Page 1 of 3

Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ RESULTS!

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:21 am
by SuperAj3
RESULTS

And the Winner is...
Image
Spoiler: 1st Place
1st Place
Hesseldahl!!!! - 7 Votes
FULL SHEET
Image
Lillia Porpora
Runners Up
Spoiler: Runners Up
2nd Place:
milaza! - 2 Votes
Image
Cute Young Lady Assistant Maggey!

3rd Place:
Ropfa! - 1 Vote
Image
Scarfaced CEO

3rd Place:
SilverGS! - 1 Vote
Image
Snazzy CEO

Honorary Mentions:
Splodey_Goat! - 0 Votes
Image
CEO Gumshoe?
Thank you so much to all who entered! :redd:

VOTING IS CLOSED!
How to vote:
Simply post a comment with the number of the entry, for example, if voting for Splodey_Goat's entry simply post "I vote for 1" (Number in bold)
_______________
RULES:
Spoiler: Rules *PLEASE READ*
  • Each month a new topic will be picked (by the previous month's winner)
  • To enter, just post your entry here
  • Stick to the theme! (This one's obvious) but make sure you enter something relevant to the theme picked
  • ONE entry per person. You can submit one character/sprite design and it can be as little as a single frame, or as large as a full set! Up to you
  • NO USING OTHER FAN SPRITES. Even with permission, we want to see your own creative works. Editing official sprites is OK though.
  • Be creative! Simple recolours are not allowed. At least 2 character sprites edited together with a unique colour palette counts as an original sprite. Also drawing custom outfits/costumes from scratch for existing sprites is also acceptable.
    Example:
    Acceptable:
    ImageImage
    (Custom drawn costume, or a splice of 2 or more official characters, with a unique palette)

    Unacceptable:
    ImageImage
    (Basic recolour of official sprite, or minimal editing of official sprites)
  • Please create an entirely new sprite for the competition. If you made a character you think really suits the theme, then you can still edit that sprite into a new one for the competition.
  • Both AA and AAI styled sprites are acceptable, except if the task specifies one or the other.
  • You get 2 weeks to vote after submissions close. This way people have time to look at the entries and vote.
  • Voting will be done after submissions have closed and, as CR has no polling system, all you need to do is post a comment saying your favourite.
  • You can vote for 2 of your favourite choices.
  • You are NOT allowed to vote for yourself.
  • You can use sprites/characters/poses from any RELEASED Ace Attorney game. This includes GK2, DD and PLvsAA. NOT DGS just yet! (Wait until CR officially allows DGS spoilers before using those characters)
  • You can edit your sprite and resubmit it as many times before the cut off date (preferably by editing your original entry post). These can only be minor edits to your existing entry though like fixing some messiness or anatomy, no brand new sprites that you've made. Have confidence in the first entry you make!
RULES FOR HOSTS:
Spoiler: Rules *PLEASE READ*
  • Make sure you pick a topic that hasn't been done before (Unless it's been over a year since it's been done)
  • Make sure you COPY the rules into your posts to notify everyone!
  • Name your topic as "Monthly Spriting Competition! - Insert genre/topic here"
  • You have creative freedom with selecting topics, provided the entries are in the AA style of sprites. Ideas like a 2 person team collab, or situations like "Twins" where 2 characters are in the 1 sprite are also allowed as potential topics.
  • For clarity's sake, make a quick sprite as an example of what you're expecting from contestants, and post it in the OP)
  • YOU ARE IN CHARGE OF COLLECTING VOTES! Unfortunately, CR doesn't have a polling system, and so votes will have to be through individual comments (to prevent people voting multiple times, we will stick to posting alone)
  • Once the voting is closed, it is up to you announce the results (1st, 2nd and 3rd place), and the winner.
  • You can take as long as you want to start up the next competition thread. If you don't want to be the one running it, you can let 2nd place be in charge.
  • You CANNOT enter if you are hosting, but you can vote.
  • If 2-4 entries receive equal votes, announce those who tied, and hold a tie breaker voting between those. If 5+ to/or every entry ties, the host can pick the winner.
  • If a tie breaker ends with another tie, all those tied win, and they decide the next host amongst themselves.
_______________
Spoiler: Original Post
I have received the all-clear from Commander Bolt Storm :salute: , and now CR will have it's own monthly spriting competition! :gant-clap: :Mimi:
Simply put, Each month, a different category/genre will be set by the previous competition's winner, and you need to make a sprite that fits their criteria!
This month....
~From April to May...
...Bluecorp Employees!~


Image
I'm starting things a little early (seeing as tomorrow is April 1st, people might confuse this for a joke!)

Seeing as it's April, moving into May, my mind instantly thought of April May's punny name, and I thought "DRESS EVERYONE AS APRIL MAY!" Then I thought that would be an army of heads cut onto April's body, so...

This month it's your task to expand the Bluecorp personnel. You can either dress an existing character in a Bluecorp CEO or Assistant's uniform (Like I did with Edgey! :edgey: ), or create your own custom employee, updated Bluecorp uniforms or even a new CEO to replace the currently jailed Redd White! There's a lot of freedom to this!

To summarise, you can:
- Make an official or original character wear an existing Bluecorp outfit (a la Redd White or April May)
- Create your own new Bluecorp outfit for an official or original character (There's none for male employees!)
- Create your own original character who works for Bluecorp, adorned in a Bluecorp uniform.
DEADLINE:
The competition will run from April 1st and ends May 1st.
(I will leave entries open for an extra 24 hours after the 1st of May, as most timezones run slower than Australia :basil: )
Good Luck, and happy spriting! :redd:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! (UNDER WORKS)

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:38 am
by Ropfa
Monthly? So I won't have to wait for another game to come out?

:O

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! (UNDER WORKS)

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:49 am
by SuperAj3
Ropfa wrote:Monthly? So I won't have to wait for another game to come out?

:O
Unfortunately I have no prizes to give :sadshoe: But the winner gets to pick the next month's topic!

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! (UNDER WORKS)

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:08 am
by Hesseldahl
Kinda like in AAO Ropfa.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! (UNDER WORKS)

Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:12 pm
by TheDoctor
I'm looking forward to this. It'll be nice to see what topics a new group of minds comes up with.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! (UNDER WORKS)

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:20 am
by Funky Bunnies
sick! sounds like a blast! :gant-clap:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! (UNDER WORKS)

Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 6:42 pm
by ApolloRocks23
Mijumaru wrote: RULES:
Spoiler: Rules *PLEASE READ*
  • Each month a new topic will be picked (by the previous month's winner)
  • Stick to the theme! (This one's obvious) but make sure you enter something relevant to the theme picked
  • ONE entry per person. You can submit one character/sprite design and it can be as little as a single frame, or as large as a full set! Up to you
  • NO USING OTHER FAN SPRITES. Even with permission, we want to see your own creative works. Editing official sprites is OK though.
  • Be creative! Simple recolours are not allowed. At least 2 character sprites edited together with a unique colour palette counts as an original sprite. Also drawing custom outfits/costumes from scratch for existing sprites is also acceptable.
    Example:
    Acceptable:
    Image Image
    (Custom drawn costume, or a splice of 2 or more official characters, with a unique palette)

    Unacceptable:
    Image Image
    (Basic recolour of official sprite, or minimal editing of official sprites)
  • Both AA and AAI styled sprites are acceptable, except if the task specifies one or the other.
  • You get 2 weeks to vote after submissions close. This way people have time to look at the entries and vote.
  • Voting will be done after submissions have closed and, as CR has no polling system, all you need to do is post a comment saying your favourite.
  • You can use sprites/characters/poses from any RELEASED Ace Attorney game. This includes GK2, DD and PLvsAA. NOT DGS just yet! (Wait until CR officially allows DGS spoilers before using those characters)
The rules go perfectly for one of my OCs I made.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:11 am
by SuperAj3
I'm starting things a little early (Seeing as tomorrow's April 1st, and people could think the topic's a joke o.o .)
You have Until May 1st to enter.

Good Luck, and happy spriting! :redd:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:48 am
by SilverGS
SuperAj3 wrote:Image
This is just perfect.

Really like the theme, I'll probably submit something :godot:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 12:59 am
by mercurialSK
This is a cool theme. I actually came up with some Bluecorp OCs sometime last year XD There was something I wanted to test out anyway, so I'll try make some time for this.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:18 am
by SuperAj3
I'm happy to know people are taking interest! Can't wait to see what people enter!

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:32 pm
by milaza
Ooh, nice. I'll make something for this theme c:
Anyway, for voting, you might want to consider using strawpoll? If thats allowed.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:36 pm
by SuperAj3
milaza wrote:Ooh, nice. I'll make something for this theme c:
Anyway, for voting, you might want to consider using strawpoll? If thats allowed.
I thought of using an alternate site for polling, but that means people can just cheat and vote multiple times, or get their friends to vote. I want to keep this fair and just have it between members. I'll look at this site, but I want to see how commenting goes first. (It'll be messy, I know)

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 12:33 am
by Splodey_Goat
My very first thought was "Put Redd White in Godot's vest" but that was one of the samples... I'll have to think harder, but I definitely want in on this.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 1:22 am
by Ropfa
I have one character in mind. I'll try and slap something together, but it probably won't be a full set and just the base image.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:14 am
by SuperAj3
Added some rules about voting ties and what to do if everyone ends up voting for themselves and no one else votes. Please PM me if you see any problems these could cause, and i'll make sure they'll all be fixed by the next competition. (It'd be unfair if I change any more now that the competition has started)

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 5:40 am
by Splodey_Goat
Image

This is my first entry here and I'm not entirely sure if I need to give any information beyond just the picture, so I'm gonna go ahead and cover my bases. Hair from Manfred, face from Gumshoe (slightly edited), body made from Edgeworth's, colours taken from young gumshoe and Edgeworth for their respective parts, Lisa Basil for the jacket, and Damon Gant's tie for the vest. I didn't give much thought to the character himself other than he's probably some sort of executive. Low-level employees don't wear bright colours and 'Murica pins, after all. And special thanks to TheDoctor who convinced me to edit this sprite in the first place.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:23 am
by SuperAj3
Splodey_Goat wrote:Image

This is my first entry here and I'm not entirely sure if I need to give any information beyond just the picture, so I'm gonna go ahead and cover my bases. Hair from Manfred, face from Gumshoe (slightly edited), body made from Edgeworth's, colours taken from young gumshoe and Edgeworth for their respective parts, Lisa Basil for the jacket, and Damon Gant's tie for the vest. I didn't give much thought to the character himself other than he's probably some sort of executive. Low-level employees don't wear bright colours and 'Murica pins, after all. And special thanks to TheDoctor who convinced me to edit this sprite in the first place.
Our first entry! You've made history, my friend! :acro:
Looking good! Love the little US flag pin! 'Murica! :gant:
Don't worry about saying what parts you've edited. (I've used/seen all the sprites so much I can tell :valant: ) But thanks for covering the bases. :butzthumbs:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:13 am
by TheDoctor
Yes, that flag pin is quite good indeed. :D

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:26 pm
by SilverGS
Image

This is my entry, a new CEO of Bluecorp.
Spoiler: Sprite components
Head :

-Base : Bellboy
-Hair : Gregory
-Eyes : Diego
-Nose : Lance
-Mouth : Byrne

Body :

-Base : De Killer
-Arm : Tigre
-Suit lapels / Shirt / Tie : LeTouse
(I hope it's okay if I re-used my Akbey Hicks sprite for the body of this one, because I thought it fitted him well. Otherwise, I could redo it, I just want to know)

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:27 pm
by SuperAj3
SilverGS wrote:Image

This is my entry, a new CEO of Bluecorp.
Spoiler: Sprite components
Head :

-Base : Bellboy
-Hair : Gregory
-Eyes : Diego
-Nose : Lance
-Mouth : Byrne

Body :

-Base : De Killer
-Arm : Tigre
-Suit lapels / Shirt / Tie : LeTouse
(I hope it's okay if I re-used my Akbey Hicks sprite for the body of this one, because I thought it fitted him well. Otherwise, I could redo it, I just want to know)
Thanks Silver! And Don't worry! You sprited that Ackbey one, right? So it's still your work. I just said don't use other's fan sprites.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:33 pm
by TheDoctor
It's a good clarification to have though. On AAO, the rules are to create an entirely new sprite for the competition. It can be based off something you've sprited before, but it can't be an already existing sprite, if that makes any sense.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:49 pm
by SuperAj3
TheDoctor wrote:It's a good clarification to have though. On AAO, the rules are to create an entirely new sprite for the competition. It can be based off something you've sprited before, but it can't be an already existing sprite, if that makes any sense.
That makes sense. I'll add that to the rules.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:23 am
by SuperAj3
Bump!
Just a reminder there's a little over 2 weeks left until voting!
Currently we have 2 entries. This could be neck-and-neck!

Also, seeing as AAO doesn't allow self-voting, neither will we. Sorry about that :trucy:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:37 am
by TheDoctor
Yeah, kind of makes it difficult to find a winner if the only voters are contestants themselves (unless people can actually bring themselves to vote for someone else's work when they've clearly been bested, but that almost never happens).

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:26 am
by milaza
Image

After losing her job, Maggey takes a open spot for 'a cute young lady' at BlueCorp. Little does she know of the company's dark past...

Yeppers here is my entry it is mag

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:30 am
by SuperAj3
milaza wrote:Image

After losing her job, Maggey takes a open spot for 'a cute young lady' at BlueCorp. Little does she know of the company's dark past...

Yeppers here is my entry it is mag
Awesomesauce! I love that little debrief you wrote too! :basil:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:19 am
by Hesseldahl
Here's my entry!
Name Lilia Porpora, occupation: CEO of Bluecorp.
Description:A woman who looks and behaves really nuts! But for some reason I can't tell if she's a friend or a foe...
Extras:I decided to make her look like she came from the Phoenix original trilogy, that's why she has only about 16 colors, and she's supposed to be tall, that's why she's going to look tall comparing her with another character form the original trilogy.
Spoiler: entry
Image

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 5:04 am
by SuperAj3
Awesome! Do you mind if I just take one frame as a preview? I'll link to the whole sheet otherwise!

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:46 am
by TheDoctor
Hesseldahl wrote:Here's my entry!
Name Lilia Porpora, occupation: CEO of Bluecorp.
Description:A woman who looks and behaves really nuts! But for some reason I can't tell if she's a friend or a foe...
Extras:I decided to make her look like she came from the Phoenix original trilogy, that's why she has only about 16 colors, and she's supposed to be tall, that's why she's going to look tall comparing her with another character form the original trilogy.
Spoiler: entry
Image
Why does she remind me of Ms. Kashiwagi from Persona 4? Do you suppose it's the pose?

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:32 am
by SuperAj3
Hahaha, she reminds me a little of Mia.

Also, a bit OTT, but I made a little "And the winner is...." GIF:
Image

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:35 pm
by Hesseldahl
She was more inspired by Cruella De Vil actually :bellboy:

That looks really cool Mija!

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:15 am
by SuperAj3
Just a reminder there's 1 week left before voting!

Here are the current entrants:
-Spodey_Goat
-SilverGS
-milaza
-Hesseldahl

Thanks to everyone that's entered so far!

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:54 am
by Ropfa
So, I tried going back to using a canon sprite as a base and I think I've actually gotten to the point where my scratch sprites are better quality. Any future entries I make in this are definitely gonna be 100% from scratch.
Spoiler: entry
Image

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 11:01 am
by SuperAj3
Ropfa wrote:So, I tried going back to using a canon sprite as a base and I think I've actually gotten to the point where my scratch sprites are better quality. Any future entries I make in this are definitely gonna be 100% from scratch.
Spoiler: entry
Image
Thanks! That's Entry No. 5!
Don't worry if you use another sprite as a base! It looks really good! I can't tell what it was based off!

EDIT: I forgot to mention! If you want to edit your entry, you can revise (minor things ONLY like fixing lines, anatomy in certain areas, certain facial features etc. No re-doing your whole sprite from scratch!) it as many times before the cut off as you like! Just edit your existing entry post. I'll go through each post and copy the images after entries close to make sure your most updated one is shown for the voting.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:11 am
by Splodey_Goat
SuperAj3 wrote:
Ropfa wrote:So, I tried going back to using a canon sprite as a base and I think I've actually gotten to the point where my scratch sprites are better quality. Any future entries I make in this are definitely gonna be 100% from scratch.
Spoiler: entry
Image
Thanks! That's Entry No. 5!
Don't worry if you use another sprite as a base! It looks really good! I can't tell what it was based off!

EDIT: I forgot to mention! If you want to edit your entry, you can revise and re-post it as many times before the cut off as you like! You can re-post, or edit your existing entry post. I'll go through each post and copy the images after entries close to make sure your most updated one is shown for the voting.
If that's the case.

I think I've already accepted defeat, but I kept toying with my sprite trying to turn it into more of an original character and less Gumshoe in a cravat. I can barely draw so it's still all frankensteined together, but I'm gonna go ahead and resubmit this. Not super polished but I like it more than my first.
Image

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:17 am
by SuperAj3
Haha, have confidence in your original entry though! By 'edit' I was referring to minor things like cleaning up some lines or fixing anatomy. This is fine though.

I updated the rules to specify "Minor edits only", no full remakes of something you already submitted. I don't want people to make 5 different iterations because they fear they'll lose with their current one. This is all for fun, so what you enter is what you enter! If people think allowing edits is wrong, I'll remove that rule for future comps.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:22 am
by Splodey_Goat
SuperAj3 wrote:Haha, have confidence in your original entry though! By 'edit' I was referring to minor things like cleaning up some lines or fixing anatomy. This is fine though.

I updated the rules to specify "Minor edits only", no full remakes of something you already submitted. I don't want people to make 5 different iterations because they fear they'll lose with their current one. This is all for fun, so what you enter is what you enter! If people think allowing edits is wrong, I'll remove that rule for future comps.
:ack: Ah, yeah, that, that makes sense. Sorry. Take the original one for the contest then, I just felt that maybe I'd jumped the gun and posted the original too soon. Thank you for the vote of confidence, but I just have way too much respect for anyone who can draw their own stuff. I'm pretty new to spriting (and forums) and with so many great artists on here I'd hate to come off as anything but humble.

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:55 am
by SuperAj3
Splodey_Goat wrote:
SuperAj3 wrote:Haha, have confidence in your original entry though! By 'edit' I was referring to minor things like cleaning up some lines or fixing anatomy. This is fine though.

I updated the rules to specify "Minor edits only", no full remakes of something you already submitted. I don't want people to make 5 different iterations because they fear they'll lose with their current one. This is all for fun, so what you enter is what you enter! If people think allowing edits is wrong, I'll remove that rule for future comps.
:ack: Ah, yeah, that, that makes sense. Sorry. Take the original one for the contest then, I just felt that maybe I'd jumped the gun and posted the original too soon. Thank you for the vote of confidence, but I just have way too much respect for anyone who can draw their own stuff. I'm pretty new to spriting (and forums) and with so many great artists on here I'd hate to come off as anything but humble.
If you want, you can enter both as alternate poses for the same character? It may be daunting seeing others who've been spriting for longer, but still try your hardest! This is a good way to learn from other's works and so it's really good you're giving this a try! :butzthumbs:

Re: Monthly Spriting Competition! Apr-May '15 ~ Bluecorp!

Posted: Fri May 01, 2015 7:14 am
by SuperAj3
Final warning call for entries!
In about 7 hours May 2nd will hit (for me) and Voting opens!
EDIT: I'll wait another 24 hours just in case. If no one posts here tomorrow, Voting will begin!