Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

For rips or edits of PW:AA / GS game sprites and related art.
Ropfa
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:00 pm
Custom Title: Dracarys!
Location: In a courtroom, for some reason

Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Ropfa »

VOTING IS GO!!!

The theme for this month is a bit different from the previous two, in that you won't be making a new OC. Instead, you will be making a breakdown animation for either a canon character or an OC that you/somebody else has already made. If you make something for one of your own OCs, it must be a pose that you started working on after the start of the contest.

CONTESTANTS:

Here are the entrants for this month. Unfortunately, I won't have enough free time to make some snazzy artwork for them. I'll give you two weeks for the voting (so until the beginning of November).

DefenceLawyer
Image
Acro stands up

ThatOneJimmy
Image
Gummy's heart attack

SuperAj3
Image
Maggey's freakout over Gumshoe dying (presumably of a heart attack)

Hesseldahl
Red Flowers
Spoiler: space saver
Image
RULES:
Spoiler: Rules *PLEASE READ*
  • Each month a new topic will be picked (by the previous month's winner)
  • To enter, just post your entry here
  • Stick to the theme! (This one's obvious) but make sure you enter something relevant to the theme picked
  • ONE entry per person. You can submit one character/sprite design and it can be as little as a single frame, or as large as a full set! Up to you
  • NO USING OTHER FAN SPRITES. Even with permission, we want to see your own creative works. Editing official sprites is OK though.
  • Be creative! Simple recolours are not allowed. At least 2 character sprites edited together with a unique colour palette counts as an original sprite. Also drawing custom outfits/costumes from scratch for existing sprites is also acceptable.
    Example:
    Acceptable:
    ImageImage
    (Custom drawn costume, or a splice of 2 or more official characters, with a unique palette)

    Unacceptable:
    ImageImage
    (Basic recolour of official sprite, or minimal editing of official sprites)
  • Please create an entirely new sprite for the competition. If you made a character you think really suits the theme, then you can still edit that sprite into a new one for the competition.
  • Both AA and AAI styled sprites are acceptable, except if the task specifies one or the other.
  • You get 2 weeks to vote after submissions close. This way people have time to look at the entries and vote.
  • Voting will be done after submissions have closed and, as CR has no polling system, all you need to do is post a comment saying your favourite.
  • You can vote for 2 of your favourite choices.
  • You are NOT allowed to vote for yourself.
  • You can use sprites/characters/poses from any RELEASED Ace Attorney game. This includes GK2, DD and PLvsAA. NOT DGS just yet! (Wait until CR officially allows DGS spoilers before using those characters)
  • You can edit your sprite and resubmit it as many times before the cut off date (preferably by editing your original entry post). These can only be minor edits to your existing entry though like fixing some messiness or anatomy, no brand new sprites that you've made. Have confidence in the first entry you make!
RULES FOR HOSTS:
Spoiler: Rules *PLEASE READ*
  • Make sure you pick a topic that hasn't been done before (Unless it's been over a year since it's been done)
  • Make sure you COPY the rules into your posts to notify everyone!
  • Name your topic as "Monthly Spriting Competition! - Insert genre/topic here"
  • You have creative freedom with selecting topics, provided the entries are in the AA style of sprites. Ideas like a 2 person team collab, or situations like "Twins" where 2 characters are in the 1 sprite are also allowed as potential topics.
  • For clarity's sake, make a quick sprite as an example of what you're expecting from contestants, and post it in the OP)
  • YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF COLLECTING VOTES! Unfortunately, CR doesn't have a polling system, and so votes will have to be through individual comments (to prevent people voting multiple times, we will stick to posting alone)
  • Once the voting is closed, it is up to you announce the results (1st, 2nd and 3rd place), and the winner.
  • You can take as long as you want to start up the next competition thread. If you don't want to be the one running it, you can let 2nd place be in charge.
  • You CANNOT enter if you are hosting, but you can vote.
  • If 2-4 entries receive equal votes, announce those who tied, and hold a tie breaker voting between those. If 5+ to/or every entry ties, the host can pick the winner.
  • If a tie breaker ends with another tie, all those tied win, and they decide the next host amongst themselves.
You will have until October 15th. Happy spriting!

I may or may not have time to make artwork for the entrants.
Last edited by Ropfa on Mon Oct 19, 2015 2:09 pm, edited 8 times in total.
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by SuperAj3 »

Ohohohoh! I love this idea! This'll give me an excuse to work on some more spriting!

If you're offering to let people use your OCs to make a breakdown then it should be fine IMO. I only put that rule in to prevent people ripping off other's custom made sprites (Like taking another's sprite and just changing one thing or palette swapping).
Pierre
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 14363
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:30 pm
Custom Title: Gettin' Old!
Location: Scotland

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Pierre »

I'm no sprinter but I just wanted to say I support this endeavour as its a really interesting topic xD

Good luck!
Made by Chesu+Zombee
Image
You thought you could be safe in your courts, with your laws and attorneys to protect you. In this world only I am law, my word is fact, my power is absolute.
DefenceLawyer
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1014
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by DefenceLawyer »

This is a great idea...

Hmm...

I am wondering if I can come up with any ideas.
Sig.
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by SuperAj3 »

I've started working on my entry. It's not easy at all! I'm trying to work out the frames.
I hope they don't have to be killer breakdowns, the one I'm working on is a bit different.
DefenceLawyer
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1014
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by DefenceLawyer »

SuperAj3 wrote:I've started working on my entry. It's not easy at all! I'm trying to work out the frames.
I hope they don't have to be killer breakdowns, the one I'm working on is a bit different.
I attempted a break down sprite for the Bell Boy, but it did not work at all.

It has been years since I made a sprite gif. Guess this is a good excuse to make one again!
Sig.
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Oliver »

...*opens Google* Spriting for Dummies...hmmmm....
Ropfa
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:00 pm
Custom Title: Dracarys!
Location: In a courtroom, for some reason

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Ropfa »

If people are having trouble with the animations, I will extend the deadline.
Splodey_Goat
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 11:08 pm
Custom Title: I like to pretend I can art.
Location: Bismarck, North Dakota

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Splodey_Goat »

I'm a little confused how you're defining a breakdown. Every character has a shocked sprite, some are just more dramatic than others. Like, I'd personally consider Lana biting her thumb so hard it sprays blood, which only happens one time if I remember correctly, a lot stronger of a "breakdown" than Dee Vasquez breaking her pipe.

You made a point in the initial post that breakdowns aren't necessarily just for killers, so where are we drawing the line between a dramatic shocked sprite and a "breakdown"? Just so I know, so I don't start working on an animation to later realize they're not a qualified character.
Ropfa
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:00 pm
Custom Title: Dracarys!
Location: In a courtroom, for some reason

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Ropfa »

The only unqualified characters are those who already have breakdowns. Don't put too much thought into it, because unless you break that rule, you probably won't get disqualified (we need as many contestants as we can get). You can make something along the lines of Lana or you can go all out and do a breakdown for an evil version of Phoenix with a fully animated freakout.
FenrirDarkWolf
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 am
Custom Title: Otter

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Oh hey!
Sprite comps are a thing here too!
Let's do it :D
View my Sprite thread!
Image
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Ropfa
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:00 pm
Custom Title: Dracarys!
Location: In a courtroom, for some reason

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Ropfa »

Just a heads up that there's about two weeks left. If no entries are in by about next week, I'll go ahead and extend the deadline.
DefenceLawyer
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1014
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by DefenceLawyer »

I was working on something for a while, but its just too damn difficult. Will have to skip this time round :basil:
Sig.
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by SuperAj3 »

Ropfa wrote:Just a heads up that there's about two weeks left. If no entries are in by about next week, I'll go ahead and extend the deadline.
I haven't given up on my entry yet! I've just been busy with assignments eating up all my free time. :larry:
DefenceLawyer
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1014
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by DefenceLawyer »

SuperAj3 wrote:
Ropfa wrote:Just a heads up that there's about two weeks left. If no entries are in by about next week, I'll go ahead and extend the deadline.
I haven't given up on my entry yet! I've just been busy with assignments eating up all my free time. :larry:
I don't return to uni till early October, but I started stressing out about all the work I have to do when you returned, Super Aj3 :payne:
Sig.
Ropfa
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:00 pm
Custom Title: Dracarys!
Location: In a courtroom, for some reason

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Ropfa »

The deadline will be extended, due to the C-R annual sprite competition. Feel free to enter in both.
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by SuperAj3 »

It's not fully complete, but I probably won't get the 2nd animation done in time... Enjoy!
Image
Maggey breaking down after she realised it was her fault the killer was able to enter the building to murder Detective Gumshoe :sadshoe: (That's right... Gummy's dead :shoe: ) But yeah, I wanted to do another pose of her crying and blowing her nose into the hat, maybe if I can update this post with it if I make it in time?
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Oliver »

SuperAj3 wrote:It's not fully complete, but I probably won't get the 2nd animation done in time... Enjoy!
Image
Maggey breaking down after she realised it was her fault the killer was able to enter the building to murder Detective Gumshoe :sadshoe: (That's right... Gummy's dead :shoe: ) But yeah, I wanted to do another pose of her crying and blowing her nose into the hat, maybe if I can update this post with it if I make it in time?
I really do love the sprite, good job! And...Detective Gumshoe is...dead? You bastard!
Hesseldahl
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 am
Custom Title: Scratch spriter
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Hesseldahl »

I wish good luck to everyone! I was palnning to do somethimg with Gretta but seems that my travel Japan is not going to let me do it.
Ropfa
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:00 pm
Custom Title: Dracarys!
Location: In a courtroom, for some reason

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Ropfa »

The deadline has been extended until mid-October.
Hesseldahl
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 327
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:09 am
Custom Title: Scratch spriter
Location: Mexico
Contact:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Hesseldahl »

This is nice, I'm still at Japan so it might take me until the last moment but whatevs! MY NAME IS HESSEHL AND I'M FINE!
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Oliver »

Hmph. My name is Oliver, and I suppose I'm fine, about 5% of the time?
Why are we doing this?
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by SuperAj3 »

MY NAME IS SUPERAJ3 AND I'M FINE! :apollo: XD
I hope to see more entries! It's an awesome topic for the sprite comp and I wanna see more people breaking down!
DefenceLawyer
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1014
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by DefenceLawyer »

I threw this thing together solely for the fun of it.

An Acro breakdown :acro:

Image

Ever since I played the game all those years ago, I always imagined that a sprite of Acro standing up out of his chair would appear in-game. Unfortunately, it never happened, so I decided to make it. Of course, equipped with a breakdown.

Edit: Oh and this was my 900th post! Took me six years to get here, but.. Woop! Celebration post!
Sig.
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Oliver »

That looks funnier than anything..I just got done with laughing...you get my vote.
But you forgot to make him fall over and ruin his legs even further, gosh, DefenceLawyer
DefenceLawyer
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1014
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by DefenceLawyer »

Oliver wrote:That looks funnier than anything..I just got done with laughing...you get my vote.
But you forgot to make him fall over and ruin his legs even further, gosh, DefenceLawyer
Damn, that would have been so much better :basil:

I know just the sprite which I could have used to make that possible, as well!!

We'll just have to image that happened afterwards :grey:
Sig.
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Oliver »

DefenceLawyer wrote:
Oliver wrote:That looks funnier than anything..I just got done with laughing...you get my vote.
But you forgot to make him fall over and ruin his legs even further, gosh, DefenceLawyer
Damn, that would have been so much better :basil:

I know just the sprite which I could have used to make that possible, as well!!

We'll just have to image that happened afterwards :grey:
*sigh* I am a horrible person, and so are you. We want a handicapped man to ruin his legs further, murderer or not, that's just... :sadshoe:
ThatoneJimmy
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 7:24 pm
Custom Title: Kind of been offline for a while
Location: United States

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by ThatoneJimmy »

Edit: Sprite Not eligible, Will be posted somewhere.
Last edited by ThatoneJimmy on Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Oliver »

ThatoneJimmy wrote:Here's my entry:
Spoiler:
Image
Actually, did you know Blackquill already has a breakdown? Just a fun fact for you.
ThatoneJimmy
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 7:24 pm
Custom Title: Kind of been offline for a while
Location: United States

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by ThatoneJimmy »

Nvm
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Oliver »

No, in the game.
Spoiler:
When he says "CURSE YOU PHOENIX WRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!" when he starts to testify. Although the sprite they use for it is identical to his shocked sprite. However, it's only used once in the witness spot.
ThatoneJimmy
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 195
Joined: Sun May 10, 2015 7:24 pm
Custom Title: Kind of been offline for a while
Location: United States

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by ThatoneJimmy »

Ah, that.
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by SuperAj3 »

DefenceLawyer wrote:I threw this thing together solely for the fun of it.

An Acro breakdown :acro:

Image

Ever since I played the game all those years ago, I always imagined that a sprite of Acro standing up out of his chair would appear in-game. Unfortunately, it never happened, so I decided to make it. Of course, equipped with a breakdown.

Edit: Oh and this was my 900th post! Took me six years to get here, but.. Woop! Celebration post!
This is so well done! Very freaky! He can walk! :beef:
DefenceLawyer
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1014
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by DefenceLawyer »

SuperAj3 wrote:
DefenceLawyer wrote:I threw this thing together solely for the fun of it.

An Acro breakdown :acro:

Image

Ever since I played the game all those years ago, I always imagined that a sprite of Acro standing up out of his chair would appear in-game. Unfortunately, it never happened, so I decided to make it. Of course, equipped with a breakdown.

Edit: Oh and this was my 900th post! Took me six years to get here, but.. Woop! Celebration post!
This is so well done! Very freaky! He can walk! :beef:
Haha thanks :basil: I figured that since he was an acrobat, he would stand up with a bit of flair.

I was always confident that he could secretly walk... I just knew it.
Sig.
Ropfa
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:00 pm
Custom Title: Dracarys!
Location: In a courtroom, for some reason

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Ropfa »

Oliver wrote:No, in the game.
Spoiler:
When he says "CURSE YOU PHOENIX WRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!" when he starts to testify. Although the sprite they use for it is identical to his shocked sprite. However, it's only used once in the witness spot.
Are you talking about the "forward facing shocked" pose on this page?

http://aceattorney.wikia.com/wiki/Simon ... te_Gallery

I don't think I would consider that a breakdown, since it's identical to his other damage sprites, regardless of the angle it's from.

Jimmy, if you want, go ahead and use your image.
Last edited by Ropfa on Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Oliver »

Ropfa wrote:
Oliver wrote:No, in the game.
Spoiler:
When he says "CURSE YOU PHOENIX WRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!" when he starts to testify. Although the sprite they use for it is identical to his shocked sprite. However, it's only used once in the witness spot.
Are you talking about this?

Image

I don't think I would consider that a breakdown, since it's identical to his other damage sprites, regardless of the angle it's from.

Jimmy, if you want, go ahead and use your image.
I can't see the image, for whatever reason.
SuperAj3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 3288
Joined: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:23 am
Custom Title: Art Person
Location: Making Sprites

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by SuperAj3 »

Oliver wrote:
ThatoneJimmy wrote:Here's my entry:
Spoiler:
Image
Actually, did you know Blackquill already has a breakdown? Just a fun fact for you.
Blackquill never really had a breakdown. It's just the shock from Fulbright's taser kinda looks like one, but it's no breakdown. Smashing his shackles isn't either because it's not a one off thing.
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Oliver »

SuperAj3 wrote:
Oliver wrote:
ThatoneJimmy wrote:Here's my entry:
Spoiler:
Image
Actually, did you know Blackquill already has a breakdown? Just a fun fact for you.
Blackquill never really had a breakdown. It's just the shock from Fulbright's taser kinda looks like one, but it's no breakdown. Smashing his shackles isn't either because it's not a one off thing.
That's not what I was talking about.
Ropfa
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1224
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:00 pm
Custom Title: Dracarys!
Location: In a courtroom, for some reason

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Ropfa »

Oliver wrote:That's not what I was talking about.
I edited my previous post. If the image you're thinking of is what I think it is, then it's not a breakdown.
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition: Breakdown Bonanza

Post by Oliver »

Ropfa wrote:
Oliver wrote:That's not what I was talking about.
I edited my previous post. If the image you're thinking of is what I think it is, then it's not a breakdown.
Okay...It's just that since it's used only once, and the text which goes with it.
Anyway, let's stop talking about this now, we're getting off topic.
Post Reply