"I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

It took 6 years, but the fifth main Ace Attorney game has arrived! Dust off your attorney's badges and chat Dual Destinies here.
Post Reply
shippersdreamer
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 701
Joined: Thu May 30, 2013 10:08 pm
Custom Title: Your Honor! There is a contradiction!
Location: Northern California

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by shippersdreamer »

JesusMonroe wrote:
Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Spoiler:
The "fake" one was trying to rehabilitate Simon? I'm... confused.

But it's probable that he knew. Phantom killed him and took his place only one year prior to this game. We don't know any more than that, but it's implied throughout the game that he and Simon had a good combo going for a long time.
Spoiler:
Bad phrasing on my part. Sorry about that. I was wondering if Simon ever met the real Fulbright. If he only met the fake one, then the fake one was pretending to be interested in rehabilitating him. The second half of your answer answered my question

It's sad, though. Somewhere out there is a man who truly cared about Simon and wanted to rehabilitate him but the Phantom killed him. The Fulbright we know was probably exactly the same as the real one, personality wise

To answer your question.
Spoiler:
I don't think Simon ever did meet the real Bobby Fulbright, since his autopsy report (or what Edgeworth said at least) says that he died a year before, which means that his death took place around Apollo's game or shortly afterwords, and from what I remember Simon wasn't prosecuting in the courts until recently. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Rubia Ryu the Royal
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 6180
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am
Custom Title: Racing through the sky like a Missile
Location: LA, Japanifornia

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Rubia Ryu the Royal »

shippersdreamer wrote:
JesusMonroe wrote:
Rubia Ryu the Royal wrote:
Spoiler:
The "fake" one was trying to rehabilitate Simon? I'm... confused.

But it's probable that he knew. Phantom killed him and took his place only one year prior to this game. We don't know any more than that, but it's implied throughout the game that he and Simon had a good combo going for a long time.
Spoiler:
Bad phrasing on my part. Sorry about that. I was wondering if Simon ever met the real Fulbright. If he only met the fake one, then the fake one was pretending to be interested in rehabilitating him. The second half of your answer answered my question

It's sad, though. Somewhere out there is a man who truly cared about Simon and wanted to rehabilitate him but the Phantom killed him. The Fulbright we know was probably exactly the same as the real one, personality wise

To answer your question.
Spoiler:
I don't think Simon ever did meet the real Bobby Fulbright, since his autopsy report (or what Edgeworth said at least) says that he died a year before, which means that his death took place around Apollo's game or shortly afterwords, and from what I remember Simon wasn't prosecuting in the courts until recently. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Spoiler: I'd like to add
He still could have known. We don't know when the two first met, since his "rehab" period could have started long before he returned to court.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: http://forums.court-records.net/viewtop ... 11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Nearavex
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 787
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 3:51 pm
Custom Title: Y'know

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Nearavex »

Spoiler:
I think that matter is actually pretty open to interpretation. My own headcanon is that Phantom killed Fulbright the day the latter was assigned to Simon in order to rehabilitate him, shortly after the two met in Blackquill's cell. Earlier, he could keep a close eye at him as, I dunno, maybe a prison guard?
 
JesusMonroe
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by JesusMonroe »

Apparently Blackquill's dialect is radically different in the JP version. How so?
TheBlackquillz
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 am
Custom Title: "Eggs?"
Location: Lurking through the forum...

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by TheBlackquillz »

JesusMonroe wrote:Apparently Blackquill's dialect is radically different in the JP version. How so?
Mostly because he was altogether more scary in the JP version than in the English version. To give an example, in the English version, he says "Silence!" But, in the JP version, he says "Dama ri nā!" which means "Shut up!"
Which do you prefer? I think I'd rather tell people to shut up.
I AM BACK KIDDOS AND I'M WATCHING YOU

For me, tumblr is more easily accessible on a day to day basis, so if you REALLY want to, go there. :think:
OR if you want to, message me and I'll send you my Discord!!
linkenski
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm
Custom Title: "I'm so sick of Khura'in!"
Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by linkenski »

I think both shut it or Silence carry a very grumpy tone, but Silence is more sinister and fits Blackquill's rather sophisticated nature better in the localization. I'd like to know if he's less formal in the JP version though since his Victorian age schtick has probably been quite the overhaul to his characterization I can imagine.

Also, to anyone who's played both versions: did you find the writing to be overall better or worse in either version cuz, I've learned that we got more pop-cult. references in our English version, but then we also had more typos, and I know for a fact that the voice acting was cringe inducing too :karma:

Did you think anything in particular was lost in the translation in the English version or did it just enhance the original script?
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Rubia Ryu the Royal
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 6180
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am
Custom Title: Racing through the sky like a Missile
Location: LA, Japanifornia

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Rubia Ryu the Royal »

linkenski wrote: Also, to anyone who's played both versions: did you find the writing to be overall better or worse in either version cuz, I've learned that we got more pop-cult. references in our English version, but then we also had more typos, and I know for a fact that the voice acting was cringe inducing too :karma:

Did you think anything in particular was lost in the translation in the English version or did it just enhance the original script?
I wouldn't say either one is better or worse, but I obviously have a bias toward references that I'm more familiar with. There are plenty of references in the Japanese games, but some are pretty obscure, while others are of detective stories I simply haven't read. An impressive amount of Japanese folklore made it into the localization too, and I think more so than in past titles. It kind of helps that the primary prosecutor is a weeaboo, but it was almost impossible to avoid with 5-2 anyway. Kurain Village and Hazakura Temple were simply handwaved aside as being outside of the city. Imo, the more Japanese culture that is preserved in-game the better, but I enjoy seeing how the localization tries to work around it and what they come up with instead.

Americanization awkwardness aside, the locale team stayed pretty true to the original... if you don't count how iffy some of the dubbed cutscenes were. The lines and acting felt natural in the Japanese version, and while they were especially hammy, it worked with the visual emphases. That, and the voices actually sounded like the actors were communicating, rather than speaking into a mic. (This may be due to how recording studios are set up in each country.)

It saddens me that Turnabout Quiz didn't make it overseas. There were some dialogue gems in there. It also suggests that if he wasn't tied up with hasty judgments and a compromised story, Yamazaki & co. could definitely pull off the characters. They may have a strange sense of humor sometimes, but it's all in good fun.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: http://forums.court-records.net/viewtop ... 11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
JesusMonroe
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by JesusMonroe »

What are some specific Detective novel/anime references in the JP version of the game (and you don't have to limit the references to what was mentioned in Dual Destinies)?
Rubia Ryu the Royal
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 6180
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am
Custom Title: Racing through the sky like a Missile
Location: LA, Japanifornia

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Rubia Ryu the Royal »

I didn't pick out any particular detective novel reference in DD, but I know about the A Aiichirou series referenced in 1-4, which was almost like a direct tribute to one of its earliest novels, and the AI-16 that is in-part an enumeration of the name itself.

As for the anime stuff... Turnabout Return is like one big shout out to One Piece, especially with that cheery intro theme, which reminds me of one of OP's character theme songs. And of course, the so-called Judgetron has a Japanese name that reminds me of Mazinger Z. (Someone remind me what it was again?)

On a slight tangent, Moe's Japanese name is Tommy (Tomida Matsuo), which references a classic Japanese crime drama/comedy by the name of "Rumored Detectives Tommy and Matsu" from 1979.

Things like that. Since I have never watched Legal High, I have no idea if there's been a reference to such a contemporary show... but I sure wish it had.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: http://forums.court-records.net/viewtop ... 11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Ash
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am
Custom Title: 迷探偵

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Ash »

It's also not very difficult to make a list of books / TV dramas that served as an inspiration for the many GS cases, though they are not really direct references. And most of it's Columbo anyway.

Another funny detective reference is the Japanese name of Marvin Grossberg. Hoshikage Soranosuke is a double reference. In Shimada Souji's Senseijutsu Satsujin Jiken / The Tokyo Zodiac Murders, the detective Mitarai Kiyoshi laments his name (literally, the clean toilet), saying a name like Tsukikage Hoshinosuke would be better. Hoshikage Soranosuke is obviously a play on that.

But both Takumi and Shimada were at the same time also referencing Ayukawa Tetsuya's detective Hoshikage Ryuuzou.

So Hoshikage Soranosuke (Takumi) <- Tsukikage Hoshinosuke (Shimada) <- Hoshikage Ryuuzou (Ayukawa).
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
JaytheBluPirate
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:18 pm
Custom Title: Sleeping is my life.
Location: Nowhere

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by JaytheBluPirate »

I don't know if anyone brought this up, but...

Something was bothering about 5-5. I'll put what I know in a spoilers for the sake of the Dual Destines spoiler rule.
Spoiler: UR-1 Incident
We know that it have been 7 years since the UR-1 Incident happened, right? And the retrial happened 7 years later.
However, now that I thought about it. It was stated in 1-5 that if a case haven't been reopened within 2 years, it'll be put up in the vault and be forgotten. Yet...
Spoiler: The problem
Miles Edgeworth have the files for the UR-1 Incident. How did he get his hands on the files, IF the UR-1 Incident happened 7 years ago? Shouldn't it be in the vault with the other solved cases? And if so, how did he get access to the files?
JesusMonroe
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by JesusMonroe »

BlueAttorney4ever wrote:I don't know if anyone brought this up, but...

Something was bothering about 5-5. I'll put what I know in a spoilers for the sake of the Dual Destines spoiler rule.
Spoiler: UR-1 Incident
We know that it have been 7 years since the UR-1 Incident happened, right? And the retrial happened 7 years later.
However, now that I thought about it. It was stated in 1-5 that if a case haven't been reopened within 2 years, it'll be put up in the vault and be forgotten. Yet...
Spoiler: The problem
Miles Edgeworth have the files for the UR-1 Incident. How did he get his hands on the files, IF the UR-1 Incident happened 7 years ago? Shouldn't it be in the vault with the other solved cases? And if so, how did he get access to the files?
1-5's vault was referring to violent crimes involving members of law enforcement. 1-5 also never stated that a case couldn't be reopened after two years, just that it would be very difficult to do so
Spoiler:
And considering Aura had a hostage situation going on, I'm sure Edgeworth would be able to get his hands on the files
JaytheBluPirate
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 267
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:18 pm
Custom Title: Sleeping is my life.
Location: Nowhere

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by JaytheBluPirate »

JesusMonroe wrote:1-5's vault was referring to violent crimes involving members of law enforcement. 1-5 also never stated that a case couldn't be reopened after two years, just that it would be very difficult to do so
Spoiler:
And considering Aura had a hostage situation going on, I'm sure Edgeworth would be able to get his hands on the files
Ah, it have been a while since I played 1-5. Sorry if my knowledge of 1-5 is a bit rusty.

Maybe you might be onto the reason why Edgeworth got his hands on the UR-1 files. If it was so difficult to reopen the UR-1 Incident case, he might have to pull some strings to get his hands on the files after he got word of the hostage situation.
DefenceLawyer
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1014
Joined: Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by DefenceLawyer »

This may or may not be the right place for it, but I need someone's help.

I wish to purchase the full version of Dual Destinies on my ipad, but I am being given the option to buy the "main story set" or the individual episodes. Is the main story set the full game? I just want to make sure before I make the purchase. Thanks :)
Sig.
Jozerick
Decisive Witness
Decisive Witness
Posts: 292
Joined: Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:34 am

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Jozerick »

The app description says:
Play the first episode for FREE!
※Episodes 2 through 5 can be purchased individually or as a set.
So yes, "Main Story Set" is equivalent to the full 3DS game without DLC (the special episode still has to be purchased separately, like on the 3DS).
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Oliver »

Jozerick wrote:The app description says:
Play the first episode for FREE!
※Episodes 2 through 5 can be purchased individually or as a set.
So yes, "Main Story Set" is equivalent to the full 3DS game without DLC (the special episode still has to be purchased separately, like on the 3DS).
And I'm not sure of this as I got the 3DS version, but isn't the iOS version overall cheaper?
Nurio
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Custom Title: A Kirby and AA fan
Location: The Netherlands

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Nurio »

Yes. I don't know the exact prices by heart, but it's considerably cheaper.
Image
D_Albertz
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:39 pm
Custom Title: New~

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by D_Albertz »

Spoiler:
I don't mind being spoiled so, and as i am currently a shameful non-consumer who prefers watching stories unfold than playing because my lack of money so.. onto the point:
Why is it necessary for Phantom to kill Clay? Clay is well unconscious or collapsed in the beginning..why must HE killed him when he can simply sneaking up behind them. Is it because Clay suddenly awaken when Phantom coming to the lobby? Did i miss anything?
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Oliver »

D_Albertz wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't mind being spoiled so, and as i am currently a shameful non-consumer who prefers watching stories unfold than playing because my lack of money so.. onto the point:
Why is it necessary for Phantom to kill Clay? Clay is well unconscious or collapsed in the beginning..why must HE killed him when he can simply sneaking up behind them. Is it because Clay suddenly awaken when Phantom coming to the lobby? Did i miss anything?
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure it's because Clay was actually alive and conscious. As he was in on that plan with Cosmos.
D_Albertz
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2009 12:39 pm
Custom Title: New~

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by D_Albertz »

Oliver wrote:
D_Albertz wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't mind being spoiled so, and as i am currently a shameful non-consumer who prefers watching stories unfold than playing because my lack of money so.. onto the point:
Why is it necessary for Phantom to kill Clay? Clay is well unconscious or collapsed in the beginning..why must HE killed him when he can simply sneaking up behind them. Is it because Clay suddenly awaken when Phantom coming to the lobby? Did i miss anything?
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure it's because Clay was actually alive and conscious. As he was in on that plan with Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Oh yeah that fake launching right?
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Oliver »

D_Albertz wrote:
Oliver wrote:
D_Albertz wrote:
Spoiler:
I don't mind being spoiled so, and as i am currently a shameful non-consumer who prefers watching stories unfold than playing because my lack of money so.. onto the point:
Why is it necessary for Phantom to kill Clay? Clay is well unconscious or collapsed in the beginning..why must HE killed him when he can simply sneaking up behind them. Is it because Clay suddenly awaken when Phantom coming to the lobby? Did i miss anything?
Spoiler:
I'm pretty sure it's because Clay was actually alive and conscious. As he was in on that plan with Cosmos.
Spoiler:
Oh yeah that fake launching right?
Spoiler:
Yes. But, just so you know, I might be wrong, I'm going off of memory here.
User avatar
Bryght Kane
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Nov 07, 2015 2:45 am

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Bryght Kane »

I noticed that Simon Blackquill adds the word Domo when he addresses the current defense attorney in court by his or her last name. What does Domo mean?
Spoiler:
I took noticed of the reactions during the scene when Robin Newman revealed she was a girl. I especially took note that Simon Blackquill reacted a 2nd time when Robin teased the courtroom about her letting everyone have a P E E K. Since Simon was the only one to react to Robin's teasing, I wondered what he was thinking in his mind. Was it appealing to him, in any way?

Is Simon Blackquill and Athena Cykes a shippable pairing? I had discussed this topic with a friend on FaceBook, He thought Simon was trying to win Athena's heart.
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Oliver »

Bryght Kane wrote:I noticed that Simon Blackquill adds the word Domo when he addresses the current defense attorney in court by his or her last name. What does Domo mean?
Spoiler:
I took noticed of the reactions during the scene when Robin Newman revealed she was a girl. I especially took note that Simon Blackquill reacted a 2nd time when Robin teased the courtroom about her letting everyone have a P E E K. Since Simon was the only one to react to Robin's teasing, I wondered what he was thinking in his mind. Was it appealing to him, in any way?

Is Simon Blackquill and Athena Cykes a shippable pairing? I had discussed this topic with a friend on FaceBook, He thought Simon was trying to win Athena's heart.
It's dono, and it means, (I took this from Urban Dictionary)
A Japanese suffix. Ranking higher in levels of politeness, Dono should be used with the utmost respect. Although it is lower than Kyou, it is one of the highest honorifics.
And you shouldn't ask about ships in these threads, you can't exactly say, "This is a decisive pair" as fact.
linkenski
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm
Custom Title: "I'm so sick of Khura'in!"
Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by linkenski »

In the japanese version what is The Dark Age of Law directly translated to english? I've recently been thinking about DD and thought about how the game uses the characters and interpersonal conflicts analogous to the dark age of law, but thr word "age" is a lot of the reason why I think this theme comes across as out of place in a series that has always had the troubles which DD depicts but never directly addressed them as the main theme which DD wanted to (but still didn't do directly)
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Rubia Ryu the Royal
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 6180
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:17 am
Custom Title: Racing through the sky like a Missile
Location: LA, Japanifornia

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Rubia Ryu the Royal »

It's translated directly as is: 法の暗黒時代. The "jidai" is translated to "age" or "era", namely a period of time

Perhaps the writers didn't convey it nearly as well as they could have, but it's like ikely referring to the whole 7-year gap between T&T and AJ, where the UR-1 Incident began.
The home of the Gyakuten Saiban vs Ace Attorney blog: http://gyakutengagotoku.tumblr.com
1/3/19 edit: The project has officially been moved to a new blog at https://gsvsaa.blogspot.com/ Further updates will be pending.

AA fanfiction archive: http://forums.court-records.net/viewtop ... 11&t=31369
Yakuza/RGG fanfiction archive: https://archiveofourown.org/users/rubia ... /rubia_ryu
My misc translation and work promos here at http://rubiaryutheroyal.tumblr.com
Ash
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2319
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 8:27 am
Custom Title: 迷探偵

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Ash »

So I never played AA4 in English, so I watched a video, but I noticed the localization was a bit off. In the Japanese version, Phoenix clearly says the dark age of law is already upon them, and that it was the Inital Trial System that's the cause of that. In the localized version, Phoenix suggest that dark times are coming (= not there yet). So in the original version, it's a bit more clear that it's been going for a longer time.

I also think that the release order might not have optimal for Western players. For Japanese players, the releases of Rise of the Ashes -> AA4 -> (GK1) -> GK2 form a clear line of major corruption/forgery cases within the legal world. Obviously, bad things had been going on in the AA legal world for a long time, but it was implied in those games that certain high-ranking characters had a habit of 'smoothing' these cases out and get them out of the public eye ASAP. With the persons gone who would usually keep things quiet, (because of Rise/GK2), as well as the Phoenix/Blackquill trials (and Phoenix/Edgeworth' careers of exposing things), the faults of the Initial Trial System were made more visible to the general public, leading to a general 'understanding' that the system was faulty, and to win in that system, you needed to cheat. For a lot of players though, the order would be Rise of the Ashes -> AA2 -> AA3 -> AA4 -> AA5 -> GK2, which makes the story they have been telling for a long time now less obvious.
"One dumbbell, Watson! Consider an athlete with one dumbbell! Picture to yourself the unilateral development, the imminent danger of a spinal curvature. Shocking, Watson, shocking!" - The Valley of Fear
linkenski
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm
Custom Title: "I'm so sick of Khura'in!"
Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by linkenski »

It's definitely notable that the localization of RftA, AJAA and AA5 differs. RftA happened under Ben Judd's localization; it was known that Janet Hsu first entered the localization department of this particular series with JFA, I think she said while AA1 credits Ben Judd as the localization manager but they probably had some of the same sub-translators. AA4 however got outsourced to Alexander O. Smith who is aknowledged for his excellent translations and then it was localized afterwards by Janet and her team while AA5 got the same treatment as AA2, T&T and AAI, where Janet and her team handled it exclusively.

In the english version of AA4 Phoenix does say that a dark time is coming in the final case as well, but the reason why I feel AA5 fails to deliver this theme is because it follows that idea, saying "A dark time has arrived" and then continues to show how basically everything is the same it's always been with forgeries and stuff, even the third case depicting a school with shady things going on fails as it's depicting something rather disingenuous to the argument that there's apparently a Dark Age of Law now more than ever. The most pertinent issue DD highlights it does without showing it; there's a "distrust" towards the legal world and that is the Dark Age of Law, which the finale actually addresses through the characters and the turmoil between them being analogous to the distrust in the larger picture, if you catch my drift.

I think the emphasis on "time" was probably in the original script as well then, but that's probably the biggest thing that works against the story DD tells. :eh?:
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
ocastitaslilium
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2016 12:41 am
Custom Title: being meguca is suffering

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by ocastitaslilium »

I heard that if you beat Dual Destinies in under 4 hours or so, Pearl will channel Clay for Apollo and, well... you get the idea. IS THIS TRUE??????
Spoiler:
Klonoahedgehog
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2022
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am
Custom Title: Gardevoir lover
Location: Puerto rico

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Klonoahedgehog »

ocastitaslilium wrote:I heard that if you beat Dual Destinies in under 4 hours or so, Pearl will channel Clay for Apollo and, well... you get the idea. IS THIS TRUE??????
Spoiler:
...No.
Image
My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
Apollo4Justice
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 357
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 8:05 pm
Custom Title: I'm fine and ready for justice!
Location: Florida

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Apollo4Justice »

Oliver wrote:
Bryght Kane wrote:I noticed that Simon Blackquill adds the word Domo when he addresses the current defense attorney in court by his or her last name. What does Domo mean?
Spoiler:
I took noticed of the reactions during the scene when Robin Newman revealed she was a girl. I especially took note that Simon Blackquill reacted a 2nd time when Robin teased the courtroom about her letting everyone have a P E E K. Since Simon was the only one to react to Robin's teasing, I wondered what he was thinking in his mind. Was it appealing to him, in any way?

Is Simon Blackquill and Athena Cykes a shippable pairing? I had discussed this topic with a friend on FaceBook, He thought Simon was trying to win Athena's heart.
It's dono, and it means, (I took this from Urban Dictionary)
A Japanese suffix. Ranking higher in levels of politeness, Dono should be used with the utmost respect. Although it is lower than Kyou, it is one of the highest honorifics.
And you shouldn't ask about ships in these threads, you can't exactly say, "This is a decisive pair" as fact.
To add onto what he says, Blackquill uses "dono" mockingly, considering how he treats the defensem from what I think. Also,
Spoiler: Case 3
considering how Blackquill reacts with something negative, something like "Gagh!", when Robin suggested a "P.E.E.K.", I doubt he was thinking anything dirty.
If you need a defense attorney, come talk to me! I just...can't take any cases that are in real life...it has to be on Miiverse. But I'm a justice-seeking warrior who wins every time, like Mr. Fine over there! Well, as long as you're not guilty. In Justice We Trust!
FenrirDarkWolf
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 am
Custom Title: Otter

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

So the site has Metis's age listed as 33, but can anyone source this in the game?
View my Sprite thread!
Image
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Nurio
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Custom Title: A Kirby and AA fan
Location: The Netherlands

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by Nurio »

This may have already been asked before, but there's one thing I wonder.
Athena uses several phrases from different languages, like Spanish, French and German. What I wonder is, what languages does she speak in the Japanese version?
Image
FenrirDarkWolf
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 805
Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 2:28 am
Custom Title: Otter

Re: "I just want to know one thing" - Dual Destinies Edition

Post by FenrirDarkWolf »

Nurio wrote:This may have already been asked before, but there's one thing I wonder.
Athena uses several phrases from different languages, like Spanish, French and German. What I wonder is, what languages does she speak in the Japanese version?
I think she peppers it with English in the Japanese version, especially her "Let's do this!" which is rendered in English text.
View my Sprite thread!
Image
AKABuddyFaithAKADiego
Post Reply