Favourite Thing about AAI?

Come Gumshoe, the game, 'Ace Attorney Investigations', is afoot.
JesusMonroe
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by JesusMonroe »

Something that often gets overlooked by the AAI series is Franziska von Karma. In the JFA, I thought she was an annoying rip-off of von Karma that wasn't nearly as threatening. In this game, I love her and Miles' brother-sister relationship and she's a great assistant. She's professional, hilarious, and smart. It's these games that make her one of my favorite characters
linkenski
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm
Custom Title: "I'm so sick of Khura'in!"
Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by linkenski »

Egh, I thought seeing her as her 13-year old self was a good surprise and great fan-service, but I got really sick of her constant accussations, but I understand that was more to change up the pace of the gameplay than anything, so that's OKAY!

Anyhow, I think as simple as it was, I really love the Logic mechanic. It's really straight-forward but that little "click" it makes in your head when you see two ideas that form a conclusion... it's just really good game design IMO because it lets the player deduce before the characters themselves spell it out for you.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
JesusMonroe
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by JesusMonroe »

Speaking of constant accusations, I kind of thought it was strange how the entire game switched defendants around until settling on one person you're defending the crime against
Spoiler: Whole Game
Case 1: Gumshoe-Maggey
Case 2: Edgeworth-Rhoda
Case 3: Meekins-Lauren
Case 4: Gumshoe
Case 5: Kay-Larry-Calisto (debatable, because you never really defend her)-Alba's unnamed secretary (wtf...)
Anyway, I thought Franziska was a lot more tolerable in this game. The only time I could stand her in the original trilogy was towards the end of JFA and the investigation segment of 3-5. I actually got really disappointed when I heard she was hardly in GK2 (and even more disappointed when I realized her role was smaller than I had originally thought)

With logic, I think the most disappointing thing is the music! It's really good, but by design, you'll never hear more than ten seconds of it, even though it gets good midway through the theme
linkenski
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm
Custom Title: "I'm so sick of Khura'in!"
Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by linkenski »

That is true, and it's yet another reason I don't understand why the devs haven't just gone to Noriyuki and told him to cut down on the playtime of his compositions, because that's a problem in general since AAI.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
JesusMonroe
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by JesusMonroe »

I don't know. It's a mixed bag for me. IMO, a lot of the tracks for AJ were far too short. If I'm listening to it on my computer (notably the thrill theme or tell the truth), they always end earlier than I want them to so I get left with a few seconds of silence. I overall prefer the soundtracks of the later games, but I like it best when they stay around the 2 minute mark
linkenski
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm
Custom Title: "I'm so sick of Khura'in!"
Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by linkenski »

I guess I like it balanced as well, in terms of length, just as long as the tracks keep the same feel and flow from start to finish.

I do think as a whole though, AAI has some of the best gameplay-music (excluding Tell The Truth) but the event music like reminiscence themes weren't as memorable as in some of the earlier games.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Yellow Magician
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1914
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:47 pm
Custom Title: Zoinks

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Yellow Magician »

Replaying AAI right now and honestly, my favourite part is
Spoiler: WHOLE GAME SPOILERS
How the over-arching plot line is actually quite believable, revolving around something that isn't sprituality/magic/some other useful skill passed down through generations
Makes quite a nice change.
3DS Friend Code: 5129-1407-0950

| -#courtrecords- | -Last.fm- | -Twitter- |
linkenski
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm
Custom Title: "I'm so sick of Khura'in!"
Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by linkenski »

I remember the first time I played it, I also liked that change of pace in terms of the storytelling too, but I felt like the whole smuggling-ring and ambassade-crap in the final case was off-putting and the game just ended on a very "meh" note.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
Yellow Magician
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1914
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:47 pm
Custom Title: Zoinks

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Yellow Magician »

Oh for sure, the very final testimony session was a disaster.
Spoiler: Ending spoilers
Incidentally, my dad's an ambassador and I'm pretty sure he would never have that amount of immunity...
3DS Friend Code: 5129-1407-0950

| -#courtrecords- | -Last.fm- | -Twitter- |
JesusMonroe
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by JesusMonroe »

Even though he/she's my least favorite final villain, I actually really like the confrontation with him/her. The final case dragged a lot less when I replayed it
Spoiler:
It should be hard to take down an ambassador. The execution was shoddy with the constant, "I'm leaving!" "No, you're not!" comments and it certainly could've been done better, but the final case isn't as bad as everyone says IMO

Yew should've been the final villain...
linkenski
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm
Custom Title: "I'm so sick of Khura'in!"
Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by linkenski »

My problem was mostly that Edgworth didn't have any personal stakes in AAI-5's scenario. He's just overly obsessed with the "truth" and acts like some sort of hero. It's just... it would've been more convincing if he actually had something to do with the story other than being "the detective who likes to poke into others' secrets". For a final case I don't think that sort of thong works. AAI2 fixed this, however.
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
JesusMonroe
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by JesusMonroe »

Yeah, I definitely agree. The first game was more Kay's story and her conflict with the accomplice felt more personal than the one with the ringleader

I also think the final conflict would be better if the killer actually tried to explain him/herself when faced with heavy evidence. Instead, he/she just said, "Nope! Doesn't matter!" The final boss in GK2 was very good in that regard
Yellow Magician
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1914
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:47 pm
Custom Title: Zoinks

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Yellow Magician »

JesusMonroe wrote:Even though he/she's my least favorite final villain, I actually really like the confrontation with him/her. The final case dragged a lot less when I replayed it
Spoiler:
It should be hard to take down an ambassador. The execution was shoddy with the constant, "I'm leaving!" "No, you're not!" comments and it certainly could've been done better, but the final case isn't as bad as everyone says IMO

Yew should've been the final villain...
Spoiler:
Did a bit of research and yeah, ambassadors do indeed have full diplomatic immunity. Consular positions, like what my dad had before he got promoted, are still liable for certain crimes in their host countries, which is probably where I got confused.

Either way, I haven't re-reached the end of AAI so I don't remember the details off the top of my head but there shouldn't have been much of an issue with just expelling Quercus back to Allehbast so their government could deal with him at some later point. Don't really get the sense of urgency..
3DS Friend Code: 5129-1407-0950

| -#courtrecords- | -Last.fm- | -Twitter- |
JesusMonroe
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by JesusMonroe »

Yellow Magician wrote:
Spoiler:
Did a bit of research and yeah, ambassadors do indeed have full diplomatic immunity. Consular positions, like what my dad had before he got promoted, are still liable for certain crimes in their host countries, which is probably where I got confused.

Either way, I haven't re-reached the end of AAI so I don't remember the details off the top of my head but there shouldn't have been much of an issue with just expelling Quercus back to Allehbast so their government could deal with him at some later point. Don't really get the sense of urgency..
Spoiler:
Because he'd only be tried for the murder of Ka-Shi-Nou, which was self-defense. Edgeworth had investigative rights in America so he needed to prove that the crime was committed in America so Quercus could be tried there. Sending Quercus back to Allehbast would basically mean America would have to try to extradite him if they wanted to reopen the Coachen case
Going for Miles
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7747
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm
Custom Title: The video game boy; the one who wins
Location: Sweden

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Going for Miles »

linkenski wrote:My problem was mostly that Edgworth didn't have any personal stakes in AAI-5's scenario. He's just overly obsessed with the "truth" and acts like some sort of hero.
Even more so in AAI2, I think. It was basically
"You don't have the authority to investigate here!"
"So? I'll do it anyway - for the sake of truth!"
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
linkenski
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1637
Joined: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:04 pm
Custom Title: "I'm so sick of Khura'in!"
Location: The localized equivalent of Denmark

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by linkenski »

GoingforMiles wrote:
linkenski wrote:My problem was mostly that Edgworth didn't have any personal stakes in AAI-5's scenario. He's just overly obsessed with the "truth" and acts like some sort of hero.
Even more so in AAI2, I think. It was basically
"You don't have the authority to investigate here!"
"So? I'll do it anyway - for the sake of truth!"
That's probably true but not in Case 3, and in Case 4 it's for Kay (haven't played it though). But I guess it is in case 5 just as in AAI. Probably full of "Nghoooooooooooh" too :-/
This is the Dark Age of the Ace Attorney
JesusMonroe
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1546
Joined: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by JesusMonroe »

Spoiler: GK2 Defendants
In Case 1, Edgeworth is called over there so he does have a reason to be there. He doesn't have an emotional stake in anything, though, but Hayami is accused

In Case 2, he defends Souta and starts thinking like an attorney

Case 3 and 4 are obvious and he defends someone close to him in Case 5, but I won't say who. Edgeworth also has a feud with the villain

Also, keep in mind that he despises criminals
sorenwind
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:41 pm

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by sorenwind »

I really think they should add Deduce to the Phoenix Wright games as well. It's such a simple mechanic but it adds more thought process to investigations.

Other than that I really like logic, especially when Edgeworth explodes with little ideas and then the game forces you to make the connection. That was fantastic. I get goosebumps whenever I play through case 2 when Edgeworth figures out the murder weapon.
Miles Morales
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 118
Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:43 pm
Location: Kumandra

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Miles Morales »

1.Getting to play as Edgeworth
2. the music
3. seeing characters I like from past installments namely Maggey Ema Skye and Gumshoe
All Lives Matter
Just Do It
Keep It Classic
Equality
Dream Big
All for one One for all
#Autism Speaks
#Mamba Mentality#8#24#2
Celebrate Each New Day
#WNBAAllDay
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Kingdom Heats 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Destiny 2
I'm interested in mechanics,so I would be happy to learn about snake traps.
Good isn't a thing you are Its a thing you do
randomly_ren09
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat May 17, 2014 4:47 am
Custom Title: currently stuck in P3 pitfall
Location: the abode of peace
Contact:

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by randomly_ren09 »

My favourite part is the gameplay, the moment Young!Kay blew her nose on Edgeworth's cravat, and the many scenes with Edgeworth and Franziska investigating together :edgey: :franny:. Investigations is the many reasons that made me fell for the two prosecutors too.

Oh, and the soundtrack is DANG AWESOME!!
uhh... still waiting for a new sig to be made...
Dogtimus Prime
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 55
Joined: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:04 pm
Custom Title: Redd White X Redd White is my OTP
Location: UK

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Dogtimus Prime »

The Music, all of the music in this game is really good, my favourites are Presto and Crisis of Fate as the former is just amazing and the latter is the greatest suspense theme in the series by several Miles (Heh, Geddit?).
WaitingforGodot
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 am
Custom Title: [Whip the cream!]
Location: Sweden

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by WaitingforGodot »

Awkay, from both games: Yumihiko. Music. GK2-big bad. Quite a lot of enjoyable characters. Kay coming out of nowhere, kicking Miles.
Going for Miles wrote:Even more so in AAI2, I think. It was basically
"You don't have the authority to investigate here!"
"So? I'll do it anyway - for the sake of truth!"
One should never investigate while being plastered.
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Oliver »

Edgeworth, Gumshoe, and Kay are glorious. As well as all other characters. I won't go further because I'm biased to Edgey. But the investigations are nice. (duh)
Also AAI2 is just Debeste thing ever.
Mayu Igiyooki
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:01 am
Custom Title: Winter Flag Trademark
Location: Igiyooki Manor, P/A.
Contact:

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Mayu Igiyooki »

^ Even though AAI2 was the best, I wouldn't decline that AAI was also nice as well. However, I'll do say that AAI2's music was the awesome one in the Investigations Series, despite AAI1's music. Plus, this was the first time (maybe) that they have invoked hard rock in their music.
Image
This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Oliver »

Isn't Guilty Love hard rock? Or is that normal rock? I suck with music... :toaster:
Going for Miles
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7747
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm
Custom Title: The video game boy; the one who wins
Location: Sweden

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Going for Miles »

Badd. Also fooling around with walking minisprite-Edgeworth. The music is quite rad in both games, and GK2's final boss is the boss.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Klonoahedgehog
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2022
Joined: Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:20 am
Custom Title: Gardevoir lover
Location: Puerto rico

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Klonoahedgehog »

Going for Miles wrote:Badd.
This, all of this, this guy is badass.
Image
My DA account can be found here: http://klonoahedgehog.deviantart.com/
Mayu Igiyooki
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2216
Joined: Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:01 am
Custom Title: Winter Flag Trademark
Location: Igiyooki Manor, P/A.
Contact:

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Mayu Igiyooki »

Klonoahedgehog wrote:
Going for Miles wrote:Badd.
This, all of this, this guy is badass.
I think you meant "Baddass"?
Image
This account is dead. Link to my DeviantART.
Going for Miles
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7747
Joined: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:22 pm
Custom Title: The video game boy; the one who wins
Location: Sweden

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Going for Miles »

The Baddest Baddass around.
(......Ack! I've run out of snide comments!)
Thelema
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 888
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Thelema »

Main things I liked about AAI (I haven't played GK2 yet):

1) It explores Edgeworth's and Franziska's past.
I honestly don't care much about Kay's story, but Turnabout Reminiscence was pretty good at portraying Edgey's and Franziska's younger years. Their interactions were funny, cute and exploring the dynamics of the von Karma family added some depth to the characters.

2) Things happening and cases being solved at different, exciting places.
You don't spend half of the game in a courtroom, and some episodes happened in places where you could never be in a regular AA game (like the first episode, for example, when you are in a flying plane).

3) No judge
Yes, no freaking irrelevant character adding irrelevant, pointless stuff to conversations.

4) The new mechanics
Edgeworth's Logic is probably my favorite problem-solving mechanism in the series, mainly because it isn't based on supernatural stuff (like the Magatama) and it is centered around ideas and concepts (and how these ideas mix up together), rather than just focusing on objects.

This pretty much makes AAI my favorite Ace Attorney game after JFA. I really need to play GK2, though. I only see people praising it.
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Oliver »

Are you calling the judge irrelevant? :grey:
Thelema
Prosecutor
Prosecutor
Posts: 888
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 4:58 am

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Thelema »

Oliver wrote:Are you calling the judge irrelevant? :grey:
He is only relevant in the moment he decides "guilty" or "not guilty".
Nurio
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:01 pm
Custom Title: A Kirby and AA fan
Location: The Netherlands

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Nurio »

dangerousoffender wrote:He is only relevant in the moment he decides "guilty" or "not guilty".
Okay, I wasn't going to point it out at first, but now that you said this, I have to.
The judge actually gives a witness account in AAI and does more than just hand out a verdict. (In fact, he doesn't give a verdict in that game, if I recall correctly)
Image
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Oliver »

Nurio wrote:
dangerousoffender wrote:He is only relevant in the moment he decides "guilty" or "not guilty".
In fact, he doesn't give a verdict in that game, if I recall correctly
Gumshoe is found guilty of dirtying the courtroom. Then sentenced to death.
WaitingforGodot
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 7320
Joined: Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:17 am
Custom Title: [Whip the cream!]
Location: Sweden

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by WaitingforGodot »

Poor Gumshoe. :sadshoe:
Gimme a "P"! Gimme an "I"! Give me a "P" and an "E"! What's that spell?! Pipe!
Oliver
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2453
Joined: Tue Jul 28, 2015 6:40 am
Custom Title: Great Revival
Location: Location

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Oliver »

I agree...but it's better than feeling the wrath of Franziska's whip.
PrincessPenelo
Suspect
Suspect
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:01 pm

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by PrincessPenelo »

The thing I love the most about the AAI series is the relationship between Edgeworth, Kay and Gumshoe.
I like so much to see them interacting. And I love the growing of their characters.
It's also funny and interesting to see things from a different point of view, for exaple to see how much Gumshoe is close and loyal to Miles, or to see the character development of Edgeworth, changing himself little by litte.
And of course I like all the references to the previous chapter but if I should say just one thing I love of this series, I should say "the unstoppable trio".
MoonRaven
Desk Jockey
Desk Jockey
Posts: 126
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2015 3:38 pm
Custom Title: Red string of fate tied me to manilla
Location: ELO

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by MoonRaven »

Favourite thing? Raymond Shields and flashback case with Gregory Edgeworth
Jean Descole
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney
Posts: 2859
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:00 pm
Custom Title: The cape is self-fluttering
Location: The Bostonius

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Jean Descole »

Since AAI didn't turn me on so much, my favorite things about AAI2 were the new characters, as well as how the story tied together well. (Gregory = honorable mention)
"Descole? You don't mean Mr. I-Like-to-Wreck-Things-with-Mechanical-Monsters-and-Dress-Up-as-Posh-Ladies Descole?" -Emmy Altava
Image
...NAILED IT
Planetbox
Medium-in-training
Medium-in-training
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2015 6:43 pm
Custom Title: ASCEND
Location: The Other Side of Paradise

Re: Favourite Thing about AAI?

Post by Planetbox »

I think one of my favorite things about Investigations may be the ability to walk around in a top-down perspective! Especially because this lets me do my FAVORITE thing, wasting three minutes by running into a wall.
Vesti and Lauren's Interdimensional Investigations
This CYOA follows Vesti Gates and Lauren Tehra, two detectives who search for the truth, whether in their own dimension or otherwise.

Avatar from over here probably
Post Reply