Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street

Page 1 of 1[ 23 posts ]

DGS Names (puns, origins) (spoilers)Topic%20Title

迷探偵

A quick list of the name puns & origins. Of the names I know Takumi commented on, I also included that, otherwise, it's just conjecture. There are a couple I still don't know though.

Spoiler: Main Characters
成歩堂龍ノ介 / Naruhodō Ryūnosuke: Comes from Naruhodō Ryūichi / Phoenix Wright. Takumi has stated it was the first idea he got when he decided the protagonist was Naruhodō’s forefather. Akutagawa Ryūnosuke (芥川龍之介) is a famous Japanese writer, but to keep the names apart, Takumi changed the kanji of no (之) to a katakana no (ノ).

亜双義一真 / Asōgi Kazuma: Takumi has commented that the name comes from, Asōgi (阿僧祇), a word denoting the rather large number of 10^56 (from Chinese origin). In contrast, Kazuma (一真) means “one truth”. Also note that both kanji in his given name are symmetrical, something Takumi often goes for (the name Mayoi (真宵)/ Maya for example was chosen because of that) (See also NinjAngel's post).

御琴羽寿沙都 / Mikotoba Susato: Takumi has stated several times he chose the name simply because he liked the kanji visually, rather than picking the name for some meaning. Mikotoba, written as 御言葉, is a honorific form for the word “word” (“Your valuable words”). "Susato" is the rearrangement of the family name of someone Takumi knew from university.

シャーロック・ホームズ / Sherlock Holmes.

アイリス・ワトソン / Iris Watson: Possibly from A Scandal in Bohemia’s Irene Adler (both start with Airi(アイリ) in Japanese).

バロック・バンジークス / Barok van Zieks: Takumi has stated that he needed to think a lot about this name and that he was too ashamed to explain it. Banjīkusu might come from the saying banjikyūsu / 万事休す, which means “all is over”, or “nothing more to be done”. JapaneseGIRL has proposed the theory of Takumi coming up with the name when he felt “it was all over” in his mental struggles in figuring out a good name. In-universe, it refers to the fact that all defendants will eventually perish, whether they escape from Van Zieks in the courtroom or not. Barok probably comes from the Baroque movement.

Spoiler: Episode 1
ジョン.H.ワトソン / John. H Watson

御琴羽悠仁 / Mikotoba Yūjin: Family name comes from Susato. Yūjin, written as 友人, means "friend", and Yūjin is presented as John H. Watson’s friend.

亜内武土 / Auchi Taketsuchi: Auchi comes from the English "Ouch". Taketsuchi possibly comes from bushi (武士), "warrior", with the last kanji switched out for the similar-looking tsuchi (土), "earth".

渦久丸泰三 / Uzukumaru Taizō: ? From uzukumaru (うずくまる), “to crouch”?

渦久丸九郎丸 / Uzukumaru Kurōmaru: ? From kurō (苦労),”hardship”? From the English "crawl"?

園日暮三文 / Sonohigurashi Sanmon: Sonohigurashi (その日暮らし) means ‘making a living day by day’. Sanmon (三文) basically means ‘three pennies’, so the complete name is ‘making a pittance day by day’.

細長悟 / Hosonaga Satoru: The kanji for his family name are “thin" and "long” and Takumi commented that this is because he has a long, yet feeble life. Satoru too is a normal name, but as for why this name was chosen (when this happens in a Takumi game, it usually means he just chose a name he likes, or 'borrowed' the name of a friend).

ジェゼール・ブレット / Jezail Brett: In the original Holmes novels, Watson was shot by a Jezail bullet. Jeremy Brett was one of the better known actors of Sherlock Holmes on TV.

ラ・クワントス / La Quantos: From kuwan to su (食わんとす), "Let's eat".

帝都勇盟大学/ The Teito Yūmei University: From yūmei (有名), "famous". Originates from Ace Attorney 3

Spoiler: Episode 2
デミトリ・デミグラスキー: Dmitri Demiglaski: From demi-glace.

ミトロフ・ストロガノフ / Mitrov Stroganov: From meatloaf and beef stroganoff.

グリムズビー・ロイロット / Grimseby Roylott: From The Adventure of the Speckled Band.

ニコミナ・ボルシビッチ / Nikomina Borschevic: From nikomi (煮込み), "stew", and borscht. While straying from the food theme, the family name also sounds like Bolshevik (see also Broocevelt's post).

クロッポイ / Kroppoi ("Blacky"): From kuroppoi (黒っっぽい), "blackish". Is refered to with the "-kun" suffix, so probably male. (See also Rubia Ryu the Royal's post).

ピロシコ / Piroshko: From piroshki, a Russian meat bun. The suffix -ko is usually used for females. (See also Rubia Ryu the Royal's post)

アラクレイ号 / The Alaclair: From arakure (荒くれ), "wild".

ノバビッチ・バレエ団/ Novavic Ballet Troupe: ?

Spoiler: Episode 3
ハート・ヴォルテックス / Hurt Vortex: ? hāto (ハート) might come from hato (ハト), "pigeon". Vortex might be a reference to a clock: both turn in a circular (clockwise or counter-clockwise) direction. Vortex was taken from the disentanglement puzzle Cast Vortex which Takumi was playing with at the time.

コゼニー・メグンダル / Cosney Megundal: kozenī comes from kozeni (小銭), “small change”. Megundaru (恵んだる) is a contracted form of megundeyaru (恵んでやる), which together with kozeni means “I’ll spare you some small change”.

モルター・ミルバートン: Mortar Milverton: Mortar because he’s a brick maker. Milverton comes from The Adventure of Charles Augustus Milverton.

トバイアス・グレグソン / Tobias Gregson: From the Sherlock Holmes stories.

ベッポ / Beppo: From The Adventure of the Six Napoleons (See also NinjAngel's post).

オスカー・フェアプレイ / Oscar Fairplay: From “fair play”.

アダム・レディファスト / Adam Ladyfirst: From “ladies first”.

ジーナ・レストレード: Geena Lestrade: From "G. Lestrade" from the Sherlock Holmes Stories.

Spoiler: Episode 4
夏目漱石 / Natsume Sōseki: Arguably the most famous Japanese writer. Akutagawa Ryūnosuke was a big fan of Sōseki by the way.

ワガハイ / “I”: wagahai (吾輩) is an archaic (and pompous) way to refer to oneself. One of Sōseki’s most famous stories is Wagahai wa Neko de aru / “I am a Cat”.

ジョン・ガリデブ / John Garrideb: From The Adventure of The Three Garridebs. Gari (ガリ) means "skins and bones" and debu (デブ) means "fat", so a combination of slanky and fat (see wife).

ジョーン・ガリデブ / Joan Garrideb. Elongated (bigger) variation of her husband’s name (John - Joon (Joan)).

ビリジアン・グリーン: Viridian Green: Both are green.

パットリック・オマーリ & ローラ・オマーリ / Patrick (Pat) & Laura O’ Malley: From “patrol” (patroller). Omāri comes from omawari-san (お巡りさん), "police officer".

ボロブック古書堂 / Borobook Antiquarian Bookshop: From boro (ボロ), "shabby".

ブルボン屋 / Burbon Shop: Burubon comes from furuhon (古本), "old books".

ブライヤーロード / Briar Road: From briar pipe (one of the types of pipe Holmes smoked).

メシャムロード / Meerschaum Road: From meerschaum pipe (often seen in visual depictions of Holmes, like the deerstalker hat).

キャラバッシュロード / Calabash Road: From calabash pipe (often seen in visual depictions of Holmes, like the deerstalker hat).

ルコック氏の肖像 / Portrait of Monsieur Lecoq: From the Monsier Lecoq stories (Sherlock Holmes said of his literary senior: "Lecoq was a miserable bungler," he said, in an angry voice; "he had only one thing to recommend him, and that was his energy. That book made me positively ill. The question was how to identify an unknown prisoner. I could have done it in twenty-four hours. Lecoq took six months or so. It might be made a text-book for detectives to teach them what to avoid."

海とガボリオ / The Sea and Gaboriau: Émile Gaboriau was the writer of the Monsieur Lecoq stories.

カンタベリ慕情 / Canterbury Affection: From The Canterbury Tales

獅子王物語 / Lion King Adventures: From The Adventure of The Lion's Mane

Spoiler: Episode 5
ハッチ・ウィンディバンク / Hutch Windibank: Hacchi comes from hachi (八), “eight”. A pawnshop in Japanese is shichiya (質屋), and when written as 七, shichi means “seven” (also used in Professor Layton VS Ace Attorney, IIRC). Windibank comes from A Case of Identity.

執刀医サイモン / Surgeon Simon: From The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor?

エッグ・ベネディクト / Egg Benedict: From eggs benedict.

ネミー・ティンピラー / Nemmy Tinpillar: Nemī is a bastardization of nemui (眠い), “sleepy”. Tinpirā comes from chinpira (チンピラ)、”thug”.

タリー・ティンピラー / Tully Tinpillar: Tarī is a bastardization of kattarui (かったるい), “tired”.

ウゼーの兄貴 / Yousay: Uzē is a bastardization of uzai (うざい), “annoying”.

ルバート・クログレイ(ミルバートン) / Rubert Crogrey (Milverton): Rubāto comes from Mirubāton, “Milverton” (see episode 3). Kurogurei comes from kuro (黒), “black” and the English word “grey”. Gurei (グレイ) could also be a play on clay (クレイ). Holmes is said to also smoke a "black clay" pipe. Also, clay could be a reference to John Clay from The Adventure of The Red-Headed League

A,サツシャァ: A. Sascha: From ansatsusha (暗殺者), “assassin”.

聖アントルード病院 / St. Untrood Hospital: From the English word "untold", which in turn is a reference to the chapter title The Adventure of the Unspeakable Story

"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

Last edited by Ash on Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:00 am, edited 16 times in total.
Re: DGS Names (puns, origins) (spoilers)Topic%20Title

Just a cute lil' bun-bun

I'd say Nikomina Borschevic comes directly from the Bolsheviks, a rather obvious one. Other than that, thank you for the masterpost! It's really appreciated.

Winter Flag Trademark

Awesome! Now I'll be able to know what all the name puns mean and where! Like, Thanks alot for this masterpiece you made, Ash~ :maya:

PS: I thought the blue-haired Prosecutor's name was "Baroque van Zeiks".

This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.

~*Deux Ames Un Coeur*~

I actually remember an interview where 阿僧祇 was brought up as being an inspiration for Asougi's name--one of the larger ones, just before pre-release...Yeah, in the August issue of Nintendo Dream. Takumi says straight up that his name came from 阿僧祇.

Beppo, meanwhile, is probably a light Sherlock reference--Beppo was the culprit (I believe?) in The Adventure of the Six Napoleons

迷探偵

Updated the post with the comments above. I haven't read all interviews, so in case I've missed more from Takumi on the names, please comment.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear

1000% Knight

Awesome list, thanks Ash!

Although I like to think of it as "Heart Vortex"
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

Racing through the sky like a Missile

I was going to make a list of my own, but I like this one better, so I'm just gonna leech off of it.

I actually went back and checked the names of the two pets from case 2.
Spoiler:
クロッポイ (Kroppoi) - from "kuroppoi" meaning "blackish". His name uses the "kun" suffix, so I assume he's male.

ピロシコ (Piroshko) - from "piroshki", a Russian meat bun: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pirozhki
"ko" is Japanese for "girl" or "kid". This snake is probably female.

Oh, I just realized.
Spoiler: 1-2 & DGS-2 parallels
Mia went down to a guy named "Redd White". Asogi was suspected of going down to a cat basically named "Blacky"... though he actually went down to a rather "pure white princess" type.

Mia went on to keep living as a spirit, so her death wasn't so permanent, though. Asogi, who wasn't quite assassinated but was killed anyway, was facing against a certain "darkness" that Holmes had brought up at one point.

The irony is so strong it stings.

The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com

迷探偵

Added the pets and corrected some mistakes in the text (I had forgotten the cop's name was Patrick, and not just Pat!)

Bad Player wrote:

But he looks more like hurt than heart! (Also, now it's a neat little Doctor Who reference. Time!).

1000% Knight

Ash wrote:
Bad Player wrote:

But he looks more like hurt than heart! (Also, now it's a neat little Doctor Who reference. Time!).

Really? I think he's super hug-able
(Just like a certain character from AA1 :gant: )
Credit to Evolina for the sig+avatar!

^ Could it perhaps be because he likes to stretch out his arms a lot like he's ready to accept hugs?
All aboard the Gantex express. Choo-choo~
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu

元・超会社員級の管理人

Fantastic work, Ash! I caught some of these, but others flew right over my head. (I'm particularly kicking myself over "Omari".)
Hi! I've largely stepped back from C-R due to life stuff. Please contact one of the other staff members for help!

Wooster wrote:
If there was such a thing as the "Wooster Seal of Approval", this post would get it.

迷探偵

Added some location names / evidence (in the respective episodes).

迷探偵

In one of those moments that suddenly hits you: Hurt Vortex -> hāto -> hato, "pigeon".

There is only one truth!

I'm just throwing ideas around.

It is possible that Vortex (ボーテックス) might invoke some expression involving 忙 (busy) like 忙殺 【bousatsu】, 忙中 【bouchuu】, 多忙 【tabou】, or 煩忙 【hanbou】?

棒 【ぼう】 (n) pole; rod; stick might be another starter idea since he has that mechanical cane
If you spell out Vortex as dumbly as possible you get ボテツクス / ぼてつくす and the last 4 kana are pretty similar to てつくず (scrap iron)
Maybe Vortex is "Bou-tetsukuzu": "Scrap iron rod" for the metal cane he carries around.

So he becomes "Mr. Pigeon Scrap iron cane".

Or maybe he just has his hand (手) in a box (ボックス).

Last edited by Chekhov MacGuffin on Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

His name is actually written as ヴォーテックス with emphasis on the initial "v", so it's definitely referring to the english word, rather than a particular Japanese pun. Besides, there are too many "bou"s to account for, and none of them really match up. And it's obvious he was named after the TEX file format Capcom is so fond of.

I can only imagine it's some pun on the Japanese term for vortex: "kachuu", which when written differently can also refer to "nobility", or "kadou", again written differently becomes "operation of machinery".

Though, the bit with the pigeons was for one second when we first stepped in that office. I guess it counts? Then again, what else could "hāto" come from? It certainly can't be from the way he wants a hug, right? :p

Edit: Oh, wait... No, I forget. Did Vortex have a cuckoo clock in his office?

Last edited by Rubia Ryu the Royal on Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

There is only one truth!

Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
His name is actually written as ヴォーテックス with emphasis on the initial "v", so it's definitely referring to the english word, rather than a particular Japanese pun. Besides, there are too many "bou"s to account for, and none of them really match up. And it's obvious he was named after the TEX file format Capcom is so fond of.

I can only imagine it's some pun on the Japanese term for vortex: "kachuu", which when written differently can also refer to "nobility", or "kadou", again written differently becomes "operation of machinery".

Though, the bit with the pigeons was for one second when we first stepped in that office. I guess it counts? Then again, what else could "hāto" come from? It certainly can't be from the way he wants a hug, right? :p
I just edited my post. Sorry. :P See "Mr. Pigeon Scrap-iron Cane" in the above post.

Edited this post... And missed the reply below. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Edit: Oh, wait... No, I forget. Did Vortex have a cuckoo clock in his office?
His whole office counts as a cuckoo clock.

Last edited by Chekhov MacGuffin on Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.

That's a good one. He definitely has an emphasis on machinery... and time.

Makes me wonder if one of his clocks in his office is actually a cuckoo clock.

There is only one truth!

That's a good one. He definitely has an emphasis on machinery... and time.

Makes me wonder if one of his clocks in his office is actually a cuckoo clock.
His whole office counts as a cuckoo clock.

迷探偵

His name is actually written as ヴォーテックス with emphasis on the initial "v", so it's definitely referring to the english word, rather than a particular Japanese pun.

(...)

It's ヴォルテックス, actually. And I'm pretty sure you see the pigeons flying in the background several times during the game, not just the first time.

Oh, and I just realized this: a clock turns clockwise (duh). Just like a vortex (okay, sometimes counter-clockwise, but you get the idea).

There is only one truth!

My savior WWWJDIC says Vortex is ボーテックス; ボルテックス. But that's the noun, not the guy's name.

Ash wrote:
It's ヴォルテックス, actually. And I'm pretty sure you see the pigeons flying in the background several times during the game, not just the first time.
Everytime he spreads his arms out like he wants a hug pigeons go flying. It happens several times.

Fleeing for their lives no doubt. Vortex's hugs are second only to Gant's swimming lessons.

迷探偵

Chekhov MacGuffin wrote:
My savior WWWJDIC says Vortex is ボーテックス; ボルテックス. But that's the noun, not the guy's name.

It's the most common way to write the English word vortex in katakana because it's easier to pronounce for most people, but certainly not the only correct one(s), because it's just an approximation of the English word. For example, 「ミステリー」、「ミステリ」 and 「ミステリィ」 are all viable ways to write the English word "mystery" in katakana. (the other way around, 「ハート」 can be written in alphabet as hāto, hato, haato, heart, hurt, hart amongst others). 「ヴォルテックス」 is linguistically much closer to the English word in terms of pronuncation, and you do see it used in Japanese.

Nuri has commented that he used a vortex as a theme for the design (specifically, Vortex' hairdo), so I assume that's how Takumi presented this character/name to Nuri (i.e. simply vortex, and not some deeper Japanese play on words). In general, Takumi's puns are rather obvious in Japanese and he seldom goes for complex wordplay.

迷探偵

Edited the list for the explanation of the name Susato, which Takumi recently revealed in this interview. The name is apparently simply a rearrangement of the family name of some guy he knew from university. So nothing big behind it.

迷探偵

Added the official explanations for Hosonaga and Vortex. The latter was simply based on a disentanglement puzzle called Vortex Takumi was playing with at the time!
Page 1 of 1 [ 23 posts ] 

Board index » Phoenix Wright » Baker Street