I turn slowly back to what was taken from me.
A friend and my comfort, the arms where I shivered.
When cold winds came out from the sea.
A lad at the time, when my father had sold her,
Just to drink for a time and forget of his shame.
He drank to his death, till his crimes were forgiven.
Lost too much to escape the blame.
For a time growing up, I thought of returning.
And to pry from the years what I had left behind,
But life pulled me far, for the times knew no kindness.
And I worried for what I might find.
Dulling with the times, while my memories faded.
The connection we had was too frayed now to save.
What once was my world, is now just a shadow.
If only I'd become more brave.
A dream in the night, I drove hundreds of miles.
I remembered again what it meant to be young.
Embrace all the hardships, and learn from time's passing.
To not ignore what once we clung.
Arrived in the morning, a day late to see her.
What's left to be seen were but her secrets lain bare.
With nails and a purpose, they built her from nothing
What I loved was no longer there.
I turn once again, and return to my anger.
Ignored it for years, now is my unending scorn.
They took her away, and rebuilt it for others.
Tis a loss that only I mourn.





