After winning the last competition narrowly, I fell asleep. I woke up and it was February 28th and I hadn't made up the next Monthly competition. After panicking for a few hours, I finally decided on a theme and made a sprite, hoping against hope that people would want to enter despite my noobishness in this particular area.
But before I get to the theme, the rules specific to this competition, and the deadline, I should lay out the prizes!
1st prize: You get to host the next monthly competition. You get to decide the theme and make an example sprite and do basically what I'm doing right now.
2nd prize: You get a year's supply of . . . Nothing!
3rd prize: You get an invisible spider. I call him Aragog. You'll only know he exists because you'll feel something crawling on you, and then realize there is nothing there. You can also tell he's there because things will randomly go missing. He's a hoarder.
Those are all fantastic prizes! How could anyone resist entering?!
Anyway, enough with the jokes. It's time to get serious!
Spoiler: The rest of the OP, laying out all the rules and such
Allow me to introduce you all to May-ow Fey, sister of Meow Fey! She is a (domestic) cat/human hybrid. The theme for the March-April competition is custom animal/human hybrid sprites. The entry submission period will last from March 1st to April 2nd at 11:00PM CST. However, as long as it is April 2nd still in your timezone when you submit, I will not be picky about what specific time it was turned in. Fair enough, right? I'll lay out the rules for clarification.
What is allowed:
Q: What can you find here?
A: The things you CAN submit.
- You can submit one hybrid.
- You can submit a whole sheet, animations, or just one sprite.
- You can hybrid canon characters or OCs, up to you.
- The hybrid can be a combination of human and any animal, be it existing, extinct, or even mythical.
- The hybrid can also be a combination of a human and multiple animals.
- You can submit anything that fits these requirements and follows general Monthly Spriting Competition rules (found below).
What is forbidden:
Q: What can you find here?
A: The things you CANNOT submit.
- You cannot submit multiple hybrid characters. If you made more than one, anyway, please submit the one you think is best out of the ones you made.
- You cannot merely copy-paste the head of Shoe, Missile, or Polly onto a human body. I want to see how well you can blend human and animal together.
- You cannot submit anything that does not follow the general Monthly Spriting Competition rules (found below).
Extras:
Q: What can you find here?
A: The things I would appreciate, but are not required for submission. My personal judging criteria and an extra challenge can also be found here. I will start with things I would appreciate.
- I would appreciate it if beneath your entry, you write out what animal (or animals) you used in your hybrid.
- It is by no means a requirement, but I would like if, when you see someone's entry and the animal(s) they used, you try not to use the same animal in your own hybrid. Say, for example, someone submitted an entry that was a hybrid of a domesticated cat breed. You could try not using the same breed, you could use any variety of big cats instead, you could use extinct cat breeds, you could use mythical cats, just so long as you don't use the same one. If the breed is unspecified, you could still utilize big cats, extinct cats, and mythical cats. Again, this is not a requirement, but I would like to see this kind of effort made.
- After you've made your entry, I would appreciate if you named it. And who doesn't appreciate puns? That's right. How about a Detective Dick Dogshoe? How about an Officer Mike Tweetkins? How about a Wendy Oldbat? PUNS! Or maybe you'd prefer to pick someone with a name that already has the pun? What about combining Phoenix Wright with an actual phoenix? What about combining Maggey Byrde with an actual bird? How about combining Matt Engarde with a swordfish (because Engarde is a swordfish in Donkey Kong. I'd get it)? Just some examples of what could work.
- Extra Challenge: Don't use the family of any entry previously submitted. Someone makes a cross between human and cat, try making one not using any cats at all. That includes big cats, extinct cats, and mythical cats.
Now for my personal judging criteria. I will be asking myself these questions for each entry:
- Does it look aesthetically pleasing?
- Can I identify which animal(s) was/were used?
- Does it look natural?
Additional Rules:
Q: What can be found here?
A: A copy/paste of the applicable rules from the previous competition. These are general rules that apply to every competition for participants and hosts.
Spoiler: RULES
- Each month a new topic will be picked (by the previous month's winner).
- To enter, just post your entry here.
- Stick to the theme! (This one's obvious), but make sure you enter something relevant to the theme picked.
- ONE entry per person. You can submit one character/sprite design and it can be as little as a single frame, or as large as a full set! Up to you
- NO USING OTHER FAN SPRITES. Even with permission, we want to see your own creative works. Editing official sprites is OK though.
- Be creative! Simple recolours are not allowed. At least 2 character sprites edited together with a unique colour palette counts as an original sprite. Also drawing custom outfits/costumes from scratch for existing sprites is also acceptable.
Example: Acceptable:
(Custom drawn costume, or a splice of 2 or more official characters, with a unique palette)
Unacceptable:
(Basic recolour of official sprite, or minimal editing of official sprites)
- Please create an entirely new sprite for the competition. If you made a character you think really suits the theme, then you can still edit that sprite into a new one for the competition.
- Both AA and AAI styled sprites are acceptable, except if the task specifies one or the other.
- You get 2 weeks to vote after submissions close. This way people have time to look at the entries and vote.
- Voting will be done after submissions have closed and, as CR has no polling system, all you need to do is post a comment saying your favourite.
- You can vote for 2 of your favourite choices.
- You are NOT allowed to vote for yourself.
- You can use sprites/characters/poses from any RELEASED Ace Attorney game. This includes GK2, DD and PLvsAA. NOT DGS just yet! (Wait until CR officially allows DGS spoilers before using those characters)
- You can edit your sprite and resubmit it as many times before the cut off date (preferably by editing your original entry post). These can only be minor edits to your existing entry though like fixing some messiness or anatomy, no brand new sprites that you've made. Have confidence in the first entry you make!
Spoiler: RULES FOR HOSTS
- Make sure you pick a topic that hasn't been done before (Unless it's been over a year since it's been done)
- Make sure you COPY the rules into your posts to notify everyone!
- Name your topic as "Monthly Spriting Competition! - Insert genre/topic here"
- You have creative freedom with selecting topics, provided the entries are in the AA style of sprites. Ideas like a 2 person team collab, or situations like "Twins" where 2 characters are in the 1 sprite are also allowed as potential topics.
- For clarity's sake, make a quick sprite as an example of what you're expecting from contestants, and post it in the OP)
- YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF COLLECTING VOTES! Unfortunately, CR doesn't have a polling system, and so votes will have to be through individual comments (to prevent people voting multiple times, we will stick to posting alone)
- Once the voting is closed, it is up to you announce the results (1st, 2nd and 3rd place), and the winner.
- You can take as long as you want to start up the next competition thread. If you don't want to be the one running it, you can let 2nd place be in charge.
- You CANNOT enter if you are hosting, but you can vote.
- If 2-4 entries receive equal votes, announce those who tied, and hold a tie breaker voting between those. If 5+ to/or every entry ties, the host can pick the winner.
- If a tie breaker ends with another tie, all those tied win, and they decide the next host amongst themselves.
~*~ Ceres edit: Ok, since Lida hasn't responded, I guess I'll announce the winners.
I've added the poll count + Lind's vote.
So without further ado, here are the results.
In last place with 0 votes! (sorry dude) is... Mister Gruel's Phoenix Wright
In 5'th place with 2 votes! is... SuperAj3's Moovin Grudderberg
In 4'th place with 4 votes! is... Lind's Herman Crab
In 3'th place with 5 votes! we have a triple tie!... Ropfa's Oviraptor Williamson
Hesseldahl's Flo G. Emerald
SiberianHunter's Matt Lizarde
In 2'nd place with 6 votes! is... Ceres' Furio Tigre
And...in 1st place with 7 votes we have.. Darth Wiader's Maya Bee
Congratulations to Darth Wiader with the victory!, we will now all worship the ground you walk on and blow kisses in your general direction.
That's it folks, I'd like to thank everyone for entering.
It was a great turnout and I can't wait to see what the next competition will bring!
Last edited by Lida_Rose on Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:02 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Oh, my god. That is the best entry of all time! I can clearly picture it setting itself on fire and rising back up through the ashes. I would put it in the OP if I didn't already decide it was the winner by a landslide! I give hosting privileges to you, for the rest of your life~
Seriously, though, that entry's hilarious. I'm not sure if I'm laughing at it because I'm so sleep deprived or if I actually have a sense of humor. Probably the former.
But this is a serious competition. I don't take kindly to Tomfoolery around here.
Darth Wiader wrote:So, this is all about splicing a human with an animal, right?
...May I join?
(I should rot in hell for this...)
Of course you may.
About that image . . . I get the joke. And now I am sad.
Though I can't say I didn't expect someone to do something like that, so it's all good. Totally good. Nothing wrong with that joke whatsoever.
I will just, very calmly, put my torch and pitchfork away.
TheDoctor wrote:Maybe not you, but the guy in the picture? Yeah, definitely.
The sad part is, the guy in the picture would totally win.
Now to spend another night huddled under my blankets, thinking about FMA.
I was actually responding to his statement about rotting in hell. Seriously, the fate of having a millstone around his neck, then being thrown into the farthest reaches of the Marianas Trench would be letting him off easy.
I don't know if I can still take part in this contest (guess I can, since there is only one entry), but here is my hybrid:
I call him Matt Lizarde
(Matt Engarde and snake)
SiberianHunter wrote:This is also my first sprite that I decided to upload here.
And that makes it all the more impressive. Kudos.
Ceres wrote:Sounds fun.
Here you go:
Oh, my god . . . I can't believe, it's really . . . *Hyperventilates*
*Foams at mouth*
*Ahem*
No, Lida. You are a professional. Just because you kind of maybe admired this guy's sprites from a distance a liiittle bit and are a huge fan of his work doesn't meanyou can gopassing out when he decides to enter a contest you're hosting.
Anyway, Ceres . . .
MarrymesoIcanhaveyourbabies!
Your sprite has been added to the OP. Thank you for participating.
Sorry for the double post, but this here is my saying that this is the last call for entries.
If you want to submit a sprite for this contest, you still have a few hours, since I won't consider the deadline officially passed until I wake up tomorrow (technically later today), have my coffee, and check this thread.
If you want me to postpone the deadline so you can enter, speak now (or a few hours from now after I've gotten some beauty sleep) or forever hold your peace.
Voting will open tomorrow (technically later today) if no one has any objections.
Oh, very well. Your extension has been granted, but only because both of you are awesome and I would be loathe to start the competition without either of you guys' sprites.
I likely won't be here tomorrow until night time, and even then, I might not be in much shape to make the necessary adjustments to the OP and post.
Therefore, y'all have until the day after tomorrow to turn in your sprites.
Ropfa wrote:Figured I had half an hour of freetime, so I'd slap something together really quick.
Oviraptor Williamson
YES, I love this sprite.
Great idea as well.
But a prosecutor needs a defense attorney. :p
Oh! Oh! Lemme guess . . . Braq C. Osiris?! That's totally his name, right?! Do I win?
Oh, wait. This is my competition. Of course I win. Go, me.
In all seriousness, all entries shall be added to the OP, and then voting can commence! Stay tuned.
EDIT: Alright, everyone. I have opened the voting for this competition. Please refer to the voting rules, and to all contestants, I wish you all a Happy Spriting Competition! May the odds be ever in your favor!
See how I made a literary reference? I'm so with it and hip.
I may not have commented on each entry individually, but I love every single one of them. You guys are all fantastic.
Last edited by Lida_Rose on Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.