered when she finally was able to admit to herself her "crush" on Miles. It was sometime in her teens. At first, she thought she liked him because of his confidence in court, but it wasn't just that. Miles was the only one who helped her when nobody else would. Even though she had treated him like dirt all these years, he still had enough hope to smile...
She didn't want to think of the past. Wasn't she supposed to be Franziska von Karma; daughter of the best prosecutor; a genius; and a cold, emotionless person?
"Franziska?" Fran turned her head to see who was breaking her thoughts. Miles Edgeworth. His concerned face surprised her. "You're spacing out." Franziska's fingers stiffened and she looked out the window.
"I just don't like big parties," Fran replied. Her wall came up to protect her before Miles could see the core. Miles rolled his eyes and slid into the booth opposite her.
"I know the food's terrible, but that's no reason to not enjoy yourself," Miles said, his mouth crinkling to a smile. Franziska made the mistake of locking eyes. She felt her wall slowly being taken apart. She remembered those eyes and that smile... they'd never changed since the day she met him.
Oh, "gods" of love, why do you torture me so!? Franziska thought.
"...Like I said, not a big party fan," Fran answered, trying to find a response. Miles shrugged his shoulders when he didn't have a reply. Quite suddenly, however, he leaned in closer to her.
"Did I ever thank you for prosecuting that one day?" he whispered. Franziska felt her stomach tie in knots. Fran wished she could find something nicer to say, but she was never truly taught the ways of sincerity. She even always hesitated before using her whip on him; everytime she did, a small part of her always regretted doing it.
"Well, it wasn't a problem, really. Just... warn me next time that you'll be the one defending," Fran said, trying to make her voice lighter. She realized her mistake; she made it sound like Miles tripped her up, not just any other defense.
Either Miles didn't notice, or didn't care. He leaned back into his seat as Fran mentally sighed in relief.
"I was hesitant to have you be the prosecution, actually," Miles admitted. He glanced towards the party action. Someone dared Larry to drink ten cups of the Tres Bien special coffee without throwing up, and he was actually trying. It was quite amusing, but the two quickly got back to their discussion.
Fran knitted her eyebrows.
"Why?" she asked. Miles closed his eyes for a second then answered.
"I was afraid that you despised me so much, you'd reveal my, erm, "true identity", as it were," Miles explained.
Ack! I don't despise you! I lo— Franziska stopped her thought train at that moment before she'd verbally say something she'd gravely regret.
"Maybe because of your little "truth speech" last year, I decided I wanted to know the truth, too," Franziska responded.
Hah! That's only the half of it! You know the true reason you didn't say anything!
Shut up!
"You mean, you finally understand what I was talking about?" Miles asked, his smile growing every so slightly bigger. Fran felt her pride kick in.
"Well... I mean, I at least saw that you wanted to know the "truth". I decided to play along, I suppose," Fran reworded, feeling unsure of herself. She couldn't help but notice Miles's eyes fall a little, in slight disappointment.
Look what you did! You disappointed him!
I don't care
That's the problem. You DO care!
Fran hated arguing with herself, but lately she'd been doing it a lot.
She glanced at her watch and was both relieved and despaired that she'd have to leave to be packed and on time for her plane to Germany. Part of her wanted to bolt out of the restraunt as fast as she could, but another part of her wanted to stay with Miles.
"Well, Miles Edgeworth. I must leave soon; any last words before I depart?" Fran asked with a little humor, standing up. Miles's face lit up with some humor as well.
Uh-oh...
"Yes. Do me a favor and say "good job" to Wright," Miles asked. Franziska's muscles tensed and she gave the coldest scowl she could muster. "And without whipping him, please," he added. Franziska turned her back on him with a huff and decided to meet this "last request".
"Phoenix Wright!" she called out through the bustle of the party. Apparently, Larry had won the dare, but was now moving on to eating seven cups of Tres Bien's lobster bisque... if you could even call it that. Phoenix, however, heard Fran's calling among the rumble of the party. He walked up to her, his face full of confusion.
"Y-yes, Franziska?" he asked. Fran took a deep breath. Was she seriously doing this?
"I'm leaving and I just wanted to say "good job". You're a good attorney, Phoenix Wright," Fran blurted. More confusion lit up Phoenix's face. Fran ignored the stifling chuckles from Miles and resisted the urge to use her whip. She felt her wall being reinforced. "B-but someday, I will find a way to defeat you in court," she added, without its usual 'umph'.
"Thanks," Phoenix replied when he found his voice.
"W-what?" Franziska automatically replied, rather lamely. She expected him to laugh, but he was absolutely serious. It even stopped Miles from chuckling.
"I said 'thanks', you know, for the compliment. Well, I guess this is good-bye, Franziska. Good luck in Germany," Phoenix reitereated. Fran found herself at a loss for words. Once again, her wall was falling faster than she could rebuild.
"Not that she'll need it," Miles responded from behind. Franziska thought she felt her heart stop as he patted her back. Fran forced herself to give cordial, yet cold, good-byes. But before she could leave, everyone else discovered she was departing.
"Bye, Franziska!"
"Bye-bye, Ms. von Karma. Be good!"
"Hey, are you ever going to pose for my—" (Larry got a face full of whip) "Is that a yes?" (more whipping)
"Good luck in Germany, Ms. von Karma!"
"Until we meet again," Miles said. Franziska bit her lip and left the restraunt. Those words made her stomach drop as far as the victim did and she hated the feeling. Her wall had almost revealed her core and she needed to escape before Miles noticed.
"So, what's up between you and Franziska, hmm?" Phoenix said jokingly, sliding into Fran's old spot. However, he got a different reaction than he expected; Miles's face was red. "Uh, Edgeworth? I was kidding," Phoenix added.
"Oh. Right," Miles replied, trying to cool his flushing. Nick peered at him closely.
"Are you seriously—"
"Wright," Miles looked up, his face slightly angry. "Don't bring it up." Nick waved his hands as if to defend himself.
"Sorry. Guess I hit a nerve..."
"Besides, I should be asking the same about you and Iris. Last I checked, she still cared about you. And I have evidence that you still do as well..." Miles responded, humor returning. Phoenix crossed his arms as his face started blushing.
"Eh heh heh, you're funny, Edgeworth," Phoenix answered. Miles leaned back comfortably in his seat.
"Just stating what I see... just stating what I see..." Miles murmured. Nick decided to go on the attack.
"So, seriously, what's up with you and Franziska?" Phoenix asked. Miles's face became serious again.
"Look, I care about her. Is that a crime?" Miles replied defensively.
"No, but how much do you care? Enough to buy a ring?" Phoenix asked slyly. He got the reaction he hoped for; Miles put his face down on the table and his face was redder than than Tres Bien's not-usually-fresh tomatoes.
"Wright..."
"I mean, she just walked out the door! Why didn't you ask her then?" Nick continued.
"...not ready," Miles mumbled. Phoenix raised an eyebrow.
"Huh?" Miles heaved a sigh before answering.
"I've known Franziska since I was about eleven. She always comes out seeming like she has a "hard shell", but I've seen her at her weakest. Still, she always seems to stive to be stronger, even when her priorities have changed. I know that if I teach her what I had to learn about prosecuting, she could become a strong woman that I would admire. Then I'd probably "buy a ring" as you call it," Miles spewed. Phoenix knew that Miles wouldn't unleash this flurry of emotions without fully trusting him. Nick actually felt "honored" of being his confidant.
"But what if she isn't like you thought she is after she learns that lesson? It's not that easy to change a person," Phoenix questioned. Miles thought for a moment.
"I'm not 'changing' herself completely; I'm hoping to have her change her "priorities". Her father taught her and me that the only thing worth fighting for in a court of law is a "guilty" verdict. But I want her to understand that what's truly important is finding the truth... no matter what the verdict is," Miles explained.
"How are you hoping to accomplish this? Like I said, she's leaving for Germany as we speak!" Nick asked, concerned that for once in Miles's life, he wasn't thinking things through.
"After I finish up here, I'm leaving for Germany in a couple of months," Miles responded. Nick nodded.
"Fine, but isn't this plan of yours a type of "manipulation"?" Nick asked, knitting his eyebrows together. Miles's eyes grew wide for a second but then he replied.
"If it was manipulation, then my goal would be strictly selfish. To be honest, even if she hates me afterward, I want her to understand the truth so that she can live with herself," Miles explained. Phoenix's eyes widened in confusion.
"So if she does hate you after all this is done...?"
"Then I will still have completed my objective. Like I said, I care about Franziska. If that means leaving her life to give her peace, then so be it," Miles sighed and looked out the window, his eyes growing sad. "But I'm not going to miss my chance to be a part of her life."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There! Chapter One completed! I'll hopefully post more chapters if I get response (I'd rather not double post...)
Sorry for the "arguing with myself" thing with Franziska; but you'll be seeing it a bit. More of her conflicting emotions will be developed and explained in the next, if not the third, chapter.
Thanks for reading!
I had read other people's fanfics for Fran/Miles pairing (If I remember their usernames, I'll name them here) and those gave me an idea. This might take maybe four chapters, depending on how much I expand.
I know Miles/Fran isn't a very popular pairing, so if you really don't like this pairing, I don't really want bashing...
Also, there will be throughout the story very slight spoilers for Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney, Justice for All and Trials & Tribulations
I don't know exact specifics, but there will definitely be extremely little spoilers for (maybe) 1-4, and defenitely 2-4, and 3-5 (unfortunately, they are pretty much the endings, except 2-4 is an event). Basically, if you haven't done all the games (except AJ), I'd be cautious while reading. They're very little, though.
My writing isn't the greatest, so forgive me! It might be sorta choppy.
Title: When the Wall Crumbles
Author: Caelestis (me!)
Rating: PG (if swearing, extremely mild and rare)
Genre: Romantic/Slightly Drama
Status: Completed; all six chapters!
Pairing: Franziska/Miles (Iris/Phoenix is slightly implied)
Summary: Franziska has had feelings for Miles, but because she doesn't know how to express them, she always puts up a wall to protect her pride and herself. But what would happen to that wall if she knew that Miles felt the same way? ((I know, it sounds cheesy!)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chapter One: Running Away
Franziska sat by herself in a booth at Tres Bien. It was finally the end of what seemed like a case of a century. The food wasn't only terrible, but now that Phoenix and his "entourage" were here (which included dispicable, wimpy Larry), the party started to heat up. The prosecution had truly "lost"; after all, what's a worse loss than the prosecutor himself being convicted of the murder? But that's not what bothered Franziska. She remembered how foolish she felt when Miles asked –no, begged– her to prosecute for the first day. She thought she would be up against Phoenix Wright, but Miles had to challenge her heart when he arrived as the defense. Franziska remembered hesitating at the court, but her wall that protected her pride and emotions came rather easily and she could put up a cold front to him; she was able to treat him like any other sniveling attorney.
Fran remembered when she finally was able to admit to herself her "crush" on Miles. It was sometime in her teens. At first, she thought she liked him because of his confidence in court, but it wasn't just that. Miles was the only one who helped her when nobody else would. Even though she had treated him like dirt all these years, he still had enough hope to smile...
She didn't want to think of the past. Wasn't she supposed to be Franziska von Karma; daughter of the best prosecutor; a genius; and a cold, emotionless person?
"Franziska?" Fran turned her head to see who was breaking her thoughts. Miles Edgeworth. His concerned face surprised her. "You're spacing out." Franziska's fingers stiffened and she looked out the window.
"I just don't like big parties," Fran replied. Her wall came up to protect her before Miles could see the core. Miles rolled his eyes and slid into the booth opposite her.
"I know the food's terrible, but that's no reason to not enjoy yourself," Miles said, his mouth crinkling to a smile. Franziska made the mistake of locking eyes. She felt her wall slowly being taken apart. She remembered those eyes and that smile... they'd never changed since the day she met him.
Oh, "gods" of love, why do you torture me so!? Franziska thought.
"...Like I said, not a big party fan," Fran answered, trying to find a response. Miles shrugged his shoulders when he didn't have a reply. Quite suddenly, however, he leaned in closer to her.
"Did I ever thank you for prosecuting that one day?" he whispered. Franziska felt her stomach tie in knots. Fran wished she could find something nicer to say, but she was never truly taught the ways of sincerity. She even always hesitated before using her whip on him; everytime she did, a small part of her always regretted doing it.
"Well, it wasn't a problem, really. Just... warn me next time that you'll be the one defending," Fran said, trying to make her voice lighter. She realized her mistake; she made it sound like Miles tripped her up, not just any other defense.
Either Miles didn't notice, or didn't care. He leaned back into his seat as Fran mentally sighed in relief.
"I was hesitant to have you be the prosecution, actually," Miles admitted. He glanced towards the party action. Someone dared Larry to drink ten cups of the Tres Bien special coffee without throwing up, and he was actually trying. It was quite amusing, but the two quickly got back to their discussion.
Fran knitted her eyebrows.
"Why?" she asked. Miles closed his eyes for a second then answered.
"I was afraid that you despised me so much, you'd reveal my, erm, "true identity", as it were," Miles explained.
Ack! I don't despise you! I lo— Franziska stopped her thought train at that moment before she'd verbally say something she'd gravely regret.
"Maybe because of your little "truth speech" last year, I decided I wanted to know the truth, too," Franziska responded.
Hah! That's only the half of it! You know the true reason you didn't say anything!
Shut up!
"You mean, you finally understand what I was talking about?" Miles asked, his smile growing every so slightly bigger. Fran felt her pride kick in.
"Well... I mean, I at least saw that you wanted to know the "truth". I decided to play along, I suppose," Fran reworded, feeling unsure of herself. She couldn't help but notice Miles's eyes fall a little, in slight disappointment.
Look what you did! You disappointed him!
I don't care
That's the problem. You DO care!
Fran hated arguing with herself, but lately she'd been doing it a lot.
She glanced at her watch and was both relieved and despaired that she'd have to leave to be packed and on time for her plane to Germany. Part of her wanted to bolt out of the restraunt as fast as she could, but another part of her wanted to stay with Miles.
"Well, Miles Edgeworth. I must leave soon; any last words before I depart?" Fran asked with a little humor, standing up. Miles's face lit up with some humor as well.
Uh-oh...
"Yes. Do me a favor and say "good job" to Wright," Miles asked. Franziska's muscles tensed and she gave the coldest scowl she could muster. "And without whipping him, please," he added. Franziska turned her back on him with a huff and decided to meet this "last request".
"Phoenix Wright!" she called out through the bustle of the party. Apparently, Larry had won the dare, but was now moving on to eating seven cups of Tres Bien's lobster bisque... if you could even call it that. Phoenix, however, heard Fran's calling among the rumble of the party. He walked up to her, his face full of confusion.
"Y-yes, Franziska?" he asked. Fran took a deep breath. Was she seriously doing this?
"I'm leaving and I just wanted to say "good job". You're a good attorney, Phoenix Wright," Fran blurted. More confusion lit up Phoenix's face. Fran ignored the stifling chuckles from Miles and resisted the urge to use her whip. She felt her wall being reinforced. "B-but someday, I will find a way to defeat you in court," she added, without its usual 'umph'.
"Thanks," Phoenix replied when he found his voice.
"W-what?" Franziska automatically replied, rather lamely. She expected him to laugh, but he was absolutely serious. It even stopped Miles from chuckling.
"I said 'thanks', you know, for the compliment. Well, I guess this is good-bye, Franziska. Good luck in Germany," Phoenix reitereated. Fran found herself at a loss for words. Once again, her wall was falling faster than she could rebuild.
"Not that she'll need it," Miles responded from behind. Franziska thought she felt her heart stop as he patted her back. Fran forced herself to give cordial, yet cold, good-byes. But before she could leave, everyone else discovered she was departing.
"Bye, Franziska!"
"Bye-bye, Ms. von Karma. Be good!"
"Hey, are you ever going to pose for my—" (Larry got a face full of whip) "Is that a yes?" (more whipping)
"Good luck in Germany, Ms. von Karma!"
"Until we meet again," Miles said. Franziska bit her lip and left the restraunt. Those words made her stomach drop as far as the victim did and she hated the feeling. Her wall had almost revealed her core and she needed to escape before Miles noticed.
"So, what's up between you and Franziska, hmm?" Phoenix said jokingly, sliding into Fran's old spot. However, he got a different reaction than he expected; Miles's face was red. "Uh, Edgeworth? I was kidding," Phoenix added.
"Oh. Right," Miles replied, trying to cool his flushing. Nick peered at him closely.
"Are you seriously—"
"Wright," Miles looked up, his face slightly angry. "Don't bring it up." Nick waved his hands as if to defend himself.
"Sorry. Guess I hit a nerve..."
"Besides, I should be asking the same about you and Iris. Last I checked, she still cared about you. And I have evidence that you still do as well..." Miles responded, humor returning. Phoenix crossed his arms as his face started blushing.
"Eh heh heh, you're funny, Edgeworth," Phoenix answered. Miles leaned back comfortably in his seat.
"Just stating what I see... just stating what I see..." Miles murmured. Nick decided to go on the attack.
"So, seriously, what's up with you and Franziska?" Phoenix asked. Miles's face became serious again.
"Look, I care about her. Is that a crime?" Miles replied defensively.
"No, but how much do you care? Enough to buy a ring?" Phoenix asked slyly. He got the reaction he hoped for; Miles put his face down on the table and his face was redder than than Tres Bien's not-usually-fresh tomatoes.
"Wright..."
"I mean, she just walked out the door! Why didn't you ask her then?" Nick continued.
"...not ready," Miles mumbled. Phoenix raised an eyebrow.
"Huh?" Miles heaved a sigh before answering.
"I've known Franziska since I was about eleven. She always comes out seeming like she has a "hard shell", but I've seen her at her weakest. Still, she always seems to stive to be stronger, even when her priorities have changed. I know that if I teach her what I had to learn about prosecuting, she could become a strong woman that I would admire. Then I'd probably "buy a ring" as you call it," Miles spewed. Phoenix knew that Miles wouldn't unleash this flurry of emotions without fully trusting him. Nick actually felt "honored" of being his confidant.
"But what if she isn't like you thought she is after she learns that lesson? It's not that easy to change a person," Phoenix questioned. Miles thought for a moment.
"I'm not 'changing' herself completely; I'm hoping to have her change her "priorities". Her father taught her and me that the only thing worth fighting for in a court of law is a "guilty" verdict. But I want her to understand that what's truly important is finding the truth... no matter what the verdict is," Miles explained.
"How are you hoping to accomplish this? Like I said, she's leaving for Germany as we speak!" Nick asked, concerned that for once in Miles's life, he wasn't thinking things through.
"After I finish up here, I'm leaving for Germany in a couple of months," Miles responded. Nick nodded.
"Fine, but isn't this plan of yours a type of "manipulation"?" Nick asked, knitting his eyebrows together. Miles's eyes grew wide for a second but then he replied.
"If it was manipulation, then my goal would be strictly selfish. To be honest, even if she hates me afterward, I want her to understand the truth so that she can live with herself," Miles explained. Phoenix's eyes widened in confusion.
"So if she does hate you after all this is done...?"
"Then I will still have completed my objective. Like I said, I care about Franziska. If that means leaving her life to give her peace, then so be it," Miles sighed and looked out the window, his eyes growing sad. "But I'm not going to miss my chance to be a part of her life."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
There! Chapter One completed! I'll hopefully post more chapters if I get response (I'd rather not double post...)
Sorry for the "arguing with myself" thing with Franziska; but you'll be seeing it a bit. More of her conflicting emotions will be developed and explained in the next, if not the third, chapter.
Thanks for reading!

Sorry ya'll




) ya'll are going to have to wait for the next chapter! Bwahahaha! (actually, it's because I'm super busy with a
/
I've read your other stories and I really enjoy them; so thanks for your input, being that you're a writer that I respect.
Really!? Let me just say something: all those people who must learn English, I totally respect you guys and I'm also dreadfully sorry. English is a weird, inconsistant language. I mean, one of our "rules" is seriously: I before T except after C or sounding like "ay" as in "weigh"
pairing to
but i liked it anyway dispite this...


It's not quite the way I write them, but the fun of reading other people's stuff is precisely that they handle things differently and make you think about them in a new way. Yours is a fic quite worth reading.
Heh heh, I'll grant this one is no doubt one of the best, but Decisive Evidence Is only my first Phoenix Wright Fanfic, In truth I'm sure it's got a long way to go to be this good.
Oh well, I'm glad you're enjoying it. And thanks for the compliment; I don't think mine is the best, but I'd have to agree with "Decisive Evidence"!
I'll take it as a compliment since I've never considered myself a good romance writer. Thanks for reading and responding!